Wrestling Thread Vol. 3

ssiscool

I think it makes sense for everyone involved to be honest. Summerslam and UFC 200 benefit from it, WWE benefit if Lesnar wins, and it won't take much work for them to redeem him if he loses (not that they'll mention it).  Lesnar returns at Summerslam having lost, heel pokes fun at it, Lesnar destroys said heel and countless other people over the next few weeks, enters feud with someone credible who he can't manage to instantly murder. 

Here's some amusing stats that I copied/pasted from the Observer.

These are the most wins/losses in 2015 including House Shows (I only copied results of people with over 100 of either)

WINS

Roman Reigns 192/219
Dean Ambrose 150 /217
Ryback 137/170
Neville 130/190
John Cena 126/136
Sin Cara 115/162
Dolph Ziggler 115/168
Cesaro 115/185
Charlotte 108/146
Kalisto 107/162
Finn Balor 106/128

LOSSES

Konnor 143/162
Viktor 143/162
Adam Rose 140/149
Bo Dallas 140/156
Bray Wyatt 132/162
Heath Slater 129/130
Seth Rollins 124/176
Luke Harper 119/181
King Barrett 118/161
The Miz 113/131
Stardust 110/148    
Tyler Breeze 103/149

Now sure, you should take into account the crowd being sent home happy and who's a face/heel. That said keep in mind... that Bray keeps getting positioned as a threat and Seth was a long reigning champion.

-edit-

Lesnar's facing Mark Hunt as per the rumors a few days ago.

Alot of people don't fancy Lesnar's chances.

Edited by AtariLegend

Unless we're getting Balor-ed by one or both of them, we should get Boss and Bray sightings tonight.

Worth noting bray's profile picture - him under a ladder. WWE have been pretty cryptic about what's going on with the 7th MITB spot, and Bray/Roman is always dynamite...

The NY state fight commission just confirmed something that was brought up by Meltzer after the announcement.

Lesnar would have to undergo a fitness exam after his fight, to determine whether he's allowed to be used by WWE in NY. If he get's knocked out, their's also a certain amount of days where you're not allowed to have physical contact afterwards... which would probably be including Wrestling. 

In other words unless Lesnar crushes Hunt in 1 round, their's a good chance he won't be at SummerSlam.

Also Punk's first fight might be at UFC 202 the night before SummerSlam where it's rumored SummerSlam will get plugged by UFC. So just imagine the replay of Punk getting knocked out in his first fight, brought to you by WWE SummerSlam.

Edited by AtariLegend
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AtariLegend said:

Also Punk's first fight might be at UFC 202 the night before SummerSlam where it's rumored SummerSlam will get plugged by UFC. So just imagine the replay of Punk getting knocked out in his first fight, brought to you by WWE SummerSlam.

I'm loving it. Haha. 

Also loving the aj styles promo on Cena. Love that he even mentioned Cena' S shovel for burials. 

I got as far as the Cena/Styles segment on my train ride this morning. Holy shit, Cena called them the Bullet Club!!!!! Also, even if Cena wins the feud (inevitably), he's putting AJ over big. Comparing him to The Rock? That's huge.

• Like 1

Best gimmick in Pro Wrestling btw.

I seen the video of the A.J./Cena promos. It's funny seeing A.J. talk about selling out Japan, because last year they tried to make it look like Balor was on the same level as Tanahashi or Okada when he was in NJPW.

Thus proving AJ's point, especially when Cena says (paraphrasing) "AJ lost to Reigns, but thinks he can beat Cena?" Nice drive-by hit on Reigns. Anyway, nothing Cena said matched AJ's "bury" comment. Cena was talking kayfabe and AJ, with that comment, crossed into shoot territory. And a shoot comment is always > a kayfabe comment, IMO.

• Like 1

Yeah, Cena's comments were true. I don't think that's necessarily Styles' fault though. He has put on consistently good, entertaining matches since arriving. The booking hasn't done him any favors, but that's almost to be expected now. I'm surprised when Creative actually gets a program right these days.

For the record, I like Cena a lot and think the product is better with him. I'll always respect him for gutting out the match where Rollins shattered his nose. I'm not part of the "Cena sucks" brigade, but his character is just so stale.

Edited by The_Original_RK
  • Like 1

On June 7, 2016 at 8:46 AM, axlslash said:

I got as far as the Cena/Styles segment on my train ride this morning. Holy shit, Cena called them the Bullet Club!!!!! Also, even if Cena wins the feud (inevitably), he's putting AJ over big. Comparing him to The Rock? That's huge.

No, he called them the "pull it" club, implying they're jerkoffs. 

• Like 1

I also really enjoyed that AJ is bordering on accusing Cena of the very same thing Cena accused the Rock of, letting wrestling be secondary to Hollywood and tv. A nice wink and nod to the smarks. This feud is going to be spectacular, and it's going to be the start of what will ultimately be AJ's build to the title. Hate that he got fed to Roman, but Cena is a guy that can actually get AJ over in ways even beating Roman wouldn't have.

A.J.'s best match (Jan 4th before he joined WWE) this year funnily enough was a loss too, on the other hand A.J. had most of the best matches of his career in 2 years at NJPW yet you guys probably haven't seen most of those matches and associate him with being a TNA guy (despite that he was booked as being a lesser star than former WWE guys for the 2nd of his run there).

Edited by AtariLegend

Takeover was alright

Asuka looks a lot more brutal while Nia Jax is looking like your average Big Show type
Finn vs Joe was fairly predictable since Finn will likely be called up with the brand split

I think we'll get Balor Club now before SummerSlam.

I'll also go out on the limb and say Nakamura vs Joe will be the best WWE banner match of 2016 at Takeover Brooklyn. I'd guess Bayley's last developmental match too against KANA.

It'd be great if they had Kota Ibushi on the show too, but that's probably pushing it.

Edited by AtariLegend