Concert Films

Dazey

Guest Len B'stard

Additions to my list...

Elvis - 68 Comeback

Elvis - That's Is The Way it is.

Minus the Gospel and Guitar man crap.....

Well i thought mah ticket would sell on fire but nobody wanted to hire a guitar maan, how can you not like that man? :lol: I mean it's filmed a bit corny and that but thats part of the charm. I'm suprised you cite Thats The Way It Is Diesel, considering your feelings on the whole Vegas thing. Fuck me he's on fire there though eh? :) Little Sister, Polk Salad Annie, just rides the fuck out of em. Looked like he couldn't take Love Me Tender seriously!

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

That was early into the Vegas thing. When Presley first started playing Vegas he was in excellent shape. It is only from around, 72, where it went down hill. I still say it would have been better for Presley to tour internationally.

Agreed. I think it would've changed him too because, although i'm sure he had an inkling, you don't really get it until you're confronted with it just how popular you are all over the world until you actually put yourself out there. Christ, can you imagine a young Elvis coming to England? :D Fuck me, they ripped out seats in cinemas and went mental over films, let alone having the living breathing pulsating King of Rock n Roll in their laps. Or even Europe and all that, it would've really opened his eyes were in not for that cunt Colnel Parker. Beatlemania would've had a proper prescedent. I seriously think the history of rock n roll would've been different had Elvis toured the world, not so much in the later days but early on.

Guest Len B'stard

Dire Straits suck.

Everything you've ever written on this forum has been wrong.

I love you and everything GTF, this place wouldn't be the same without ya but dire is a pretty accurate assessment of your musical taste for as far as im aware of it, Bob Dylan being your saving grace :lol:

Dire Straits suck.

I love you and everything GTF, this place wouldn't be the same without ya but dire is a pretty accurate assessment of your musical taste for as far as im aware of it, Bob Dylan being your saving grace :lol:

The feeling is mutual, my good man.

That was early into the Vegas thing. When Presley first started playing Vegas he was in excellent shape. It is only from around, 72, where it went down hill. I still say it would have been better for Presley to tour internationally.

The manager was paranoid of getting deported. Elvis could've easily gone to Nixon and went "oh, by the way, can you help my manager out with this little issue" and would've taken care of it. People close to him said he did want to play in other countries, but Parker was dismissive of it. Maybe Elvis didn't think of it at the time, or Parker told him not to say anything, but if Nixon was looking for his help and support, why wouldn't he do Elvis that favor?

It's a good question to throw towards people in Elvis' circle that are still around.

I don't think Parker should get complete blame for Elvis' erratic behavior.

Guest Len B'stard

Why would Nixon be interested in helping out though, despite Elvises offer to be a grass for him? I don't think thats enough reason for him to go out of his way to be a fixer for Elvis. Also, i don't think they respected Elvis one iota, Nixon was a crook himself and crooks do not have respect for grasses.

Dire Straits suck.

Knopfler - great guitarist, still manages to be boring as shit

Additions to my list...

Elvis - 68 Comeback

Well i thought mah ticket would sell on fire but nobody wanted to hire a guitar maan, how can you not like that man? :lol: I mean it's filmed a bit corny and that but thats part of the charm. I'm suprised you cite Thats The Way It Is Diesel, considering your feelings on the whole Vegas thing. Fuck me he's on fire there though eh? :) Little Sister, Polk Salad Annie, just rides the fuck out of em. Looked like he couldn't take Love Me Tender seriously!

I just want my Elvis with Scotty and the boys, decked out in leather, singing the blues. Not too much to ask for is it?

Guest Len B'stard

Dire Straits suck.

Additions to my list...

Elvis - 68 Comeback

I just want my Elvis with Scotty and the boys, decked out in leather, singing the blues. Not too much to ask for is it?

Yes it is, the way you SHOULD want your Elvis is like this:

3.jpg

Dire Straits suck.

Additions to my list...

