This Rio show was a complete DISASTER

D..

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll wait for the reviews from people who were at the show. I'll be surprised if the people who went thought it sucked.

I fucking loved it. Wasn't the best GnR concert I attended just because of the physical conditions I was in after arriving at RiR so early in the morning and all....

BTW one thing has been bothering me, I didn't notice it during the broadcast. Did someone from the crowd throw the stormtrooper helmet on stage or did BBF bring it?

Because if it came from the audience I can understand he would like to fuck around with it for fun and for the person that threw it. But if it was his own helmet... holy shit, that would be ridiculous.

Bumble saw the helmet in the audience and took it. To be fair, him failing the solo BECAUSE of the helmet was funny (stupid funny if you want but still funny), it's wasn't out of his inability to play the songs and he nailed every fucking solo afterwards. Also, he apologized to the fans for this. So it's really not the thing that broke the evening for me.

BTW one thing has been bothering me, I didn't notice it during the broadcast. Did someone from the crowd throw the stormtrooper helmet on stage or did BBF bring it?

Because if it came from the audience I can understand he would like to fuck around with it for fun and for the person that threw it. But if it was his own helmet... holy shit, that would be ridiculous.

Bumble saw the helmet in the audience and took it. To be fair, him failing the solo BECAUSE of the helmet was funny (stupid funny if you want but still funny), it's wasn't out of his inability to play the songs and he nailed every fucking solo afterwards. Also, he apologized to the fans for this. So it's really not the thing that broke the evening for me.

That helmet was given to him by a fan the night before. He signed it, saw the fan with the helmet in the audience, went to greet the fan and used the helmet. That's awesome of his part. Too bad it fucked the WTTJ solo.

Jesus Christ, it was ONE performance. Estranged hath returned. Axl always improves.

It's funny, though, because, on Twitter, a lot of people were saying, "Axl's still got it." I kinda like that we give Axl such hard lovin'. Our expectations must've been so much higher than everybody else's that they heard a completely different show.

That last bit was kinda irrelevant, but whatever. I found it interesting.

it wasnt nearly as bad as some make it out to be the only bad thing was forgetting the words yeah his voice wasnt 100 percent but this i love,sorry,estranged,live and let die he fucking did great

First off let me just say that to hear Axl sing Estranged again after 18 fucking years was amazing, but i think what the problem was at the end of the show was years of regret. My opinion is that at that moment when we seen him stare off blankly in the distance the way he did he was thinking about playing with the old band and wishing they were up there with him. Again i am all for the new band and new songs and moving forward but it is my opinion that he just really misses playing with Izzy,Duff, And Slash and he is finally realizing that/

That helmet was given to him by a fan the night before. He signed it, saw the fan with the helmet in the audience, went to greet the fan and used the helmet. That's awesome of his part. Too bad it fucked the WTTJ solo.

Under that circumstance, I don't really mind the solo getting fucked up. Even still, these guys are humans and they fuck up sometimes. What doesn't need to happen is for one silly screw up to screw up the entire show.

Also, he apologized to the fans for this. So it's really not the thing that broke the evening for me.

He apologized?! How unnecessary. It's a live show. Things are supposed to be chaotic and a bit unexpected. That's why I watch live shows.

Bumblefoot is overcaring with his fans, sometimes I think it's a strategy but let's face it: it works, it's intelligent and at least he cares like a professional that he is. I agree it wasn't totally necessary since this accident was more funny than tragic, it didn't show any inability to play the song.

First off let me just say that to hear Axl sing Estranged again after 18 fucking years was amazing, but i think what the problem was at the end of the show was years of regret. My opinion is that at that moment when we seen him stare off blankly in the distance the way he did he was thinking about playing with the old band and wishing they were up there with him. Again i am all for the new band and new songs and moving forward but it is my opinion that he just really misses playing with Izzy,Duff, And Slash and he is finally realizing that/

You're funny.

+1 =)

Cool!

Okay here is what was wrong/off with Axl last night. He was nervous.

He knew that this gig was very important. He was well aware that it would be broadcast all over the world and thousands would be watching. Yes, Axl Rose still gets "butterflies" even after being in this profession for 25 years. He is also a perfectionist so when anytihing sounds off or goes wrong, he "feels" it.

Now, you can all say, "well if he only rehearsed or did warm up gigs prior, this wouldn't have happened." Truth is, Axl Rose never rehearses nor does he go to sound checks. He never has and he never will. He also wouldn't have done RIO unless he was the last act to close the evening as then he wouldn't be headlining and he would be opening for someone.

Egotiistical: Yes, very much so.

But all of you who are so quck to bash, think about this. It is all so easy for you to criticize and judge Axl and I am sure today he is very sad, pissed off and angry with himself for a lot of the shit that happened last night. He is his own worst critic.

I am sure he is also reading these boards and to come in here and read a lot of the negativity isn't helping either.

Axl hates touring. He would much rather be a studio musiician.

So with that said, let's ease up on the negativity and let's look at the positives: The rain didn't cause anyone on stage to fall and slip as Axl even expressed this at the show. They played a long set. Okay, he messed up the words on a few songs and some were pitchy, but it could have been a lot worse. With all that riain, the stage could have collapsed. People could have gotten killed from that.

Axl even told everyone last night that he is better at being an idiot.

And knock off the wieight comments. He is almost 50. He still looks the best out of any of the original GNR members. Some of you expect him to look like he did back in AFD days and that will never happen.

