Your favorite Bob Dylan albums

GivenToFly

I have been driving to and from work listening nothing but Bob Dylan. All of his studio albums. Been fun. Too bad Dylan has never been released on CD because I have everything but that. I know it is suppose to be his worse album but to be frank, Dylan's worse is the best most artists can do.

Agreed! I think it's not the most coherent album he's made, but I do enjoy it a lot! There's supposed to be a European CD version under a slightly altered title, but I haven't ever come across it.

It bothers me that I don't have it. I hope he releases it. Maybe it will be on Bootleg Vol. 10.

I have been driving to and from work listening nothing but Bob Dylan. All of his studio albums. Been fun. Too bad Dylan has never been released on CD because I have everything but that. I know it is suppose to be his worse album but to be frank, Dylan's worse is the best most artists can do.

Agreed! I think it's not the most coherent album he's made, but I do enjoy it a lot! There's supposed to be a European CD version under a slightly altered title, but I haven't ever come across it.

It bothers me that I don't have it. I hope he releases it. Maybe it will be on Bootleg Vol. 10.

Here's a used copy of the European title with "quite a few marks," and it's only $139.95...not sure if it bothers you that much: http://www.amazon.com/Bob-Dylan-Fool-Such-As/dp/B000MAOQI0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1363718019&sr=8-2&keywords=a+fool+such+as+i

I bought New Morning today. It has got this song below from the Big Lebowski on it. This dude abides. It is a great album.

Its often overlooked compared to what came before and after.

I didn't think I could be enjoying Saved and Shot of Love. They are great albums.

His attempt to make Gallo into a hero was a bit of a stretch. It was well documented the man was a monster. Even Hurricane had some factual errors. Actually so did Lonesome Death of Hattie Carrol. Whenever Dylan writes about real life stuff he is usually getting things wrong.

Shot of Love is by far the best of the "Christian trilogy".

His attempt to make Gallo into a hero was a bit of a stretch. It was well documented the man was a monster. Even Hurricane had some factual errors. Actually so did Lonesome Death of Hattie Carrol. Whenever Dylan writes about real life stuff he is usually getting things wrong.

Who cares? Do you listen to music for the truth?

That's songwriting in a nutshell. Storytelling.

Who cares? Do you listen to music for the truth?

That's songwriting in a nutshell. Storytelling.

I wasn't complaining....

Not sure how I feel about Knocked Out Loaded. Brownsville Girl is great though. Empire Burlesque and Infidels are some of his best work after Blood on the Tracks. His 80's stuff is his least known, the albums may not be strong. I've heard bad things about Down in the Groove. Oh Mercy on the other hand is one of his best. But many of the songs are fantastic.

Heart of Mine, The Groom's Still Waiting at the Alter, In the Summertime and Every Grain of Sand are some of my favorite of his Christian stuff. Even Saved is oddly inspiring. It seems he really took his Born Again seriously.

Another favorite is Precious Angel from Slow Train Coming.

His music has been consistently great since Time out of Mind. I can't name a single artist who has been around since 1962 and is still making good music.

Not sure how I feel about Knocked Out Loaded.

I like it. He played with genres - They Killed Him is gospel, Precious memories is raeggae.

Exactly half the album is very good, the even numbered tracks. The others are still alright, but nothing to write home about. A lot of catchy stuff there.

Under Your Spell is my favorite off the album, Precious Memories close behind.

Love and Theft is awesome. Mississipi is a classic.

Agreed. The The Bootleg Series Vol. 8 has even better versions of it. ;)

Nah, they're all great but the album version is still the best. It's a true epic, the others are more understated.

I don't like Love and Theft other than Mississippi and Sugar Baby but those two songs are so good that they make the entire album worth it for me.

Down in the Groove surprised me. Especially the second half.

All in all, the 80's was a decent decade for Dylan.

Saved

Shot of Love

Infidels

Empire Burlesque

Knocked Out Loaded

Down in the Groove

Oh Mercy

Oh Mercy is probably the most accessible album thanks to the production by Daniel Lanios (Joshua Tree) who went on to do Time Out of Mind. It was also the album were his new choice becomes more noticeable. Infidels and Burlesque are equally great albums even if they are dated from the polished 80's production but they were solid albums. All the other ones have several good songs. I actually think the 80's was just as good as the 70's.

Blood on the Tracks remains my favorite overall. Certainly not his.

• 1 year later...

I decided recently to give a chance to Dylan albums that I had never listened to (the Christian trilogy) or just heard once or twice years ago and dismissed them (country albums).

I know there are many who like John Wesley Harding and Nashville Skyline but personally i thought they were crap. And he does this almost parody-like country voice that just sounds off. By contrast I quite liked Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid. It makes sense though, being 13 years removed from the other two. Out of the six it's the only that stuck with me.

The religious albums are predictably bad overall but they were improving. The first one (Slow Train Coming) is downright awful, the second gets better and actually has some pretty good moments, and the third one (Shot of Love) is passable.

While I'm in this thread: is it just me or is his harmonica work on the early albums terrible? I always find it a chore to get through those solos and when i hear them on headphones I feel like my eardrum is being pierced.

I decided recently to give a chance to Dylan albums that I had never listened to (the Christian trilogy) or just heard once or twice years ago and dismissed them (country albums).

I know there are many who like John Wesley Harding and Nashville Skyline but personally i thought they were crap. And he does this almost parody-like country voice that just sounds off. By contrast I quite liked Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid. It makes sense though, being 13 years removed from the other two. Out of the six it's the only that stuck with me.

The religious albums are predictably bad overall but they were improving. The first one (Slow Train Coming) is downright awful, the second gets better and actually has some pretty good moments, and the third one (Shot of Love) is passable.

While I'm in this thread: is it just me or is his harmonica work on the early albums terrible? I always find it a chore to get through those solos and when i hear them on headphones I feel like my eardrum is being pierced.

He does a parody of a country voice on John Wesley Harding, really?