Izzy and steven

19 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Slash implies that Izzy didn't want to rehearse. Izzy himself confirmed he didn't feel it was necesarry to practice much for the gigs ("And I knew all the music so it wasn't like I had to study or practise much, just take a guitar and go over.").  So regardless of whether Izzy actually went to rehearsals or not, it seems like Slash (and Axl) thinks he wasn't as prepared as he should have been.

Btw, and for future reference: http://www.a-4-d.com/t2016-1993-05-22-hayarkon-park-tel-aviv-israel That site got a thread for every gig, with all the relevant quotes I could find.

Cool link... Thanks for that!

Izzy rehearsing or not: Reading that interview (regading the money) I'm not really surprised he wasn't really into it.

Edit:

I know for a fact that Izzy rehearsed with the guys in Tel Aviv. I saw that clip too.
Couldn't find it on youtube because I'm at work at the moment, but  Izzy was singing "Nightrain" in that clip because Axl wasn't rehearsing with them!

Edited by Rubicon
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rubicon said:

Izzy rehearsing or not: Reading that interview (regading the money) I'm not really surprised he wasn't really into it.

I agree. Izzy was probably not as prepared as he shold have been, Slash and Duff were probably still fucked up, Axl was probably an asshole, there were money issues... They are all to blame to some extent for their problems. None of them are saints or perfect. They are flawed humans like everyone, but good at music, put in extraordinary circumstances and scrutinized for ever by hardcore fans who tend to pick favourites. Poor guys.

The clip comes from Robert John's documentary - and yes, Izzy's there, playing and singing Nightrain - no sign of him not being prepared enough to play it on stage. Guess which Mr. Reliable is not there? So it's a simple case of Slash forgetting about it (don't think he was anywhere close to sober then) and spinning a tale to fit his story.

Btw, here's a nice quote regarding all these stories from Slash that Izzy was not putting enough effort into the band's work:

Slash has accused you of turning in sloppily made demo tapes.
"That's not Slash talking. That's Axl talking and Slash repeating it...."

I think it's a good example of how all this wild notions about Izzy come up. I find it entirely believable that the person who was the least reliable tried to find a scape goat - say that somebody else is unreliable, bring up whatever weird and isolated fact you can think of and try to make others believe. I think he succeeded. The popular belief is that Izzy is THE one most unreliable - quitter, lazy, not comitted etc. But as somebody here already mentioned - he didn't miss a single show, he didn't cause a single riot, he didn't cost the band any money for overtime fees, pretty much nothing. He was there when the recording sessions were scheduled, he was on time for each show, possibly buzzed and ready to perform - had to wait hours but still delivered  (how long do YOU wait for anything whithout losing interest and motivation?), he finished a world tour with his band (yes, get your facts straight there), recorded plenty of music as a solo artist, and so it goes on.

I know Axl seems such an honest person when he speaks, and I think he actually believes what he says. The more he repeats it, the more he believes. And so he makes others believe - band memebers, friends, press and fans. Judging by the fact that he's turned the attention from his being a definition of unreliable to some other band member - he's really GOOD at it. Doesn't make what he says anymore true though...

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Rubicon said:

Edit:

I know for a fact that Izzy rehearsed with the guys in Tel Aviv. I saw that clip too.
Couldn't find it on youtube because I'm at work at the moment, but  Izzy was singing "Nightrain" in that clip because Axl wasn't rehearsing with them!

Wasn't that Nightrain rehearsal at Rio '91?

7 minutes ago, Philipm787 said:

Wasn't that Nightrain rehearsal at Rio '91?

Nope... like already said: it's a clip from that documentary. And I'm pretty sure it was mentioned that this was the rehearsal for Tel Aviv.

I don't think this is as easy as Axl making up lies about Izzy and then getting the rest of the guys to repeat them. Slash and Axl aren't the only ones in the band who have said similar things about Izzy, it seems to be a fairly widespread opinion that Izzy was abit flaky and not really dependable, especially when it came to ding work beyond gigs. Slash and Dizzy has also implies that Izzy didn't show up for gigs with Juju Hounds, too.

8 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't think this is as easy as Axl making up lies about Izzy and then getting the rest of the guys to repeat them. Slash and Axl aren't the only ones in the band who have said similar things about Izzy, it seems to be a fairly widespread opinion that Izzy was abit flaky and not really dependable, especially when it came to ding work beyond gigs. Slash and Dizzy has also implies that Izzy didn't show up for gigs with Juju Hounds, too.

I have read the quote from Dizzy and remeber Jimmy Ashhurst (then bass player fo JU JU) talking about it (Dizzy said that Jimmy asked him if he knew where Izzy was - because he lost contact with him). It wasn't about a gig, it was about recording the second album. Izzy dissolved the band and apparently wasn't very nice about it. Jimmy held a grudge towards him for a long time, also because he started using drugs again after Ju Jus finished and landed in prison as a result. Sorry, but I wouldn't hold this as an ubiased opinion. Something went down between them (Richards, the lead player, didn't seem to be involved in it) but nothing more is known so it's hard to judge what really happened. Much later he said he would love to tour with the Ju Jus again, that it was one of the best times in his life (Chalo Quintana said pretty much the same, and their tour manager also praised the tour immensly) and that from the perspective of time he understood Izzy's decision to not continue. Doesn't seem like Izzy seemed flaky to them... Anyway Jimmy also said he had not heard from Izzy anytime ever after that event. So whatever happened was pretty serious. I suppose it might have had something to do with Ashhurst drug use.

