06/02/07 Monterrey, Mexico Discussion Thread

GNR 1991

Now i'm glad i've got front row seats for the melbourne shows

My legs would get tired if I had to stand up in the mosh till after midnight

I hope Axl keeps it to mostly the old song's for Australia

Me likes the hits ;)

I hope so too. I don't want to be at a concert where they play a heap of songs I dont know. I want to be able to sing along and get right into it.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's official.....if the tour continues in this fashion, then it is total bullshit. Waiting until 1:00 AM to get onstage? WTF?! There are so many other great bands that have no difficulty getting onstage by 10:00pm everynight, why does GNR get to wait until 1:00 AM? This bands is not out there to play for their fans. There are other motives and money is obviously the most likely answer. They're playing the same setlist.....surprise, surprise. I've got absolutely no interest in this tour unless they start playing new, unheard material and Axl and the boys can get their shit together and start showing respect for the people that spend their hard-earned money on purchasing tickets to see these GNR shows. Axl may think that he doesn't need fans and, personally I believe, if he continues to act disrespectfully towards them, then he SHOULDN'T HAVE ANY.

Dude, Go away.

Dude, Go away? Haahaa. Just not liking what you don't want to hear.

If they don't start changing the set soon, I will never go to a concert again. I mean, come on, why play obscure tracks that nobody even cares about (Welcome To The Jungle, Nightrain, November Rain... those are fuckin awkward and should've stayed as B-sides)

Axl and the band better start giving something to the fans and ditch all those unknown tracks for fantastic fan-favourites like You Ain't The First (THE PERFECT OPENER OMG), Silkworms and My World.

rock1

If they don't start changing the set soon, I will never go to a concert again. I mean, come on, why play obscure tracks that nobody even cares about (Welcome To The Jungle, Nightrain, November Rain... those are fuckin awkward and should've stayed as B-sides)

Axl and the band better start giving something to the fans and ditch all those unknown tracks for fantastic fan-favourites like You Ain't The First (THE PERFECT OPENER OMG), Silkworms and My World.

rock1

Oooooooookay? Perhaps if you had said Coma, Dead Horse, Right Next Door to Hell or 14 Years, I could get on board. But I'll take Nightrain over all of those everyday... And WTTJ will be one you'll see in EVERY GNR concert until Axl disappears. Sorry.

Edited by saber-six

why would they play any different songs? those guys are just getting what people had on the europe/american tour, its just their turn.

believe it or not the band wont change things just to satisfy the board bitchers.

It's official.....if the tour continues in this fashion, then it is total bullshit. Waiting until 1:00 AM to get onstage? WTF?! There are so many other great bands that have no difficulty getting onstage by 10:00pm everynight, why does GNR get to wait until 1:00 AM? This bands is not out there to play for their fans. There are other motives and money is obviously the most likely answer. They're playing the same setlist.....surprise, surprise. I've got absolutely no interest in this tour unless they start playing new, unheard material and Axl and the boys can get their shit together and start showing respect for the people that spend their hard-earned money on purchasing tickets to see these GNR shows. Axl may think that he doesn't need fans and, personally I believe, if he continues to act disrespectfully towards them, then he SHOULDN'T HAVE ANY.

Dude, Go away.

Sorry man, I think I was trying to respond to another Axl Hater, it just gets under my skin how all these supposed fans have so much to say hateful about the Axl and the Band, it's such Bullshit, this is The Democracy Tour, he's on stage, it's very exciting to me, I believe he has a Plan.. I'm just personally satisfied that he showed up.. so sorry,, Peace. I guess they could be a little cooler to us though..

how the fuck do u put pix on this forum..i got em but dont know how to do it

when you reply look up above the text you are typing and you will see a row of buttons. the 6th button, or second from the smiley selector is an"inset pic" button. they you choose the file from your comp.

do it now!! lol

Okay, I have ONLY one possible theory why Axl is still touring -

I think it’s because he does it for fun, and he’s just enjoying himself.

I have nothing against this, but why all the broken promises? You said we would hear updates, you said we would hear new music.

