Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Jimmy Page vs. Slash

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

Poll: Jimmy Page vs. Slash (54 member(s) have cast votes)

Who was the overall better guitarist?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

Rovim

Rovim

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,976 posts
  • 28-March 04

Gnr and Led are my two favorites bands, it's hard to choose. Slash made memorable solo's, but overall it's Page for me.

Yeah, for sure. If the question was: 'who wrote better solos, Page or Slash?', I'd vote Slash. I just connect with them better. I feel like his solos have that balance between always being melodic, yet they always rock too.

There is always a start, middle and end to most of his Guns solos. A clear direction. On everything else it's Page tho, and it's not like he didn't come up with classic solos as well.

Edited by Rovim, 03 October 2012 - 01:48 AM.

Got my ticket to the rollercoaster of destruction. It's never too late to ride. :o

Groghan

Groghan

FRONTMAN

• SILVER
  • 11,667 posts
  • 15-July 03
The fact that Slash is at least in the same discussion says a lot about his ability.

Obviously anything from Zep is going to top all other rock bands. Just like Michael Jackson for pop music. Beatles for pop rock. Throw in Hendrixs and Elvis......

People say that Kobe isn't as good as Michael like it's an insult. But it is really a compliment. To be considered as a valid discussion against Michael or Page is a pretty high honor.

bacardimayne

bacardimayne

Fatter than ever

• SILVER
  • 16,492 posts
  • 10-May 08

The fact that Slash is at least in the same discussion says a lot about his ability.

Says a lot about his fans overrating the shit out of him. The only people who think Slash is at Jimmy Page level are diehard GNR fans and stupid kids.

dQOAHSG.png

Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth

Commander Awesome

• SILVER
  • 9,475 posts
  • 13-February 06

Obviously anything from Zep is going to top all other rock bands. Just like Michael Jackson for pop music. Beatles for pop rock. Throw in Hendrixs and Elvis......

People say that Kobe isn't as good as Michael like it's an insult. But it is really a compliment. To be considered as a valid discussion against Michael or Page is a pretty high honor.

It doesn't say much about his ability when he's getting slaughtered on a GN'R fan forum. :shrugs:
:shrugs:

MB.

MB.

SUPER GOD

• SILVER
  • 3,930 posts
  • 15-December 08

It doesn't say much about his ability when he's getting slaughtered on a GN'R fan forum. :shrugs:

I don't think, he would mind loosing from Page. Think he probably would agree as well.

Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth

Commander Awesome

• SILVER
  • 9,475 posts
  • 13-February 06

I don't think, he would mind loosing from Page. Think he probably would agree as well.

I agree. It's the fact that we're on a GN'R message board that I find surprising. He does have some diehard fans here.
:shrugs:

Mike420

Mike420

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,574 posts
  • 24-August 06

Overall?? Page for the riffs.

Live? Slash.

"Page has more blues in his soul than Slash??"

Yes on both accounts. Kashmir, whole lotta love, heartbreaker, how many more times, rock and roll, black dog, misty mountain hop, and thats just to name a few. That list is greater riffing than jungle, sweet child, and anything else slash has done.

And the blues part is a no contest. Just go and watch since I've been loving you. More blues inspired playing in the first minute of that song than slash's whole career combined.

And I also think slash himself would say page is better. And you guys are right it is a compliment to be in the same discussion with a true guitar legend like jimmy page.

Edited by Mike420, 03 October 2012 - 07:01 AM.

I like the old band, I like the new band, I even liked that freaky 2001/02 band. Can't we all just get along??????

Mike420

Mike420

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,574 posts
  • 24-August 06

can i say buckethead?

Don't even go there.
I like the old band, I like the new band, I even liked that freaky 2001/02 band. Can't we all just get along??????

volcano62

volcano62

FRONTMAN

• Banned
  • 11,728 posts
  • 16-February 09
DJ owns both of them Posted Image

Seriously though Page gets my vote.

Bumble's Bridge Pickup

Bumble's Bridge Pickup

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts
  • 18-June 10
Page any day.

