This Rio show was a complete DISASTER

D..

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to admit, I have not seen a single second of the Rio gig. I'll take a look soon..

I'm shocked to read so much stuff about the un prepared Axl Rose..

I have to admit, I found it odd he should miss his flight, and when he did show up walking through airport, didn't look like a happy person, atleast he didn't look like some about to front a big gig. You'd have thought he would have arrived in Rio some days before the gig, hung out with the hired-hands and did a sound check. Did Axl Rose do a sound check ?

I've read all these comments about forgetting words / verses ? - the guy only has one job to focus on, and thats to remember the words to a handful of songs he's sung a 1000 times over and he can't even manage that ? - what's up with him ?

Edited by star

Anyway with that said, I couldn't help but notice how out of shape Axl is....and yeah I know he is 50 and that is part of aging and all that crap, but I know plenty of people his age, who don't really make a conscious effort to stay in shape, that look better; Not only that, I know for a fact that weight gain can change your voice and well Axl's voice sounded really flat last night. Perhaps the weight gain is the problem.

The weight itself is not really the problem.

Being out of breath and not rehearsing is.

Edited by Lethalis

Don't post here much but felt the need to after watching the RiR performance last night/this morning....

Its such a shame that things went down the way they did...

It looked as though Axl was on something he looked completely glazed over at times... Maybe its not a case of not preparing it could be that the guy isn't well lets face it we know nothing about his personal life... I realise forgetting lyrics of songs he must have sang 1000's of times is completely inexcusable but for me a few early mistakes seemed to throw him out of sync and it snowballed from there. Who knows what way it affected him or played on his mind.

Anyway I just think its a little unfair to automatically call for his head without knowing the full circumstances - Its obvious something was very much wrong and if it was just a case of him being too lazy to practice or rehearse then thats a complete insult to everyone who buys a ticket to see Guns N' Roses but this would appear to be a complete contradiction for an artist who is often noted for being a perfectionist. So I think it may be down to something else health, personal circumstances etc. we will probably never know but lets see how the rest of the shows on this tour go.

Well, I was there and I can say the concert was ok, not that bad, but his voice was really the weak point of the concert.

The crowd, including me, was tired and under heavy rain. The band came 90 minutes after System of a Down (which was brilliant) and around 30% of the crowd went home till GNR begin the show.

Almost 3AM they hit the stage, the band was good but Axl's voice was clearly weak. After Jungle, I thought: "Mickey" is back..WTF..but anyway, let's enjoy the fuckin' concert".

Bumble was brilliant, the band was ok, but after the It's So Easy, they went "autopilot" and Axl sounded pretty bad during some songs. Estranged was the best point, probably the only good point, just cried when they started do play it, unbelievable moment.

The November Rain mess was ignored by most of the crowd, really tired after a full day there and under rain. Patience the same thing. The energy of the crowd was pretty dead during Nightrain. Paradise City was ok, Axl looked really pissed during the last half of the show.

Most of the people was commenting there how he was fat, ugly and stuff, I don't really care about it, but his performance was really bad sometimes, he sounded tired and out of breath, the mickey mouse voice was back during most of the concert, he messed the lyrics of some songs, and if he wants to increase his performance, it's better to rehearse with his own band, at least sometimes.

One thing I heard from some fan that was next to me: "This band is really fantastic, they sound great when Axl is not singing"

3.5/10

We're all fans and that's why we write here. It's just that we want them to be great and it's just such a shame that Axl always start of the tours being n such a bad shape. I was really hoping that Axl would come on and being in the shape he was in the end of last tour. He did seem to lose quite some weight during the last tour. He could have just maintained it. It can't be that hard!

It was the same with the broadcasted Reading show. A great moment to show how great they (Axl) are and again, Axl is out of shape.

Too bad.

After watching last night disaster, I think now Axl needs to be replaced. :rofl-lol:

Lol. Say what you will about Robin, but when he fucked up, he didn't stop playing and stare blankly like some strung out opiate addict. After Estranged (which was badass) everything about Axl's performance was a disaster.

Edited by sofine11

Rio 2011 - Estranged - YouTube

Just checked this out, as some reported here that's its as good as the show got. Hmmm..

Axl Rose sounded not so great.

BF does a good cover of Slash's work. Slash will never be replaced.

For sound reason, Dj Ash was required to cover the crazy bit towards the end. Again, good effort, but no replacement for Slash.

Drumming was ok, then again drumming always is. He add's alot of 'ting ting' halfway through ?

