Worst famous guitar player?

Haters Gonna Hate

Naming Keith Richards or Jimi Hendrix in this thread is a sin in the eyes of the mighty guitar Gods will one day smite you for it.

It's pretty odd to see Hendrix's name involved anywhere near something like this.

BUT, he could be just awful live. There's bootlegs and even official releases where he sounds just terrible in concert. It certainly makes you question the tag of "greatest ever". Greatest ever what? because it certainly isn't live act.

Greatest innovator who, through his guitar, unlocked the power, sexual magnetism and imagination that was clearly the stepping stone of where approach to the instrument could (and would) go.

He drew up the blueprints for the next decade and beyond.

He might have had some off gigs (who doesn't?) but he still makes the lists of some of the greatest live performances ever.

Pete Townshend hands down, unless you guys consider those metal dudes famous like Dave Mustane or Iron Maiden or Run To The Hills, then in that case them.

Are you kidding? Mustaine (although a complete dick) is a fucking excellent guitarist. Maiden guys aren't bad either.

EDIT: Okay just skimmed the thread:

Correctly overrated:

Richards

White

Perry

DeVille

Cobain (slightly debatable)

Everyone else mentioned, is actually really good.

Edited by OmarBradley

Naming Keith Richards or Jimi Hendrix in this thread is a sin in the eyes of the mighty guitar Gods will one day smite you for it.

It's pretty odd to see Hendrix's name involved anywhere near something like this.

BUT, he could be just awful live. There's bootlegs and even official releases where he sounds just terrible in concert. It certainly makes you question the tag of "greatest ever". Greatest ever what? because it certainly isn't live act.

Greatest innovator who, through his guitar, unlocked the power, sexual magnetism and imagination that was clearly the stepping stone of where approach to the instrument could (and would) go.

He drew up the blueprints for the next decade and beyond.

He might have had some off gigs (who doesn't?) but he still makes the lists of some of the greatest live performances ever.

This is pretty much it. This is the side of Keith that matters and his claim to fame. The man embodies rock and roll. He breathes it. Off stage and on. When I saw them in 2007 he fucked up the intro to Paint It Black (possibly my favourite Stones song). And it's ok because he's Keith fucking Richards and he's the embodiment of rock guitar. Despite every shortcoming he might have.

I say this while listening to The Brussels Affair... :wub:

I think we have the answer

:lol:

Let's be realistic though. These aren't famous guitar players. They're people who can't play guitar but pick one up anyway just to try and look cool.

DJ Ashba is another example of this... -_-

Dimebag and Hendrix should never have been muttered in this thread. Sorry P5, but anyone who played the guitar upside down(even if it were strung in reverse...allowed him to use characteristic techniques such as fretting bass notes with his thumb) whilst tripping balls deep on acid and on copious amounts of other substances the way he did, live, and in studio.... well... let's just say, he revolutionized a sound that will live on forever. Unmistakable when you hear Hendrix on guitar. Legend.

• Like 4

I don't know what's worse. Lil' Wayne's playing or the fact people cheer him on.

Joe Perry gets my vote. I was going to say Slash, but I realize he came at the tail end of guitar rock where sleazy and sloppy solos were the way to go. Now if you put a guitar solo in a song for more than 7 seconds, it is considered cheesy.

Honestly, as much as I love Nirvana, definitely Kurt Cobain in terms of actual technique and playing.

Kurts guitar playing was what it was on purpose, he played like he did to serve the music. The way to look at it is this, do you think someone with a different technique would serve those songs better?

I was kinda afraid this would come up, but I never said that his playing didn't serve the songs. In fact, I love his style and think it fits Nirvana perfectly - no one else could've played those songs just the way he did. But purely in terms of his actual skill level, and being a famous guitarist, I think he perfectly fits the criteria of the thread.

Dimebag and Hendrix should never have been muttered in this thread. Sorry P5, but anyone who played the guitar upside down(even if it were strung in reverse...allowed him to use characteristic techniques such as fretting bass notes with his thumb) whilst tripping balls deep on acid and on copious amounts of other substances the way he did, live, and in studio.... well... let's just say, he revolutionized a sound that will live on forever. Unmistakable when you hear Hendrix on guitar. Legend.

I couldn't agree more about Hendrix. But I really never got what made Dime special. Never did anything for me personally. And I also think he's been made out to be way more than he was due to his tragic and untimely death. I'm not saying the man is shit. But I don't see why he should be in a greatest guitarist top 10 (or 20) either. Always felt he was overrated.

But I'm sure some will say the same about Jimi.

Only difference being that they're wrong. :max:

Edited by username
  • Like 1

Fuck Townshend and Mustaine, they have never created anything interesting with their set of skills.

......wrong. Just so wrong.

Me thinks (I hope) he was being sarcastic.

I couldn't agree more about Hendrix. But I really never got what made Dime special. Never did anything for me personally. And I also think he's been made out to be way more than he was due to his tragic and untimely death. I'm not saying the man is shit. But I don't see why he should be in a greatest guitarist top 10 (or 20) either. Always felt he was overrated.

But I'm sure some will say the same about Jimi.

Only difference being that they're wrong. :max:

Dimes all about them riffs.