The Who

Snake-Pit

I saw The Who in 1973 at Madison Square Garden in NYC.

the only thing I remember about this show is how Keith Moon destroyed his drums and Pete Townsend destroying his guitar.

I just know they were awesome. Roger Daltry had one of the best voices in rock back then.

SEE RIGHT THROUGH WANKERS MAC, I LOOK PRETTY WHITE, MY DAD IS BLACK, MOHAIR SUIT MADE OUT OF SACK! :lol:

He sounds fucking feral when sings that bit!

The Who are often overlooked in terms of what a FUCKING fantastic songwriter Pete was. Even before he went all Opera, the genius just the singles ones, Pictures of Lily, an ode to Lily Bayliss and wanking, I'm A Boy (my name is Bill and I'm a headcase! love that lyric), fuck me, must've took some nerve to write that as a West London lad in the 60s, Substitute, beautiful lyrics, even the tortured simplicity of I Can't Explain.

Straight up 10 out of 10 band. Unfalteringly majestic.

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

The Who are often overlooked in terms of what a FUCKING fantastic songwriter Pete was.

[/quote

That's not even remotely true. If anything, he's overlooked as a guitarist because of the focus on his songwriting role and skills.

I meant to say early songwriting is somewhat overlooked, in favour of a lot of the rock opera stuff, hence my citing a lot of the early singles, apologies. But there are those who slag off his songwriting immensely too, you dont get praise from all quarters for rock operas and that sort of thing and later deeply confessional works, whereas singles like I'm A Boy and stuff like that have not really gotten the same attention.

There are even those who would call him a shit Ray Davies.

I meant to say early songwriting is somewhat overlooked, in favour of a lot of the rock opera stuff, hence my citing a lot of the early singles, apologies.

I'd say that's perfectly justified. Whos Next and Quadrophenia are in a completely different class from the early stuff. To my ears at least.

I meant to say early songwriting is somewhat overlooked, in favour of a lot of the rock opera stuff, hence my citing a lot of the early singles, apologies.

I'd say that's perfectly justified. Whos Next and Quadrophenia are in a completely different class from the early stuff. To my ears at least.

Be that as it may what i was trying to highlight, rather craply :lol:, was that there was a lot going on in those early songs in that they weren't just bullshit pop songwriting, as well as some quite daring thing touched upon thematically. Who's Next and Quadrophenia are fantastic, I agree with you. I like the early stuff better but I almost don't like saying that because it almost sounds like a criticism of the later stuff and I'd hate that to appear to be what I'm saying.

Y'know what i thinks quite good and kinda overlooked? The Who by Numbers. It's a bit of a rough listen at times cuz it's just so personal but it's generally a very good album i think. Also it gave us a chance to hear Moon unlocked a little. I mean he flourished under the whole rock opera thing but he was also a lot more defined and directed than what he liked and you can kinda hear him let loose on this album. I really like However Much I Booze, Squeeze Box too.

Edited by Len B'stard

What i love most about them is the whole Maximum RnB thing, where there roots were, all those soul and motown covers they made their bones on, fantastic stuff...and such a different take on it all, Moonies drumming is just so contrary to how those songs should be drummed but then in a way it was in the same vein too, bouncey left hand kinda stuff, so wonderfully original, i wish i could find more stuff akin to that railway hotel clip that was found a few years back where they are playing gotta dance to keep from crying etc, id LOVE to hear more, or even see what their setlists at the time were.

Maximum RnB indeed, pure rock n roll :). The nerve of these little shrimps to try and cover James Brown...and yknow what they actually did it justice...but by making them their own, they even tampered with the set up of Please Please Please at the chorus, i mean the nerve :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

GOOD MORNING WANKERS! :lol:

I love you so much Keith Moon, wherever you are! (Golders Green Crematorium). He used to work for British Gypsum as a kid. Building suppliers for those who don't know. Pulled some massive fuckin' prank apparently, before leaving.

Edited by Len B'stard

An old aqquaintance of mine used to go see em when they came to Watford. They would play at the Trade Union Hall and all these mods'd go down and bang out french blues, get whizzin' and just go fuckin' mental. Even in them days people remember Moon just being a fuckin' star. The old guy who runs the music shop in town Stan (oldest music shop in town no less, PROPER aincent, it's lovely going in it cuz it's exactly like it was inside like 60 plus years ago, it's been there some ridiculous amount of time) said The Who used to come in, before they were The Who and look at instruments and such. I asked him what they were like and he said just very quiet boys :lol: Just like young lads. My old aqquaintance actually still has their original record from when they were called The High Numbers.

Living in the south east as i do and like, right around The Who's gigging territory, Hatfield, Watford, Harrow...then onto London, West London etc, so like, when you meet older people into music you more often than not meet people who have these crazy Keith Moon stories to tell, it's so cool. Like, to be remembered for being a laugh, thats a worthwhile life to me, just leaving people with fond stories of you to tell.

THAT is The Who :)

Quadrophenia is their masterpiece really, it works on SOOOO many different levels and is just such a perfect creation. In terms of contribution to the lore of our culture, one could argue no one has a bigger one than The Who, simply for how Quadrophenia, not just as an album but as a tale, has become such a monolithic staple and cultural statement, it really is fantastic.

If you were to really dip, in detail, to that album and pick it to bits there is SO much going on there. The photography in the sleeve is just fantastic and ties the tale together so brilliantly, for example that was picture outside the Hammersmith Palais and The Who are like...in their 70s pomp getting into a limo...and then to the far right of the picture there's Jimmy in all his mod kit, off the curb, kinda in the gutter almost, looking up at them...it says EVERYTHING about Quadrophenia in one picture.

At it's heart i think it's Pete Townshend looking at what they've all become and perhaps not being pleased with what he sees. I mean the story is basically about the betrayal of the promises of the first youth cultures, it's about discovering cynicism, it's actually a really dark album and for that reason i find it hard to listen to a lot. If Tommy was the story of the birth of that generation, the post war kids that played in bombed out buildings then Quadrophenia is about eventually having to find meaning in the culture that they created for themselves.

I've often wondered who it all makes sense for non English people cuz it's extremely culturally specific, although i guess the broader themes are universal. But there's SOOOO much to the nuances, i think it's one of the greatest albums ever made.

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 2