This Rio show was a complete DISASTER

D..

Do you guys know how fucking hard it is to play a piano with wet keys? When you find out come back and tell us. Then continue to hate on Axl for screwing up on November Rain.

It's only the last 2 minutes because that is all I can find, but check out Axl doing the NR outro in the pouring rain in Columbia in 92. He was fucking ace, and was not bothered in the least by the rain.

The again he used to give a shit back then, so that might explain alot of that.

I knew I was going to get that in response.

Yes I know he used to be able to play in the rain in the past. That was almost 20 years ago. Reality is - he is getting older, we can't expect an Axl of '92 anymore. Hell I'm grateful that we have a Guns N' Roses at all to begin with. I still enjoy listening to Chinese Democracy and I think how lucky we are that at least we have that.

yeah it is a well known thing young people can play piano in a rain, but when 50....its a no no. it has nothing to with the fucking rain, he just fucked it up, so what, it happens. The guy needs to practice.

I never said he didn't need to practice. Just saying I'm grateful we even got to see them last night at such a huge venue.

After watching it back today, it's honest to God not quite as bad as I remember last night. The band was on fire and what upsets me the most isn't that Axl screwed up on the lyrics so much, it's how he reacted. He acted so immature and it was because of something he did. I can see getting pissed because someone threw something, or even if someone in the band was fucking up, but they were blazin' and he fucked up, but instead of soldiering on like he did at Download '06, he went and sat in the corner, sulled up. In the long run, this show won't matter, even though it could have and should have, but I'm sure they'll pick up momentum...

This here exactly. Last night we were all expecting something great, something new (like in 2001), and we didn't get it. So our first impression was that it sucked.

And like I said, I'm not denying that Axl needs to practice/rehearse. I think he does.

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was bad. I didn't watch all of it, but Axl....... :question: The rest of the band sounded and looked good. I didn't think I would ever think the hired hands or the replacenemts, or whatever you want to call them, would carry a Guns N Roses show. Axl is one of the last musicians I wanted to see in my life and now I don't know if it is going to be worth it.

Going back and rewatching the whole show, I have to say, Axl looked hurt. He looked like he couldn't help it. I think the rain disoriented him and knowing that it was a global live broadcasted event...like what the fuck can he do? He had to play no matter what, so he did his best and that fucked with him. Axl Rose can't catch a break man. It could've been worse I guess. I just hope the mickey mouse voice isn't permanent.

Think about it guys. He went out there and was in a great mood. He was having fun, even though he knew he couldn't dance or anything (which he wanted to do). Maybe that's why he had the mickey mouse voice? He uses the rasp when he's tired perhaps. I dunno. But then when he forgot the lyrics on This I Love it was kind of a joke to him, he knew "alright we move on. It was one thing. whatever." But then he started having fun again and on November Rain he changed it to Brazilian Rain and laughed. He messed up the lyrics and he was like "fuck, this is bullshit. I messed up. Gotta move on now..." And finally Patience...the final straw for him. "I've got no patience."

I sympathize for him. I couldn't do it, and he did much better than I ever could.

Edited by Axl Rose aka God

Vocal coach and personal fitness trainer.

Write or finish NEW songs. Release album. Release two albums - one of left-over CD material, one of new stuff.

Rehearse with the band.

Do a couple magazine and tv interviews.

Problem solved, GnR will be hugely successful. It really is that simple.

I think during November Rain, around the 4 minute mark, Axl had a vision of The Ghost of GnR's past and thought what am I doing here without my brothers. Call it a moment of clarity, perhaps. That being said, Axl sounded horrible.

I think you guys are a little harsh on the guy.

Cant a man have a day off, of fuck up? common now, if this shit continues on US tour, then the towel is off.

Showing up fat, out of shape, and not ready to perform is not an off day.

That is a sign that he just doesn't give a fuck about giving the best he's got, and that is a far larger problem than an off day.

Cant a man have a day off, of fuck up? common now, if this shit continues on US tour, then the towel is off.

