This Rio show was a complete DISASTER

D..

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is NO excuse for his performance.

Hehe, that is of course debatable since no one of us knows exactly why he forgot words and why his voice wasn't top notch, but let's not ;)

People expect a good show. I know if I paid money to see what what shown I would not be happy.

Most people seem to have enjoyed the show. But of course it is possible you expect more than most people, fans here tend to do ;). But it happens you pay for concert tickets and feel short changed. It happens regularly. It's part of the deal, you never know how good the concert will be. If it was sufficiently bad I guess concert goers could demand to get their money back, but I have heard no report of that happening.

What is ironic is of course that most people who complain and whine didn't pay a buck to see the concerts, it was streamed for free on the Internet :).

Well people are catching on to his lack of professional attitude.

Catching on? :rofl-lol:

Professional? :rofl-lol:

Dude this is fuckin' W. Axl Rose....and we love him!

Sorry mate, but it is evident by the amount of MASSIVE backlash on multiple forums that the majority of members think Rio was very very bad. You have a 44 page thread where most people state it was a bad show compared to an 8 page thread where most people state it was good. Really man, look at the performance, it was not good.... I'm not saying I hate Axl or he should retire or reunite, I'm saying the show was bad.

Axl just seemed unprepared for one reason or another. Then he seemed frustrated with himself as the concert progressed.

As a professional I'm confident Axl will re-group, warm those vocal chords and perhaps try to get fitter for this tour. Axl has to take better care of his vocals and body if he is to continue to sing and perform the way he intends.

I think it's more foolish to try and continue to justify Axl's obvious lack of giving a shit.

Again I fear you are confusing me with someone else because surely I haven't been justifying any of Axl's actions, and I know would never do such an odd thing.

I have just been -- futile I am afraid -- trying to make you see that to me Axl's lack of professionalism is not sufficient to not make me a fan of GN'R the band. I absolutely accept that this may not be the case for others, like you, but I do hope that if, sometime in the future, I find myself in a situation where I am no longer a fan of GN'R, I would leave more gracefully than what you are doing.

It really comes down to Axl just being a douchebag. When you really need the guy to step up against all odds he will fail everytime. I understand the situation with it pouring down rain and being less than ideal situation for them to play in, but how great would of been if he delivered a stellar performance? It would of been awesome. He just doesnt give a fuck, he's fat, bloated, winded, un prepared, bitchy, forgets lyrics and takes it out on the fans. Its sad,really. The band was great, but if I was a member I just dont know how much I could deal with. I really respect guys like Tommy and Dizzy who stick it out with the guy cuz I most likely wouldnt, regardless of the paycheck.

I think Axl just takes it all for granted. He rides that wave of mystique and thinks his hardcore fans will always be there and what he really needs is treated the way his fans are. We all should just show up at the gig at 2 am and walk out when we dont hear what we want or boo everytime a song is played that we dont want to hear. The guy doesnt have 1 fucking ounce of professionalism for someone thats been doing this shit for over 25 years and still acts like a diva is just sad.

This is about more than Rock in Rio. Rock in Rio is the culmination of 15 years worth of bullshit.

I think it's more foolish to try and continue to justify Axl's obvious lack of giving a shit.

+1

No more excuses for Mr. Rose. This little experiment was intriguing at first. Can he pull it off with no original members? What's it gonna sound like - Pink Floyd with Trent Reznor? Album releases, promo, so much potential.

Now we have officially over-the-hill fat Axl. A band of second-rate nobodies including a Slash wannabe complete with just lit cig ready for his solo and a dude who thinks wearing a storm trooper helmet on stage for the second song is more important than nailing the solo. Fuck that.

There's many factors at to why Axl wasn't great are Rio. From him not rehearsing, to the teleprompter being covered with plastic and the rain was making it hard to see, to the rain and storming weather in general. Maybe Axl was sick, maybe it's because he didn't rehearse?

What ever the case, it was a good show with Axl messing up a few lines and not being on par to what he was last tour.

What is ironic is of course that most people who complain and whine didn't pay a buck to see the concerts, it was streamed for free on the Internet :).

This is the sad truth. Keep it up SM, you're owning his ass.

Owning? We are having a civil discussion, I respect what he is SoulMonster is saying. Unlike your dribble.

Hehe, that is of course debatable since no one of us knows exactly why he forgot words and why his voice wasn't top notch, but let's not ;)

People expect a good show. I know if I paid money to see what what shown I would not be happy.

Most people seem to have enjoyed the show. But of course it is possible you expect more than most people, fans here tend to do ;). But it happens you pay for concert tickets and feel short changed. It happens regularly. It's part of the deal, you never know how good the concert will be. If it was sufficiently bad I guess concert goers could demand to get their money back, but I have heard no report of that happening.

Yes, but you can't tell me that his voice being bad and him forgetting the lyrics could be blamed on anyone or anything other than his lack of interest/discipline and motivation.... He has never stuffed up so many lines at a show before...

Maybe most people at the show enjoyed it, maybe they are still starstruck and having butterflies about the whole night and haven't made a final conclusion yet. I remember there was good buzz initially after RIR III and we all now what the general consensus is now...