Honestly, he’s touring under the same name with completely different musicians. None of them helped write the songs they are playing at the moment, with the slightest exception of Dizzy Reed.

Why can’t you play something new Axl? Sebastian Bach thinks they are killer, you’re telling me that Chinese Democracy is coming soon or an update would follow. Bullshit. Complete Bullshit.

So, with that being said, Axl is only touring because he wants to. He’s not supporting anything. No album.

rock1

Oooooooookay? Perhaps if you had said Coma, Dead Horse, Right Next Door to Hell or 14 Years, I could get on board. But I'll take Nightrain over all of those everyday... And WTTJ will be one you'll see in EVERY GNR concert until Axl disappears. Sorry.

Ever heard of sarcasm? ;)

Dude, Go away.

Sorry man, I think I was trying to respond to another Axl Hater, it just gets under my skin how all these supposed fans have so much to say hateful about the Axl and the Band, it's such Bullshit, this is The Democracy Tour, he's on stage, it's very exciting to me, I believe he has a Plan.. I'm just personally satisfied that he showed up.. so sorry,, Peace. I guess they could be a little cooler to us though..

No, no. That was me hating on Mr. Rose. Don't get me wrong.... I love the new GNR but Axl is really holding these guys back from releasing some kick-ass music. It's cool that you are happy with Axl actually meeting his tour obligations. Personally, I expect more from bands I like than for the frontman to simply show up to the show. I expect that he/she respects his/her fans and realizes that the fans are the reason that he can get his ass up on stage and play rock concerts and release albums for a living.

No, no. That was me hating on Mr. Rose. Don't get me wrong.... I love the new GNR but Axl is really holding these guys back from releasing some kick-ass music. It's cool that you are happy with Axl actually meeting his tour obligations. Personally, I expect more from bands I like than for the frontman to simply show up to the show. I expect that he/she respects his/her fans and realizes that the fans are the reason that he can get his ass up on stage and play rock concerts and release albums for a living.

Are you still trolling in this thread? I thought you said a few pages back that you had no interest in this tour until the album comes out and would therefore stop posting. Here's your exact quote in case you forgot:

" I've got absolutely no interest in this tour unless they start playing new, unheard material and Axl and the boys can get their shit together and start showing respect for the people that spend their hard-earned money on purchasing tickets to see these GNR shows...."

So why are you still spamming the thread with posts dissing the band? We don't allow cupcakes on the forum.

Please restrict your posting to the GNR Early Days section where your interests (if you have any in the band) lies. If you don't, your posting days will come to an abrupt end.

Picture this, what if Guns came to Mexico, playing nine new songs and a bunch of obscure material of the Illusion albums.

Don't you think the fans would be pissed not hearing Nightrain, Paradise City and November Rain?

Sure, it'd please the forums but the shows are meant to enjoy those attending (and perhaps for the first time), not some conspiracy theorists on an internet forum.

Sure, but what's the excuse for every other show Axl has done in the last five years?

You people don't get it. The audience Axl was playing in front of means JACK SHIT. You can try to use the excuse that the crowd in Mexico wanted to hear the old stuff - OK, here's the problem, it's the SAME setlist from the U.S. tour in 2002. It's the SAME setlist from last summer's European tour. It's the SAME setlist from last year's U.S. tour. Now we're back to another tour and it's still the SAME setlist.

...and people should be use to this bullshit by now. The band will continue to play all the old hits because, as it seems, Axl either doesn't have any other songs, or he refuses to do any of the other new ones!

The album is never going to come out, and people will continue to follow this nutcase. I gave up on him a long time ago...but I had to see if the setlist changed, figuring maybe I could be wrong...when I saw the same, repeated setlist that we've had for the last 2-3? years, I just laughed.

Picture this, what if Guns came to Mexico, playing nine new songs and a bunch of obscure material of the Illusion albums.

Don't you think the fans would be pissed not hearing Nightrain, Paradise City and November Rain?

Sure, it'd please the forums but the shows are meant to enjoy those attending (and perhaps for the first time), not some conspiracy theorists on an internet forum.

Sure, but what's the excuse for every other show Axl has done in the last five years?

