This Rio show was a complete DISASTER

D..

So if it wasn't for the rain Axl would've sing like he used to in 1992? Cool :) Did the rain make Beta come on stage too? Because let's hope it never rains again, that was embarassing. I can't even recognise the guy I was a fan of. Axl has lost it and almost everything about him sucks now.

Why the fuck would anybody want Axl to sound like '92?

I liked his Tokyo '92 vocals, but everything else was pretty bad. '99 and '10 Axl FTW.

You must be joking. He had a powerful voice back then and he was in his prime in the early 90's. To say otherwise is just plain silly.

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if it wasn't for the rain Axl would've sing like he used to in 1992? Cool :) Did the rain make Beta come on stage too? Because let's hope it never rains again, that was embarassing. I can't even recognise the guy I was a fan of. Axl has lost it and almost everything about him sucks now.

I liked his Tokyo '92 vocals, but everything else was pretty bad. '99 and '10 Axl FTW.

His voice back then had alot of power. I think that's what meant.

Okay, I will say it was a PITIFUL performance. Axl has zero excuse for being in this poor of form to kick off a tour at such a high-profile, highly anticipated gig. It's really terrible. I hope he was embarrassed to the point where he'll shape up for the rest of the tour. I say that out of love for the band - it's a shame he blew such a great opportunity to get the band some good press and good reviews. They deserve better and I hope they get it as the tour progresses.

That said, god bless Axl for even having the balls to have an off night. Most bands of GN'R's popularity and caliber, umcoughMUSEcough have so many backing tracks going on that the possibility of an off-night or even a single bad note vocally or otherwise is virtually zilch. Axl's one of the last "real" rock stars out there, along with Dave Grohl, who don't cheat with their vocals in any way, so I'm relieved he still chooses to "keep it real" and risk off-nights. I loved the joke about the lip sync tape. Well-played!

Also, as much as I love Ron, I hope he gets a verbal beat-down for fucking up the Jungle solo like that. I don't care who you are, if there are 100,000 people in a crowd and you're dicking around with a prop one person threw onstage to the point where you fuck up one of the most iconic solos in the entire set, that's totally unprofessional. That was a "Ron Thal Show" move. Not cool. Hats off to him for playing in his condition though - the rest of his performance was top-notch.

Oh yeah, Estranged rocked. Now all you bitches can stop complaining about the setlist! What's that? No Civil War or new songs or My World? Ugh fine.

- One Fan's Opinion.

Edited by MarlaHooch

Let's see how well you can sing in the cold heavy rain!

His voice sucked throughout the show barring a handful of songs, so no he didn't start off well. He certainly started of slightly better, but still not well.

Plenty of singers have and they didn't decline as much as Axl did. Did the rain effect his memory for his own lyrics?

Lots of singers can't remember lyrics in concert it's the reason why most (who sing live) have telepromters... It is hard to know where you are at with so much going on, telepromters are not new at all. Do a youtbe search on singers that forgot lyrics it might surprise some of you..

GUNSGUY - Do you think Axl rehearsed with the band in preparation for this huge show? You are correct people forget lyrics but do you think Axl rehearsed with his band for this show. Yes or no????

This.

I can't even recognise the guy I was a fan of. Axl has lost it and almost everything about him sucks now.

Yeah, the current Axl has little to do with the guy who fronted the most dangerous band in the world...

By the way, young Axl is on the cover of spanish magazine This is rock (for those who enjoy collecting everything GN'R related). There's a great article about the recording process of Use Your Illusion which is considered as "the swan song of the last great hard rock band".

http://thisisrock.net/

kckrr9.jpg

You must be joking. He had a powerful voice back then and he was in his prime in the early 90's. To say otherwise is just plain silly.

Well, I guess I just disagree then. His voice at times sounded like it was falling apart. Like Indiana '91.

I'd say IRS is Axl at the peak of power. What is that, '99?

GUNS N' ROSES headlined the closing night of the Rock In Rio festival last night (Sunday, October 2) in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. The band hit the stage at about 2:45 a.m. local time in the pouring rain and kicked off the show with "Chinese Democracy" before singer Axl Rose addressed the crowd. "Good evening… good morning," the singer said. "Please bear with us and give us a little second here to figure out what to do about not falling on our asses. I'm gonna try to focus on singing rather than running around like an idiot. I'm better at being an idiot. We want everybody to be careful."

Did he focus on singing?

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=164080

GUNS N' ROSES headlined the closing night of the Rock In Rio festival last night (Sunday, October 2) in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. The band hit the stage at about 2:45 a.m. local time in the pouring rain and kicked off the show with "Chinese Democracy" before singer Axl Rose addressed the crowd. "Good evening… good morning," the singer said. "Please bear with us and give us a little second here to figure out what to do about not falling on our asses. I'm gonna try to focus on singing rather than running around like an idiot. I'm better at being an idiot. We want everybody to be careful."

Did he focus on singing?

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=164080

I've always been a big Axl guy, but that was the most unprofessional excuse for a performance I've ever seen. He quit on the rest of the band..If I was one of them, I'd seriously consider leaving rather than being a laughing stock with a guy who doesn't give a shit. Hey Axl, don't waste everyone's time..

Well, I guess I just disagree then. His voice at times sounded like it was falling apart. Like Indiana '91.

I'd say IRS is Axl at the peak of power. What is that, '99?

The peak? That was the late 80's lol. Anyone who says his peak was the early 90's isn't paying attention.

