Led Zeppelin

frankwhite

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i got Led Zeppelin II and III today so im gonna check em out :):)

please note that Zep III is very mellow compared to most of their other stuff, but it is a great album. do you have the song "Hey, Hey What Can I Do"? if so, listen to it in context with the rest of the album. it was recorded during those "III" sessions but for some reason they only released it as the b-side to "Immigrant Song".

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789
Zep lifted alot of stuff.

To new heights as well..

That's just not true. Listen to Otis Rush's "I Can't Quit You Baby", it's got 100 times the energy Led Zeppelin's version has. Sorry, but the real tragedy of their thievery is that they didn't really do anything too remarkable with most of it. The originals were never topped. Jimi Hendrix really adapted the blues effectively. I hate to say it, but most of the enthusiasm with which rock fans enjoy Led Zeppelin's blues material is the product of ignorance. Especially on the first two albums, their attempts at blues are simply embarrassing. Faked southern accents and shoddy harmonica playing is not good when compared with the real thing.

They were never going to sound like the original, and really if you're gonna cover something, do it as you, not as whoever did the song first.

Do people complain about how GNR's covers never sounded like Dylan, Aerosmith, or Wings?

Zeppelin built its rep on the energy of their playing and the music they created, and you say they didn't match Otis Rush's energy? they weren't going to. They were running on Zeppelin energy, which Otis can't match either.

Listen to that track, it's bland and uninteresting. Zeppelin energy did wonders, but not on that type of material.

listened to Zeppelin II. its kinda cool y'know :):):) that song Heartbreaker has the coolest riff, whole lotta love and living loving maid were the stand out tracks to me but there really isnt a bad song on the whole album. i'll be honest, it IS really good but i think its gonna require multiple listens to REALLY get into it whereas certain albums are just drop dead classics when you hear em on the spot, not to at all detract from this cuz it did kick ass its just kinda...all the extended instrumental bits take a bit to digest.

Edited by frankwhite

...living loving maid were the stand out tracks to me....

I think Page rates that as the worst Zeppelin song ever. I like it though.

REALLY????? shit i thought it was cool :):):) was it ever explained why he thought it werent all that?

I love Ramble On from that album. And Thank You.

The rest is brilliant too.

I never heard a reason why Living Loving Maid is so pushed away by the band members. I guess it was one of their more pop songs.

But then Plant hates Stairway, so what the fuck?

I love Ramble On from that album. And Thank You.

The rest is brilliant too.

I never heard a reason why Living Loving Maid is so pushed away by the band members. I guess it was one of their more pop songs.

But then Plant hates Stairway, so what the fuck?

Plant swears that when he wrote the words for Stairway - it was kinda an out of body experience - They were sitting in front of a fire and Page was picking thru

the notes and Plant's hand just started moving and most of the lyrics came from that instance

It was probably Mr. Crowley who wrote it then... :lol:

are we talking about the same Crowley as in Alaister Crowley, Thelema and shit?? whats he got to do with Led Zeppelin?!?!?!

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

There must have been about twenty minutes devoted to Led Zeppelin in an Ahmet Ertegun documentary on PBS last night, Ahmet was a real visionary to start off as a Jazz fanatic, and to see the potential of groups like Led Zeppelin later on.

got in through the out door now too!! :):):) havent even listened to fuckin Zeppelin III yet!

On III, Tangerine owns.

I think Gallows Pole and of course Since I've Been Loving You. rock3 But I think it's not the best Zep album.

Edited by Iceman24

got in through the out door now too!! :):):) havent even listened to fuckin Zeppelin III yet!

On III, Tangerine owns.

Indeed.. one of my favorite zep songs

just look in my sig! :lol:

Edited by JDRM