Don't know about Slash saying anything like that  - can you point me to that quote?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bikka said:

I have read the quote from Dizzy and remeber Jimmy Ashhurst (then bass player fo JU JU) talking about it (Dizzy said that Jimmy asked him if he knew where Izzy was - because he lost contact with him). It wasn't about a gig, it was about recording the second album. Izzy dissolved the band and apparently wasn't very nice about it. Jimmy held a grudge towards him for a long time, also because he started using drugs again after Ju Jus finished and landed in prison as a result. Sorry, but I wouldn't hold this as an ubiased opinion. Something went down between them (Richards, the lead player, didn't seem to be involved in it) but nothing more is known so it's hard to judge what really happened. Much later he said he would love to tour with the Ju Jus again, that it was one of the best times in his life (Chalo Quintana said pretty much the same, and their tour manager also praised the tour immensly) and that from the perspective of time he understood Izzy's decision to not continue. Doesn't seem like Izzy seemed flaky to them... Anyway Jimmy also said he had not heard from Izzy anytime ever after that event. So whatever happened was pretty serious. I suppose it might have had something to do with Ashhurst drug use.

Don't know about Slash saying anything like that  - can you point me to that quote?

Thanks for the info.

From Q Magazine in 1994, Slash said "And even before Izzy quit, he was pretty much phased out - he's even phased out of his own band," suggesting Izzy isn't pulling his weight in Juju Hounds, either.

I find it more plausible that there is truth to the statements about Izzy doing less and less in GN'R and that he wasn't properly prepared for the shows in 1993, than it all being lies.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Thanks for the info.

From Q Magazine in 1994, Slash said "And even before Izzy quit, he was pretty much phased out - he's even phased out of his own band," suggesting Izzy isn't pulling his weight in Juju Hounds, either.

I find it more plausible that there is truth to the statements about Izzy doing less and less in GN'R and that he wasn't properly prepared for the shows in 1993, than it all being lies.

I agree. These are grown men and they certainly disagreed with Axl in many other respects...why would they parrot back some sort of party line about Izzy? Both sides seem to have legit complaints about the other. No reason they both can't be true.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

It was from a 2001 interview

Nevertheless, Izzy did return briefly to the Gunners, in 1993. after Gilby Clarke, his short-lived replacement, busted his hand in a dirt bike accident. For the fans, it was a welcome return for one of the original members. For Izzy, “it was weird. We toured Greece, Istanbul, London – I liked that side of it, seeing some places I’d never seen.” But that was the only thing he did like about it. After he’d left the band, he had “a big shit load of money sitting somewhere [for me] and they weren’t paying me [it]. I don’t know the deal was, some kind of legal bullshit.” Funds, he claims, which were only released after he agreed to come back temporarily. “Money was a big sore point. I did the dates just for salary. I mean, I helped start this band…” Up comes the guitar again. A flurry of angry notes ensue. These were his final shows with Guns N’ Roses. He left without saying goodbye. “I didn’t actually say ‘see you’ cos they were all fucked up. Duff and these guys, they didn’t even recognise me. It was really bizarre. It was like playing with zombies. Ah, man, it was just horrible. Nobody was laughing anymore…”

http://www.chinesedemocracy.com/forum/index.php?topic=49804.0

2 hours ago, bikka said:

I know Axl seems such an honest person when he speaks, and I think he actually believes what he says. The more he repeats it, the more he believes. And so he makes others believe - band memebers, friends, press and fans. Judging by the fact that he's turned the attention from his being a definition of unreliable to some other band member - he's really GOOD at it. Doesn't make what he says anymore true though...

There was one interview he did, where he basically broke down all the criticisms about himself and deflected them onto the AfD members. It was masterful tbh. Even now, this thing with Perla is a way to deflect from himself. It's what he does.

Edited by Babooshka

Just now, SoulMonster said:

Are you saying anyone blaming is Izzy for the dissolution of the AFD or UYI lineups?

Weren't Axl and Slash accusing him of not investing himself too much? it was Axl who didn't partecipated with the band when they were together like at the rehearsals

5 hours ago, bikka said:

The clip comes from Robert John's documentary - and yes, Izzy's there, playing and singing Nightrain - no sign of him not being prepared enough to play it on stage. Guess which Mr. Reliable is not there? So it's a simple case of Slash forgetting about it (don't think he was anywhere close to sober then) and spinning a tale to fit his story.

Btw, here's a nice quote regarding all these stories from Slash that Izzy was not putting enough effort into the band's work:

I think it's a good example of how all this wild notions about Izzy come up. I find it entirely believable that the person who was the least reliable tried to find a scape goat - say that somebody else is unreliable, bring up whatever weird and isolated fact you can think of and try to make others believe. I think he succeeded. The popular belief is that Izzy is THE one most unreliable - quitter, lazy, not comitted etc. But as somebody here already mentioned - he didn't miss a single show, he didn't cause a single riot, he didn't cost the band any money for overtime fees, pretty much nothing. He was there when the recording sessions were scheduled, he was on time for each show, possibly buzzed and ready to perform - had to wait hours but still delivered  (how long do YOU wait for anything whithout losing interest and motivation?), he finished a world tour with his band (yes, get your facts straight there), recorded plenty of music as a solo artist, and so it goes on.

He hasn't done a world tour since 1993. It is not factually wrong to say the man doesn't like touring. He has pumped out a lot of music in the last 20 years and barely any live performances during that time.

16 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

He hasn't done a world tour since 1993. It is not factually wrong to say the man doesn't like touring. He has pumped out a lot of music in the last 20 years and barely any live performances during that time.

yes but in fact he played every gig from 85 to 91