Yeah Axl sounds like Mickey Mouse on sweet child of mine. Pretty bad hope that was just the monitor being bad but he has had this helium mickey mouse now and then. I hope Axl can get his vocals back in shape and recapture the Axl vocals he is a legend for. Estranged sounded decent to me. Not perfect but it probably sounded better in person then on YouTube. I agree the band it self sounded pretty good. I could still notice the mickey mouse thing now and then even in estrange.

Edited by rocker rockstar

Having said what I said earlier - the title of this thread isn't really true. The show wasn't what I would consider a "complete disaster" if anything because of Estranged.

The camera work could have been better, but that was really a beautiful performance. This song is one of the few moments of the entire show where it seemed like everybody had their shit together and things just clicked for the band. Not to sound gay or anything, but I get goosebumps at the parts where Axl is dancing in the rain while water splashed around his feet. It just had a sort of magic to it and shows that Axl is still a truly great frontman.

I've always been a big Axl guy, but that was the most unprofessional excuse for a performance I've ever seen. He quit on the rest of the band..If I was one of them, I'd seriously consider leaving rather than being a laughing stock with a guy who doesn't give a shit. Hey Axl, don't waste everyone's time..

This. Unprofessional!

Everyone acts like this is first, lol Indiana 1991 anyone? See Axl can have bad days early on the tour with the old band too, imagine that :rofl-lol:

Bad night in 1991, fuck me running

I think 2011 sounds better IMO

Edited by gunsguy

Did he focus on singing?

this right fucking here.

Everyone acts like this is first, lol Indiana 1991 anyone? See Axl can have bad days early on the tour with the old band too, imagine that :rofl-lol:

If you think what we saw yesterday is equivalent to this video then I can do nothing for you.

You are free to your opinion of course, but why are you bringing up the old band? If anything the band last night were the saving grace, no one has been vindictive of them for their performance at Rio 2011. Not every who is saying bad things about Rio 2011 is pro-old Guns man.

So Axl has always been sketchy live, does that mean we cannot be disappointed that he doesn't prepare for a major show? At least in the video you posted he was energetic and had a presence. The rasp was there although it was too harsh at times. There was a noticeable decline in his performance, even compared to the beginnings of previous tours.

You know what's really sad? For the last couple of months I've been texting back and forth with a certain wrestler guy who will remain nameless telling him to not release all his docs and shit because it could end GNR..I would always tell him he can'tn't jeopardize the rest of their career..Well..this morning I woke up thinking "who the fuck have I been kidding?" It's over anyway..I know that's fucked up, but it's the truth..What a waste of a bunch of great musicians..

Guest gunns5

Difference was gunsguy, axl rehearsed with his band back then, Tommy said at Rio he hasn't seen Axl in 10 fuckin months, he'll Axl didn't even know how many times the band rehearsed each song.

At least in 06, you heard Axl and the band at rehearsals I,e. Eddie trunk.

Quite a ridiculos comparison but still..

GnR RIR 2011

Rocket Queen

Slash with Myles 2011

High Voltage Festival, 23rd July 2011

Myles just keeps getting better, no real comparison really...

But we also know that Axl will get ALOT better along the tour.

He is just so unprofessional.

I think that autumn 2010 Europe shows was probably the best Axl has sounded since the Classic GnR days.

Edited by foool13

Pretty sure they teach that in school, people forget words when under pressure, it happens.

and 1:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJVDSsoM9II&feature=related

and

youtube.com/watch?v=QIAl955KNIo

I could find these all day back to before Elvis

You keep defending the forgotten lyric thing but fail to talk about anything else. What about skipping the whole vocal outro on November Rain? Or playing about 20 seconds of November Rain at a totally different octave? Don't bring up slippery keys because the notes he was playing were clearly in the octave above what they should have been(ie not a few notes apart)?

Difference was gunsguy, axl rehearsed with his band back then, Tommy said at Rio he hasn't seen Axl in 10 fuckin months, he'll Axl didn't even know how many times the band rehearsed each song.

At least in 06, you heard Axl and the band at rehearsals I,e. Eddie trunk.

He said "sing"...

And i dont think axl forgot the final part of NR, he just got distracted by something, got pissed by who know what... and then he just wanted to end the song...

Edited by AGS

This show was the lowest point, bar none, in the band's history since I've been a fan. It was the complete opposite to when I saw them back in 2006, when Axl's voice was in tip-top shape, he was fit, and he was full of energy. His performance last night was just embarrassing, especially as I was watching the stream with a few friends. It's a shame when a band that is so tight and well rehearsed, and plays a song like Estranged like they wrote the thing, be let down by a singer that's been in the business for 25+ years. I really hate being so critical of the band that got me started on music, but even I can't defend that performance.

This show was the lowest point, bar none, in the band's history since I've been a fan. It was the complete opposite to when I saw them back in 2006, when Axl's voice was in tip-top shape, he was fit, and he was full of energy. His performance last night was just embarrassing, especially as I was watching the stream with a few friends. It's a shame when a band that is so tight and well rehearsed, and plays a song like Estranged like they wrote the thing, be let down by a singer that's been in the business for 25+ years. I really hate being so critical of the band that got me started on music, but even I can't defend that performance.

It changed my whole outlook on the Chicago show i was so ecstatic to see

I think it was a bad night, however I can't be so over the top as I was not there. Were you guys there?

It changed my whole outlook on the Chicago show i was so ecstatic to see

Every show is different, the last couple years show that, even if your watching youtube