Interviews + Media reactions to AXL/DC, good and bad

The Archer

Another Manchester review -

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/14/reviews-news/98497/triumphant-return-to-manchester-for-ac-dc

Triumphant return to Manchester for AC/DC
Reporter: Paul Webster
Date online: 10 June 2016

ROCK fans invaded north Manchester last night (Thursday, 9th) to witness the much-heralded return of AC/DC to these pastures.

Much, if not all, of the talk pre-show was about whether fans young and old would 'accept' temporary front-man Axl Rose into the fold. It appears they did.

Paul Webster, from the Oldham Chronicle, was there to witness the 'party' goings-on - take a look at his reflections.

I suppose it should come as no surprise that the return of AC/DC to Manchester was met with some trepidation with the arrival of legendary warbler Axl Rose taking over the vocals from established Brian Johnson.

There really was no need.

A huge crowd saw a band that have been around for forty years put on a show of sheer class.

Professional is the word to sum it up, oh and exhilarating, spectacular and very very loud.

From the opening track 'Rock or Bust' all the way through the set Axl provided the perfect vocals to a set made up of mostly older AC/DC classics.

Make no mistake though this is Angus Young's band. At 61, the man shows no sign of slowing down and if there is a better showman and guitarist on the planet I am yet to see him.

The audience was about as cosmopolitan as I have seen at the Etihad and the two hours twenty minutes seemed more like a party than a gig.

Finishing off before the encore with 'Let there be Rock' culminates with Angus on a raised platform above the crowd with your customary pyrotechnics.

The encore brought all the old favourites to the fore with 'Highway to Hell' and Riff Raff being given a well deserved airing. Finally 'For those about to Rock' closed the set complete with cannons.

Not sure whether we will see them again but if we don't then there could not have been a finer send off.

Older certainly, bit less running up and down the stage probably. Boring never. If you were there you will remember it always.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, The Archer said:

Another Manchester review -

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/14/reviews-news/98497/triumphant-return-to-manchester-for-ac-dc

Triumphant return to Manchester for AC/DC
Reporter: Paul Webster
Date online: 10 June 2016

ROCK fans invaded north Manchester last night (Thursday, 9th) to witness the much-heralded return of AC/DC to these pastures.

Much, if not all, of the talk pre-show was about whether fans young and old would 'accept' temporary front-man Axl Rose into the fold. It appears they did.

Paul Webster, from the Oldham Chronicle, was there to witness the 'party' goings-on - take a look at his reflections.

I suppose it should come as no surprise that the return of AC/DC to Manchester was met with some trepidation with the arrival of legendary warbler Axl Rose taking over the vocals from established Brian Johnson.

There really was no need.

A huge crowd saw a band that have been around for forty years put on a show of sheer class.

Professional is the word to sum it up, oh and exhilarating, spectacular and very very loud.

From the opening track 'Rock or Bust' all the way through the set Axl provided the perfect vocals to a set made up of mostly older AC/DC classics.

Make no mistake though this is Angus Young's band. At 61, the man shows no sign of slowing down and if there is a better showman and guitarist on the planet I am yet to see him.

The audience was about as cosmopolitan as I have seen at the Etihad and the two hours twenty minutes seemed more like a party than a gig.

Finishing off before the encore with 'Let there be Rock' culminates with Angus on a raised platform above the crowd with your customary pyrotechnics.

The encore brought all the old favourites to the fore with 'Highway to Hell' and Riff Raff being given a well deserved airing. Finally 'For those about to Rock' closed the set complete with cannons.

Not sure whether we will see them again but if we don't then there could not have been a finer send off.

Older certainly, bit less running up and down the stage probably. Boring never. If you were there you will remember it always.

seems about right ... right?

• Like 1

Another great review from the Guardian. I'm surprised though that they gave Manchester 4/5 and Lisbon 5/5.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/jun/12/acdc-review-etihad-manchester-axl-rose

Some great comments on the comments section too -

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/jun/12/acdc-review-etihad-manchester-axl-rose#comments

AC/DC review – it’s all about the dynamics

4/5stars

Etihad Stadium, Manchester 
With temporary new frontman Axl Rose rolling back the years, and guitarist Angus Young recalling Jimi Hendrix, AC/DC look as indestructible as ever

3349.jpg?w=300&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&f

Damage and derangement’: AC/DC’s Axl Rose and Angus Young at Etihad Stadium, Manchester last week. Photograph: Shirlaine Forrest/WireImage

Clumping around the stage on a brace, jeans torn off at the knee, Axl Rose – temporary American singer of Australian rock powerhouses AC/DC – has the air of a pirate regaining his sea legs and his authority.

