Izzy and steven

7 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

I know it sounds crazy given Axl's antics, but he has been more reliable than Izzy in that regard. And the fact is only one of them quit on the band at the height of their fame. There are consequences that go with this decision. It was likely a good decision for him personally to get away from all the chaos (Axl antics) and substance abuse (Duff/Slash/Matt), but it does come with consequences on the business end of things.

I think if he said he wanted to do it then it wouldn't be an issue. He obliviously hasn't wanted to tour in a long time but he did do some intensive touring during his tenure with Guns.. Like I said though, just write up the contract to pay him the bulk of the money after the tour. 

No one really knows if he wanted to or not though :/

The big 3 (probably just slash and axl) probably don't want to split the gigantic payday in equal shares. Let's not forget --- Izzy left the partnership and as such could only come back as a salaried employee unless he's brought back into the partnership. Given how much money they are making on this tour, I doubt they want to split it 4 ways. Dollars to donuts it's all over money why Izzy is being cut out of this.

Remember, Izzy chose to quit the band rather than sign Axl's contract to get demoted and become an employee. No fuckin' way he comes back to the band as a hired hand. 

9 minutes ago, RONIN said:

The big 3 (probably just slash and axl) probably don't want to split the gigantic payday in equal shares. Let's not forget --- Izzy left the partnership and as such could only come back as a salaried employee unless he's brought back into the partnership. Given how much money they are making on this tour, I doubt they want to split it 4 ways. Dollars to donuts it's all over money why Izzy is being cut out of this.

Remember, Izzy chose to quit the band rather than sign Axl's contract to get demoted and become an employee. No fuckin' way he comes back to the band as a hired hand. 

I agree it's about money. I don't think Izzy is 100% reluctant to come back as a hired hand or he would not have come back in 1993. He wouldn't have played those gigs with Axl in 2006 and beyond. Axl admitted later that his management told him Izzy demanded a ton of money and they paid it to him without Axl's knowledge. It was presented to Axl as just his buddy coming back to play shows with him whereas Izzy was cashing in pretty good behind the scenes. That scenario would not be able to happen this time without Axl/Slash/Duff knowing exactly what Izzy wants.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GNRfan2008 said:

I agree it's about money. I don't think Izzy is 100% reluctant to come back as a hired hand or he would not have come back in 1993. He wouldn't have played those gigs with Axl in 2006 and beyond. Axl admitted later that his management told him Izzy demanded a ton of money and they paid it to him without Axl's knowledge. It was presented to Axl as just his buddy coming back to play shows with him whereas Izzy was cashing in pretty good behind the scenes. That scenario would not be able to happen this time without Axl/Slash/Duff knowing exactly what Izzy wants.

Classic Axl. Someone is always taking advantage of him, letting him down etc. I wouldn't believe that story for a minute.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GNRfan2008 said:

Do you have the article where axl said that what you said?

1 hour ago, wagrez said:

Do you have the article where axl said that what you said?

I don't think it was in an article, believe it was either audio or video interview. 

1 hour ago, bigpoop said:

Classic Axl. Someone is always taking advantage of him, letting him down etc. I wouldn't believe that story for a minute.

The tone of Axl's voice when he described it did not sound like he was trying to say he was taken advantage of. He said he had a great time with Izzy. Sounded to me like his management is paranoid about how he will react to stuff. Reminds me of what Eddie Trunk described about how Axl's management told him he would be able to interview Axl, but Axl himself was not aware of it until the very last second because the managers were worried about how he would react to the idea. WTF? No need to baby the guy. 

I think that Axl quote you're talking about was in the 2008 forum chats? Might be a good place to start looking :) Management were willing to pay Izzy huge sums of money to appear in 2006 because it lended so much credibility to NuGNR at the time - given how disastrously the 2002 lineup/tour ended, their was still no album released, and Nu GNR were on another comeback.... touring the hits again with a nu-nu-lineup etc.

Also Izzy has completed a world tour. See http://www.izzystradlinontour.com

Edited by downliner

I remember it too but the takeaway I had was that Axl said something along the lines of "if I had known how much he was getting paid, or the deal he had struck, it would have taken some of the shine off the moment." 

I could be remembering it wrong but it kinda stuck out as being shitty considering Izzy is as almost as much the songwriting backbone that fucking allowed nuGNR to exist as the Ax man is/was.

