This Rio show was a complete DISASTER

D..

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's just ripping people off

I am surprised more people aren't upset about that aspect.

By "playing his way" into shape so to speak, he is all but announcing that this first batch of shows are full priced practice sessions because he clearly spent zero time preparing on his own before hand.

ginger tubby can't hold a note

Ugh, too far and not funny

bullshit. He shows up completely out of shape, vocals and body. Both need conditioning. He's just ripping people off and making a mockery his legend.

Alright, that's cool..

Your last comment was just really rude

Just like every other fan...I want him to be good.

I just saw that show, and, well, it wasn't good. I feel bad for Axl.

He looked and sounded great in 2006. Touring, putting on great shows, playing new songs live. CD finally comes out, but by the time it did, most of it had leaked. And after years of anticipation, it just arrived. No hype, no press, no talk about the struggles to make the album. It was just there. After all that work and the struggles to complete it, it just came and went.

Now they're touring a 3 year old album. He doesn't look to be in great shape, he's looking his age. His voice isn't good. It was embarrassing to watch. Where do they go from here? Tour, then what? Does anyone really see them keeping it together to complete an album? Sad to say, but I could see them finishing this tour and that being the end of it.

By "playing his way" into shape so to speak, he is all but announcing that this first batch of shows are full priced practice sessions because he clearly spent zero time preparing on his own before hand.

Oh for Christ sake. Seriously, quit whining about that. Bands always get tighter, singers always get in better shape as the tour progresses. No amount of vocal exercises can mimic the rigors of a live show and touring schedule.

Ali

Oh for Christ sake. Seriously, quit whining about that. Bands always get tighter, singers always get in better shape as the tour progresses. No amount of vocal exercises can mimic the rigors of a live show and touring schedule.

Ali

he should've rehearsed. it's fucking inexcusable to be that woefully unprepared.

Idk it seems like axls never prepared for any tour..the band rehearses without him and as a result, theyre clearly prepared. Things will get better as time and the tour rolls on..but i see the frustration with the fact Axl wasnt as prepared as he could have, and probably should have been.

Ali

he should've rehearsed. it's fucking inexcusable to be that woefully unprepared.

agreed. rehearse, exercise, prepare. find your fucking priority.

Edited by Prozacship

Also, as much as I love Ron, I hope he gets a verbal beat-down for fucking up the Jungle solo like that. I don't care who you are, if there are 100,000 people in a crowd and you're dicking around with a prop one person threw onstage to the point where you fuck up one of the most iconic solos in the entire set, that's totally unprofessional. That was a "Ron Thal Show" move. Not cool. Hats off to him for playing in his condition though - the rest of his performance was top-notch.

if i were ron thal, and i were on tour while i was in intense fucking pain from injuries received in a car wreck, and that fat motherfucker tried to call me out for that, i would tell him to get fucked.

Oh for Christ sake. Seriously, quit whining about that. Bands always get tighter, singers always get in better shape as the tour progresses.

Please tell me you don't think that he wouldn't be light years ahead of where he is right now in his preparation if he had been rehearsing with his band the past month as they have been.

Why does the band even bother rehearsing?

With your logic it would be fine if they just showed up and started playing the first gig, because they would be better by the end.

They practice because they don't want to embarrass themselves like Axl did. And just as they looked tight and together because of that work, Axl would have similarly looked far better than he did.

Does anyone even know of another band that the lead singer literally doesn't play with them before a tour until the first song at the first show? I mean that is unreal, and the fact he thinks he can pull it off speaks to the arrogance level the band has to put up with.

They should band together and tell Axl if he doesn't practice, they don't practice. Maybe that would get him off his ass.

Ali

You're as reliable as the sun, Ali. You will always put a positive spin on everything GN'R, even when it's one of the lowest points in their history. Axl sounded better, and was in better shape, to start the 2006 and 2009 tours. So sure bands get better and tighter, but there's no reason you can't come out at a high level. Oh, and the band itself was tight as hell last night. They won't improve much, because there isn't much room for improvement.

