Freddie Mercury Concert

about the upcoming official FM92-Tribute Blu-Ray:

"an SD Blu-ray – with upscaled standard definition"

so this aint high definition, why is that???

at least PC + KOHD might be superior quality compared to the circulating Laserdisc and VHS transfers though.

They're just saying they're doing the best job they can do with 1992 video technology, if they had filmed it, it would have gone through processing to HD. The audio quality is straight from the multitrack masters, so that's probably going to sound great, and I think they were broadcasting the concert in surround at the time.

This probably took longer to work on than they thought, it probably should have been out for the 20th anniversary of the concert.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no no, they had VERY high quality film gear for FM92 Tribute. they could easily re-transfer from the analog video masters:

35mm/70mm analog film transfers can be captured at standard definition (480 lines), high definition (1080 lines) or 2K (1556 lines).

doing it the right way costs time and money. to me it appears they have transfered the whole show in standard definition (480) lines back in 2002(?) for the 10th anniversary DVD release, which included much much restauration and editing work. now they seem to have got the rights to include the bands' performances in the beginning (Metallica, GN'R etc.) but dont want to spend time and money for a high definition re-transfer and post production because of the questionable win situation out of digital products these days (also its not a "new" release, just more of a re-release, so dont expect too high buyers).
audio is a different scenarion as they've had it in LPCM already on the DVD release in 2002(?). so now they probably just run it through some "loudness war" filters, thats all the work.

but they did nice video quality work on the dvd already, so i'm looking forward to upgrades of GN'R PC and KOHD performances!

Lim, so are you saying that if they wanted, we could get a 1080p transfer?

yes, 100% !! the analog masters are still there in quality even better than Blu-Ray!

main problem is they'd have to re-transfer and edit all the stuff! if they'd really want to give us an (for todays standards) outmaxed quality Blu-Ray transfer they could do it. sadly it appears motivation for time and cost efforts with a not-so-good-looking-financial-win-situation stops this. so they choose the easy way to sell us an fake Blu-Ray....luckily with the 2x GN'R songs we only had on private transfers from Laserdiscs and VHS yet. so at least those 2 should be a killer upgrade!

by the way all UYI Proshots and even MTV Ritz'88 could be transfered in HIGH definition! basically all whats done on film 35mm/70mm can be done!

just watch for very old movies on "true" HD Blu Rays being released everywhere!

Well, are you sure the show was shot on FILM and not on VIDEO? The fact that it was an enormous event is by no means a clue. Live Aid for example was only video, therefore no Full HD/4k transfer possible.

Lim, so are you saying that if they wanted, we could get a 1080p transfer?

yes, 100% !! the analog masters are still there in quality even better than Blu-Ray!

main problem is they'd have to re-transfer and edit all the stuff! if they'd really want to give us an (for todays standards) outmaxed quality Blu-Ray transfer they could do it. sadly it appears motivation for time and cost efforts with a not-so-good-looking-financial-win-situation stops this. so they choose the easy way to sell us an fake Blu-Ray....luckily with the 2x GN'R songs we only had on private transfers from Laserdiscs and VHS yet. so at least those 2 should be a killer upgrade!

by the way all UYI Proshots and even MTV Ritz'88 could be transfered in HIGH definition! basically all whats done on film 35mm/70mm can be done!

just watch for very old movies on "true" HD Blu Rays being released everywhere!

Incredible information. What about the audio? I'm interested on that as well, "We Will Rock You" with Axl should sound incredible with DTS-HD audio.

And yeah, Criterion released M, a 1931 movie and their transfer was crystal clear but like you said, that just depends on what they want to do and the effort they're willing to put on.

PS: Are you Limulus? :o

@EvH:
i'd bet about everything that the FM92 Tribute show was shot on very high equipment where we could get a "true" HD transfer from.

