This Rio show was a complete DISASTER

D..

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This show was the lowest point, bar none, in the band's history since I've been a fan. It was the complete opposite to when I saw them back in 2006, when Axl's voice was in tip-top shape, he was fit, and he was full of energy. His performance last night was just embarrassing, especially as I was watching the stream with a few friends. It's a shame when a band that is so tight and well rehearsed, and plays a song like Estranged like they wrote the thing, be let down by a singer that's been in the business for 25+ years. I really hate being so critical of the band that got me started on music, but even I can't defend that performance.

I think it was a bad night, however I can't be so over the top as I was not there. Were you guys there?

Hey Gunsguy, give me your honest opinion..Did you think it was a professional performance? Do you think Axl really gave a shit?..I think the main reason he got pissed was because he knew he was making a fool of himself for the whole world to see..You agree? And you know how big of a fan I am...I've been here since '04..

So if it wasn't for the rain Axl would've sing like he used to in 1992? Cool :) Did the rain make Beta come on stage too? Because let's hope it never rains again, that was embarassing. I can't even recognise the guy I was a fan of. Axl has lost it and almost everything about him sucks now.

Why the fuck would anybody want Axl to sound like '92?

I liked his Tokyo '92 vocals, but everything else was pretty bad. '99 and '10 Axl FTW.

You must be joking. He had a powerful voice back then and he was in his prime in the early 90's. To say otherwise is just plain silly.

Well, I guess I just disagree then. His voice at times sounded like it was falling apart. Like Indiana '91.

I'd say IRS is Axl at the peak of power. What is that, '99?

The peak? That was the late 80's lol. Anyone who says his peak was the early 90's isn't paying attention.

Technically speaking, probably, but I far prefer his voice on IRS, TWAT and Street of Dreams, I guess.

Then again, Rocket Queen > every vocal moment he has ever had.

This show was the lowest point, bar none, in the band's history since I've been a fan. It was the complete opposite to when I saw them back in 2006, when Axl's voice was in tip-top shape, he was fit, and he was full of energy. His performance last night was just embarrassing, especially as I was watching the stream with a few friends. It's a shame when a band that is so tight and well rehearsed, and plays a song like Estranged like they wrote the thing, be let down by a singer that's been in the business for 25+ years. I really hate being so critical of the band that got me started on music, but even I can't defend that performance.

I think it was a bad night, however I can't be so over the top as I was not there. Were you guys there?

It changed my whole outlook on the Chicago show i was so ecstatic to see

Every show is different, the last couple years show that, even if your watching youtube

So if someone posted a video of Axl singing sublimely and people commented positively would you say "you were not there so don't be so vocal about it? No, you would not. Works both way buddy.

Hey Gunsguy, give me your honest opinion..Did you think it was a professional performance? Do you think Axl really gave a shit?..I think the main reason he got pissed was because he knew he was making a fool of himself for the whole world to see..You agree? And you know how big of a fan I am...I've been here since '04..

the fact that he does give a shit is why he had a bad night, he wants things to go well but because of many issues including his own things did not work out so perfect.

He was frustrated, perhaps at the rain, the covered up telepromters, the ear monitor, the delays, who knows.

If you were 100% ready then got delayed it kinda takes a hit outta ya I think.

I wouldn't say it's a "disaster" as much as it is a "disappointment".

We all know what Axl is capable of and that is greatness.

I can excuse the band's rust and Axl's so-so vocals at points (and some blame must be placed at the feet of the poor mix).

However there is no excuse for showing up a good 30 pounds overweight and playing the same setlist they did in 2009.

Fans shouldn't feel like it's some special honor that their favorite band is playing different songs. "Estranged" was great but it's one song. One.

I got more Chinese in 02 and I got awesome Buckethead solos to go along with it.

They had their biggest crowd in years, they were blowing up on Twitter and Facebook, but no new songs, nothing about new album, etc.

Just shows a lack of vision and foresight and systemic of poor management.

But credit for playing the gig and powering thought the rain.

the fact that he does give a shit is why he had a bad night, he wants things to go well but because of many issues including his own things did not work out so perfect.

He was frustrated, perhaps at the rain, the covered up telepromters, the ear monitor, the delays, who knows.

Sorry man, but that's laughable..100% ready and got delayed made him forget words? Quit on bandmates? Not even take a bow after the show? It's obviously even less respect for the fans than I thought he had..although that wasn't a whole lot..

Sorry man, but that's laughable..100% ready and got delayed made him forget words? Quit on bandmates? Not even take a bow after the show? It's obviously even less respect for the fans than I thought he had..although that wasn't a whole lot..

Now Axl knows what it's like to keep his bandmembers waiting by the stage pretty much 90% of the time before a show(even though he probably was not ready by the time SOAD finished...).

There was no bow?

There was no bow?

No

There was no bow?

No

My stream cut off right away after the set, how do we know this??

There was no bow?

No

Because people that were there said so..

There was no bow?

