"Catcher In The Rye" Discussion Thread

AnEskimo

It's clear.... this song is very old....

It must be from 1999...., and this is the reason why Chinese Democracy was rejected on 1999 or 2000.

It really sucks...., and it has no power....

I hope this song is not on Chinese Democracy.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's clear.... this song is very old....

It must be from 1999...., and this is the reason why Chinese Democracy was rejected on 1999 or 2000.

It really sucks...., and it has no power....

I hope this song is not on Chinese Democracy.

Listen to it a few times man... and the song will transition from verse to chorus better once it is completed.

Not very impressed. I think it's the weakest of all of the CD tracks we've heard. I'd rather have Silkwoms, Rhiad, or even a re-recorderd version of Oh My God on the CD before this one. B-Side material. Sounds like a work in progress that needs some editing-didn't seem to flow too well. Final version could always surprise us though.

I quite like the song actually. I imagine it would be better performed live. Ive also cleaned it up a bit to reduce all the hiss and that. I know a few people have also done this but to save them being bombarded by PM's i thought i would share the load.

Orion

Well,i'm listening to the song right now,and i love it!!

Beautiful lyrics,nice intro,great guitar solo...

And i adore when Axl sings in that way..

:D

I'm crying...

Very mellow song..Amazing!! :wub:

You can feel the Queen influence on the piano..

I waited ten %$##@!!*%%^#$^^! years for this????

granted the thing is a demo but the word on the street was that these songs were going to take rock back to the top where it belongs. Perhaps... I remain optimistic. Yes they are unique and "interesting" sounding but hardly the GNR we've all been honing in on. I thought "Madagascar"and The Blues held promise I.R.S has a remarkable scream but these other three are ??????

Ii'm half way through it. It's unbelievably like Queen but some of the chord changes are like the Beatles. It's really good. It sounds like it's about the shooting of John Lennon. The ''NaNaNaNa'' bit is sooooo Beatles.

I waited ten %$##@!!*%%^#$^^! years for this????

granted the thing is a demo but the word on the street was that these songs were going to take rock back to the top where it belongs. Perhaps... I remain optimistic. Yes they are unique and "interesting" sounding but hardly the GNR we've all been honing in on. I thought "Madagascar"and The Blues held promise I.R.S has a remarkable scream but these other three are ??????

Better, TWAT and IRS are great songs IMO.

it really sucks, i agree... the only amazing ones are better, blues and mad...

btw, does anyone agree that the lyrics haven't got anything to do with the book.

What did you expect it to be, reciting chapter 11 of the book or something? And yes, the lyrics do have something to do with the book... the lyrics are based on the assasination of John Lennon, and his killer Mark David Chapman. Chapman was obsessed with the book "Catcher in the Rye." If I'm not right on that, I'd like to know what the lyrics really do mean... because thats how I interpret them.

And while I don't agree with people comparing it to November Rain, or Estranged... its not "My World" either...

Edited by bdinan