It may be ironic, but I ask you this; If Axl and the band brought the house down with a totally sublime performance, would I not be able to praise the said performance simply because I only saw the show on the internet? Would my opinion of the show I saw on the stream be any less valid than the other people's who saw the show on the internet? No. So why do the tables turn when it's a negative opinion?

Yes, but you can't tell me that his voice being bad and him forgetting the lyrics could be blamed on anyone or anything other than his lack of interest/discipline and motivation.... He has never stuffed up so many lines at a show before...

Maybe most people at the show enjoyed it, maybe they are still starstruck and having butterflies about the whole night and haven't made a final conclusion yet. I remember there was good buzz initially after RIR III and we all now what the general consensus is now...

It may be ironic, but I ask you this; If Axl and the band brought the house down with a totally sublime performance, would I not be able to praise the said performance simply because I only saw the show on the internet? Would my opinion of the show I saw on the stream be any less valid than the other people's who saw the show on the internet? No. So why do the tables turn when it's a negative opinion?

What does it matter if you were there or saw the live stream? So people who were there are the only ones who can have an opinion?? What sense does that make? no one can have an opinion on anything that happens in the world unless we were there? lol

What does it matter if you were there or saw the live stream? So people who were there are the only ones who can have an opinion?? What sense does that make? no one can have an opinion on anything that happens in the world unless we were there? lol

According to people like Volcano69, you can only comment if you attended the show :) And even then, it has to be done in an ass-kissing way, no negative talk whatsoever because Axl does what Axl wants :P

Almost all the press here in Brazil was positive about the show. Axl had problems with his flight (Beta´s fault??), traveled for long 10 hours, arrived at Rio 5:00 PM and sang from 2:40 AM until 5:10 AM. It was actually good. I watched the show on Multishow, that is not the main TV channel (is a paid one) here, and the sound mixing was much better than Globo´s or what I listened on internet later. I also talked to people that was on the show and they all loved it.

I watched old Guns back in 1993 in Sao Paulo. They stared 2,5 hours late and also cut the set list because of the amount f rain. On that days people complained that Axl´s voice was too "raspy" and he was almost screaming instead of singing.

So:

1) Axl sings a kind of music that is very difficult to maintain in a high level. He is starting a 30 shows tour and is normal to try not to fuck with the vocal cords in the first one. He didn´t miss one high note !

2) The Globo´s and Internet mixing let Axl´s voice much higher then the instruments, comparing to Multishow mixing

3) Axl is 20 years older... I think it´s great that he stills here for us. And we all know that he is going to get better along the tour

4) Brazilian press and most of the people here enjoyed it a lot. And it´s unusual because he had serious problems on the last tour here

5) I love Slash, but can´t even move on the stage anymore. He has serious heart problems an internal defibrilator device. But we don´t keep waiting him to jump all over the places like he used to do. Well, he plays the guitar, and it´s much easier than singing for 2-3 hours in terms of cardiovascvular system

6) The rain didn´t help at all. Mainly on Axl performance !

I think people on this forum are being very pessimist. I can´t really understand it. I can´tr believed there are this kind of "love or hate" around Axl on a GN´R forum.

VMAs performance was a lot worse. How can anyone say this was the worst?

I agree with this. But if you remember, there were people then and now saying it was a great comeback, and yadda yadda yadda. The interesting thing is axl did bounce back, and I think he can do it again. I just wished that he'd remember that a little effort goes a long way in terms of a little rehearsal and exercise.

That's not really the issue with me though. My issue is again, they've been a band twice as long as the classic band and only play, since the last leg of the tour, 4 ot 5 of their own songs, and nothing new. Is the US gonna buy into that this tour? It's more or less the same thing they got in 2006, and let's face it, they weren't even interested that much then. On top of that, rio did seem put a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouths. And look how pouty axl got there. My concern is, IF the US tour did go awry, is that gonna make axl go off the grid for more years to come? The man just doesn't do well with any kind of negative feedback at all...

I agree with this post mostly. I just know Axl'll bounce back. He does every time. The issue is whether America will give him the chance to.

I will say that people on Twitter were tweeting me saying how amazing Axl is and how he surpassed their expectations. My mom enjoyed Axl. And I know a lot of people who didn't watch RIR that intend to go to a GN'R concert with me. :) Heck, I know a whole bunch of Carrie Underwood fans that plan on going because they fell in love with NR, SCOM, PC and Patience by attending a Carrie concert. So who knows?

Bottom line, if Axl had came to the show in singing shape, they played Estranged and debuted one new song (even just an old CD song that wasn't released)........then 90% of the posts in this forum are positive and not negative. Rock and Roll really isn't that complicated.

Beta or whomever makes the decisions for GnR just don't seem to get it.

You don't have to pay me management fees. Here ya go: Put out a new album every 3 years. Tour for 1.5 years between them. Do a few interviews for each tour and album. Play at least one live event (super bowl, david letterman, VMAs, etc, pick one) per year. After your 1.5 years of touring, take six months off to go play and relax. Then come together with the band and record the next album and release it (over a year's time).