I sincerely hope that Axl simply wasn't prepared. Of course, it wouldn't be the first time. The whole post '97 era has been a picture of underachievement because they did not put in the work they needed to. At the end of the day this is what it comes down to. If you want to be at the top of your game, if you want to put out an album with proper artwork and promotion, you roll up your sleeves and ensure things get done. Thousands of artists do it every year. You can't blame legal woes and Irving Azoff and whatever other excuse you wanna reach for. GN'R has dropped the ball too many times to ignore the one constant that matters over the past fifteen years...and going back even further than that.

Hopefully there aren't more serious issues that Axl is dealing with. Hopefully he's healthy and pissed off about last night and hopefully this creates some much needed urgency.

It saddens me deeply that Axl is choosing to age more like Vince Neil than Steven Tyler. At his age you can't keep your body if you don't work at it. Thing is, you can keep it if you work at it. Axl seems to have made his choice though, so not much we can do about it.

Why does this saddens you? I am sure you can find videos and pics of Axl in his 20s to masturbate to.

He could look like Pavarotti for all I care, as long as he can sing. I'd rather he spent his time rehearsing with the band and singing with his coach than running on the threadmill and lifting weights.

As long as he can sing? Isn't it obvious that if you are going to move as much as Axl does you need to be in good physical condition in order to sing well?

Oh for Christ sake. Seriously, quit whining about that. Bands always get tighter, singers always get in better shape as the tour progresses.

Please tell me you don't think that he wouldn't be light years ahead of where he is right now in his preparation if he had been rehearsing with his band the past month as they have been.

Why does the band even bother rehearsing?

With your logic it would be fine if they just showed up and started playing the first gig, because they would be better by the end.

They practice because they don't want to embarrass themselves like Axl did. And just as they looked tight and together because of that work, Axl would have similarly looked far better than he did.

Does anyone even know of another band that the lead singer literally doesn't play with them before a tour until the first song at the first show? I mean that is unreal, and the fact he thinks he can pull it off speaks to the arrogance level the band has to put up with.

They should band together and tell Axl if he doesn't practice, they don't practice. Maybe that would get him off his ass.

You do not need to rehearse with your band to improve your vocal conditioning. That's why vocal exercises and coaches exist. You do not need to rehearse with your band to practice vocal melodies and recall lyrics. You don't need to work with your band to improve your cardiovascular conditioning - the point you harp on so much.

We get it - you think Axl is out of shape. Great. You made your point. Why do you feel the need to reiterate over and over again?

Ali

You do not need to rehearse with your band to improve your vocal conditioning. That's why vocal exercises and coaches exist. You do not need to rehearse with your band to practice vocal melodies and recall lyrics. You don't need to work with your band to improve your cardiovascular conditioning - the point you harp on so much.

you're right. axl could have done all those things on his own. he obviously did not.

Ali

You're as reliable as the sun, Ali. You will always put a positive spin on everything GN'R, even when it's one of the lowest points in their history. Axl sounded better, and was in better shape, to start the 2006 and 2009 tours. So sure bands get better and tighter, but there's no reason you can't come out at a high level. Oh, and the band itself was tight as hell last night. They won't improve much, because there isn't much room for improvement.

I sincerely hope that Axl simply wasn't prepared. Of course, it wouldn't be the first time. The whole post '97 era has been a picture of underachievement because they did not put in the work they needed to. At the end of the day this is what it comes down to. If you want to be at the top of your game, if you want to put out an album with proper artwork and promotion, you roll up your sleeves and ensure things get done. Thousands of artists do it every year. You can't blame legal woes and Irving Azoff and whatever other excuse you wanna reach for. GN'R has dropped the ball too many times to ignore the one constant that matters over the past fifteen years...and going back even further than that.

Hopefully there aren't more serious issues that Axl is dealing with. Hopefully he's healthy and pissed off about last night and hopefully this creates some much needed urgency.

It saddens me deeply that Axl is choosing to age more like Vince Neil than Steven Tyler. At his age you can't keep your body if you don't work at it. Thing is, you can keep it if you work at it. Axl seems to have made his choice though, so not much we can do about it.