How many days a year does the man have off, and how many does he work exactly?

you want to give him the day off when its the day of the festival that only happens once in every ten years in Rio?

are you absolutely sure on that?

oh yeah, it was raining.

maybe we should all get a day off when its raining.

poor axl. cant handle his rain.

Bad days are ok. I'm not mad at him and I don't hate him. I just don't want to pay 75 bucks in November to see only Axl and have him not really do that well. Maybe he's lost it and that's ok. Everyone gets older.

That is a sign that he just doesn't give a fuck about giving the best he's got, and that is a far larger problem than an off day.

Damn, with all the criticism about Axl's conditioning, I have to wonder, what kind of shape are you in? What's your body fat %? How much do you bench?

It's one thing to criticize a guitar player going out of tune as he bends a note, or a singer for the quality of their tone, but this criticism of appearance is ridiculous. You go on and on about it, yet you've made your point long ago.

I hope you're in NBA-caliber shape considering how critical you are.

Ali

its not about being harsh,

Axl needs to understand, this was a festival.

Where thousands of people turned up, money paid, to see a rock concert.

Axl failed to deliver on so many levels, sure, dont play new songs, keep the same set list, dont lose weight, dont have singing lessons

BUT DONT COME UNPREPARED, BLUNDER MANY SONGS ON A GIG THAT HAPPENS EVERY DECADE.

Ill support the band and Axl, but he sure likes taking the fucking piss.

If he wants artistic credibility and people to back the fuck off, simples: EITHER RETIRE OR DO SOMETHING OTHER THAN TOUR THE SAME SHIT

RANT OVER/

PROS: the band was great, props to Ashba

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Damn, with all the criticism about Axl's conditioning, I have to wonder, what kind of shape are you in? What's your body fat %? How much do you bench?

It's one thing to criticize a guitar player going out of tune as he bends a note, or a singer for the quality of their tone, but this criticism of appearance is ridiculous. You go on and on about it, yet you've made your point long ago.

Ali

+1.... people criticize like they know 50 year olds who can jump around on stage for 2h 30min while singing high pitch vocals. Gimme a break. He could be in better shape, no doubts... plus some people have more difficult loosing weigh than others...

Like some others, I am a bit concerned about Axl's performance last night and how his health is. Things just didn't seem to 'click' throughout the entire show, but with November Rain - I knew something was seriously awry. NR is one of the best tunes to have ever touched my eardrums and I have heard many a live version of it. Never have I heard it played so emptily and without Axl bringing down the house with "Don't ya think that ya need somebody" while his hands danced like hell all over that keyboard. For him to just sit there and sort of absentmindedly play the piano during one of his trademark songs was... sort of unprecedented.

I won't speculate about what went wrong except that last nights show seemed out of the ordinary, even when shit going wrong seems to be the ordinary for GNR. I also do not like how they put on "My Way" after Paradise City after the show's closing. It's not that I think Axl is about to die like elvis or so many other rock stars who succumbed to their demons - he is a stronger man than that. But I would be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about him and where things could be headed with GNR.

Let's hope that he pulls through whatever slump he happens to be in. And in any case, I am thankful for the great tunes and inspiration he has provided over the years.

Ali

+1.... people criticize like they know 50 year olds who can jump around on stage for 2h 30min while singing high pitch vocals. Gimme a break. He could be in better shape, no doubts... plus some people have more difficult loosing weigh than others...

If you have Axl Rose money and decent enough will, you can.

Its not about who we are, we're just the fans.

He's the man who wants to be in the spotlight, but he cant complain when it goes sour.

Ali

Axl is a singer, being in shape is his job. If he's out of shape, it effects his ability to do his job.

A guitarist does not rely on endurance and cardiovascular conditioning to reach his peak performance the way a singer has to.

It is a core competency of the job.

You are comparing Apples to oranges.

If Kobe Bryant showed up next year significantly heavier and out of shape, are you telling me that his poor conditioning would in no way effect his ability to reach his max level? A center can get away with more bulk, a guard can't because being quick is part of the job description.

Being in shape is part of a singers job description, as failure to do so directly impacts there ability to perform at the highest level.