So let's turn this shp around and be positive. GNR have a NA tour around the corner as well as dates in SA and Mexico. So many of you wanted news, tours, albums, etc and then when you get two out of three requests, you still find something to complain about.

It is a lot healthier to look ahead then to drum up negative things over and over again.

Is Axl human? Yes. Is he flawed? Most definately.

You all can choose your own destiny. Are you going to continue to bash a band and a frontman that you all claim to admire? I am chosing to be proactive and putting myself in his shoes and I wouldn't want to trade places with him for anything.

Edited by Tabitha27

Estranged and Dj's solo 'Mi Amore' were the highlights...the other song performances varied from really bad up to mediocre (except for the band, they were tight). After 'Ballad of Death' Dj impressed AGAIN with his OWN material.

fuck yea. Awesome solo from DJ, it reminds me the kind of atmosphere you could have with Slash during Godfather, this really came from heart!

Hope there will be new material from GnR with DJ involved!

To be fair, I've partly watched the TV show again ( sounds way better than the Youtube one ) and now I'm even sad for Axl.

He clearly brought it upon himself though, but you could clearly tell that he was very dissatisfied with himself.

Well, either that or he was high but you could clearly tell that he wasn't comfortable at all after November Rain.

To be fair, I've partly watched the TV show again ( sounds way better than the Youtube one ) and now I'm even sad for Axl.

He clearly brought it upon himself though, but you could clearly tell that he was very dissatisfied with himself.

Well, either that or he was high but you could clearly tell that he wasn't comfortable at all after November Rain.

Very true, I've watched it again in HD as well.

All of this is making me very sad. I feel connected to Axl and this gig was terribly wrong. He looks dissatisfied but he really has to question himself and put all the blame on himself. If he can learn from this catastrophee and come back better than ever, then I'm all for it. Otherwise I fear it might be the end of new Guns.

One other thing: it was quite clear that Axl would have preferred to leave some time around patience. But he couldn't because it was Rio and knew the crowd wasn't to blame. And I fear that since he HAS to tour the US to fulfill the settlement with Azoff, we might see him again like this and it's going to be sad. I think a part of Guns died tonight, it was their last shot at making it big again but Axl ruined it. It would take a miracle to reverse the steam on this tour. Maybe Axl can pull it off but I have huge doubts now that I know he doesn't rehearse and basically let his band save the show.

Edited by D..

Thing is.. It's not the fact that there are setbacks (weather, no gigs for a while etc, vocal problems, technical problems, missing a lyric) that make this such a bad show (although they don't help, obviously). It's the way that Axl chooses to handle them that's horribly unprofessional and quite honestly just plain shameful.

Thing is.. It's not the fact that there are setbacks (weather, no gigs for a while etc, vocal problems, technical problems, missing a lyric) that make this such a bad show (although they don't help, obviously). It's the way that Axl chooses to handle them that's horribly unprofessional and quite honestly just plain shameful.

He acted like a 6-year old, who is pissed when mommy don't buy candy, fucking ridicilous!! And this comes from a huge gnr and Axl fan..

Geez some posters claim that it was his and Guns N' Roses last shot at making it big - it wasn't. We Guns N' Roses fans know that Rio is important but Rock Am Ring was alos broadcasted and what ? It was one hell of a show, almost whole 2006 tour was perfect. It means nothing to making it big or not. For majority of fans around the world who like GN'R but aren't into it much it was another gig, Reading or Dublin could have more damage than this show. Rock in Rio was sentimental for Axl and he is pissed at himself for sure but even playing 3,5hours perfectly wouldn't help GN'R make it big. They've played almost perfect 4hours show in Tokyo it didn't mean a thing as far as making it big is concerned.

Guns N' Roses still could make it big , Release great record and promote it BIG. Chinese Democracy is my favorite album of decade for sure still listening to it, but I understand that it was too difficult for mass listeners, it didn't have ass kickin' singles etc. That is the chance to make it Big, and I'd rather hear new songs in the future then being played by Axl who wasn't in great form. From commercial point he shouldn't play any new songs just release an album.

I don't think he knows how to deal with failure very well actually.

I mean, it's kinda scary watching him during November Rain.

He forgot the lyrics. Well, yes, too bad, maybe some rehearsing with the band would have prevented that from happening, but no big deal. Yet his face suddenly darkned, he started staring into the void, and he was no longer the same for the rest of the show.

His face during the beginning of Paradise City, man, you can almost hear him think "Wow...Where am I ? What just happened ? What now ?"

I picture him as a very perfectionist, yet lazy and unprofessional, but also vulnerable person and yesterday, he exposed himself in ways he clearly wasn't comfortable with.

Was sad now that I've seen the show again.

Hopefully he doesn't let this show fuck him up too badly and I hope he learned the lesson ( he CLEARLY felt like something was wrong, you can clearly see it from the look on his face ) and maybe he'll rehearse more in the future ( if there's one ).

I'm looking forward to following Axl and the band at the next gigs. Usually he gets much, much better as the tour progresses.

It was tough watching the show yesterday and seeing my idol struggling to get enough air to sing his own songs, AND mess up the lyrics in such a way as he did.

Edited by AppetiteForGnR

Messing up lyrics you've known for decades in front of 100,000+ people and then carrying on with one awesome vocal performance is hardly acting like a child...

Just watch end of november rain, Axl is so pissed off that doesn't even want to sing it, is it professional singer in action? Look how Bubmlefoot just enjoys his playing next to Axl..