Why does this saddens you? I am sure you can find videos and pics of Axl in his 20s to masturbate to.

He could look like Pavarotti for all I care, as long as he can sing. I'd rather he spent his time rehearsing with the band and singing with his coach than running on the threadmill and lifting weights.

As long as he can sing? Isn't it obvious that if you are going to move as much as Axl does you need to be in good physical condition in order to sing well?

Maybe I'm not as dramatic as you? The cancellation of the rest of the 2002 tour was far more dire than this. This was a bad show, not anywhere near the first in GN'R history. Why not waiting to see how the subsequent shows go before waiving the white flag?

Ali

Hello

I'm always here reading the forum but i never post. I was able to go to the show and im gonna do a little review... btw, sorry for my english

This comes from a big fan of the old gnr and only a moderate fan of the new one (moderate enough to go to the show)

After four shows and standing four about 13-14 hours, everybody was completely wet, tired and cold. I wasn't expecting much from the rest of the crowd, but was hoping the band could change my mind.

After i don't know how many hours, people got very excited with CD and jungle, axl voice wasn't as bad as it is on the videos, and people was very pissed with the mess in the jungle solo... get the helmet of and fucking play the solo.

Only the major hits made the crowd go crazy, even songs like it's so easy, mr browstone and rocket queen were only ok for the crowd. Chinese Democracy songs didn't get a good response at all, only on This I Love people applauded axl on the middle of the song, he sounded really good. His voice was obviously not as good as 20 years ago and even last year but was far from being bad as it sounds on the tv.

The members didn't get a good response from the crowd at any time... i don't like long intrumental solos at any shows, but 3 guitar solos and a piano solo, at 4~5am was really too much, people was pissed. People was pissed too with the silly "GUNS... N... ROSES" thing after every song, the first time was cool, the second was ok, after that, no...Also, the response after the songs was really weak too, i watched the videos and it seems people was crazy after the end of the songs, put it was very few people, almost none near me (and i was very close to the stage). And when a member asked the crowd to clap or something, very very few people responded, i think this was because of the cold and fatigue tho. Axl, of course, was the exception, when he came to the left part of the stage near where i was, in patience, people just went crazy. He never asks the crowd for clapping, but if he had done it yesterday, i think even the security guards would do it.

The band was really good, except for axl, they really seemed to rehearsal a lot. I think 3 guitars is too much and that Pittman is completely unnecessary, but, as far as it goes, they were very good.

Estranged was so freaking awesome, definitly the top moment of the night, it's my favorite song and when it started the crowd went crazy, everybody singing the beginning, wasn't expecting it. Was a fantastic perfomance.

A few times the crowd kept asking for don't cry.

The sound effect thing on live and let die was embaressing, didn't sound good and was out of sync, no one liked it.

kohd was fantastic too, i don't really like this version, but it really hit the crowd

Axl forgetting the lyrics on november rain and patience made everyone pissed, this is unforgivable... of course he was pissed too after november rain and kept like that for the rest of the show.

They really need to improve the time between songs, just seemed they were like "what do we do now?" Didn't seem it was because the rain and didn't seem at all a huge band headlining a huge festival... i went to slipknot and metallica last sunday and their show was tecnically perfect.

After Paradise City, everyone was hoping they would come back to wave for the crowd... it was a disappoitment for everyone that they didn't.

Edited by foker

Big fan of him since day one. Although disappointed and insulted tbh by the simple fact that he appears to have put zero effort into the gig, then sulking near the end after the Patience technical difficulties. The band worked hard, put some effort in, Axl turned up and couldn't even just go through the motions.

Seems to me that GNR are over, if he cannot pull his shit together & prepare for a big gig like this, then its a fact.

Of course I would like him to both be in shape to do an energetic show and not be winded AND train the voice to be able to belt out high notes with rasp without sounding like a dying duck. But if I would have to chose between one of them I 'd prefer him to be a fat slob who stands still and sings perfect than one who obsesses more on appearance than actually doing the vocal exercises that is required of him to not only switch nicely between different voices but also to sustain tones.