Led Zeppelin

frankwhite

i borrowed early days off a friend a year or so back...but i was kinda lookin' at it thru punk shades and although good times bad times, rock n roll, dazed n confused stuck out to me...i kinda...dismissed a lot of the others offhand and i guess i wasnt REALLY paying attention but anywayz...i hear this song played by somebody i THINK its called Black Dog i remember some of the lines roughly "been somethin somethin i found out what people mean by down and out" and "i dont know i been told big legged woman aint got no soul" (dont laugh, thats what it sounded like to me!!) and i jus been playin the nuts offa this song, over n over n over n over n over and i dont even know what its called, i just took the cd outta my friends car where i was listenin to it (it was a burn) and jus repeated that track over n over n over, i jus love it to bits, somethin bout that guitar bit is like....simple yet fuckin just totally totally perfect. so i figure fuck it and got all their albums today offa ebay (for under 50 bucks, pretty good i thought) assuming i got the right shit, led zeppelin 1 2 3 4, in through the out door, houses of the holy, presence and physical graphitti. kind of a dumb move considering i might hate the shit but somethin bout that song REALLY fucking turned me on. i hope their not another fucking pink floyd cuz i dunno...theres so much promise in that shit. this is prolly gonna sound insulting to hafta explain this shit to me cuz i know they're like, rock gods or whatever but tell me about em!!! i mean, albums, which ones good, which ones bad, did i get the right ones, am i missin one, who the fuck are they, i know this much bonham, drummer, dead, drugs, not gettin back together again. page singer sounds kinda like axl, plant guitarist, supposed to be hot shit...thats it. oh yeah, i remember hearin somethin about groupies and sharks once? and uh, they're from england, i dunno, someone help me out. really hope they dont suck but so what if they do, nothin ventured nothin gained and WHATEVER happens, that one song with be the shit until the shit dries up!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I got II, III and IV. A lot of it's boring and goes on too long. IV is predominantly good, but a lot of the songs just lack flavour and Plant's poor lyrics push me away. But I plan on getting more, maybe it'll give me the same effect you got.

oh and Jimmy Page, no hot shit. Very fucking over rated

Edited by pain cake

Yeah I got II, III and IV. A lot of it's boring and goes on too long. IV is predominantly good, but a lot of the songs just lack flavour and Plant's poor lyrics push me away. But I plan on getting more, maybe it'll give me the same effect you got.

oh and Jimmy Page, no hot shit. Very fucking over rated

yeah?? damn...

Zeppelin is awesome. Plant's voice is so impressive and the atmosphere between those 4 guys is unbelievable which can be seen especially at the concerts when they are just jamming and improvising, the feeling is so mysterious and magical. What else can I say, they are very talented and just awesome. That's why I don't get how so many seem not to get into them :tongue2:

Many people like the fourth album the most but I have to say that I really enjoy all of them. How The West Was Won (it wasn't in your list) is an interesting album too, worth of checking out.

Yeah, Bonzo died in 1980 due to an alcohol poisoning. The other three of them have done their solo stuff during these years. Most of those albums worth of listening too.

So if you ask me, I'd say that give Zeppelin a chance because imo it is the second greatest band ever after GN'R ;)

Edited by Mable

Zeppelin is something I never got into either. I mean I can see how they were revolutionary, influential, all of that. But somehow I just never enjoyed listening to them much. Something about their music as well as Plant's voice.

I always thought Stairway was overrated too.

100% agreed.

i thought people loved em around here for some reason.

You'll find that a large majority of rock fans will rate Zeppelin in their top 5 bands of all time. ;)

Their critics seem to be more outspoken than the fans though. :lol:

usually when you hear people ragging on Zep it just makes you roll your eyes and say "dumbass!".

and Jimmy Page is a fantastic guitarist. don't expect Steve Vai shit. just good ol' blues guitar and some really kick ass acoustic pickin' along with the most imitated and influential riffs of all time. other than that, yeah, he sucks.

Edited by artfromtex

Guest knerken

Buying a band's whole discography after hearing a few songs is not usually a very smart move, but in this case you probably won't regret. At least not the first four albums.

One of the best.

Put it this way Frank, there's a reason the band is still being talked about to this day. They were a British Invasion all by themselves. They were legendary for their 4 hour concerts, a lot of rumours of Satanic worshiping, going thru goupies like a man with a cold goes thru Kleenex, and for influencing pretty much every rocker you have ever, or will ever like, because the songs don't lie, they were some of the greatest.

One of the best.