You can continue to live in an alternate universe where that isn't true, but it is.

Hell, watch the videos of Axl from when he was skinny and in shape vs. now. His lung capacity is night and day as you can visibly see him sucking wind the heavier he is. If it made no difference in his performance, he would have been out of shape and fat all along. Not just when he decided to stop giving a shit like now.

Ali - I agree with what you are saying. But what people are really complaining about is that Axl was out of breath in about 75% of the songs, which effected the overall quality of his singing. So the "idea" is that if he was in shape, he would have been able to sing more effectively. Go listen to the start of Better or You Could Be Mine....it is brutal.

Fans are just dissapointed, as they assumed that Axl would have prepared himself better for a gig of this magnitude.

The band rehearsed - but Axl sounded like this was the first time he'd sang in months. I think most singers would have spent the prior month preparing themselves for the tour, instead of using the tour to get in shape.

I'm still a die-hard fan. And I loved the band. And I loved Estranged and Axl's voice on a few different songs. TIL, parts of RocketQueen and I liked the slower different version of Heaven's Door. But his vocals on some other songs were just absolutely brutal, from being out of breath. AND, I actually like the mickey mouse voice. I prefer the high pitched voice, and the scratchy voice...over the deeper voice.

And the downer of no new songs. CD was three years ago. Fans just want and crave new music. I thought for sure that Axl would throw us one bone for this upcoming tour. This tour doesn't have to be the "next album" tour and have 5 new songs. But couldn't they just give us one? One of the completed ones from the left-over CD material or the rumored 3-albums worth of material or whatever. Fans just want new music.

If Axl would have played 1-2 new songs on this mini-tour, that would have held fans over until the next news was released. Whether that is a new album in 2012 or a tour in 2012 or whatever their plans are for the upcoming year.

I'm still a die-hard fan. I just thought last night was pretty dissapointing that Axl didn't take it as seriously as the rest of the band did.

AND why is it that GnR is the only band that never has quality production or equipment? Bad sound, equipment malfunctions, bad sound men, etc - this plaques GnR on every tour. Why don't other bands have the same problems?

Ali - I agree with what you are saying. But what people are really complaining about is that Axl was out of breath in about 75% of the songs, which effected the overall quality of his singing. So the "idea" is that if he was in shape, he would have been able to sing more effectively. Go listen to the start of Better or You Could Be Mine....it is brutal.

Fans are just dissapointed, as they assumed that Axl would have prepared himself better for a gig of this magnitude.

The band rehearsed - but Axl sounded like this was the first time he'd sang in months. I think most singers would have spent the prior month preparing themselves for the tour, instead of using the tour to get in shape.

+1000.

You got the correlation between his conditioning and the effect on his singing. It is not like we are advocating being in shape for the sake of being in shape, but that being in shape will lead to a superior vocal product.

Ali, do you find it disrespectful towards the fans on Axl's part that he works his way into shape giving mediocre shows at the start of tours even though those fans are paying just as much as the ones who will see the better product at the end?

To me its like a big fuck you that he cares so little about giving the people their money's worth he is OK with knowingly showing up not ready to be in top form. Seems to me if he cared he would be ready from day 1 to give them the same caliber show as the last day of the tour.

Guest gunns5

I know the old adage of 'Axl gets better as he goes on tour' however, he has never started a tour off THIS bad.

Even RIR3 he was better vocally and definitely more in condition.

I know the old adage of 'Axl gets better as he goes on tour' however, he has never started a tour off THIS bad.

You're insane. RiR 3 had MUCH WORSE vocals than RiR 4... Can't believe you guys saw the same show I did. And I watched it twice. Live and HD.

Guest gunns5

You're insane. RiR 3 had MUCH WORSE vocals than RiR 4... Can't believe you guys saw the same show I did. And I watched it twice. Live and HD.

Watch the opening screams in the jungle and The blues and Kohd from that show, even madagascar (which is absent from this set ). He nailed all those songs (apart from the rest of jungle), and had more band interaction and just a better vibe.

Last night was boring because Axl chose to have a little cry in the corner.

Edited by gunns5