Ron Thal On GN'R: I Wish Them All Well, Will Not Be Performing With Axl In The Future

Ron Thal was interviewed by radio Hek82 in Anaheim while on the Axes & Anchors Cruise February 20-24.  I've transcribed some of the interview below:

Ron Bumblefoot Thal Meet Hek82

Published on Feb 25, 2016

Hek82: I have to ask, are you thinking of performing any GN'R. Maybe some smaller venues. We love you in GN'R.

Ron Thal: Thank you, thank you.

Hek82: It's totally cool that you left the band because you're an awesome musician. I know I'm going to hear great stuff anytime soon. And already have. If I wanted to hear some Guns N' Roses songs and I came up to you and said please, can you do a set, how would you feel about that?

Ron Thal: We had a wonderful time together (in GN'R). I hope, I just hope it was good for the fans. I hope they enjoyed those 8 years that we had. I enjoyed them, I enjoy all of you. And I thank you. I'm cool with jamming, you know the music is wonderful. And if people enjoy the music that's what it's about. So sure, I have no problem jamming, I love getting together with a bunch of people and busting out something like "Used To Love Her" or something like that.

Hek82: Was it hard performing with the pyrotechnics?

Ron Thal: No no no you've just gotta know where not to step. So you don't set yourself on fire or blow yourself up. Yeah. You've got the orange tape, do not cross the orange tape. There were always the greatest pyro guys that just had a million eyes and they were watching everyone and making sure that it was safe and they don't hit it unless they see that, the coast is clear.

Hek82: I want to thank you again Ron. I want to say hey to Axl Rose too because I think he's cool as well. I want to know if you'll be performing any, in the future at all with Axl? 

Ron Thal: (Shakes head no)

Hek82: You're east coast and he's west coast as far as I know.

Ron Thal: Umm (laughs)

Hek82: It was a lot of work (GN'R), wasn't it Ron.

Ron Thal: It was a lot of fun. It was a lot of everything. But that's life, it suppose to be, you know if you're having a lot of everything, then you're really living. That's what it's about, so yeah. So good, I wish them well. I wish them all well. Thank you.

@ 29:25

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AlterL said:

Would be cool seeing Slash and Bumblefoot playing a show together. I wonder if they would get along. 

Um- no, it would not be cool. 

Edited by Original
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

It always amazes me how they could put a gag order on someone no longer with the band

It's pretty common with Non-Disclosure Agreements, though. A lot of celebrities have people who work for them sign NDAs and the basic rule is usually that they're agreeing NEVER to talk about the person in the press, or for a very long time. It's why one doesn't see more ex-housekeepers/employees gossiping to the press and selling photos, etc.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, stella said:

It's pretty common with Non-Disclosure Agreements, though. A lot of celebrities have people who work for them sign NDAs and the basic rule is usually that they're agreeing NEVER to talk about the person in the press, or for a very long time. It's why one doesn't see more ex-housekeepers/employees gossiping to the press and selling photos, etc.

Right, the NDAs are generally common these days. I had to sign one myself and it covers the period of ten years though I was not working for any celebrity so I can imagine that in case of GNR members it's probably much longer. And the fees for violating are huuuge. Definitely not worth it for anyone ;)

• Like 1

The whole era, minus Slash and Duff, is a bad mark on the greatness that this band was from 87-93.  Man, I wish Axl would have just done a solo project and not used the GNR name.  It's like when Aerosmith did the whole thing minus Joe Perry and Brad Whitford.  Get it outta here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, schnoogans37 said:

The topic here is totally misleading and unfair to Ron. He didn't say he wouldn't perform with Axl in the future.  She asked if WAS performing with Axl in the future (not if he would - big difference) - and currently there are no plans for that so he just kind of shook his head like "no - I'm not doing any of the upcoming GNR shows." People do like to create drama out of anything don't they?

Dude you're in a GN'R forum, you should be used to lots and lots of drama. It's like a damn Mexican soap opera. 

7 minutes ago, schnoogans37 said:

The topic here is totally misleading and unfair to Ron. He didn't say he wouldn't perform with Axl in the future.  She asked if he WAS performing with Axl in the future (not if he would - big difference) - and currently there are no plans for that so he just kind of shook his head like "no - I'm not doing any of the upcoming GNR shows." People do like to create drama out of anything don't they?

Any of these former hired touring musicians owe Slash and Duff et al a big thank you.  And I doubt it's up to them if they would/will tour with Axl again. 

I really don't get why this guy can't grow some balls and just say he quit or is not in the band anymore.

Ive met him a couple of times and he is really a cool person, I would say the friendliest out of all of them, but seriously the way he has been quiet and not talking anything regarding GNR.

Like Ashba and Tommy spoke, if they can, why can't he? 

46 minutes ago, schnoogans37 said:

The topic here is totally misleading and unfair to Ron. He didn't say he wouldn't perform with Axl in the future.  She asked if he WAS performing with Axl in the future (not if he would - big difference) - and currently there are no plans for that so he just kind of shook his head like "no - I'm not doing any of the upcoming GNR shows." People do like to create drama out of anything don't they?

The interviewer has a strange way of speaking.  I re-listened to that part and here is exactly what she asks:

I want to know if you will be performing any, in the future at all with Axl.

He shakes his head no. The topic says he "will not" be performing, not "wouldn't" perform.

Edited by Funky.Monkey