Who is the highest selling American band of all-time?

A lot of the best bands are like these chitlin circuit combos that did RnB and race music in the 50s and 60s and into the 70s.  James Browns band comes to mind, Maceo and Melvin Parker, Clyde Stubblefield, Bobby Byrd, Fred Wesley, these guys could piss all over any band going.  Or some of the bands backing these old blues guys, not much was made of the bands in them days but some of the tightest collectives in American popular music history were backing people like Howlin' Wolf and Muddy Waters.  I mean Hubert Sumlin, Little Walter, stars in their own right...and they're backing these fuckin' guys up.  My man Jimi Hendrix was basically a pick up guitarist for the vast majority of his career touting for work, imagine that as a fuckin' artists pool to choose from.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Graeme...NO!  Just no, thats all, no.  Now do you understand exactly what I said?  Repeat it back to me.

You're talking about bands of musicians that were hard-working, tight as fuck and where all of them were stars in their own right? Look no further.  I get it if their music's not to your taste, but I don't see how you could argue that they were a powerhouse of writing, recording and performing...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J Dog said:

I never could get into the Eagles. Kind of boring.

THANK YOU!!!!!!  Finally, someone with some fuckin' taste!  The fuckin' Eagles, thats getting into Stevie Nicks and Joni Mitchell territory, limp noodle music.  Limp meandering go nowhere music with no balls.

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Eagles are not really a proper hippy band though, but more an 'easy listening west coast rock band' like Fleetwood Mac or Journey.

Hippie in the particular punk context that i mean it just means all that soft post free love generation limp meandering meaningless...bollocks.  Wishy-washy.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Hippie in the particular punk context that i mean it just means all that soft post free love generation limp meandering meaningless...bollocks.  Wishy-washy.  

Hippydom was dead by the mid '70s. Acts now realised, far be it from being continuously fleeced by the companies, you could actually make huge amounts of money from music, and besides Vietnam and civil rights was over. Also Cocaine had replaced weed and LSD. We were entering the dawn of the Yuppie infact.

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Hippydom was dead by the mid '70s. Acts now realised, far be it from being continuously fleeced by the companies, you could actually make huge amounts of money from music, and besides Vietnam and civil rights was over. Also Cocaine had replaced weed and LSD. We were entering the dawn of the Yuppie infact.

Exactly but the whole punk idea was that those folks WERE the hippies, its where all the promise of hippiedom ended up.  A lot of em ended Record company execs too.

Just now, Len Cnut said:

Exactly but the whole punk idea was that those folks WERE the hippies, its where all the promise of hippiedom ended up.  A lot of em ended Record company execs too.

Then your punks are wrong sir.

Probably the original hippies Punks would find more admirable, beyond an obsession with 'love and peace' and a certain wishy-washyness. Both hippies and punks alike, in their different ways, were essentially nihilistic, anti-corporate and critical of the western establishment and various aspects of the establishment such as foreign policy.

1 hour ago, J Dog said:

Eagles, Fleetwood, Journey, can't get into any of that soft rock, easy listening stuff.

Agreed 1000000%, puts my fuckin brain to sleep like summary execution.

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Then your punks are wrong sir.

Probably the original hippies Punks would find more admirable, beyond an obsession with 'love and peace' and a certain wishy-washyness. Both hippies and punks alike, in their different ways, were essentially nihilistic, anti-corporate and critical of the western establishment and various aspects of the establishment such as foreign policy.

They couldn't've been that wrong, you basically said what i was saying, they all became the yuppies of the future.  Its also worth remember that 90% of that flower power shit, musically i mean, was manufactured.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, J Dog said:

Eagles, Fleetwood, Journey, can't get into any of that soft rock, easy listening stuff.

The original late 60's  Peter Green Fleetwood Mac was an incredible blues band and definitely not soft rock. Check out the live from the  Boston Tea Party albums if you have never heard them......