This Rio show was a complete DISASTER

D..

I think everyone is overreacting just a bit. There's a number of factors that set this show up to not meet expectations:

-Rio was the tour kickoff. Frankly, the only tour kickoff I can recall that wasn't a complete disaster is '06. Granted, there SHOULD have been a warm-up show or two, but that's another topic entirely.

-The rain was a HUGE issue. It's clear from the stream that there was a considerable amount of standing water on the stage. That right there cuts the visual aspect down to virtually nothing, as they can't be running around the stage, it's not safe. Additionally, that sort of weather can have a hugely detrimental effect on the voice.

-Whole show was running behind, which could certainly be a reason for the mostly bland setlist.

-Regarding November Rain, there was definitely some sort of issue with the piano. It sounded to me like it had slipped out of tune, because right before he started fucking up the lyrics, some of the piano parts sounded extremely dissonant. Probably threw him off.

I'm not ready to write this tour off as a letdown yet. Give it a few shows, everything will surely start falling into place.

I just watched November Rain again and right before he started forgetting words, he looked down on the piano instead of singing in to the mike. That did look a bit odd.

And yes. Weather DOES affect the voice.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091028102830AAHeLqE

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet Jesus this is hard to read. How can people be so hostile towards something like this? How could any normal person be expected to perform to their highest of levels when there is literally a monsoon raining down on them?

If you watch the videos you can see just the amount of water that comes off the stage with every step he takes. If a quarterback has a bad game during bad weather the first thing that happens is the announcers say something to the effect of the weather really affecting them.

Axl has a bad day due to the same conditions? Well then he's lost it, didn't put time in, blah blah.

Does that mean Axl turned in a gutty performance for the ages? Hell no. It was clearly sub par for anyone let alone Axl. But I think that before we crucify the man we should give him the benefit of the doubt that maybe the freezing pouring down rain may have affected his voice/concentration.

I'm sure every time the man took a breath he was just inhaling rain water. So I'll wait till the next before I pass judgement.

Sweet Jesus this is hard to read. How can people be so hostile towards something like this? How could any normal person be expected to perform to their highest of levels when there is literally a monsoon raining down on them?

Cause he and many, many other bands have done it before. The rain is NOT an excuse. His lack of preparation is...and that voice??? What the hell happened. Ok to not be at O2 standards but that was arguably worse than '02 standards.

Opinion. I thought it was better that '02. Hey look, another opinion.

Cause he and many, many other bands have done it before. The rain is NOT an excuse. His lack of preparation is...and that voice??? What the hell happened. Ok to not be at O2 standards but that was arguably worse than '02 standards.

Yea I've seen people perform in the rain many times, but its not like this was typical rain or even hard rain. Go watch the Taipei performance of November Rain in 09'. That doesn't come close to the amount of rain they had to deal with last night.

Again, good performance? Hellllllll no. But its not like they were playing in ideal or less than ideal circumstances. So I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt and not write them off. They deserve that much.

Missing the plane.. catching another.. maybe the start of the cause.. the rain.. the late start.. having to wearing stupid yellow coat.. age.. maybe his bi polar was on a downer..

When Axl's on a high and all is going 100% - no one can keep up to his standard (in his mind) which creates another problem (for others).

I guess Rio 2011 the tables were turned - as the only one not on form was Axl Rose :shrugs:

Maybe the next gig will be the complete opposite.

The fact that I re-registered here (spineless bastard that I am) is almost as sad as GnR's (read: Axl's) performance.

I've always very much supported the Axl owes you nothing stand. Especially regarding Chinese Democracy. And in that aspect I still do. But this is different. When you're putting up a show and people pay their hard-earned money to come see you, sometimes from halfway across the world, you owe them a lot. You owe them professionalism and giving it your all. No matter how the weather is, no matter how many technical difficulties you're having and no matter what's going on in your band. People can say that this is just one show and you can expect this from GnR. But you really have to ask yourself whether you should support an artist that shows you such disrespect.

Last year I saw John Fogerty at Bospop festival and it POURED continuously. John went out there, in the rain, with the crowd and played amazingly for 2 full hours even though the festival organization motioned him to cut it short continuously after the first hour. Because he's a pro.

I saw VR's last show with Scott in Amsterdam. There were a lot of problems in that band back then, but they put on one hell of a rock show because despite personal differences they're professional musicians that care for their audience.

Funny by the way, that some of the biggest Axl supporters here are now accusing Axl of exactly the same thing that Slash said in his book was his main reason for quitting GnR. Lack of professionalism.

