New Richard Fortus Interview -- Discusses Status Of New Music

9 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I think that part of the problem was the GnR name combined with Axl's idiosyncrasy and mental state as well as with the state of the music industry.

Maybe if Axl had chosen to go with another name and move on from GnR he would have released more music (not a whole lot, but definitely more than one album in 25 years).

I get that the whole ''GnR releasing music'' expectation/thing has gotten too ridiculous and that is his own doing obviously, but as an artist he could have had so many ways to share his music. He still could have hold on to the GnR name even if he released solo albums. Or if he has such an aversion to releasing albums he could have released songs through his own website without all the hassle, like a lot of musicians do nowadays. 

When you look at for example the great Chris Cornell, who was even younger than him, the fans can at least be happy he released so much music in his lifetime. Five solo albums. Six Soundgarden albums. Three Audioslave albums. One Temple of the Dog album. And then you still have all the B-sides, outtakes and soundtrack stuff.

That gotta bug him... he has the reputation as one of the best rock singers of the last thirty years, but the quantity of his output is a complete joke. And his voice isn't getting better either... he wasted so many years when his voice was still very good. 

Edited by EvanG

7 hours ago, Apollo said:

Axl could easily release music if he had wanted to. This is 100% all in him  

Release the remaining 25-40 CD songs on ITunes for 99 cents each.   All at once, two per month, whatever. SHARE THE MUSIC WITH YOUE FANS. Axl doesn't need the loot, but the iTunes money would be a nice bonus/gift to the band members that created those songs. 

The current lineup should have been writing on tour and then hit the studio during the long break they just had.

This lineup should have released an album during this tour. Even an EP. Hell, during their break they could have recorded four new songs and then either four studio versions of all the covers they play (Seeker, riff raff, etc) OR pick their four favorite current live versions (slash's tale on Better, coma, etc). I just suggest the EP because they could have knocked it out very quickly. 

In terms of marketing and sales - it's an absolute blown opportunity to not have had some sort of material being released at the start of this mini-reunion. That's when the love and Q factor was off the charts. A new GnR album released at the start of this tour would have sold 5-6 million copies. But the longer they wait.....that number will go down. And the longer they wait the less chance we get an album, as that big three relationship will split apart again.  

Any band that cared about their fans and had semi-competent  management would have released a new album to go with their reunion tour. 

tl/dr - If Axl wanted to share music with his fans he would have shared music with his fans.

I still think it's about having a chance to make art. Once you start selling off your stock in a garage sale you sort lose that. In someways leaving as pure has value if you still think it's on. But I guess if it's over, then chocks away!

19 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

The more we wait, the less a new album will sell.

At this rate, digital downloads and physical copies will be dead by 2020.

I mean good luck to them because they won't be able to hit platinum status with solely streaming services.

I guess the market dictates touring. But maybe something will change, but it looks difficult to haveva big record like before. It would be something in the rock world though like the last Metallica record. Reliving the UYI era. 

Just now, wasted said:

I guess the market dictates touring. But maybe something will change, but it looks difficult to haveva big record like before. It would be something in the rock world though like the last Metallica record. Reliving the UYI era. 

Metallica had lots more products to sell this decade to keep the Metallica market alive. But keep in mind that 1/3 off their U.S. platinum status new album Hardwired, is owed to a concert ticket/album bundle sale promotion.

So until this current lifetime thing ends plus a solid two years hiatus, we won't be able to enjoy a new album.

All I know is I get immensely bored with bands who do not put out material. I find it so lazy and sort of pathetic. Even if you put out a few crap albums, at least you are trying and there is something of interest to discuss.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

Metallica had lots more products to sell this decade to keep the Metallica market alive. But keep in mind that 1/3 off their U.S. platinum status new album Hardwired, is owed to a concert ticket/album bundle sale promotion.

So until this current lifetime thing ends plus a solid two years hiatus, we won't be able to enjoy a new album.

I was thinking that you don't need more albums, you just sell more of the ones you already have out. Hence the UYI style tour now sells more UYI copies than a new album would sell? 

13 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

All I know is I get immensely bored with bands who do not put out material. I find it so lazy and sort of pathetic. Even if you put out a few crap albums, at least you are trying and there is something of interest to discuss.

For the most part, but GNR is the exception as they still have that mystique. I'm bored of the bands that keep putting out albums. I treat ACDC like GNR in a way. They have a greatest hits I want to see live. But Guns have this other level where they did and could still release a really great new album. With DC it's more like a good album that is fine but nothing special put on Powerage. 