No

The stream didn't cut off..

He said good night, stage went black and Sinatra came on the PA

I was there. My words: A FUCKING DISASTER.

I've been defending this band for 5 years now, but what I saw yesterday (today) was a real mess, a lack of professionalism and an Axl that looked more like Dick Tracy. He was awful; couldn't even sing 'Welcome to the Jungle', forgot lyrics in 'November Rain' and looked really pissed at his own mistakes. Sounded more like a dying chicken in 'Better' and 'Street of Dreams'.

There were lot of "fans" there who didn't even know how to sing 'Sorry' but kept applauding. I was probably the only one who could sing all the lyrics and was still disappointed.

I cried with 'Estranged', a high point for sure, but didn't save what I call the worst show of my life. System of a Down showed what a rock show is, without huge gaps and boring solos from Ashba (Jesus Christ, does anyone like that new "thing"?). Bumblefoot was the only one I cared about, even with his mistake in 'Welcome to the Jungle', the guy sure knows how to be amazing. The lack of new songs really disappointed me (I wasn't expecting anything at all, but well, you never know).

The show was identical to that of São Paulo, held last year. With a huge difference: his voice was good in São Paulo (even with sore throat) and he was presenting for the first time Chinese Democracy in Brazil.

My back is really hurt, so I better go to bed. Maybe I'll write a full review later this week. Sorry for my poor english, but I'm really tired right now and I'm not looking for a grammar review. Just saying what I needed to say.

See you!

Edited by marlon_brando15

Guest gunns5

I was there. My words: A FUCKING DISASTER.

I've been defending this band for 5 years now, but what I saw yesterday (today) was a real mess, a lack of professionalism and an Axl that looked more like Dick Tracy. He was awful; couldn't even sing 'Welcome to the Jungle', forgot lyrics in 'November Rain' and looked really pissed at his own mistakes. Sounded more like a dying chicken in 'Better' and 'Street of Dreams'.

There were lot of "fans" there who didn't even know how to sing 'Sorry' but kept applauding. I was probably the only one who could sing all the lyrics and was still disappointed.

I cried with 'Estranged', a high point for sure, but didn't save what I call the worst show of my life. System of a Down showed what a rock show is, without huge gaps and boring solos from Ashba (Jesus Christ, does anyone like that new "thing"?). Bumblefoot was the only one I cared about, even with his mistake in 'Welcome to the Jungle', the guy sure knows how to be amazing. The lack of new songs really disappointed me (I wasn't expecting anything at all, but well, you never know).

The show was identical to that of São Paulo, held last year. With a huge difference: his voice was good in São Paulo (even with sore throat) and he was presenting for the first time Chinese Democracy in Brazil.

My back is really hurt, so I better go to bed. Maybe I'll write a full review later this week. Sorry for my poor english, but I'm really tired right now and I'm not looking for a grammar review. Just saying what I needed to say.

See you!

There we go, to all those people who said it sounds different on stream or you shouldn't criticize the show if you weren't there, read this guys post.

Bumble was the highlight of the show last night and he is still suffering the effects of a bad car accident as well as having to put up with the rain.

Thank you for your honest review from someone who was there, the show I saw on yt was the exact same on terms of experience.

let's see how anyone can turn that guys review around.

Thanks for being honest and thank god for bumble.

Edited by gunns5

There was no bow?

no.

personally, i blame the sound guy, and whoever threw bbf that stormtrooper helmet.

BBF took the helmet from them.

i blame bbf, then.

his fuckup on the second song ruined the whole show.

and the sound guy made axl sound like mickey mouse.

Edited by Sonny Largo

There was no bow?

no.

personally, i blame the sound guy, and whoever threw bbf that stormtrooper helmet.

BBF took the helmet from them.

i blame bbf, then.

his fuckup on the second song ruined the whole show.

Eh, I don't think so. He apologized for it too. It's all good.

how do you think he must feel?

Pretty foolish I would think for being so brazenly arrogant as to think he could get up off the couch, brush off the donut crumbs, and then get on stage in front of untold millions of people worldwide without ever even so much as rehearsing with his band once (based on what we've heard) and think he was going to bring down the house.

I think people's reaction to him would be far different if we knew he was busting his ass this past month or 2 to make sure he was 100% committed mind body and spirit to this gig and had been putting in the work.

Instead he is the kid who flunked his final exams because he thought he was too good to goto class, study, and do his homework like everyone else.

No one feels bad for that guy because they earned their failure, and in this case Axl earned his because (yet again) his own hubris got the best of him.

WTF!

meh it happens....honestly, he should have just called himself out on his own fuck up and said something like "and i just forgot the words to my own fucking sooooong"

that would have been pretty funny

whatever. you guys are looking too much into this. it happens all the time to singers. they just draw a blank and forget the lyrics. it's not the end of the world

a lot of your guys make Axl into this God-like figure...but he's not. He takes a shit just like everyone else and he puts his pants on one leg at a time.

Edited by RJ88