Izzy and steven

1 hour ago, Modano09 said:

Him inevitably wanting to play more than they offered him, partying like it's 1988, showing up in no shape to perform and causing problems in a delicate situation that's going smoothly so far.

and I am Santa Claus. Not even Slash would go into the gigs as enthusiastic and ready as Steven, he would be the most enthusiastic and happy guy of all the guys in the entire line up and the best drummer they could get just for this reason, Steven is no idiot, he wont risk this again. Frank feels like a competent but rather workmanlike player - perhaps because he lacks the desperate hunger and fire and true desire to really just PLAY these songs with these guys - Steven has all of it.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

and I am Santa Claus. Not even Slash would go into the gigs as enthusiastic and ready as Steven, he would be the most enthusiastic and happy guy of all the guys in the entire line up and the best drummer they could get, Steven is no idiot, he wont risk this again. Frank feels like a competent but rather workmanlike player - perhaps because he lacks the desperate hunger and fire and true desire to really just PLAY these songs with these guys - Steven has all of it.

If he could control it he wouldn't have been thrown out 26 years ago and made the fool he did of himself numerous times over those 26 years. 

He couldn't handle opening for Loaded 3 years ago without going on a bender. He's just more trouble than he's worth. How many extra tickets do you think Steven Adler sells?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

If he could control it he wouldn't have been thrown out 26 years ago and made the fool he did of himself numerous times over those 26 years. 

He couldn't handle opening for Loaded 3 years ago without going on a bender. He's just more trouble than he's worth. How many extra tickets do you think Steven Adler sells?

rofl @ comparing opening for loaded to playing with Guns N Roses. If he flew out of gnr once again the guy would literally grab a rope and kill himself, it's all he lives for. I hope you don't judge other people on things they did nearly 3 decades ago, and bring up really weird old shit, 1990 - what the fuck

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

rofl @ comparing opening for loaded to playing with Guns N Roses. If he flew out of gnr once again the guy would literally grab a rope and kill himself, it's all he lives for. I hope you don't judge other people on things they did nearly 3 decades ago, and bring up really weird old shit, 1990 - what the fuck

Well if he can't handle the stress of going on tour opening for Loaded how do you think he's going to handle a stadium tour with GNR? 

And you act like he was thrown out in 1990, went to rehab and has been a model citizen since. The guy's been an erratic junkie the last 26 years because all he wanted in the world was to re-live the days when he was an erratic junkie on top of the world. 

10 hours ago, Billsfan said:

Yeah a lot of people here are choosing to ignore that fact apparently :lol:

I don't know that anyone's ignoring it; many just don't believe it. It's a very convenient "official" line that popped up at a very convenient time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stella said:

I don't know that anyone's ignoring it; many just don't believe it. It's a very convenient "official" line that popped up at a very convenient time.

Doesn't seem like that to me, Courtney Cox mentioned the back surgery the day after the Troubador gig. That was before Mick Wall and Marc talked about it, so either there's someone telling the same lie to everyone or this is actually true.

10 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Doesn't seem like that to me, Courtney Cox mentioned the back surgery the day after the Troubador gig. That was before Mick Wall and Marc talked about it, so either there's someone telling the same lie to everyone or this is actually true.

If that's what was said at the Troubadour and passed around through the crowd, of course it would be mentioned by people who were there, and would be a unified lie. It just seems way too convenient to me, especially because Frank was known to be rehearsing with the band for months before the Troubadour and there were negotiations said to be going on with Adler a few weeks before the Troubadour.

I just have a feeling the back injury story isn't quite true.

Edited by stella

3 minutes ago, stella said:

If that's what was said at the Troubadour and passed around through the crowd, of course it would be mentioned by people who were there, and would be a unified lie. It just seems way too convenient to me, especially because Frank was known to be rehearsing with the band for months before the Troubadour and there were negotiations said to be going on with Adler a few weeks before the Troubadour.

I just have a feeling the back injury story isn't quite true.

Well, I can't assure it's true but the idea of planting a lie in the crowd sound kinda odd to me and I don't believe Marc would lie about something like this. If the back injury thing wasn't true and there was something he couldn't say, I believe he would have stayed silent.

I know the cancelled show at the Whisky wasn't due to Steven falling off the wagon, but that's all I know.

16 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Well, I can't assure it's true but the idea of planting a lie in the crowd sound kinda odd to me and I don't believe Marc would lie about something like this. If the back injury thing wasn't true and there was something he couldn't say, I believe he would have stayed silent.

I know the cancelled show at the Whisky wasn't due to Steven falling off the wagon, but that's all I know.

I don't know if it's lying as much as it's trying to protect his privacy...or it's not the whole story. It could also be that he does have a legit back injury but he wasn't going to be doing anything with the reunion regardless of that. Notice that Marc said the back injury was true but said nothing about Steven being in the mix or playing with the band. Eddie Trunk didn't sound positive at all about Steven and it seemed as though even a few weeks before the Troubadour, there were negotiations happening. 