There's a lot to say about this. But in the end the fact is that Axl showed a COMPLETE lack of professionalism in preparation and in the show itself. Even worse - it's an amazing show of disrespect for all the people that supported you through thick and thin. For a band, that's a deadly sin in my book and probably a new low in GnR history.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

1) I know almost all of the words Axl was supposed to sing tonight.

You’re a fan of his material. I can’t imagine Axl spends his time listening to his own songs.

The stage, equipment, desire and vocals were compromised by the weather. The guy responsible for operating sound was evidently incompetent (as highlighted by reports regarding the show).

I am not suggesting Axl is blameless.

Hard to watch the show. I was a huge supporter saw them in '02 and 2x in 2006. Stuck by Axl through all the shit. Was pulling for him and standing up for him but this is hard to take. Does he think he can just get up off the couch and stroll on stage wearing a puffed out yellow jacket, 30 lbs overweight, voice out of shape, and people should just be happy he decided to show up? Fuck that.

This "band" is a disgrace. Third rate slash wannabe on lead guitar - 5th rate nobody on drums. Axl pauses his Dexter reruns to fly down to Rio and sing that same night with no warm-up or rehearsal. And they think they can play Estranged? Just leave it be.

We all have a bad day at the office, but it is hard to accept that this is the same man I saw in Manchester last year. His voice then was awesome it was one of the best Guns gigs I've been to.

Axl looked bloated last night. Perhaps he is on medication that has done this, we don't know but if Reading/Dublin last year are anything to go on, he will get better. His voice and fitness is always top notch when the bloody tour is coming to an end which is sad because when Axl is on form he is still awesome! :shrugs:

I find it sad that people are acting like this is the end of GN'R, they're going to cancel the US tour, it's "all over.''

Honestly, the show could've been better, but it's not the end of the world. Were lucky we were lucky to see it for free on Youtube. Everybody has a different opinion, but it seems the majority of it is that is was awful, Axl has to retire, GN'R is dead. It was one bad show, and the band was great, Axl was just off. The mix wasn't good, at all, the mic seemed to be way too loud at times, and the sound was all over the place. It's not like Axl hasn't had bad shows before, add to the fact is was pouring down rain and Axl wasn't able to put on the show he wanted to. Seriously, he was kicking puddles of water up as he walked, it wasn't good.

Sure, Axl should rehearse more, but it's not like this one show will be the end of Guns N' Roses as we know it. They have show in 2 days, so we'll see if Axl was just off tonight, or his voice just isn't all there.

Edited by GNR123GNR456

Hard to watch the show. I was a huge supporter saw them in '02 and 2x in 2006. Stuck by Axl through all the shit. Was pulling for him and standing up for him but this is hard to take. Does he think he can just get up off the couch and stroll on stage wearing a puffed out yellow jacket, 30 lbs overweight, voice out of shape, and people should just be happy he decided to show up? Fuck that.

This "band" is a disgrace. Third rate slash wannabe on lead guitar - 5th rate nobody on drums. Axl pauses his Dexter reruns to fly down to Rio and sing that same night with no warm-up or rehearsal. And they think they can play Estranged? Just leave it be.

this band played estranged better than the originale ever did. axl on the other hand was awfull all night long except for low parts of estranged and some of this I love.

as last post here..

won't make another gnr did a great job thing cause people here are no longer true fans of gnr.. that's for sure..

14-15 threads all to bash Axl and gnr for their crappy sound.. their fuck ups the wish to cancel this tour and blablabla

14-15 threads isn't that a bit lot

why don't pull them all into 1... then at least true fans of rock n roll and gnr won't have to get depressed by the lots of threads of bashing against their idols and favorite band...

The reason people are reacting so negative is because the show is a massive live world wide broadcast and not some random show in Europe. There were a lot more eyes on this show than probably all the shows from last year together. It was the worst possible time to have an off night.

Folks, a lot of the problems was due to the heavy rain!

If you know anything about video cameras, you know that the rain has to be very heavy and thick for it too even be visible like it was for the show.

The so called claim that Axl lacked an energy and ethusiasm was clearly due to the effects the rain was having on him.

There is no way you can stand in that rain and not have it effect your health after awhile.

Sure, Axl's lack of desire to rehearse made it even more difficult for Axl to adjust to circumstances of the rain.

There is no doubt that as the tour continues, Axl's performance will get better - as they have always in the past.