Do you think that GnR's next album will break one million units in 3 months or less?

saber_

Majority of the us public view axl as the reason that he and slash dont get along, it is a big hurtle, but not impossable. If the songs or the album is really good, it could help people forget. The biggest thing missing from cd imo was a big classic rock song. Say what you will about how great better or shacklers are, cause I kmow bucket and robin fans love those songs, but ycbm pisses all over them. And thats what cd or any future releases need. Think about it, most people think of jungle as the beginning of gnr. And thats a kick ass rocking song. When the illusion albums came out, ycbm became the new great rnr song from gnr. I'm not saying it is the best song from those albums, it's just the best straight rock song. Axl and gnr need another one like that, if they really want to shock the world again.

Saying that doesnt mean gnr will be the bigest band in the world again, they need a reunion to do that. But they could find exceptance if they write a great rock song, appetite sounding.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I don't think it will sell as good as CD. Maybe that it can come up in a similarly level, but not higher.

All of you can say that CD wasn't promoted at all, but in the end of the day, it's quite possibly the album that has got the most free advertising and promotion ever, just for being the album it is. The "Axl didn't promote it, that's why it failed" is such bullshit. "The most anticipated album of all time."

If the next cd is again a Best Buy exclusive, I doubt it would sell half of what Chinese sold in the US. On the other hand, if Walmart got it and promoted it, I would guess whoever bet on 1million+ would take the $100.

Take Best Buy's daily visitors and multiply that number by 10,000, and you have Walmart. Most cd purchases are impulse buys, right? If people don't see it, it won't sell. Walmart gets 100 million shoppers a week in the USA (1/3 of the US population). Had Walmart gotten the CD exclusive and used similar isolated promotional displays that Best Buy used, don't you think CD would have sold 3 or 4 times more than it did?

what makes anyone think there will be a next album?

The fact that we know lots of work has been done on a next record and that the band members (at least those that have spoken about it lately) are motivated to release again.

Other than vague statements we really don't have evidence about material by the (current) "band" members. I don't see much motivation other than by Ashba. I remember a "nail in the coffin" statement when the tour ended by BBF and seems like the others are on some type of gag order.

And even if they are motivated, Axl has the last word, and Axl doesn't seem like he has new music on his mind for the last 15 years or so.

I don't think it will sell as good as CD. Maybe that it can come up in a similarly level, but not higher.

All of you can say that CD wasn't promoted at all, but in the end of the day, it's quite possibly the album that has got the most free advertising and promotion ever, just for being the album it is. The "Axl didn't promote it, that's why it failed" is such bullshit. "The most anticipated album of all time."

No doubt, It had more promotion then most albums, even without Axls help. The Dr Pepper fiasco alone made worldwide news. Anyone that comes to the conclusion that the album had no promotion are just bitter that the album didn't sell as projected.

what makes anyone think there will be a next album?

The fact that we know lots of work has been done on a next record and that the band members (at least those that have spoken about it lately) are motivated to release again.

Other than vague statements we really don't have evidence about material by the (current) "band" members.

Why are you now narrowing this down to a new record by "current band members". We are talking a new record. Period. And my point is that a lot of work is already down on a new record, the current band members have added parts, and we might be halfway there. It would be silly to believe this would just be scrapped. Besides, we also know of new songs that has been mentioned on setlists (Goin' Down and The Seeker).

I don't see much motivation other than by Ashba. [...] And even if they are motivated, Axl has the last word, and Axl doesn't seem like he has new music on his mind for the last 15 years or so.

You are probably not aware of quotes from Richard, Tommy and Dizzy then which clearly suggest they are motivated for a new record, then?

Axl hasn't had new music on his mind for the last 15 years? During those years he has worked on music for at least 3 albums according to numerous sources, including industry people. friends, band members, Axl himself, other musicians and past management.

So to conclude: We have good reasons to believe a new record will come out. It might take some time, it might take a fucking lot of time, but eventually it will come out.

Edited by SoulMonster

If a new album ever comes out, it depends upon the direction of the album. If it's another album like Chinese Democracy, I wouldn't think so. What Axl fails to understand is that most rock fans don't want to put a CD on and have to listen through layers and layers of music trying to find some type of meaning that perhaps only he sees in his own work. Your average fan just wants to put on a CD with some rocking good tunes to let off some steam to. Having DJ in the band and Bumblefoot being more rock orientated than Buckethead could indicate the album will be more rock oriented than CD, in which case yes the album could achieve that which the original poster asked. If it's a good album on that basis, then word of mouth will have fans buying everywhere to get a listen, and if it's another so so album like Chinese Democracy according to the average fan, it will lead to so so sales far behind the suggested hypothetic figures.

Edited by Screamin' Demon

No doubt, It had more promotion then most albums, even without Axls help. The Dr Pepper fiasco alone made worldwide news. Anyone that comes to the conclusion that the album had no promotion are just bitter that the album didn't sell as projected.

I agree it was promoted. Only Axl didn't himself. If he had done interviews, was more visible, guest appereances or whatever, I really believe it had sold better. Oh, and that 'Better' video would have helped as well.

I'm not sure why the U.S. is any more important than any other country. If I'm the record label, I'm not going to 'think lesser' of sales in... oh, say- the continent of South America, am I? No, I'm not. I'm going to be happy that the album hit the one million mark in three months, which firmly establishes the band has a worldwide following. Suck on that.

Well, don't get all pissy with me lol. I was just talking sales and the reality of the markets. My opinion is the same as yours, but you didn't ask for opinions.

#1 I'm not being pissy

#2 I understand the reality that the album prolly doesn't have a shot at moving 1,000,000 units in the U.S. alone

#3 Your opinion is welcomed, but don't fuck with me, ok? I don't give a shit about the fact that Slash won the U.S. fair and square. There I said it, are you happy now? I give him credit where credit is due. Thus I created a thread about my bet with Bobbo, which is:

The worldwide sales of the next GnR album will surpass 1,000,000 units by the 3 month anniversary of the album's release date.

Currently, those are the parameters of the bet. I just don't know if I should try to adjust the terms and say maybe 4, 5, or 6 months. Hmm, perhaps I could add a clause that if the album moves 1,000,000 units after the 3 month mark but before the 6 month mark, he has to give me 50 bucks back or something. We're close on a deal. I just need to know if people think the album will do 1,000,001 by the 3 month mark.

Worldwide, the next GNR album will sell more than a million in less than a month....easy. You're good.

:thumbsup:

Exactly.

Best Buy did TV spots for it.

EVERY music and entertainment magazine in the world ran stories and album reviews.

What more promotion do people want?

Heck, didn't the Myspace stream of the album break myspace records?????

THe only promotion it didn't get was from Axl Rose. And like people have said - selling it at Best Buy instead of Walmart was a money maker for the label, but hurt the album in terms of sales.

Otherwise, it was on TV, radio and magazines. I don't know what other promotion it could have gotten, other than Axl doing some late night talk shows and interviews.