An Open Letter From Merck

madison

Why the heck was this censored at HTGTH? Beyond me...

merck's letter.

Yes, why?

Because it wasn't 100% flattering to Axl?

It's funny...because Merck closes his letter as:

"I have no regrets. I believe Chinese Democracy is one of the best albums ever made, Axl Rose is one of the greatest vocalists and front men and the new Guns N' Roses (which kicks the shit out of the old) is one of the greatest bands. What we accomplished in 2006 only hints at what is to come.

I believe in Axl Rose. I am the artist's manager and it is my responsibility and job to take the heat. I promise you Chinese Democracy is worth it and you should keep the faith. I will walk away knowing I have done my best and that next year will see Axl recognized not only as a great singer and rock icon but as one of the greatest artists of all time."

I don't see how even Jarmo himself could decide to censor that.

Oh well B)

Im getting annoyed that everyone (including Axl himself) thinks of Axl as the Master of Musical Genuis or some shit. We should just fall all over ourselves to do what he demands when hes having an inspirational moment. When that rare moment arrives anything that comes out of him is pure gold and we must gather around with our recording devices, our cameras and our paint brushes before it disappears. Yeah and doves fly out of his asshole as well. Ok that was a joke.

But truly - ok he wrote November Rain and he was part of making one of the best rock records. But a lot of his stuff in my opinion is over indulged and bloated. Thats why I really really hope CD proves me wrong. Because I think hes a fucken awesome singer and performer but hes never impressed me with his songwriting abilities. YET.

I still think Izzy and Slash created the brilliance of AFD. So flame me.

Edited by blackvelvet

Im getting annoyed that everyone (including Axl himself) thinks of Axl as the Master of Musical Genuis or some shit. We should just fall all over ourselves to do what he demands when hes having an inspirational moment. When that rare moment arrives anything that comes out of him is pure gold and we must gather around with our recording devices, our cameras and our paint brushes before it disappears. Yeah and doves fly out of his asshole as well. Ok that was a joke.

But truly - ok he wrote November Rain and he was part of making one of the best rock records. But a lot of his stuff in my opinion is over indulged and bloated. Thats why I really really hope CD proves me wrong. Because I think hes a fucken awesome singer and performer but hes never impressed me with his songwriting abilities. YET.

I still think Izzy and Slash created the brilliance of AFD. So flame me.

OK, I'll bite on your flamebait. It wasn't just the guitar-playing that was different and set GN'R apart from other glam and "hair" metal bands of the 1980s. It was Axl fuckin' Rose's vitriol and passion that he sang with. Axl was absolutely incredible and still is even now. If it was just about guitars, then AFD wouldn't have been what it was my friend. I hate to break it to ya, but there have been plenty of great guitar albums before AFD (some of which were actually better). Pretty much everything Jimmy Page put out with Led Zeppelin, as well as Hendrix, Clapton, etc.

I just feel that it was a combination of the guitars and Axl's vocal style rather than one or the other. Either would have made for a kickass band on its own, but together the two sounds (Slash/Izzy's guitar work with Axl's vocals) proved to be absolutely lethal when it came to their competition. As their career bio on All Music Guide (I think it's on this one?) says, they flattened America with a steamroller. Slash and Izzy couldn't have done it without Axl. That's a fact. And Axl couldn't have done it without them either (which you've already stated).

As for Axl's bratty behavior, I completely agree. If he wants to pretend like he's some songwriting genius, then whatever. But I think most would say he's a good songwriter but nowhere near a great one. See Bob Dylan, Lennon/McCartney, Joni Mitchell, etc. for that. If Axl were as great of a songwriter as he thinks he is, then he wouldn't have felt a need to sing so many cover songs in his career. They're damn good covers for sure, but it still shows a lack of creativity. Hell, GN'R even put out a full album of cover songs for crying out loud. LOL.

Edited by GNRfan2008

So what type of work is left to be done to the album?

And what did he do that was so productive for 2-3 days after Inland Invasion.

Finishing Touches.

+ promotion, recording a video clip,...

exactly they need good promotion

Have you ever think, maybe, that some off the work done on CD is getting old...maybe the 3 days of productivite after inland invason meen that He wrote a couple off new songs...maybe the album is not done as much as we think it is...I really hope it is just finishing touches or promotion...but I don`t feel it...I think march 6 is gonna come and will have to wait again...

the new Guns N' Roses (which kicks the shit out of the old)

Stupid fuck!

I agree, what a stupid little motherfucker!

He didn't work with the old band, so he just shouldn't compare them. Also anyone who hasn't seen the old band live and compares that to the new hired fucks should shut up about it.

Still it's some news and that's better than nothing

Stupid fuck!

I agree, what a stupid little motherfucker!

He didn't work with the old band, so he just shouldn't compare them. Also anyone who hasn't seen the old band live and compares that to the new hired fucks should shut up about it.

Still it's some news and that's better than nothing

its a bit of sucking up in my opinion.

Not cool. :no:

But apart from that I'm too tired to read it properly.

+1

the old badn kicked the shit out of the new line up and that includes Axl. The old Axl (young Axl) kicks the shit out of the new (old Axl).

I believe the old and new band are both great. if they weren't, they wouldn't be on a stage.

The old band wrote 20 good tunes and crapped out. They new band, (all 20 of them over they years) I'm sure

will have some great material as well.

The problem I see now with getting any type of album out in a timely manner is that Axl wants to sleep all day and stay up all night which is the opposite of everyone else's schedule.

WTF. -- Get out of bed dude with the rest of the world and get to work.

When the work is done, then you can sleep all day and stay up all night.

Because of this I'm sure the band feels like hired guns. Musicians need an their mind clear and need to feel appreciated to write well. The others probably feel like "us and Axl" and not like "us" which I'm sure slows things down and usually always effects writing. The feeling needs to be as it was in the old days to strike swiftly with hot material.

I say finish up CD and get it out, then have some fun. Do it right on the next album.

With the calibur of musicians in Axl's arsenal, it should only take 2 months to bang out a good CD regardless of conflicting styles.

"great leaders are followed, dictators are left to fall."

yea, jmo & /rant off

Edited by Dervaj

The problem I see now with getting any type of album out in a timely manner is that Axl wants to sleep all day and stay up all night which is the opposite of everyone else's schedule.

WTF. -- Get out of bed dude with the rest of the world and get to work.

Actually, many if not most creative people work best at night. The mind is just at a different place. So Axl's hardly alone here.

But him having scheduled sessions and then not showing up is a huge problem and has to cause resentment from the others. If Axl has to work late night, that's fine. But then be there when you're supposed to be.

Edited by Turn_It_Up