Maybe it was just the fact that ANY deal was struck, and Axl thought it was purely a friendship thing, to give him the benefit of the doubt. But then who gives a shit... Axl is never going hungry. 

Edited by Ant

Found it! Thanks @SoulMonster, your site is awesome!

http://www.a-4-d.com/t6-2009-02-27-axl-rose-interview-with-spinner-magazine

Would you consider a reunion with the 'Appetite' or 'Illusions' lineups?

No

Why not?

A lot more reasons than I'll get into here now. Different reasons for each version and each individual. The Izzy bit was fun -- and also fun because we didn't have to rely on him in any way, which is how he prefers things and works better for everyone. That said, you never knew if Izzy would be there or not or if he'd remember the song or decide to leave early. It didn't cause any problems, because we were doing our show regardless and didn't have to depend on anything, but it did open everyone's eyes a bit and blow minds.

He called, asked to come out and negotiated a deal with management that it's probably best that none of us knew about or the fun would've seemed a bit more like being used or taken advantage of spoiling the moment. As it was, we had a great time.

Edited by sanity_lost
removed bit that didn't pertain to Izzy
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ant said:

I remember it too but the takeaway I had was that Axl said something along the lines of "if I had known how much he was getting paid, or the deal he had struck, it would have taken some of the shine off the moment." 

I could be remembering it wrong but it kinda stuck out as being shitty considering Izzy is as almost as much the songwriting backbone that fucking allowed nuGNR to exist as the Ax man is/was.

Maybe it was just the fact that ANY deal was struck, and Axl thought it was purely a friendship thing, to give him the benefit of the doubt. But then who gives a shit... Axl is never going hungry. 

I think management presented it to him as a friendship thing. He said he still had a great time with it regardless of finding out the business details later. My entire point in bringing this up is that it will not play out like that again. Axl/Slash/Duff know exactly what Izzy wants and there would need to be compromise from both directions. 

6 hours ago, bigpoop said:

exactly. in Axl's own seriously twisted mind, he's been a victim his whole life and has never done anyone wrong.

he's never unjustifiably fired a band mate, never spoken poorly of a band mate, never bullied his way into seizing control of the band's name, never turned his back on a GNR manager, never stole from a GNR photographer, never beat the shit out of multiple women, and always showed up on time acting like a professional.

Axl is so full of shit, it's really sad how many gullible mindless fans he has.

• Like 1

As to being surprised that Izzy was getting payment for sitting in for a few songs...it's pretty common for friends/colleagues to sit in with each other's bands when they're in town, and there's usually no payment involved. It's unlikely Sebastian Bach or Kid Rock ever demanded payment when they guested for a song or two. With Prince's death, all sorts of musicians are commenting on the times he sat in with them, or invited them to play with him. So I can actually understand how, if Axl was told that Izzy was guesting as a buddy, he might be surprised and disappointed to find out that he had been paid to be there. It's like finding out that someone only attended your birthday party because they got a paycheck for it.

And *nobody* in the AfD lineup is a candidate for sainthood. Nobody. Duff has the most integrity IMHO, but they've ALL slagged each other off in the press. ALL of the AfD guys except Duff were accused of hitting women at least once; Adler went to jail for it twice. Izzy dealt heroin. Etc.  There's a bit of a difference between liking the music and liking the people who made the music.

Edited by stella

It's been said before by people like Marc Canter that he felt that some people close to Axl were filtering out information they thought might upset him, or at least, they did at that point in time. In 2006 he was also working with Merck, who apparently did a bunch of things Axl wasn't cool with and got fired shortly after the tour.

And running the band doesn't mean that he's looking over all the books and every single entry on the tour payroll. Most people have accountants and managers for that and they don't necessarily check their work (case in point, all the celebrities who have been nabbed for tax evasion who claim they trusted their accountants/managers). Duff said once that the reason he went back to business school was because he had no idea how the hell his money was being managed.

Those things do make me think it's plausible that some sort of deal was hammered out without Axl's direct knowledge. There really didn't seem to be any reason for him to lie about that.