You people don't get it. The audience Axl was playing in front of means JACK SHIT. You can try to use the excuse that the crowd in Mexico wanted to hear the old stuff - OK, here's the problem, it's the SAME setlist from the U.S. tour in 2002. It's the SAME setlist from last summer's European tour. It's the SAME setlist from last year's U.S. tour. Now we're back to another tour and it's still the SAME setlist.

...and people should be use to this bullshit by now. The band will continue to play all the old hits because, as it seems, Axl either doesn't have any other songs, or he refuses to do any of the other new ones!

The album is never going to come out, and people will continue to follow this nutcase. I gave up on him a long time ago...but I had to see if the setlist changed, figuring maybe I could be wrong...when I saw the same, repeated setlist that we've had for the last 2-3? years, I just laughed.

Chinese Democracy isn't coming out. I'm glad I agree with someone here. However, if the record company did something about it, than Chinese Democracy would be closer to existence.

I don't know about everyone else, but it's a little bit harder to support Axl when he's the only one left in Guns N' Roses, and his hired musicians are playing cover songs of the old band.

I'll still support him, I love his new leaks. Hopefully he'll put those leaks into good use eventually.

...and I hope this place isn't starting to become HTGTH Part II. The last time I knew, people were allowed to have an opinion here. It's one of these reasons I joined up here. If the band has a bad show or if Axl is up to his usual bullshit, then people should be allowed to post about it and discuss it.

It's one to have an opinion in a thread and it's another to cupcake....there is a difference.

Anyway, like I've said before, I love the band's music, and I can't really blame anything on any of the other band members except for Axl. He's the one that controls everything and the guy has obviously lost any sense he had.

He's still going on late, he's lied about this supposed "album" time and time again, etc etc.

Keep giving the fans lies and excuses while you pull out another Rehash Tour, only it's called the "Chinese Democracy" Tour...isn't this Chinese Democracy Tour Part III now?

The hardcore fans have finally been seeing the light and it's only gonna get worse for Axl, the band, and any GNR forum until he finally puts out this album....until then, anything he says or does means nothing.

Chinese Democracy isn't coming out. I'm glad I agree with someone here. However, if the record company did something about it, than Chinese Democracy would be closer to existence.

I don't know about everyone else, but it's a little bit harder to support Axl when he's the only one left in Guns N' Roses, and his hired musicians are playing cover songs of the old band.

I'll still support him, I love his new leaks. Hopefully he'll put those leaks into good use eventually.

Hell, even if this album really does exist, it'll get leaked before Axl finally decides to release it, and I honestly hope it happens that way...serves him right for jerkin off the fans for as long as he has.

There are plnety of other bands that can be on time, play new setlists, and release new albums. There shouldn't have to be "Well, it's Guns N' Roses, that's just how it is".....Fuck that.

People shouldn't have to justify supporting axl rose on a GNR forum, people need to stop whining about the set list to, those songs are what the majority of ppl at the shows expect to hear. People who post axl is a dick and claiming that he wont release the cd cuz he's afraid of failure just think that axl might scan that thread and go "fuck that, im gonna prove "gnr tit boy34" wrong!" The amount of internet bullying inside this forum is amazing, i don't see why ppl cant get along here. odds are if you ran into each other at a club you'd all love each other cuz you just met a random person who loves gnr.

...and I hope this place isn't starting to become HTGTH Part II. The last time I knew, people were allowed to have an opinion here. It's one of these reasons I joined up here. If the band has a bad show or if Axl is up to his usual bullshit, then people should be allowed to post about it and discuss it....

Expressing an opinion or offering constructive criticism is one thing - but posting the same drivel dissing the band over and over again in a thread discussing a show that you weren't even at - is another thing.

So, some of you wanted a new setlist. We get it. We've now heard it over and over ad nauseum by the same two or three people over and over again in this thread. We get it. That's trolling.

For most of us - it's easy to understand why the band played the classics for fans in Mexico who haven't seen the new band perform yet. The new band also hasn't been to Australia yet - so I'm guessing it will play the classics there too - and rightfully so!

