Dont you feel that next album could be their last oportunity?

Their last chance for fame was in 2006 when they were still touring and making news and rock was very much alive. If they released the antiquiet versions of the title track (brains drums and only axls lower register), Better, and TIL as singles, I think they could have made nuGNR known as a good band to the general public. Maybe even TWAT with way less instruments and shit and a no compression on his vocals at the 2nd half (its way too noisy/cluttered, it sounds oddly confined)

Maybe it's just me, but I remember the Antiquiet leaks sounding very incomplete, to the point where I went "Oh no," but sighed relief when they actually came out since they were fleshed out more. "Prostitute" is the one I'm mostly thinking of.

No, it's not just you. The leaks are inferior to the album version. The sound quality is shit too and many things are missing to make it sound finished.

The Catcher demo did have something special about it. Axl went with a very different version. Other then that, the album version sounds great to my ears. I do miss Robin's prolonged last note of his There Was A Time solo in the middle of the song and a few other little cool things from other songs that didn't make the cut.

And as long as the band existed he was full of plans, dreams, he had that fire in him to explore himself artistically, to develop, to grow, to make the band bigger and better with every album and tour. As he said in 92: "The bottom line is nothing can come between me and Slash and as long as we have that bond we have Guns N Roses" . And there you go - they don't have that bond and practically speaking there is no Guns N Roses.

So true, good post.

Yep.

It's a shame that GNR two last releases will be subpar products that don't do justice to the real band's legacy. Chinese Democracy and Appetite for Democracy clearly show how badly Axl needs Slash to create something good.

Chinese Democracy itself is pretty bad but the Appetite for Democracy is on its own level of mediocrity. Thankfully, the only albums people will remember and pay attention to are AFD and UYI.

Edited by maynard

It's a shame that GNR two last releases will be subpar products that don't do justice to the real band's legacy. Chinese Democracy and Appetite for Democracy clearly show how badly Axl needs Slash to create something good.

Chinese Democracy itself is pretty bad but the Appetite for Democracy is on its own level of mediocrity. Thankfully, the only albums people will remember and pay attention to are AFD and UYI.

Even if the band had quit entirely in the mid 90s, the last thing they would have put out was the decidedly mediocre Spaghetti Incident. Oh, and the 2 mediocre UYI VHS releases. So what's the difference?

I'm with you on AFD by the way, even though I really like CD, if you think it sucks hopefully you at least see the album sucks while trying to be something somewhat different. AFD sucks at trying to be the same.

Edited by tomfriend

It's a pity things didn't come together more in 2006, and that CD wasn't released then. Axl was in good form, he was getting out and about, the music community seemed to be welcoming him back and the general public was actually taking notice of what he was doing.

Edited by stella

With a voice like Axl's anything is possible. But he needs to get in shape and realize that's essential to his success. In 2006 he looked awesome, now he looks washed up. Sad to see and it really pisses me off that he's surrounded himself with people who would let him get this way. 90 days of P90x is what he needs.

With the band members changing or leaving, how can GNR put out any more albums?

CD was written by Axl and members who are no longer with GNR.

Now it seems most of the current members are doing other projects. How can you write or record new music, when the band members aren't available.

If a new cd is released, Axl should make it a solo cd unless a current band member/members have contributed to the new album. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense.

I'm beginning to think, those current members are just a backup band and Axl is really GNR. So it would make sense for Axl if he does release any new music to put it out as a solo album. I bet it would sell more too.

With the band members changing or leaving, how can GNR put out any more albums?

CD was written by Axl and members who are no longer with GNR.

Now it seems most of the current members are doing other projects. How can you write or record new music, when the band members aren't available.

If a new cd is released, Axl should make it a solo cd unless a current band member/members have contributed to the new album. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense.

I'm beginning to think, those current members are just a backup band and Axl is really GNR. So it would make sense for Axl if he does release any new music to put it out as a solo album. I bet it would sell more too.

"I'm beginning to think, those current members are just a backup band and Axl is really GNR. So it would make sense for Axl if he does release any new music to put it out as a solo album. I bet it would sell more too."

Oh. Oh, sweetie. That's just...I'm sorry.

Next album must be with Slash and Izzy.

There's no next album. Chinese Democracy is the last album Axl will ever release. Only ignorant fanatics still believe Axl could leave his comfort zone and release whatever he has ready in the vault (which is nothing).

Edited by maynard

Next album must be with Slash and Izzy.

There's no next album. Chinese Democracy is the last album Axl will ever release. Only ignorant fanatics still believe Axl could leave his comfort zone and release whatever he has ready in the vault (which is nothing).
How do you know all of this? Bumble, tommy, brain, and many other people have said they've worked on 30 songs at least.

Josh freese said he wrote aaa songs that are still unreleased. Robin said some of his favorite guitars moments in guns are not even on Chinese.