Dizzy Reed was the star of the song :thumbsup:

..time to check out some of the other songs :D

Edited by star

I purposely didn't read any thing on the forum while I was watching because I didn't want my oppinion swayed one way or another before I had a chance to digest everything. I think that you have to give the band credit for rocking out as hard as they did considering they were performing in a fucking lake. I thought Axl didn't sound so good on Chi Dem or Jungle and started to pull it together vocally after ISE. The rasp wasn't where you would like it to be but as other tours have shown in the last few years he seems to have better control with a few shows under his belt. I actully thought he looked pretty good, not that it should matter at all. The bandanna with the big sunglasses and the leather jacket was a really cool look, and pretty much a logical next step from the early 90's Axl. The guy is near 50 he will never look like he did in the early 90's no one can. Outside of the mistakes on Nov. Rain and Patience , I thought the songs came off quite well. Rocket Queen, This I love, Live and Let Die, Sorry, were all stand outs and more then passable for the first night of a tour. As for Estranged, it was really great to hear the band take it on with such passion. You could tell they knew it was special to us, and Axl nailed it, there isn't any debate about that one. I was watching Rio '01 just like the rest of you guys and if you want to compare, his voice was better last night, he was in better shape last night, and as the last few tours have proven this band can but on a balls out rock show just as much as the bucket/finck era could. To call it a disaster is over doing it and I would hate to see people who enjoyed parts of the show having this thread warp there perception of how it all went down. I don't think it can be denyed that the crowd was super hot for the band all night as well, and that counts for as much as anything!

Rio 2011 - Estranged - YouTube

Just checked this out, as some reported here that's its as good as the show got. Hmmm..

Axl Rose sound not so great.

BF does a good cover of Slash's work. Slash will never be replaced.

For sound reason, Dj Ash was required to cover the crazy bit towards the end. Again, good effort, but no replacement for Slash.

Drumming was ok, then again drumming always is. He add's alot of 'ting ting' halfway through ?

Dizzy Reed was the star of the song :thumbsup:

..time to check out some of the other songs :D

I always find this argument funny. If they play something different from Slash then there are certain people that get mad because they're not doing the original work. Then when they play the original work they're just good at copying Slash and won't ever replace him. They can't really win. Personally I think Bumblefoot is awesome and in all honesty he's the coolest member that GN'R ever had when it comes to fan interaction, he was the star of the night in my opinion.

The band sounded good, Axl sounded spotty at times but he has sounded worse, he'll do much better once the tour starts rolling and he has a few concert on his back. It's obvious that he doesn't really prepare a whole lot for tour and sings himself into shape.

Edited by mustaine

I think everyone is overreacting just a bit. There's a number of factors that set this show up to not meet expectations:

-Rio was the tour kickoff. Frankly, the only tour kickoff I can recall that wasn't a complete disaster is '06. Granted, there SHOULD have been a warm-up show or two, but that's another topic entirely.

-The rain was a HUGE issue. It's clear from the stream that there was a considerable amount of standing water on the stage. That right there cuts the visual aspect down to virtually nothing, as they can't be running around the stage, it's not safe. Additionally, that sort of weather can have a hugely detrimental effect on the voice.

-Whole show was running behind, which could certainly be a reason for the mostly bland setlist.

-Regarding November Rain, there was definitely some sort of issue with the piano. It sounded to me like it had slipped out of tune, because right before he started fucking up the lyrics, some of the piano parts sounded extremely dissonant. Probably threw him off.

I'm not ready to write this tour off as a letdown yet. Give it a few shows, everything will surely start falling into place.

I thought his vocals were actually better than the 2009 Tokyo tour that was towards the start of the last major cycle of touring. As far as the forgetting the lyrics thing, I think that happened during NR, and he got quiet because he was upset with himself. But, I think during "Patience" he was upset with something else and that's why he verbally expressed. I have no idea what, but that's just my gut instinct. I think because he has not been shy about expressing his displeasure with sound issues in the past.

To all the people complaining about the conditioning and vocal endurance: You must have a short memory. This will improve during the course of the tour just like it did during the last major touring cycle. I'm sure his conditioning and vocal endurance will be built up by the time the US shows start in Orlando.

Ali

WOOH AXL IS HUMAN??? GTFO!

I am still in, I would not crucify a man based on one show, gimmie a fucking break.

I have never seen so many threads about one thing in my life, it is silly at best.

If things are good no one says shit, if things are bad holy fuck everyone has something to say.

Call me an ass kisser I honestly don't give a fuck

Was it Axl's finest moment? Absolutly not, but to create so much hate from one event is insane to me.

Like anything in life we have good days and we have bad days, in fact today I came home early cause I was having a bad day at work (maybe lack of sleep?) LOL

Anyway yes I plan on attending at least 1 US show when I can, attending is way beter than watching a video at home :thumbsup:

Me being a fan does not hinge on one show, or one thing.