Most normal fans also understand why it would make no sense for Axl to start playing a bunch of new songs before the album drops. If he did this, the songs would be recorded and posted as MP3s on the Net before the band even left the stage. Also, people wouldn't recognize the songs, which would make it tough to keep the energy and momentum going at the show.

If the band comes back to the U.S. and starts playing cities it played in the last two tours - and has the same setlist - then you'll have something to complain about. In fact - if that happens - I'll join you in your critique.

People shouldn't have to justify supporting axl rose on a GNR forum, people need to stop whining about the set list to, those songs are what the majority of ppl at the shows expect to hear. People who post axl is a dick and claiming that he wont release the cd cuz he's afraid of failure just think that axl might scan that thread and go "fuck that, im gonna prove "gnr tit boy34" wrong!" The amount of internet bullying inside this forum is amazing, i don't see why ppl cant get along here. odds are if you ran into each other at a club you'd all love each other cuz you just met a random person who loves gnr.

Well said.

I couldn't agree more.

2007-06-02

Arena Monterrey

Monterrey, México

Review by Superloconoriega

(I'm sorry if there any errors in the spelling, note that my first language ain't english)

After 2 and a half hours of good sleep in the plane and half an hour taxi drive to the arena i was more than ready to finally see GNR live. After moved and cancelled dates around the san diego area i decided that having to fly to see axl and the boys was going to be the last option.

The taxi driver left me right outside of the arena, where at least 20 bootleg stands formed what it seemed to be a rock n' roll swapt meet. This obiously had to hurt the sales of the two little official GNR stand that were placed inside of the arena. This official stands sold t-shirts in gray and yellow versions of the new circle logo ($15) that's on the gnr site background, a poster with the same star logo (this one: http://www.newgnr.com/pix/ontour/photos/mo...b8.jpg_t400.jpg ) ($40) and strangely the unofficial bootlegs chicago 92 and sex n drugs n rock n roll. No tin candle lights. I couldn't believe it either. In the other side of the coin, the bootleg stands sold EVERYTHING, including the Kill Your Idols T-shirt. Mugs, Jack-Daniels style of shirts, Guns N' Roses Was Here (Appetite original artwork) tour t-shirts with the new dates and a lot of other cool designs.

Next step, of course, linning up for the entrance. As soon as i was formed i knew what kind of crowd was going to be. A lady in their 30's something who had been in an original line up concert and a guy who was 24 that refused to accept the new incarnation as GNR, but respect axl anyways. The only new songs they had heard were Oh My God (which i found strange, since i tought this one of the least known new songs) and Madagascar.

They let us in at about 7 and a half ( i'm sorry if the times are incorrect, but i'm doing my best trying to remember). Most people were still buying drinks or just chattin' and this allowed me to get a good 2nd / 3rd row spot right at the right side of stage (that later on the night 0turned out to be Richard's and Ron's side). Dizzy's, Pittman's and Frank's part of the set (upstairs i guess) was covered.

Opening band started at i guess 9 and half? I really didnt even know what time was when i was there, let alone can remember it now. First song was OK, but got a wave of boo's. Second song, almost the same as the first, but with even more boo's at the end. Girl comes to deliver a guitar. By the start of the third it was apparent that the crowd was there to see GNR and nothing more. The band finish the third song and said something along the lines of you know what we wont play anymore and left the stage. The mexican version of the Eagles Of Death Metal if you will... Same guitar girl comes to pick more instruments and it's greeted with TABLE chants.

And the first long wait begins. By this time i noticed that the guy to my left looked like a chubby version of Will Ferrell and that entertained me for a few minutes. There as also a guy who only spoke english right in the front line who looked exactly like Chad Channing from Nirvana. I'm pretty sure that guy posts in the forums but i couldn't really ask him. When i got bored my ipod served me well and entertained me for some more time. Since i had a pretty decent view of the back of the stage (but not exactly backstage area) i could see Del James hangin' there and the guys from the second opening band taking pictures. During this whole time that i was listening to my ipod several chants in the audience happened. I can't remember which ones exactly, but this is pretty common thing in Mexico (and i guess in the whole world)..One hour or so after the first opening band left the stage the next band comes in (I think they were called maligno, i'm not sure) ..