I don't care for Steven, but I don't wish him harm. It would be awesome if I were completely off the mark here and he's fine.

Edited by stella
  • Like 3

In 2009, Axl talked to Billboard magazine:

"Is there any chance you'll work with the former members of Guns N' Roses in the future?

"I could see doing a song or so on the side with Izzy [Stradlin] or having him out [on tour] again. I'm not so comfortable with doing anything having more than one of the alumni. Maybe something with Duff [McKagan], but that's it, and not something I'd have to really get down into, as I'd get left with sorting it out and then blamed on top of it. So, no, not me."

I guess since this time he has become comfortable with 2 alumni. But this quote tells me that it is likely that Axl doesn't want to take on a third alumni (Izzy) because then it becomes less his band, his vision. Just a thought. Maybe Izzy just doesnt want to join them but I think this is more likely.

Edited by Thierry-Henry

I'm pretty much indifferent to MSL generally but he keeps saying that business-wise this is not a reunion, more of an Axl's GNR with two of the old guys allowed back in.

I think on some levels that's correct. Both Duff & Slash have said that they let go of GNR a long time ago so who knows..maybe they are there for the easy money, the adulation and none of the hassle. Let Axl hire and fire who he likes, once they get paid. Maybe they are so long divorced from the GNR name that they don't really care all that much any more. 

1 hour ago, Intercourse said:

I think on some levels that's correct. Both Duff & Slash have said that they let go of GNR a long time ago so who knows..maybe they are there for the easy money, the adulation and none of the hassle. Let Axl hire and fire who he likes, once they get paid. Maybe they are so long divorced from the GNR name that they don't really care all that much any more. 

Pretty much sums up how I see it

Every credible source had Adler involved in some way but he hurt his back.  Now whether the 'hurt back' part is the reason or not, I'm not sure.  But I'm relatively certain he was involved until something happened.

As for Izzy, I think he may have gotten involved (or tried to get involved) late in the game, and it came down to the business aspect.  Whether it was about money, extent of his involvement, etc., I don't know.  

Edited by Kasanova King

On April 10, 2016 at 11:06 PM, SWINGTRADER said:

If I had to choose which one to have right now, it would be Steven Adler. His drumming would make a world of difference. These songs have not sounded the way they were meant to sound since he was fired. Frank is a mess.

Matt Sorum is not the answer since he sucks on AFD material. And if you listen to Steven's play on the UYI stuff, you can see he Matt messed those up as well.

I wouldn't say Sorum sucks on AFD material. He does his job. He doesn't play with Adler's swing but No one ever complained about the tempo or him over playing to the point where you can hear Athe little nuances between the 2 guitars. Or Axl for that matter. 

Flat out saying Sorum sucks is about as uniformed and naive as it gets

I was so excited when all this Troubadour gig thing happened. Really... Damn, what a great time to be a fan!

But after seeing those clips of the shows (Vegas etc) I have to admit I'm slowly loosing interest. I miss Izzy and I really want to see him on stage... 

Don't get me wrong: I love slash but I've seen him a dozen times since he left guns.

7 minutes ago, Rubicon said:

I was so excited when all this Troubadour gig thing happened. Really... Damn, what a great time to be a fan!

But after seeing those clips of the shows (Vegas etc) I have to admit I'm slowly loosing interest. I miss Izzy and I really want to see him on stage... 

Don't get me wrong: I love slash but I've seen him a dozen times since he left guns.

I was walking around with a boner for weeks in anticipation of all this.. All I could think about was going to Vegas. Then the Troubador show happened and things started to change. Then I went to Vegas and it did change.  Don't get me wrong, it was a great experience and I wouldn't take it back for the world but it was apparent then that this wasn't all I had hoped for all these years. It is pretty sad when Slash's band is truer to the songs that Guns N' Roses is. I have also seen Slash probably 20 timers since he left Guns. I have seen him with Duff 10 times between Camp Freddy and VR. It was great to see them side by side with Axl again but as someone here mentioned, the greatness of Axl's vocals has been over stated. That can be overlooked somewhat because you can tell he is trying his ass off and there is improvement at times but combine that with the lineup and it just seems like a continuation of NuGuns. This band needs to be off the charts to compensate for Axl's shortcomings (which are no fault of his own). The product as it stands is not really worth $300 bucks. Then again, no band is.

Does it really matter? Probably not.. This tour will be a success and they will be raking in the $$$$$. It will have it's moments of greatness but it is no where near as good as it could and should be. I haven't thrown in the towel yet.. Things could change for the better. Maybe Frank will need back surgery next? 

Still, I would give my right arm to see them in Europe...

But: I don't care for Axl's voice. He didn't sound so great in 1992 either.. So who cares? But from what I saw even Slash wasn't on point... And with his other band he is (and Myles is great)... 

I'm just worried I'm gonna be disappointed without Izzy here...?

Izzy doesn't seem too happy to be left out of this thing by the way so maybe something will happen in the near future

He himself left the door open by saying at this point in time...and about Steven I believe he has  back injury