Del James

You know, I've never met Del, I only know what I have read and heard here and elsewhere over the years. However, he seems to be the one friend from the old days who has hung in with Axl, hasn't left (and I'm not making any judgments on those who did leave; every friendship and work partnership has a different shelf life) and has always been there to support him. I remember reading an article back in the day, right around the time GnR was making it big. They quoted Danny Sugerman and he said something along the lines that Del loved Axl the way he (Danny) had loved Jim Morrison. I have no love at all for TB, but with Del, I have a feeling that he's far more friend than leech and would donate a kidney to Axl if he needed it.

• Like 2

Del is a true friend. Too bad most GNR fans see a friend as a leach. What is so damn bad about giving a job that requires a trusting person, to a good friend.

I loved reading Del's interviews back in the day. For those of you that don't know. He was Editor of RIP Mag.

I found his book a great read. No it wasn't the best book written but it was a blast too read. And I have read it several times over the years. It would make a great horror B Flick!!

Frankly I think if it wasn't for people like Del in Axl's life, Axl wouldn't be here anymore.

Thanks Del!

Tour Manager. Lol.

Laughing at me or that he was the tour manager?

He was "Official" band biographer.

Now! that's a title :P

That he was Tour Manager. And just Del in general.

He is a strange character alright. I always find it funny in pictures with Axl how he's dressed in backwards hats, beard and long hair just like Axl, monkey see, monkey do maybe or it's complete coincidence and he doesn't think he's a famous rockstar too.

I remember those photos - I always thought that he and Axl had just decided to be twins for the day or something, because in all of the photos before and after that, he's certainly not imitating Axl. In the 80s he looked like any other rocker and now he and Axl are certainly not following the same style...

Post0163-AxlRoseDelJamesMarquee1987.jpg

IMG_0037.JPG

I'm not saying he does it now, I'm sure he was impressed by axl and maybe unintentionally imitated him.

Del is a true friend. Too bad most GNR fans see a friend as a leach. What is so damn bad about giving a job that requires a trusting person, to a good friend.

I loved reading Del's interviews back in the day. For those of you that don't know. He was Editor of RIP Mag.

I found his book a great read. No it wasn't the best book written but it was a blast too read. And I have read it several times over the years. It would make a great horror B Flick!!

Frankly I think if it wasn't for people like Del in Axl's life, Axl wouldn't be here anymore.

Thanks Del!

I wasn't trying to call him a leech. I was just interested in what he actually did, and I made an observation about Photo's I've seen where he's posing like a Rockstar with Axl.

Also, editor at RIP magazine, fine... but who gave him the reference? nearly guarantee that Axl made that phone call. There's nothing wrong with helping your friends out. I would guess that Del is more friend than leech too, but I would also say that he knows that he has a great thing with Axl, so the times where Axl may have pissed him off royally he just let it go to preserve the relationship and his livelihood. Sorry, but when you mix business with friendship somethings gotta give, there's no way he's giving Axl the whole truth because he definitely wouldn't still be employed if he was... lets call them white lies, but lies none the less.

The Garden and Yesterdays were written by Axl, Arkeen, James and McCloud, so how much did each contribute or form of the structure and lyrics? The Yesterdays solo is pretty iconic. It'd be interesting how exact it is to the original composition since the guys in the actual band played on it, wonder how it went down with Slash, Sorum and Duff or whether they were cool with it or trynna appease Axl. I know nothing about how close they all were with the outsiders and whatnot. I know Arkeen contributed to other tracks like It's So Easy, Bad Obsession and Crash Diet so he'd obviously been in the 'circle' for a while.

Just read Arkeen played acoustic on The Garden, this guy at least played on a record. He died of a drug overdose apparently (rip).

Also read James co-wrote songs with thrashers Testament, can only assume it's lyrical contributions unless he is a serious riffer on the axe. ("So Many Lies", "Return to Serenity", "The Ritual", "Dog Faced Gods", "Eyes of Wrath", "3 Days in Darkness", "Careful What You Wish For", "Sewn Shut Eyes", and "Dark Roots of Earth")

Edited by RandallFlagg

The story of Axl talking to a fan at an afterparty and Del trying to pull Axl away bugged me. Axl apparently kept telling Del he'd be there in a minute and eventually told him to just back off.

Admittedly he's likely just trying to protect his friend and doesn't want Axl to say stuff that will get on the boards, cause problems etc. But there's a part of me that just thinks 'Who do you think you are, sunshine? Leave the rock star alone to talk to his fans. In fact, go to the bar and get the fan a drink.'

He was also apparently in the clique with Tommy that bullied Bucket and tried to run him out of the band and for that, if it's true, he is a douche.