Put it this way Frank, there's a reason the band is still being talked about to this day. They were a British Invasion all by themselves. They were legendary for their 4 hour concerts, a lot of rumours of Satanic worshiping, going thru goupies like a man with a cold goes thru Kleenex, and for influencing pretty much every rocker you have ever, or will ever like, because the songs don't lie, they were some of the greatest.

i was always into Aliester Crowley and i remember hearin one of em bought his house...whats the shark thing about tho, anyone know?

The shark story is from the book "Hammer of the Gods". In Seattle, their hotel had balconys where you could fish off of into Puget Sound. The roadies caught a big fish(probably not a shark though), and stuck the fish's head into a groupies snatch. No one knows if any Zep members were even in the room. Great story though, probably embillished.

On Richard Cole's book Stairway To Heaven he says it was in fact, a red snapper that they used, and that he did the fucking of the groupie with it. This is confirmed by a member of Vanilla Fudge's crew (or band, I can't remember), who filmed the thing on 8mm. Apparently members of the band were present but left once the event actually started...

Oh ya, and it was Jimmy Page who bought Crowley's mansion, he was the one obsessed with all the mystic dark arts stuff.

Edited by moreblack

This band is pretty un-touchable in my view

They hit on so many different styles and have a catalog of Rock classics that just about blows every other band ever assembled out of the water

Page is the greatest riff-machine to ever grace the Earth

I don't understand how a rock fan cannot listen to Achilles Last Stand or No Quarter and not fall in love with this band

I like Led Zeppelin, but I never really saw "all of it" as great.

I like alot of their stuff, obviously the hits, and their riffs are great, but some songs seem a little too indulgent and Plant's lyrics aren't always the greatest.

I appreciate they influence everyone and their mother, but I don't regard them as one of my favourite bands.

i didn't really like them either until about a month ago

i'd also listened my dad's '67-'71 compilation of their songs in the car and still didn't like them

but about a month ago I was going through some odler parts of "my world" and I came accross this

I looked at them a lot differently after reading all that and I gave them another try

for the past 4 weeks I couldn't get tired of them

and yeah, Black Dog is awesome - my 3rd fav song by them

Also frank, you might wanna check out How The West Was Won. Great live album, and shows how huge they were. During Whole Lotta Love, the play it till the solo (with extended middle 8), into Boogie Chillun, Lets Have A Party, Hello Marylou, Going Down Slow before ending it with Whole Lotta Love again.

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

More than any other group, Led Zeppelin epitomized the Hard Rock of the 1970s. On the whole, they were a supremely talented group, and the sheer amount of quality music they recorded is remarkable. Much like the period they represented so accurately, however, they had some glaring flaws. I don't respect highway robberies like "Whole Lotta Love", and I don't enjoy them either. Most of their Blues Rock oriented material is unremarkable in my eyes. When they did stretch out, however, and really flex their versatility, beginning with Led Zeppelin IV I'd say, they were just about untouchable. "The Song Remains the Same" is as tuneful and "progressive" as anything released by the likes of Rush and Yes. But then, they suffered more than any other group from the excesses of the times. Some genre experiments, such as "The Crunge", are inauthentic and simply embarrassing. Their live show speaks volumes. Most of the time, they were a well-oiled machine, delivering song after song with punishing ferocity. But "over" extended solo spots from Page and Co. can become extremely tiresome, I don't think anyone honestly enjoys all of it. It was fitting that such an uncompromising group could only be halted by tragedy. In the years that have passed, accolades have been piled high, especially on Jimmy Page. I feel that Jimmy Page is far overrated, and other players such as Jeff Beck, Rory Gallagher, and Rod Price merit greater attention. John Bonham was indeed one of the best to man the drum set, with only Keith Moon, Mitch Mitchell, and a few others being within compare (as rock players). No matter how ridiculously the group is praised, however, they will always be a great rock band.

Led Zeppelin are awesome. rock3

I recommend you to buy a DVD, like The Song Remains The Same, there you will find this kick-ass version of Since I've Been Loving you. One of the best blues songs ever. B)

And Page is one of my favourite guitarists ever. ;)

I recommend you to buy a DVD, like The Song Remains The Same, there you will find this kick-ass version of Since I've Been Loving you. One of the best blues songs ever. B)

would u believe it, im watchin that now (10 mins in and not a song yet) i thought it was a like...entire gig show? so far this is like the magical mystery tour to new york

would u believe it, im watchin that now (10 mins in and not a song yet) i thought it was a like...entire gig show? so far this is like the magical mystery tour to new york

you've got to remeber that not all bands spoon feed you a 3-min song with concise lyrics and meaning that isnt hard to process. In my opinion, the best bands are those that you have to work (to a degree) to enjoy and get the most out of. once you finally do crack a band, then its really rewarding.