Ok. Who the hell chooses the openers? Stinson again? Worst excuse of metal band ever. The singer couldn't stop making the DIO horns sign and the guitar player looked exactly like a mexican version of dimebag (without the sombrero), but i must say that they at least had the center of the arena floor on their side, since a couple of applauses appeared after the first song (but still nothing compared to a new wave of loud boo's, FUERA (leave) and PUTO (fag) chants. I could see a guy singin' a long to the songs a few persons behind me, which i found strange. Singer almost tripped after a song. They played what i guess were 6 or 7 songs, all as stereotypical-stupid metal as can be, and between songs the singer tried to gain the crowd by asking who was thirsty and throwing free water, but most of the free bottles were thrown back to the stage. GUNS N' ROSES chants between songs, specially during the end of the last one. Couple of applauses and a lots of boo's and that was it for maligno... and the second wait begins.

Being a DMF (if you don't know you ain't supposed to be reading this) i already knew the waiting was going to be a long one, but i never expect to be such a long one. Thank god for my ipod. The crew started to set up everything, starting by checking out the drum set, spending a lot of time setting up pittman's keyboards, and testing the mic's. Audioslave, The Raconteurs, Foo Fighters and more were played over this long period of waiting. During the very first minutes of the set up i could see Del James hangin' by the side of the stage, and he appeared to be having a nice time (along with most of GNR crew). He dissapeared after the first half hour of waiting and the faces of the crew turned from smiles and laughs to evident preocupation. The crew looked to be doing things in a way to make time, like if they knew they had to be slow. They checked Pittman's keyboards in 4 ocations, taped the setlist to the floor, one by one, each one 20 or so minutes after the other. The camera man where lifted in a special seat and the poor guys had to wait at least 1 hour up there, but at least he had a seat...

Things in the audience side weren't going OK. A guy in the seated section was scorted out by security by doing i don't know why. Crowd started to do the wave thing, and succeded after 5 failed attempts. Between 3 or 4 plastic cups of beer were thrown to the stage. I got bored and turned my ipod off. Finally had the balls to tell the guy next to me that he looked exactly like Will Ferrell, and everybody on my side agreed. By this time i was fucking tired, my back was feeling like hell and i was very thirsty. Will Ferrell and other guys next to me, not wanting to loose the 2nd row spot convinced a lady to bring us soda, and she did it. Fucking miracle she came back... More chit-chat... Will Ferrell started to get angry and a couple of bring maligno band chants erupted. By this time 2 hours or so of waiting had happened and for the first time i tought there was going to be a cancellation. Nobody had seen axl in the city, and Del James was nowhere to be seen near the stage as he had been most of the show.. Then, the worst thing happened. The arena screens showed us a message that read : IN A COUPLE OF MINUTES THE BAND GUNS AND ROSES (guns n' roses in red) WILL TAKE THE STAGE, THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE. This is obiously to calm down the people before the cancelation's made, Will Ferrell and i tought....

But i was wrong

(play Welcome To The Jungle in your computer please)

Lights Out. Fucking Hell. They were indeed going to play. But i haven't seen anybody. Exorcist theme. Screen's On. Jungle Riff, where the fuck was Robin? I couldn't see him. I see Dizzy. They're here... then, out of nowhere, BUM! lights, lyrics start. Axl looking exactly as dangerous as you would want. Fuck the he's too old shit, he could probably beat the shit out of you with the eyes closed if he wanted. Ron holds up Rey Mysterio Jr's mask. Fortus right in front of me, looking maniac, and i'm not saying that in a good way. You see, you read that this guy sends fans instructions on how to play guitar, kisses little babies ... well, that guy's gone. This guy makes more strange faces than sanyaja singing. He looks ultra-drugged. He looks like the type of guy who would make the old band members pee their pants, moving on. Jungle continues. Finck gets to my side. Looking a little bit older than he does in the internet, but cool anyways. People singin' along like crazy. It was fucking incredible to see how the whole audience, who was fucking pissed and screaming bullshit a minute before was on their feets and going nuts in another. Tommy moves closer to my side... OK, this was the worst part of the whole concert. Tommy looked horrible, and i can't stress this enough. His face was (at least to me) a little bit disfigured, if he was a fucking zombie. Yeah, zombie, that's the word...