Elvis - 68 Comeback

Yes it is, the way you SHOULD want your Elvis is like this:

3.jpg

That is when Elvis was Elvis............

I wish the movie studios filmed a concert right before he went into the Army. I'm surprised they hadn't, because Parker had plans to roll out a bunch of songs Elvis recorded in those two years, even a 1 hour concert film in 1959 would've stayed in theaters for months at the time. They did "Jazz on a Summer's Day" in 1958 in color.

• 1 year later...

I watched Celebration Day (in a sort of morbid curiosity way, just to see what a bunch of old farts are like thirty years later). They were good. As a big Zep hater, I cannot really fault it except for the moment Page brought out his violin stick. So this is high praise indeed. They still have a chemistry. Page pulls weird guitar shapes; he is always pouting his lips for instance yet the guy is 70. He is great though and still has fire in his playing (Since I've Been Loving You was incredible). Plant is surprisingly youthful and his voice, virtually as good as his heyday (take note, Axl Rose). Jones, quite and musical. Jason Bonham looks like a bricklayer's mate. He looks older that Plant and Jones haha. Excellent chemistry and rapport between the four. All in all good.

It is on youtube. Watch it before Page yanks it down.

• Like 1

I saw Gimme Shelter with the Rolling Stones in the 60's along with Night of the Living Dead.

I think Linkin Park's Live in Texas was good.

Iron Maiden's Live in Brazil or whatever it's called.

Woodstock was cool for it's time 1969, but if I try to watch it now, it really annoys the hell out of me. Had some good bands, but also some annoying bands too. lol

anything GNR is cool by me.

After the recent release of the latest Stones doc I got to thinking about the best live concert films and I'd be intrigued to hear about any that I've not seen. To kick it all off I'm going to post what I think is the best concert movie I've ever seen of The Band's final concert back in the late 70's filmed by Scorsese and featuring one of the greatest lineups I've ever seen on one stage together. Not sure how to embed from this site but here's the link anyhoo.

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v191484543aM8pxdK

I thought the Last Waltz was pretty horrendous. Its very self-serious and kind of boring. That said, I do find it captivating and compelling in an odd way. Even though it came out in the mid 70's I found it emblematic of the creative demise of the 60's music scene. By the mid 70's they'd all become self-important, self-celebratory, and out of touch. I thought LW was a great document of the creative paralysis of that scene. I guess I thought it was so bad that it was great.

You don't have to like them, but The Grateful Dead Movie is outstanding. For the opening cartoon alone, it deserves praise. Again, you may not like the band, but the outcome of the film is that it makes a Grateful Dead concert look like an awesome time. It really hammers the point home about, even if you don't like them, why others really do. A really brilliant film, even if it peaks in the first 15 minutes.

I watched Celebration Day (in a sort of morbid curiosity way, just to see what a bunch of old farts are like thirty years later). They were good. As a big Zep hater, I cannot really fault it except for the moment Page brought out his violin stick. So this is high praise indeed. They still have a chemistry. Page pulls weird guitar shapes; he is always pouting his lips for instance yet the guy is 70. He is great though and still has fire in his playing (Since I've Been Loving You was incredible). Plant is surprisingly youthful and his voice, virtually as good as his heyday (take note, Axl Rose). Jones, quite and musical. Jason Bonham looks like a bricklayer's mate. He looks older that Plant and Jones haha. Excellent chemistry and rapport between the four. All in all good.

If you liked this one, than some of their 70's concerts would blow your mind. As a BIG Zep fan, it is actually hard for me to watch or listen to Celebration Day. It's good yes, but not like they used to be IMO.

If you liked this one, than some of their 70's concerts would blow your mind. As a BIG Zep fan, it is actually hard for me to watch or listen to Celebration Day. It's good yes, but not like they used to be IMO.

There's something about Jason's drumming that doesn't do it for me, he sounds too modern or something...the bass drums?

I'm not an expert or anything but it doesn't sit right with me ( big deal, I know)

Amusingly he probably used the exact same kit his dad did.