Repeat that three year cycle for the next 15 years.

Retire.

Edited by Groghan

Of course there could be many reasons for him performing badly than just unprofessionalism, although I do not believe that to be the case, I was just making a rhetorical point.

I don't think they do. I believe we are all allowed to express our opinions on RIR IV regardless of how we watched it.

Almost all the press here in Brazil was positive about the show. Axl had problems with his flight (Beta´s fault??), traveled for long 10 hours, arrived at Rio 5:00 PM and sang from 2:40 AM until 5:10 AM. It was actually good. I watched the show on Multishow, that is not the main TV channel (is a paid one) here, and the sound mixing was much better than Globo´s or what I listened on internet later. I also talked to people that was on the show and they all loved it.

I watched old Guns back in 1993 in Sao Paulo. They stared 2,5 hours late and also cut the set list because of the amount f rain. On that days people complained that Axl´s voice was too "raspy" and he was almost screaming instead of singing.

So:

1) Axl sings a kind of music that is very difficult to maintain in a high level. He is starting a 30 shows tour and is normal to try not to fuck with the vocal cords in the first one. He didn´t miss one high note !

2) The Globo´s and Internet mixing let Axl´s voice much higher then the instruments, comparing to Multishow mixing

3) Axl is 20 years older... I think it´s great that he stills here for us. And we all know that he is going to get better along the tour

4) Brazilian press and most of the people here enjoyed it a lot. And it´s unusual because he had serious problems on the last tour here

5) I love Slash, but can´t even move on the stage anymore. He has serious heart problems an internal defibrilator device. But we don´t keep waiting him to jump all over the places like he used to do. Well, he plays the guitar, and it´s much easier than singing for 2-3 hours in terms of cardiovascvular system

6) The rain didn´t help at all. Mainly on Axl performance !

I think people on this forum are being very pessimist. I can´t really understand it. I can´tr believed there are this kind of "love or hate" around Axl on a GN´R forum.

willing to accept a performance like that is probably what everyone is worried about...

critizicing it is recognizing that the band is not improving, and they need to.. but wait... we've heard that before

some are just tired of waiting for that GNR comeback, it's been more than 10 years since the whole Chinesse Democracy started, and GNR are exactly in the same spot they where back then... sure, it' always nice to see Axl back.. but GNR is becoming a nostalgia act... "let's go crazy with the old songs, they rocked.... let's hear what the new band has to offer now...... ok i'm good, not having that"

things aren't clearly moving forward.. saying otherwise is just denial

..why the yellow coat ?

I'm guessing because it was raining.

Since when did rock stars go on stage wearing rain coats ?

None of the hired hands were wearing rain coats.

You'd have thought an adrenaline fueled Axl Rose would storm on stage in a t-shirt, take no notice of the rain, and belt out song after song. Maybe Axl's bored by it all now. The Chinese thing is over, so that excitement has worn thin. Maybe the thought of the looming tour means little to him. Who knows ?

Edited by star

He completely RUINED everything for the upcoming US tour. He looks really bad, this facelift/botox whatever it is doesn't help, but damn HIT THE GYM like every other major singer does, look at Steven Tyler for christ's sake, one of your models, older than you are. I don't understand what's in his head. If he doesn't seriously hit the gym and train his vocals, then GNR is fucking over. If Axl succeeded in maintaining GNR alive, it's because he's always kept some edge, some rants, something that make him be Axl. Even in 2001, his physical shape and rants did make up for the terrible vocals. Here, there was absolutely nothing to back up the voice catastrophee.

Well you're lucky that there's this South American tour beforehand - they'll probably hit the ground running in the States!

No, you're the dumbass that's willing to accept a performance that was pure shit.

You're the dumbass that isn't smart enough to realize that the people that were actually at the show had a great time. Yet you still sit here whining worse than a 3 year old. Fuck off and go waste people's time in a forum for a band you like.

Edited by Damn_Smooth

No, you're the dumbass that's willing to accept a performance that was pure shit.

You're the dumbass that isn't smart enough to realize that the people that were actually at the show had a great time. Yet you still sti here whining worse than a 3 year old. Fuck off and go waste peoples time in a forum for a band you like.

if you were at the show and you had a great time, good for you. i couldn't be happier for you.

am i whining worse than a three year old, or am i whining worse than a washed up 50 year old that's "so pissed right now"? should i just stand here on this spot and "sing"?

:kiss:

You're the dumbass that isn't smart enough to realize that the people that were actually at the show had a great time. Yet you still sti here whining worse than a 3 year old. Fuck off and go waste peoples time in a forum for a band you like.

Here is the conflict: both of you have 2 different perceptions of what went down in Rio. But here's the thing, both of you are not going to change your opinions. Both of you are allowed to express what you thought of the show, regardless if you thought it was great or if you thought it sucked. Being at the show is irrelevant, people are talking about what they heard, no more no less. If everyone who wasn't at the show were not allowed to have an opinion, there would only be like 6 people talking about it. So let's just let members express their views both good and bad. The problem is when one person thinks their opinion is objectively right and everyone else is wrong