Rose is not smiling, exactly. But there is a malevolent gleam in his eye as he tosses a fat microphone from hand to hand, surveying AC/DC’s fans. Gone is the throne that immobilised Rose on earlier parts of this controversial hybrid tour, a prop made necessary by the injury Rose sustained at a Guns N’ Roses reunion gig in early April.

Rose’s confinement added another Spinal Tap-ish dimension to AC/DC’s already beleaguered Rock Or Bust outing. AC/DC singer Brian Johnson was forced to pull out because of hearing loss in early March. The band’s press releases at the time had a strangely brutal finality to them (“We wish him all the best with his hearing issues and future ventures,” said a spokesperson). Thousands of fans demanded refunds when it was announced in mid-April that Rose would be Johnson’s replacement

Those fans might be repenting their decision at leisure now. Because the band we might call Axl/DC combines the strengths of both parties: AC/DC’s pulverising constancy – Thunderstruck still rumbles through the seating, Hells Bells sends your tinnitus polyphonic again – spiced up by Rose’s own damage and derangement.

Emboldened, this half-time sub with a dodgy metatarsal romps through the AC/DC classic Back in Black, screeching victoriously through very white teeth. It would be wrong to say he makes the song his own, but it’s not far off.

Back in Black is a testament to AC/DC’s own resilience after the loss of original singer, Bon Scott, who died in 1980, now something of a byword for the general indomitability of rock’n’roll, and all who sail in her. Although you don’t doubt that Rose has sung Back in Black into a hairbrush more than a few times while Guns N’ Roses were coming together in LA, Rose’s rendition is emphatically not karaoke, as some have suggested. Rose’s screech just works: not aping AC/DC singer Brian Johnson overmuch, but sharing his frequencies.

Angus Young: ‘owner of the most overexposed shins in rock’.

Angus Young: ‘owner of the most overexposed shins in rock’. Photograph: Jon Super/Redferns

The differences, though, are marked. Where Johnson had a smutty chuckle at the ready, both revelling in, and sending up, his band’s ridiculousness, Rose is a more predatory presence, channelling a little of the band’s original singer. He can reach the high notes on Hells Bells that Johnson was, perhaps, eyeing with some trepidation. By Highway to Hell in the encore, Rose just sounds like himself.

But if Rose’s mobility is the first thing that grabs you, it is not the focus of tonight’s show. In front of the reinvigorated Rose is puppet master Angus Young, AC/DC’s founding guitarist and owner of the most overexposed shins in rock, chicken-strutting backwards and forwards along the penile stage extension. Young has always been the star of AC/DC’s shows, and tonight his primacy is underscored even further.

Young comes on first, to adulation, at the start of Rock Or Bust. His solos seem to have gained in intricacy (or perhaps Johnson is no longer there to suggest he keeps it tight). The end of this long and joyous set – Let There Be Rock – is just one protracted blizzard of electric guitar, during which Young mock collapses twice. Mid-set, he rips off his schoolboy tie and frets his guitar with it, a pint-size Jimi Hendrix in velveteen school uniform.

You come for the songs – utterly formulaic, deathlessly amusing, the sexist twaddle still irksome – but you stay for the dynamics. Rose, one of the biggest rock stars on the planet, is deferential towards the human riff machine, the last man now standing of the band established in 1973. Young’s brother, Malcolm, retired from the band in 2014 because of dementia; their nephew, Stevie Young, is installed on rhythm guitar. Erstwhile drummer Phil Rudd has been sidelined after criminal charges; his stool is filled by Chris Slade. (“Is it even AC/DC?” Rudd has wondered aloud). Bassist Cliff Williams has been a constant since 1977.