6 minutes ago, wasted said:

For the most part, but GNR is the exception as they still have that mystique. I'm bored of the bands that keep putting out albums. I treat ACDC like GNR in a way. They have a greatest hits I want to see live. But Guns have this other level where they did and could still release a really great new album. With DC it's more like a good album that is fine but nothing special put on Powerage. 

I'm the reverse. Neil Young, my favourite rock artist, puts out an album per year. There is always something of interest there.

1 minute ago, wasted said:

I was thinking that you don't need more albums, you just sell more of the ones you already have out. Hence the UYI style tour now sells more UYI copies than a new album would sell? 

Only Greatest Hits and Appetite For Destruction sell. UYI became quite obscure.

I think that was one of the laziest thing they've ever done, definitely a lost opportunity. If they had a new album ready to go with the tour last year, even if it's crap, it would have immediately been a success compared to Chinese Democracy, and they could have sold as much albums as tickets.

The odds for another reunion tour with Izzy and Steven in 2020 are greater than a new album/tour cycle. It's too late. After all, the dead. 

17 minutes ago, wasted said:

For the most part, but GNR is the exception as they still have that mystique. I'm bored of the bands that keep putting out albums. I treat ACDC like GNR in a way. They have a greatest hits I want to see live. But Guns have this other level where they did and could still release a really great new album. 

There was a mystique surrounding Axl when he was playing the reclusive artist living in the Hollywood Hills and barely being seen in public. Now he's the middle aged guy playing 30 year old songs every night.

I agree that they could still release a great album, but the thing is that they, or Axl, have been able to release great albums for all these years but they haven't and that is where the problem lies for me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I'm the reverse. Neil Young, my favourite rock artist, puts out an album per year. There is always something of interest there.

True, Dylan for me. Maybe it's just the hard rock bands, they do it perfectly a few times and that's all I want. But then there's a few bands that expand it like Zepp or Doors, they don't need 40 records. A lot of 90s bands are like that, they don't have that many records - Faith no More don't. but each record will last you 5-10 years but it's more a certain thing they do. With Dylan each one is the same but different, it's lighter thing. Together Through Life is summer in New Orleans feel but Sol Invictus is a more universal statement so it lasts longer. For me anyway. Sol is broad and deep, Together is niche and shallow. 

Just now, wasted said:

True, Dylan for me. Maybe it's just the hard rock bands, they do it perfectly a few times and that's all I want. But then there's a few bands that expand it like Zepp or Doors, they don't need 40 records. A lot of 90s bands are like that, they don't have that many records - Faith no More don't. but each record will last you 5-10 years but it's more a certain thing they do. With Dylan each one is the same but different, it's lighter thing. Together Through Life is summer in New Orleans feel but Sol Invictus is a more universal statement so it lasts longer. For me anyway. Sol is broad and deep, Together is niche and shallow. 

Zeppelin and The Doors put out tons of albums though in their short (compared to Guns) existence!

5 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

I think that was one of the laziest thing they've ever done, definitely a lost opportunity.

UYI's have some of the Guns' greatest songs, but there's also so much filler there. They lack cohesiveness. To me UYI's sound more like batches of songs rather than cohesive albums. ChiDem, which I love, sounds at times a bit cut-and-paste-y, but at least it feels like an album.

I sure hope this line-up puts out a new album. Because they're older, wiser and sober, they could really make something that lasts. And it doesn't have to be the greatest record of all time. It could also be "just" a good album. Couple of epics, couple of acoustic songs and some rockers with good and meaningful lyrics.

I mean, that's my dream album, but at this point I would take anything from them :lol:

3 minutes ago, EvanG said:

There was a mystique surrounding Axl when he was playing the reclusive artist living in the Hollywood Hills and barely being seen in public. Now he's the middle aged guy playing 30 year old songs every night.

I agree that they could still release a great album, but the thing is that they, or Axl, have been able to release great albums for all these years but they haven't and that is where the problem lies for me.

Not truly great, that comes from true soul orvwhatever, you can't manufacture it. That's why Zepp, Doors, even Pistols, Guns are better than some others. Even Beatles have more special albums than the Stones. After a while it's a cartoon, it's still fun but youndon't feel Don't Stop like Brown Sugar. 

It doesn't really matter and is personal taste anyway, I just hold Zepp up as special, whereas DC on Stiff Upper Lip it's lost something, it's not as immortal as Let there be Rock. 