There is at least a chance axl will release the rest of Chinese in the near future.

Edited by Rovim

Regardless of how well CDII is received, if it happens, that'll probably be it. So I don't think the next album should be
viewed as an opportunity of any sort. It's not going to be something that propels Axl to release more music. But yeah, 06 was
the last opportunity for Axl to really shift the perception of NuGnR. If you asked 100 random people about GnR these days,

I would say maybe 5-10 would actually know that the band is still even a thing, and the majority of those would probably be
because they saw articles ridiculing yellow raincoat Axl. What's sad is that it wouldn't take a whole helluva lot to change
this perception. But given GnR's current status ( er stasis ), it's probably for the best that people don't know they're still around.

Edited by jbhutto

No, I don't. He makes his money off of touring and he has to realize that he's exhausted the GN'R catalog as the setlist stands. There are no other hits to incorporate, so new material is a necessity.

I think he's completely comfortable w/ CD2, by the way. Why else would he state it's complete and post pictures from production in the studio?

I hope that they embrace the digital era soon. Make CD2 the last full disc, then start putting out single songs and/or EPs.

No, I don't. He makes his money off of touring and he has to realize that he's exhausted the GN'R catalog as the setlist stands. There are no other hits to incorporate, so new material is a necessity.

I think he's completely comfortable w/ CD2, by the way. Why else would he state it's complete and post pictures from production in the studio?

I hope that they embrace the digital era soon. Make CD2 the last full disc, then start putting out single songs and/or EPs.

Pretty tied up,perfect crime,coma,Dust n bones........and many other UYI hits.

It just depends on what Axl wants to do.

Better, sod, twat, catcher....all great songs.

If Axl had released stripped down versions of albums at the same "quality level" of CD in 01, 04, 07, 10 and 2013.......then Axl and GnR would be the biggest rock band in the world today.

CD is a strong album. A less tinkered with CD is the rock album of the year.

But just CD over a 15 year period? It wasnt good enough to "carry" 15 years of a band. But five CDs? Oh yes. That would have put GnR back at number one.

• Like 2

If Axl had released stripped down versions of albums at the same "quality level" of CD in 01, 04, 07, 10 and 2013.......then Axl and GnR would be the biggest rock band in the world today.

But just CD over a 15 year period? It wasnt good enough to "carry" 15 years of a band. But five CDs? Oh yes. That would have put GnR back at number one.

You know with Gn'R, it's kinda different though. If Axl was the total opposite of how he is and was prolific as an artist, but still trying to continue Guns without Slash, it would still not do as well imo compared to how the public would have viewed it with Slash still in the band or at least somewhat involved.

The emotional attachment to what Slash brought to Guns is really strong. He brought so much to the band, it's understandable.

But yeah, it could have been much better and accepted with 5 albums instead of one, and if Axl would have just released Chinese in 1999 and toured it right away, and used the momentum to always be active, maybe things would have looked different for him and his new Guns.

But never as accepted as the classic line up. Maybe if he went solo he could have started fresh and maybe reach Ozzy levels of success. We'll never know. The kind of chemistry Axl had with Izzy, Slash, and Duff doesn't come along very often. Hard to match that.

Edited by Rovim

You know with Gn'R, it's kinda different though. If Axl was the total opposite of how he is and was prolific as an artist, but still trying to continue Guns without Slash, it would still not do as well imo compared to how the public would have viewed it with Slash still in the band or at least somewhat involved.

The emotional attachment to what Slash brought to Guns is really strong. He brought so much to the band, it's understandable.

But yeah, it could have been much better and accepted with 5 albums instead of one, and if Axl would have just released Chinese in 1999 and toured it right away, and used the momentum to always be active, maybe things would have looked different for him and his new Guns.

But never as accepted as the classic line up. Maybe if he went solo he could have started fresh and maybe reach Ozzy levels of success. We'll never know. The kind of chemistry Axl had with Izzy, Slash, and Duff doesn't come along very often. Hard to match that.

Yeah, as much as I like nuGuns, I have to think we'd have more music if Axl went solo. Band members would've stuck around longer and Axl's life would've been a hell of a lot easier.

Don't need really a new album now we can listen new things, him can't play new songs in concerts? Dizzy and Ashba always say in interviews "can happen a unhoped in this show" "we never know what gonna happen on stage" and is always even setlist for last 5 years! What is so difficult in play new songs live?

I admire your enthusiasm Groghan but production was not the only problem with ChiDems' acceptance. It was released 7 years too late. Had no radio friendly hooks which is why it got almost zero radio play. IMHO nothing could have been done to make that album a success as that style of music was dead by the time it was released.

If anyone thinks the Chinese leftovers are going to suddenly take the world by storm they are dreaming. As Axl basically said, If you didn't like ChiDem you won't like the next album release of more of the same.