It's So Easy and Mr.Brownstone. I'm one of those that hates the repetition of setlists, but the first 3 songs in that order work very well, very fast-paced. The fact that these three songs were played in that order saved the show. Ron looks awesome, he was wearing HUGE boots with HUGE heels. He's ultra skinny now, you wouldn't recognise him if the only referense you had was the braids and cap photos circa 2000. He looks just awesome, way younger than he is. He looked like if he was only 23. He threw guitar picks at least 3 times my side of the stage, causing a friendly fight for it. At the end of either Brownstone or Live And Let Die he and Finck raised a sign that read AXL WLECOME BACK WE MISSED YOU, wich was fucking awesome and i hope a pic of that surfaces. He played the next song covered in the sign, and helt it up backwards in one occasion. LOL. A lot of people were throwing shirts and stuff to him so he would held it up. One of those persons threw a hat and almost hit Fortus in the face, but thank god he avoided it. Live And Let Die was good, couldn't really hear well Axl's Voice. Axl jokes about Frank's Pimped-Metal purple drum set. Frank was wearing a red bandana covering his mouth for the first songs by the way Finck's solo.. OK? I was surprised people weren't booing, which was my biggest fear. Sweet Child O'Mine, huge response. I think that either during the end of this one or Live And Let Die, Finck tried to run to his amp to get the distortion sound and almost knocked Tommy by accident, and neither of them looked happy.

Better, the fist of the new songs was next and i was for what i can tell the only guy in the arena singing along. Axl's 2002 voice hinted a return during the first line of the screaming part, but by the second was long gone for the rest of the night. Knocking On Heaven's Door, Axl's right in front of me, cool ending, tommy looks he's into the song. Looks Awesome. You Could Be Mine, Bumblefoot OWNS this song, and Tommy's bass really makes it sound good. Song Ends, Frank Ferrer starts the Guns N Roses chants. Another solo. Surprised me that a couple of the fans knew the song and where singing along. Thank god it wasnt long. By this time i tought that it was obious that they were going faster than usual, with very few jams between songs as they usually do. Also most of the solos were very short in comparation to other previous shows. The Blues starts, and somebody recognises it. Surprised me again. Sounds Good. The same goes for Out Ta Get Me. Fortus screaming I'm not innocent right in front of me. November Rain's next, get's huge response. I.R.S., just like Better, i was the only guy singing along to it, awesome version. I can see beta at the side, just watching the band. Seems to be different from the latest leak in the solo, but's most probably a live improvisation. Bumblefoot plays some mexican sounding song, then goes straight to Don't Cry, without any strange songs in between. For me that was when i knew they had to hurry up. My Michelle's up next, and i miss Bach. I mean, if Bach would have been the opening act i can assure you i wouldn't had really cared that much for the 2 plus hours of waiting. This song needs Bach from now on. Patience's up next, and also gets a huge response. Nightrain. Good One Too. Oh man, i couldn't wait. After finishing it they were going to come back and finck would climb up the stairs and start to play the Chinese Democracy intro and....

and...

And they came back, but straight to Paradise City. I couldn't believe it. No the now classic encore opener Chinese Democracy, no Madagacascar, no last to one usual Rocket Queen. Crowd went wild anyways, since most of them don't know this is always the last one. Mini moshpit starts for the first time right at the beginning of the verse. Axl's ON in this one, running from one side to another. Monterrey, Good, Fucking, Night. Song Ends. Band gets together for the applause, go offstage and that's it. Lights On. Overall, it was a very good show, but when you know that this band can give you more than a very good show you can't help but feel dissapointed.

We go outside the arena. Bootleg stands still there. White Van comes out, people at the sides, apparently it was the band. I was surprised, since the show must have had ended no more than 15 minutes ago, but that was it. They came, they rocked and they where gone.