This Rio show was a complete DISASTER

D..

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The weather was pretty bad.. you could see the water splashing when Axl walked the stage.

They still went on for hours to give a show and they played Estranged.

Maybe it could have been better, but I'm just happy they played Estranged. You try standing in the pouring rain in front of thousands of fans until 5 am or something like that.. it must have been hard.

after watching this show i honestly would prefer not to go to the show next saturday which i have tickets to... the only motivation i have to make a 5 hours trip and wait until whenever the fuck axl decides to hit the stage is that i spent a good amount of money and that i'll hopefully get some estranged... so fuckin dissappointed... and i had so many expectations to attending this show since i could barely hear axl at the show last year, i'm sick of it

Yeah, let's pretend the show didn't happen. Maybe the voice wasn't shitty and he knew the words to the songs IRL

And regardless of the performance, let's pretend Axl didn't throw a hissy fit.

Let's also pretend he was on par with his bandmates because, what do we know, we weren't there.

Or maybe we could realize who the weak link of this band is ?

Yeah, let's pretend the show didn't happen. Maybe the voice wasn't shitty and he knew the words to the songs IRL

Let's also pretend he was on par with his bandmates because, what do we know, we weren't there.

Or maybe we could realize who the weak link of this band is ?

Don't go there.

there has and never will be any fault with Him.

It's always someone or something else.

Haven't you learned?

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

Axl didn’t throw an all-out hissy fit akin to the likes of Dublin. Considering he was performing from effectively a swimming pool I was impressed at how well he supressed his frustrations (going as far as to ridicule his own patience).

I will NOT complain about a show I DID NOT attend plain and simple

Yeah but it's ok to compliment a show you did not attend?? So we can't state an opinion about the setlist, because we weren't there. We can't state our opinion on Axl's voice, again, because we weren't there. We can't state our opinion on the show because well, we weren't there?? It does say this is a DISCUSSION and news section above. Granted we shouldn't be vulgar or make personal attacks on anyone, but we can and will discuss what we hear and see, unless this forum has changed it's stance?

It was very sad and difficult for me to watch. Blatantly forgetting lyrics, gasping for breath between short phrases, theres just no excuse for somebody who is supposed to be a professional musician headlining one of the biggest shows in the world. He wasn't singing those songs like he owned the fuck out him, he was struggling, he sounded like he was drowning in his own lyrics, it... was not good, and it was so painfully obvious that he was letting himself down. Remember the end of November Rain? He came in with the piano part at like double time and sat there stiff as a brick for the whole outro without doing any vocals. He knows that performance sucked as well as anybody who was watching it.

Yeah but it's ok to compliment a show you did not attend?? So we can't state an opinion about the setlist, because we weren't there. We can't state our opinion on Axl's voice, again, because we weren't there. We can't state our opinion on the show because well, we weren't there?? It does say this is a DISCUSSION and news section above. Granted we shouldn't be vulgar or make personal attacks on anyone, but we can and will discuss what we hear and see, unless this forum has changed it's stance?

To be fair I think he's just expressing his opinions and knowing he met Axl and the band on a personal level, it's comprehensible he won't criticize, I get that.

As long as this topic remains open, I don't mind at all, it's his opinion and a honest one.

Guest gunns5

To be fair I think he's just expressing his opinions and knowing he met Axl and the band on a personal level, it's comprehensible he won't criticize, I get that.

As long as this topic remains open, I don't mind at all, it's his opinion and a honest one.

Criticizing a performance, albeit viewed on youtube or in a live setting is perfectly fine, as long as you don't take any personal punches which is what Young gun said above.

Choosing to withhold your honest opinion based upon what relationship you have with certain band/band members is just being a blind sheep in my opinion. I love this band and everyone in it, but I will say if they do a bad performance just as they, the band members would openly admit it themselves if they believed so. Just as I would compliment them if they tore RIO to shreds. It DOESN'T make you any less of a fan, regardless of what those who wish to nurture the holy grail of idealistic views want you to think.

Edited by gunns5

Yes there were some mistakes but this show was FAR from a disaster. It had highs and lows, ups and downs and yes Axl flubbed some parts he shouldn't have but FUCK you guys acting like it's the end of the world......did we see the same show? They also played in a damn torrent, for close to 3 hours.....

I mean----yes there are some spots to criticize---and lord knows the Mygnr board will find those spots, but seriously? DJ and the band played their hearts out tonight----sounded awesome! Estranged was EPIC, and there were other high spots as well. Axl is NOT a God.....he's human and makes poor choices just like the rest of us----in most cases those choices are magnified at least 10X by virtue of the fact that he's under a microscope, but a disaster? Really? Not in my book....it was on the whole a kickass 2.5 hr rockshow that i'm damn glad I stayed up to see.

Relax, everyone take a deep fuckin' breath, calm------a nuclear attack is not happening, the band ain't over, and remember......