Here's what separates Del from TB in mind:

When Slash left in 1996 and Duff left in '97, Del had a choice. He had been friends with all of them since literally the beginning--since the band was in it's 1985 Hellhouse days. He chose to stick with Guns even in that time when they weren't the safest house to bet on. Yeah they were talented but also were one of countless bands in LA; It wasn't guaranteed they'd survive past next week much less get to the astounding level of success they did. Del was there from the beginning and seemed to believe in the band when probably a lot of other people didn't. In '96/97 he had a choice. He could either stick with Slash and Duff, who were safer bets as friends (in that Slash and Duff at least have the rep of being easier to deal with/more stable), or to take the more unsafe bet with Axl. You have to remember in 1996, maybe Axl didn't even know if he wanted to continue with Guns after Slash departed. A lot was up in the air. But Del made his choice and chose a guy who'd always been nicer to him purely as a friend than Slash or Duff might've been.

TB is a different story. They entered Axl's life as employees in 1991/1992 right as he was the biggest star in the world. Maybe in Axl's view they have helped him through personal times, but their relationship with Axl has been nothing but increasingly lucrative for them as time has gone on. I really doubt in 1985/1986 Del was gaining anything of value being friends with an up-and-coming band who were basically homeless and broke...But he was friends with them anyway. I don't think Beta would've stuck around Axl when he was homeless and living in a rathole to survive.

• Like 1

The story of Axl talking to a fan at an afterparty and Del trying to pull Axl away bugged me. Axl apparently kept telling Del he'd be there in a minute and eventually told him to just back off.

Admittedly he's likely just trying to protect his friend and doesn't want Axl to say stuff that will get on the boards, cause problems etc. But there's a part of me that just thinks 'Who do you think you are, sunshine? Leave the rock star alone to talk to his fans. In fact, go to the bar and get the fan a drink.'

He was also apparently in the clique with Tommy that bullied Bucket and tried to run him out of the band and for that, if it's true, he is a douche.

If the thing about bullying Bucket is true, it's definitely douchey. I wonder why he would have been a part of that, though.

For pulling Axl away...he has been the tour manager and he seems to be generally cool about interacting with fans (and leaving Axl to do that) so I would wonder if there was something Axl actually *needed* to do or take care of at that moment. I remember reading another story here about how TB was trying to get Axl away from the fans at some hotel, and Axl was ignoring them...and they were actually trying to get him to a flight. Again, no love for TB, but since Axl isn't the most punctual, they were trying to keep him on track in that particular instance. Could this thing with Del have been the same?

Here's what separates Del from TB in mind:

When Slash left in 1996 and Duff left in '97, Del had a choice. He had been friends with all of them since literally the beginning--since the band was in it's 1985 Hellhouse days. He chose to stick with Guns even in that time when they weren't the safest house to bet on. Yeah they were talented but also were one of countless bands in LA; It wasn't guaranteed they'd survive past next week much less get to the astounding level of success they did. Del was there from the beginning and seemed to believe in the band when probably a lot of other people didn't. In '96/97 he had a choice. He could either stick with Slash and Duff, who were safer bets as friends (in that Slash and Duff at least have the rep of being easier to deal with/more stable), or to take the more unsafe bet with Axl. You have to remember in 1996, maybe Axl didn't even know if he wanted to continue with Guns after Slash departed. A lot was up in the air. But Del made his choice and chose a guy who'd always been nicer to him purely as a friend than Slash or Duff might've been.

TB is a different story. They entered Axl's life as employees in 1991/1992 right as he was the biggest star in the world. Maybe in Axl's view they have helped him through personal times, but their relationship with Axl has been nothing but increasingly lucrative for them as time has gone on. I really doubt in 1985/1986 Del was gaining anything of value being friends with an up-and-coming band who were basically homeless and broke...But he was friends with them anyway. I don't think Beta would've stuck around Axl when he was homeless and living in a rathole to survive.

I remember an interview where he stated a big part of his loyalty to Axl is because he bailed him out after he'd virtually bankrupted himself with fast living. He went to Slash and Duff first who turned him down. Probably made the 96 decision fairly easy to make. I think they probably are good friends, you couldn't not be after all these years but I'm sure he does let stuff slide to maintain the status quo. Having said that, I let stuff go with friends I've had for years because they're good friends and I value them.

• Like 1

If the thing about bullying Bucket is true, it's definitely douchey. I wonder why he would have been a part of that, though.