@Nosaj Thing:
yes, thats me, still around ;)

Audio is not that tricky. basically they had transfered and mastered it (at least) on 16bit/48khz for the DVD release in 2002(?) already.
so that'd be some fast job to work on. i just hope they did GOOD work on and not stupid "loudness war" stuff. for info, check here:

that being said i'm not sure if they put even 24bit audio on there? if so it just could be upscaled, too. i'm too lazy to look into those issue more into right now. time will tell.....i'm sure we're getting good viewers feedback on video and audio short after the release in september.

(hey, Axl.....there is a release coming up WITH GN'R!!!!!)

Guys, I think you're pushing your hopes way too high.

How does it come that old movies are getting new transfers for HD medium ( Blu-Ray)? Because movies are shot on FILM. Which means that when a new medium is launched, you can go back to the original negatives, make a scan at whatever resolution you want (Full HD, 2k, 4k which has been for the last couple of years the industry standard), clean it and when you need it, put it on the resolution of your media (in case of Blu Ray, 1080p). That's how old movies get wonderful Blu Ray transfers : Psycho, Spartacus, Lawrence of Arabia, the Criterion Collection as a whole. Of couse the quality depends on the amount of work put in the transfer (which basically means in the cleaning of the high res scan). But work is useless if all you have -and it's the case on the vast majority of "old" concerts is not film negatives. Most of them were shot in VIDEO. That means you get only a transfer at a fixed resolution that cannot be "bettered", if you will. And that was the case for big events with lots of high tech material. Queen's two legendary shows at Wembley were shot on Video : the concert would only benefit a little from a Blu Ray release. Same as Live Aid : video. Yes the Montreal or Budapest shows look great but guess what : they were shot on film; the negatives were scanned, cleaned and even color re-graded. Concerning Guns, I'm pretty sure for example that the Paris PPW 92 show was video as well, because it was broadcasted simultaneously. The Tokyo shows don't look like film either.

The FM tribute was shot on video. I'm sure of it. The Standard def Blu release is not due to lazy work from Eagle Vision (who always release great music Blus, BTW) but to the material they have. The concert was shot on video, deal with it. It will rever look as good as the first Disney Blus that were high rez scanned and cleaned; or as Quo Vadis. It will maybe look a little better than the 10th anniversary DVD because the Upscale would have been done on the disc and not processed by your player or you TV, but that's it.

Concerning sound quality, yes maybe we'll get an uncompressed or at least a lossless surround track but there was already an uncompressed stereo track on the latest DVD release (LPCM format). Maybe we'll get a higher bitrate for the stereo track but I doubt it. The main problem of the show is not sound quality in terms of fidelity, but in terms of mixing and mastering. The current version is brickwalled as hell.

Hope that helped.

Edited by EvH

Queen Wembley was 1986, right? the FM92 Tribute was a one-time-only event with multiple big stars on there, also broadcasted live (on PPV at least) in several countries. i'd still stick to my theory! but in the end i'm sure Queen fans would have gotten more info already??!

Queen Wembley was 1986, right? the FM92 Tribute was a one-time-only event with multiple big stars on there, also broadcasted live (on PPV at least) in several countries. i'd still stick to my theory! but in the end i'm sure Queen fans would have gotten more info already??!

You don't understand - it became increasingly popular in the 80s and 90s to shoot everything using video cameras as opposed to film cameras.

If the Freddie Mercury Tribute *was* shot using film cameras, but edited and archived on video tape, Eagle Rock would have to go back and find all the individual film reels for each camera that was shooting that day (if they even still exist) and transfer each reel/sequence each shot to match the video feed. That would take a ridiculous amount of time.

Eagle Rock did that very long, tedious process with Peter Gabriel's "Secret World" concert (converting 16mm reels for a Blu Ray release) and they put a documentary about the process on Youtube:

I'm a Queen fan myself so I know the respective dates. Live Aid was broadcasted; it was far a bigger event than the FM tribute and it was...video. The GNR 1992 Paris show was a PPW and it was...video. A broadcasted show has to be video. That's a fact. It has nothing to do with the importance of the event : if it's broadcasted, then it's video and can't be later scanned at a higher res.