Posted Image

DieselDaisy

DieselDaisy

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 7,555 posts
  • 11-August 12
I just cannot get my head around Zeppelin. They bore me. Page's leads bore me. Beatles, Stones, Floyd - I love all the old greats except for Led Zeppelin. So it has to be Slash.

moreblack

moreblack

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 30,875 posts
  • 03-April 03

Says a lot about his fans overrating the shit out of him. The only people who think Slash is at Jimmy Page level are diehard GNR fans and stupid kids.

Nah, by now he's earned his name being on the same list, maybe not near or at the top like Jimmy, but certainly somewhere around Duane Allman or Angus Young level.

“To the ones who are negative and want to see either myself or the new band fall on their faces, personally I can’t pass up an opportunity to upset so many of them in one quick swoop. I get misty-eyed just thinking about it."

Brunzopolis

Brunzopolis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • 05-October 11
I'm a big Led Zep fan, but it's Slash for me. Mainly just because my favorite GNR songs trump my favorite LZ songs - and Slash played lead guitar on those songs - therefore, Slash.

'Technical ability', when it comes to guitar, is imo, a largely irrelevant question. I don't care in the slightest if someone can play things that few others can; fast and complex hand positions, whatever - why does it matter? Music is about sound and how the sound makes you feel.

As far as writing/composition goes... I think the first thing to consider is that the creation of music (as with all things that are creative/artistic) is a relatively mysterious process. From Keith Richards' wikipedia page:

"Richards has frequently stated that he feels less like a creator than a conduit when writing songs: "I don't have that God aspect about it. I prefer to think of myself as an antenna. There's only one song, and Adam and Eve wrote it; the rest is a variation on a theme."

How much credit do/should we give to the person listed as "writer" in the liner notes?

Going back and tying this in with 'technical ability'...if inspiration strikes - a riff pops in your head - do you have the technical ability to play the riff or melody on a musical instrument? Yes? Then that's all that matters, really.

izzygirl

izzygirl

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 8,785 posts
  • 28-February 10
Jimmy Page. There is no any possible debate.

21km35y.jpg

No son ojos porque los ves. Son ojos porque te miran.

ZoSoRose

ZoSoRose

Shitposter Of The Year 2014

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,697 posts
  • 14-December 08
My two favorite guitarists and musicians (as well as Axl).

And as a guitar player, I can tell you that Slash has just as much technical ability as Page, and may even surpass him in certain areas. That being said, Page has my vote. Zeppelin was his band, he was the mastermind between the music and could compose, produce, and completely see a vision come to fruition. His solos can be just as good as Slash's too. Tell me Achilles Last Stand, Stairway, Heartbreaker, No Quarter, Since Ive Been Loving You, and more arent as good if not better than a lot of Slash's solos. He also came up with so many iconic riffs and mind blowing compositions like Kashmir and Ten Years Gone. As for his live playing, Page was a master at improv, jamming, and taking Zep's music to a different level. Unfortunately, drugs and sloppy technique could sometimes hinder his playing (especially in 1977). For whatever reason, his post Zeppelin work has been pretty underwhelming imo (I still really dig it, it just isnt nearly on the same caliber as Zeppelin) and Im still waiting to see him one day. :( He is the reason I love music and picked up guitar.

Slash is also incredible, and I connect with so much of his playing. Solos like the ones in Estranges, November Rain, SCOM, Coma, Locomotive's outro, and so many others just send shivers down my spine. Slash really benefited from the guys in GNR filling out his sound but I do love his post GNR work. Slash is also killer live.

I love them both, and it is close for me. But Page has my vote rock4

Edited by ZoSoRose, 03 October 2012 - 12:34 PM.

<p>Guns N' Roses- London Ontario 2010, Auburn Hills Michigan 2011, Detroit Michigan 2012 | Slash- Auburn Hills Michigan 2011, Grand Rapids Michigan 2012, Detroit Michigan 2012, Lansing Michigan 2013 | Duff McKagan- Cleveland Ohio 2012 | Rock N Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony- Cleveland Ohio 2012 | Buckethead- Detroit Michigan 2011 | Walking Papers- Clarkston Michigan 2013 | The Dead Daisies- Clarkston Michigan 2013| Met Slash, Duff, Ron, Richard, Dizzy and DJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users