It's ONLY Rock N Roll.

rock1

Edited by JayceAce23

I don't think it was a complete disaster, sure his voice wasn't perfect but it seemed like they put on a good show, it's not going to go down in the GN'R history books but it wasn't completely bad. Weather was awful and you can't really get the atmosphere of a concert via a live stream - the audience seemed to be having a great time. Could it have gone a lot better - sure but it's live music - if I wanted perfection I'd listen to the albums. I think half the problem is that people got so overly excited thinking he'd mention CD II, play tons of new songs and change up the setlist a great deal which was based on nothing but speculation. I'll agree the show felt a bit strange in that this is the first tour that doesn't seem overly special in that '01/'02 was a comeback with an interesting new band and new songs, '06 he was in great shape and CD seemed right around the corner and then '09/'10 it was the first tour after CD and the first opportunity to hear songs that hadn't been played before from that album. Now nothing seems on the horizon so I guess this tour is a bit 'meh' but still it was a good show, much better than other bands out there and indeed far more entertaining than the Myles/Slash shows. Sure Axl should rehearse more but even singers who rehearse like hell screw up now and again. As I said before, it's live music and as such shit happens.

On topic, can someone please tell me what Tommy is saying to Axl at 01:56 here:

I hear "haven't seen you in humm over a yeah man" and I can't hear the rest clearly. Axl looks deadly disappointed after that and doesn't look like wanting to sing Paradise City.

It's the saddest gig I've seen for sure, really pains me as fuck.

edit: kudos to you gunsguy, at least you remain faithful to your positions, I appreciate it. I'm just not the kind of person to hide my feelings.

What tommy says is "hey man I havent seen you in a year...a little over a year. That sounds really fucking good as far as I am concerned"

But I don't know if he is saying that to Axl or someone else in the band.

But wow, the band was on fire. I don't think I have ever heard them sound that good, and Axl will be fine...We don't know what kind of conditions he was performing under. And I watched about 5mins each of the other bands that were on before gnr, and they sounded like shit. But since this is gnr, anything less than studio quality live=shit.

I'll still be buying my ticket to see them in the states.

Bad weather - no excuse for bad, ball-less performance. watch Motley Crue's performance in Buenos Aires in 2008, when it POURED DOWN, there was nobody mopping the floor and the band delivered one of the 5 best shows of their lives, beiong that one of the members was SIXTY YEARS OLD and suffers from ankylosing spondilitis, which tends to inflammate under umidity. Detail: they came on in due time.

The age factor - bullshit. See Slash and Duff and then observe Axl. Who has aged more gracefully?

Professionalism - When you MISS your flight from Los Angeles to Rio due to....?, it sort of becomes obvious you do not have much concern for what should be your ONE AND ONLY chance to solidly promote your first US tour in 5 years. Why could he have missed a flight? His car broke down and he had no money for a cab? His brother, who was supposed to give him a ride didn't show up? You do not have to be a professional singer to acknowledge that 'no sleep = no voice'. So he arrives in a country at lunch time for a gig at night?

Set list - Didn't have a problem with that. But by having no news songs in it, I think a new album won't come out before MAYBE 2014.

Forgetting lyrics - Come the fuck on. This has kind of followed Axl ever since 1991, when he demanded monitors with lyrics supposedly because there were 'too many' of songs from the UYI albums to be memorized. FUCK THAT. Professional singers can remember up to 4 hours of lyrics in opera plays, in 2, 3 different languages and don't go through this kind of embarassment live. Why? Because they CARE about putting a good performance, they REHEARSE, they know you are there SUPPORTING THEM.

I do think the band will get tighter and tighter and will be in a different shape when they hits the US. But honestly, why would somebody pay $$ to see the exact same show they saw back in 2006 [in the Unites States' case]? No new songs, stage production is no big deal, there is nothing to be promoted or talked about by radio or TV.

Who would have thought that, by 2011, Slash would be sober and touring solidly, never showing up late, never being dragged onstage, getting fat paychecks to elaborate 20 second solos to the industry's top acts, releasing albums as a 'solo' artist, putting out a live DVD [something GNR fans may just FORGET about] while 'the man with the plan' would have come down to this?

The extra weight also makes quite the impact on your voice and your breath.

And seeing Axl in this way makes me think he just doesn't seem to care enough.

You have COUNTLESS performers out there that do everything they possibly can to sound the best they can. Work out, vocal coach, rehearsing with the band, etc.

I don't understand why Axl doesn't follow suit?

Sorry for my english, but I willl try.

The press is usually very hard to Axl. But I am suprised with this forum, because it is actually the only place I found with this amount of criticism.Even the press is being positive. I have just wacthed it again on youtube... I think it was a great show, with some problems near the end (NR and Patience). But it was great. Come on...Axl is the reason why we still here. I think we should stop blaming. You just want Axl to don´t be Axl. RIR 2 was the firts time that the band played live with Matt. A lot of little mistakes... But is as so cool !!! Maybe you were Better fans then??.... because seems like you dont´t want rock n´roll attitude.

I suggest Shakira for you. Otherwise, there is a US tour coming, and most of you are waiting for that for a long time. So, enjoy it !