I think I explained the rest in my previous post, I am respectly confident in my "theory". And if you read a few message boards (QueenZone is one of them), people seem to agree.

Edited by EvH

Thanks for the vid Seeker, I always like to see these remastering videos.

I'm a Queen fan myself so I know the respective dates. Live Aid was broadcasted; it was far a bigger event than the FM tribute and it was...video. The GNR 1992 Paris show was a PPW and it was...video. A broadcasted show has to be video. That's a fact. It has nothing to do with the importance of the event : if it's broadcasted, then it's video and can't be later scanned at a higher res.
I think I explained the rest in my previous post, I am respectly confident in my "theory". And if you read a few message boards (QueenZone is one of them), people seem to agree.

So, in other words this is the best we can get? Then meh. I'll wait until it hits 5GBP on Amazon.

Thanks for the vid Seeker, I always like to see these remastering videos.

So, in other words this is the best we can get? Then meh. I'll wait until it hits 5GBP on Amazon.

Depends on the audio quality and mixing. I'm not holding my breath for unseen extras. I'll stick to my laserdisc version if this part of the release is disappointing.

what "video" details are you referring to please, i mean which format exactly?
there are different angles from the FM92 Tribute (if that helps?).

audio:

if the new video is similar video quality to the DVD release then this is great and an upgrade to all circulating versions. and if the new audio is brickwalled to death, then be sure some fans are overdubbing it with the laserdisc audio ;)

Ritz88 masters are in MTV's vaults.

Not necessarily - the raw unedited footage of the whole show leaked out after the broadcast, and Alan was the one who commissioned that concert be filmed along with Great White the same night (since both bands were managed by Alan). It's possible an independent company filmed the show and then MTV edited it for broadcast.

i understand your concern, but it doesnt change the fact that MTV filmed it. whatever happened with the masters...who knows? i've always thought there would be 25th anniversary re-broadcast/release last february, but then again....they'd have to get green light from the Axl camp?

You don't understand - it became increasingly popular in the 80s and 90s to shoot everything using video cameras as opposed to film cameras.

If the Freddie Mercury Tribute *was* shot using film cameras, but edited and archived on video tape, Eagle Rock would have to go back and find all the individual film reels for each camera that was shooting that day (if they even still exist) and transfer each reel/sequence each shot to match the video feed. That would take a ridiculous amount of time.

Eagle Rock did that very long, tedious process with Peter Gabriel's "Secret World" concert (converting 16mm reels for a Blu Ray release) and they put a documentary about the process on Youtube:

actually that was what i've said: time and money issues most likely will stop the true Blu-Ray release.

The Ritz was videotaped, it's possible they didn't use MTV's crew. I heard they were pretty tight with money so it wouldn't surprise me.

All MTV/VH1 etc master tapes go to Iron Mountain, but every country has different shows, so they probably have different storage facilities.

As far as filmed shows, you'd have to find out if their set at Giants Stadium was filmed from beginning to end, or they just filmed bits and pieces for "Paradise City". The WTTJ video was shot on film, but Marc's footage showed the cameras were being repositioned while GNR were playing to the crowd there.

Ritz88:
somewhere in between the songs (i think more towards the end of the show) you can hear a fan screaming "MTV sucks ass" near to a camera (shot from the crowd a little back). i do rate this as some kind of proof that MTV was filming the show. audio was "Westwood One" though.

what is "Iron Mountain"? some major vault or so?
as for Giants Stadium88....more likely they only shoot PC not the whole show.

Edited by Lim666

Ritz88:

somewhere in between the songs (i think more towards the end of the show) you can hear a fan screaming "MTV sucks ass" near to a camera (shot from the crowd a little back). i do rate this as some kind of proof that MTV was filming the show. audio was "Westwood One" though.

You're dumb and I'm sorry for you.

Westwood One was a local New York City radio station that broadcast the show.