Edited by stella

13 hours ago, sanity_lost said:

So they can't depend on Izzy because he just wants to play when he feels like it and they can't depend on Alder because he's a drug addict and everyone is mad at them for not including them?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stella said:

As to being surprised that Izzy was getting payment for sitting in for a few songs...it's pretty common for friends/colleagues to sit in with each other's bands when they're in town, and there's usually no payment involved. It's unlikely Sebastian Bach or Kid Rock ever demanded payment when they guested for a song or two. With Prince's death, all sorts of musicians are commenting on the times he sat in with them, or invited them to play with him. So I can actually understand how, if Axl was told that Izzy was guesting as a buddy, he might be surprised and disappointed to find out that he had been paid to be there. It's like finding out that someone only attended your birthday party because they got a paycheck for it.

And *nobody* in the AfD lineup is a candidate for sainthood. Nobody. Duff has the most integrity IMHO, but they've ALL slagged each other off in the press. ALL of the AfD guys except Duff were accused of hitting women at least once; Adler went to jail for it twice. Izzy dealt heroin. Etc.  There's a bit of a difference between liking the music and liking the people who made the music.

sure if he comes for 1 song on the Tour... but if he plays 4-5 songs each night... what is normal? If you compare the amount of gold the big 3 make with a large part of the setlist due to Izzy's songwriting... ok Izzy has royalties, but if the others have their special share for the tour why wouldn't he allowed to have his share?

I'm the first to regret the business part of the things if it kills magic, etc. but don't tell me that this "reunion" is not partially motivated by money... which is Ok, they are great musician and I love them. And it can go with the fact they want to do music together again, and create new music (I hope)

9 hours ago, paranoyd androyd said:

exactly. in Axl's own seriously twisted mind, he's been a victim his whole life and has never done anyone wrong.

he's never unjustifiably fired a band mate, never spoken poorly of a band mate, never bullied his way into seizing control of the band's name, never turned his back on a GNR manager, never stole from a GNR photographer, never beat the shit out of multiple women, and always showed up on time acting like a professional.

Axl is so full of shit, it's really sad how many gullible mindless fans he has.

Axl is crazy for sure, but he has repeatedly made fun of himself for showing up late. Alan Niven is no fan of Axl but he backed up Axl's side of the story regarding the band name. Slash and Duff were either so stoned/drunk they remembered it wrong or they straight up lied. 

Edited by GNRfan2008

What a bunch of shit-stirring negative nancies... 

Izzy quit GnR because he didn't want the whole touring circus and be free. He's played with all the guys in the band regularly and is on good terms with everybody. To me, it's a matter of time before he shows up somewhere. And as a big Izzy fan it pains me to admit this, but the guy is pretty replacable on stage. Having him pleases us hardcore fans. That's it. So I doubt huge financial differences are involved here. Izzy just wants to be free to come and go when he pleases and I've sure at some point he will. 

Steven is a different story. I imagine he'd pay the guys to be able to play with them rather than getting paid. But he's probably also a flight risk. Most of all though, Axl has always been loyal to bandmates. So I imagine he's doing that for Frank now. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, G-Money said:

Two options (if Axl and even Duff/Slash want to not fire Richard and Frank)

1. Knock out all CD songs earlier in the set, then complete the show with the others.
  2. Let Adler drum on the CD songs. I can't imagine "This I Love" being all that difficult lol

As much as I agree with you here, I don't think they'll get past Izzy's flakiness and Steven's health to put ALL their concert eggs in that basket.  I predict Richard and Frank will remain a part of the show from here on out.

or just bring in Izzy & Steven for a full AFD30 tour. Richard and Frank can go on a nice paid vacation and return in 2018. Izzy can go ride his bike around the country and Steven be involved in some shows or split time with Frank. It won't hurt to give Steven all the appetite songs since Frank clearly will never learn how to play them properly

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

If he is demanding big money, you just pay him after. I was just saying that calling Axl reliable is a bit of a stretch.

2002 was 14yrs ago man. Frustrations with management/promoters and/or cocaine for all we know

Edited by Top-Hatted One

16 hours ago, sanity_lost said:

See I'm not making things up when I say Izzy doesn't like long term commitments. Hasn't since 1991. Certainly doesn't like being in the limelight 24/7 with a band as big as GN'R. Heck he won't even commit to touring his solo records. Not even a string of European/South American dates.

Nothing. Nada. Ju Ju Hounds in 93 thats it. Now all of a sudden he is going on a 2+ yr World Tour with a re-united bigger than ever GN'R. Talk of the music world?

• Like 1