Mystique management it's a real thing. 

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Zeppelin and The Doors put out tons of albums though in their short (compared to Guns) existence!

We've had this discussion before. For me the time elapsed means nothing. Guns are going deep into to over time to kick the winning field goal. 

2 minutes ago, wasted said:

Not truly great, that comes from true soul orvwhatever, you can't manufacture it. That's why Zepp, Doors, even Pistols, Guns are better than some others. Even Beatles have more special albums than the Stones. After a while it's a cartoon, it's still fun but youndon't feel Don't Stop like Brown Sugar. 

It doesn't really matter and is personal taste anyway, I just hold Zepp up as special, whereas DC on Stiff Upper Lip it's lost something, it's not as immortal as Let there be Rock. 

Mystique management it's a real thing. 

We've had this discussion before. For me the time elapsed means nothing. Guns are going deep into to over time to kick the winning field goal. 

Delusional.

1 minute ago, jekylhyde said:

I sure hope this line-up puts out a new album. Because they're older, wiser and sober.

That's exactly why we won't get a new album.

And Chinese Democracy was even less cohesive than the Illusions, the album was giant roller coaster.

2 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

That's exactly why we won't get a new album.

And Chinese Democracy was even less cohesive than the Illusions, the album was giant roller coaster.

I thought it was more focused. UYI is schizoid stylistically, with very little blurring, whereas I kind of feel the nu metal on SOD and Catcher - maybe one of the flaws of it, nothing was one thing, everything was something else. If SOD got the UYI production it might have gone down better with rock fans. But theres a lot of styles on UYI and no attempt to make NOv Rain makes sense alongside DTJ. So each one stands alone. 

33 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

I think that was one of the laziest thing they've ever done, definitely a lost opportunity. If they had a new album ready to go with the tour last year, even if it's crap, it would have immediately been a success compared to Chinese Democracy, and they could have sold as much albums as tickets.

The odds for another reunion tour with Izzy and Steven in 2020 are greater than a new album/tour cycle. It's too late. After all, the dead. 

UYI became obscure, so they brought back the band to play Coma and even Izzy to play 14 Years. So sell more UYI. 

But GH has been selling. So the label are happy. 

So the band can just chill with the tour money until they work out the next big record. 

I wonder what the rationale behind no record up front like VH was. Maybe they were only just on the same page, but VH don't seem that close? 

Edited by wasted

54 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

YOU LIKE NEIL YOUNG?! I don't think I've ever seen you mention that! :lol:

(I kid, I kid)

I totally get the reference in this instance. I feel the same way. I was telling that to @ZoSoRoserecently actually. I was like "If GN'R releases something, great. If they don't, great. I have so many other artists that I'm into that release music regularly, that it really doesn't matter to me all that much"

4 minutes ago, wasted said:

I thought it was more focused. UYI is schizoid stylistically, with very little blurring, whereas I kind of feel the nu metal on SOD and Catcher - maybe one of the flaws of it, nothing was one thing, everything was something else. If SOD got the UYI production it might have gone down better with rock fans. But theres a lot of styles on UYI and no attempt to make NOv Rain makes sense alongside DTJ. So each one stands alone. 

Not really sure because the Illusions were written like a classic rock album, very familiar sounding, whereas elements on Chinese were huge turn-offs. It's quite difficult to find a more repulsive intro than the intro on Shackler or Scraped, the long-ass intro on Riad or the title track, the intro on Better, the intro on I.R.S., the french horns! It's like everytime Axl found a way to make the album feel like intense nausea. Lack of choruses etc.

7 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

Not really sure because the Illusions were written like a classic rock album, very familiar sounding, whereas elements on Chinese were huge turn-offs. It's quite difficult to find a more repulsive intro than the intro on Shackler or Scraped, the long-ass intro on Riad or the title track, the intro on Better, the intro on I.R.S., the french horns! It's like everytime Axl found a way to make the album feel like intense nausea. Lack of choruses etc.

Those are standard nu metal intros etc. as much as AFD is full of hard rock and punk elements. 

UYI was more standard production and had elements from some really popular bands in rock. So it was more likely to be popular. CD is a challenge, almost an musical oxymoron. But each track had a balance of elements across the record, UYI jumped around more clearly. 

• Like 1

Just now, Silent Jay said:

What you find repulsive happens to be interesting to others. If you compare CD to UYI, it isn't too familiar sounding, that's for sure... yet, it manages to be far more interesting than UYI.