As the hits roll on, drawing from virtually every era of AC/DC, you would not say that there was any chemistry between Young and his hired hand exactly – more a dance of necessity leavened by mutual respect. Johnson, meanwhile, has a state-of-the-art hearing aid and might theoretically be able to return to AC/DC in future. In the meantime, the combined effect of Rose’s clomp and Young’s stanky leg strut is unexpectedly moving, as though, against all material evidence, there really was some truth in AC/DC’s powerful illusion of indestructibility.

Edited by The Archer
  • Like 1

I think it's a different reviewer this time, I can't understand why they rave about the show, then knock a star off when clearly their write up couldn't be better ???????

anyway. It's really hard to even get four stars out of the guardian. All the other artists they reviewed got two or three that day :D 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I think it's a different reviewer this time, I can't understand why they rave about the show, then knock a star off when clearly their write up couldn't be better ???????

anyway. It's really hard to even get four stars out of the guardian. All the other artists they reviewed got two or three that day :D 

It seems that the reviewer docked points for AC/DC being sexist, and for Axl and Angus not sharing enough chemistry and for Axl being (ironically) a hired Gun.

5 hours ago, The Archer said:

It seems that the reviewer docked points for AC/DC being sexist, and for Axl and Angus not sharing enough chemistry and for Axl being (ironically) a hired Gun.

6 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

They just dont wanna give it ... 5/5 ... not to them ,,, it would be right... not gonna give any against-every-avlible-odds  happening that ... gotta fint something wrong..or at least look like they did

I don't think anyone wants to say it's perfect bc all the members of the ACDC people know aren't there, but they are saying this couldn't have worked out any better, and the shows are world class. 

Axl has absolutely destroyed this European leg, I think he's gained all the respect in the world for what he and ACDC accomplished 

• Like 2

This is absolute crap from Alan Niven but deserves to be posted here.

Thanks and credit to@Silent Jay for posting the original transcript and @Blackstar for posting the video, in the D&N section - 

Former Guns N' Roses manager Alan Niven says he can't help feeling there are great similarities between Axl Rose and late boxing icon Muhammad Ali.

He tells Mitch Lafon: "I saw them both as anti-authoritarian. I saw them both as champions of individuality, champions of the worth of every individual.
"In terms of fame, I think there was a similarity - they were both heavyweights. I think their fame qualified them as major citizens of the world."

The manger then added that seeing Rose in AC/DC highly disappointed him, saying: "I'm looking at what Ali stood for and what he was prepared to give up and the spirit of the man, and at the same time I'm really disappointed to see Axl playing in AC/DC and running around under a pair devil horns.
"There's an old maxim that I've always tried to follow, which is: 'Never defend the devil.'
"So why celebrate going in his footsteps? The superficial thing is that while Ali is obviously ascending his stairway to heaven, I think I'm watching Axl really unfortunately on his highway to hell, and that's really sad to me. I always thought he was on a spiritual quest, but I don't think it ends up with being on stage with someone like Angus Young."

Niven then focused on Richard Ramirez, aka Night Stalker, a serial killer, rapist, and burglar who left an AC/DC hat at one of the crime scenes. Although Richard's connection with the band is quite feeble and mostly driven by media sensationalism, Alan went on to say:
"When you live through the Night Prowler in Los Angeles, it really bothered me and I really wondered what they thought about someone crawling through people's windows, raping and murdering, taking their song as his theme song and it being ascribed to him to describe him. I find that thoroughly disturbing and really troublesome!
"And yet the stage which AC/DC have right now has a pair of devil horns on it! I'm sorry, call me simple, call me simplistic, but to me - I look at a simple message there and go, 'That's fucked up!'"

Alan added about Axl later during the chat: "There was once upon a time when I though he was going to become a great rock 'n' roll statesman. When he wrote 'Civil War' I was thrilled, absolutely thrilled. I thought this was a major step to him joining the pantheon of the greats who inspired me to be involved in this. Your Dylans, your Lennons, your Marleys. And I thoroughly believed that my friend from Lafayette was going to join that pantheon.
"So it disappoints me to see him running around the stage under devil horns. He wasted his prime, he could have been of great significance in guiding people's states of mind."

Video -

Edited by The Archer

1 hour ago, The Archer said:

This is absolute crap from Alan Niven but deserves to be posted here.