For pulling Axl away...he has been the tour manager and he seems to be generally cool about interacting with fans (and leaving Axl to do that) so I would wonder if there was something Axl actually *needed* to do or take care of at that moment. I remember reading another story here about how TB was trying to get Axl away from the fans at some hotel, and Axl was ignoring them...and they were actually trying to get him to a flight. Again, no love for TB, but since Axl isn't the most punctual, they were trying to keep him on track in that particular instance. Could this thing with Del have been the same?

The gist of the story as very specifically that Del was trying to stop Axl talking to the fan about Guns business, not that he needed to be somewhere.

The Bucket bullying has been talked about by a few people over the years. It was partly that people liked Robin and when he came back, didn't feel there was a need for 3 players; partly jealousy of his ability and substantial contributions to the songs and partly personality clashes. Del and Tommy seem like pretty ordinary, macho, blokey-blokes and they didn't like or want to get on with this 'weirdo.'

It's one thing for band members to be dicks in that way (and I personally wish Axl had started a new band with Bucket, Robin and Brain and gotten someone far more talented than Stinson who actually liked old Guns music) but for a glorified hanger-on to try and influence someone leaving the band because they don't like them personally is the height of cuntyness to me. He might be a nice bloke in person and he might have been a good friend to Axl but several stories like these over the years have made me suspicious.

Thanks Del!

I wasn't trying to call him a leech. I was just interested in what he actually did, and I made an observation about Photo's I've seen where he's posing like a Rockstar with Axl.

Also, editor at RIP magazine, fine... but who gave him the reference? nearly guarantee that Axl made that phone call. There's nothing wrong with helping your friends out. I would guess that Del is more friend than leech too, but I would also say that he knows that he has a great thing with Axl, so the times where Axl may have pissed him off royally he just let it go to preserve the relationship and his livelihood. Sorry, but when you mix business with friendship somethings gotta give, there's no way he's giving Axl the whole truth because he definitely wouldn't still be employed if he was... lets call them white lies, but lies none the less.

Tom I wasn't trying too single anyone person out. Just making a point. peace

Thanks Del!

Tom I wasn't trying too single anyone person out. Just making a point. peace

Ha! I wasn't calling you out either, I just wanted to clear up my intentions. I have nothing against the guy, I can safely say he does more good than bad for GnR.

He was good friends with Slash right? has he completely ditched him? It's kinda like a divorce and the friends have to choose one or the other.

Del has always seemed like a cool guy to me, not usre what the problem some people have with him is. As for what he does, I would imagine a great many things, but as for official titles there is nothing lisgted in the early itineraries for Del. Even in the later itineraries I see Road Manager, but not tour manager:

http://www.troccolitm.com/1106010302Itin4.JPG

http://www.troccolitm.com/Itin2010Can3.JPG

But my absolute favorite title for Del can be found here (look on the bottom):

http://www.troccolitm.com/93TourItin4.JPG

• Like 2

The gist of the story as very specifically that Del was trying to stop Axl talking to the fan about Guns business, not that he needed to be somewhere.

The Bucket bullying has been talked about by a few people over the years. It was partly that people liked Robin and when he came back, didn't feel there was a need for 3 players; partly jealousy of his ability and substantial contributions to the songs and partly personality clashes. Del and Tommy seem like pretty ordinary, macho, blokey-blokes and they didn't like or want to get on with this 'weirdo.'

It's one thing for band members to be dicks in that way (and I personally wish Axl had started a new band with Bucket, Robin and Brain and gotten someone far more talented than Stinson who actually liked old Guns music) but for a glorified hanger-on to try and influence someone leaving the band because they don't like them personally is the height of cuntyness to me. He might be a nice bloke in person and he might have been a good friend to Axl but several stories like these over the years have made me suspicious.

No, I agree, if those stories are true they're pretty awful. Del shouldn't be trying to dictate who is in the band, and bullying someone that way is really shitty. Especially if it's about a personal dislike and not about what Bucket could do in the band.

No, I agree, if those stories are true they're pretty awful. Del shouldn't be trying to dictate who is in the band, and bullying someone that way is really shitty. Especially if it's about a personal dislike and not about what Bucket could do in the band.

Is that the same as Slash disliking Paul Huge or did he not bully him, just let Axl know he didn't want him in the band? Was he nowhere near the talent of BH?

Is that the same as Slash disliking Paul Huge or did he not bully him, just let Axl know he didn't want him in the band? Was he nowhere near the talent of BH?

How did Slash get into this discussion, LOL! I don't think bullying is ever okay and it's a very childish thing for grown men to do...but I do think members of a band should have a say in who is in the band. That's the difference between Slash and Del, perhaps - Slash actually was playing in the band and would have had to work directly with Paul or anyone else that was brought in. I've never heard that anyone bullied him, though. Just that objections were raised.