Thanks and credit to@Silent Jay for posting the original transcript and @Blackstar for posting the video, in the D&N section - 

Former Guns N' Roses manager Alan Niven says he can't help feeling there are great similarities between Axl Rose and late boxing icon Muhammad Ali.

He tells Mitch Lafon: "I saw them both as anti-authoritarian. I saw them both as champions of individuality, champions of the worth of every individual.
"In terms of fame, I think there was a similarity - they were both heavyweights. I think their fame qualified them as major citizens of the world."

The manger then added that seeing Rose in AC/DC highly disappointed him, saying: "I'm looking at what Ali stood for and what he was prepared to give up and the spirit of the man, and at the same time I'm really disappointed to see Axl playing in AC/DC and running around under a pair devil horns.
"There's an old maxim that I've always tried to follow, which is: 'Never defend the devil.'
"So why celebrate going in his footsteps? The superficial thing is that while Ali is obviously ascending his stairway to heaven, I think I'm watching Axl really unfortunately on his highway to hell, and that's really sad to me. I always thought he was on a spiritual quest, but I don't think it ends up with being on stage with someone like Angus Young."

Niven then focused on Richard Ramirez, aka Night Stalker, a serial killer, rapist, and burglar who left an AC/DC hat at one of the crime scenes. Although Richard's connection with the band is quite feeble and mostly driven by media sensationalism, Alan went on to say:
"When you live through the Night Prowler in Los Angeles, it really bothered me and I really wondered what they thought about someone crawling through people's windows, raping and murdering, taking their song as his theme song and it being ascribed to him to describe him. I find that thoroughly disturbing and really troublesome!
"And yet the stage which AC/DC have right now has a pair of devil horns on it! I'm sorry, call me simple, call me simplistic, but to me - I look at a simple message there and go, 'That's fucked up!'"

Alan added about Axl later during the chat: "There was once upon a time when I though he was going to become a great rock 'n' roll statesman. When he wrote 'Civil War' I was thrilled, absolutely thrilled. I thought this was a major step to him joining the pantheon of the greats who inspired me to be involved in this. Your Dylans, your Lennons, your Marleys. And I thoroughly believed that my friend from Lafayette was going to join that pantheon.
"So it disappoints me to see him running around the stage under devil horns. He wasted his prime, he could have been of great significance in guiding people's states of mind."

Video -

I read this earlier.  I am amazed at who is coming out of the woodwork to get attention. Alan Niven is one of them what an absolute idiot.  If he can't see that Axl singing in AC/DC hasn't been a good thing for his career it speaks volumes as to why he was fired..

• Like 2

Thanks to @tajandreas for finding and posting this interview with Dale Skerseth, the production manager for AC/DC who also works with Guns N' Roses and will be with guns at the Detroit show, in the Dusseldorf thread. The bit about Axl starts at 2:42 and is really cool - Dale shares some insight about how Axl has been working with the band, how some new songs can be expected, about the treatment he's been getting for his foot, how he's singing for AC/DC with 'honor' and how he's doing it for Angus and the band, and also for Brian and Bon.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, metalms said:

I read this earlier.  I am amazed at who is coming out of the woodwork to get attention. Alan Niven is one of them what an absolute idiot.  If he can't see that Axl singing in AC/DC hasn't been a good thing for his career it speaks volumes as to why he was fired..

wow!!! .. is that....for real?..... and....what the hell....does it mean???

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

It doesn't surprise me that Gene advocates merging big bands to keep the money coming in :lol:

Really though, was a nice thing of him to say, he doesn't often say nice things haha especially about other big name rockers :) 

2 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

That's a great little promotional video. Is this another time Angus has mentioned being able to mix up songs with Axl? He seems quite taken with the ginger one doesn't he? its quite sweet :) 

It angers ACDC fans bc they want to know why Brian couldn't do the older songs. My guess would be Brian didn't have much interest with them where as Axl likely came in and really wanted to do some more Bon stuff 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Rock Hopper said:

they need to do one more AXL/DC tour. Vegas, Sacramento, SF or Reno MUST be one of the cities they play in! pretty please?? *sprinkles magic dust to help make this happen* :D

• Like 1