The Official Blu-Ray Thread

Zint

Back on topic, blind-bought V/H/S yesterday. I've heard great things so I'm excited to watch it!

Let me know how was it!

Pretty good. Can't justify the $20 I spent on it, so I'd wait for it to go on sale. There's 6 short stories in the movie, each directed by someone else:

- Tape 56

- Amateur Night

- Second Honeymoon

- Tuesday The 17th

- The Sick Thing That Happened To Emily When She Was Younger

- 10/31/98

The first of those is the framework story, with each subsequent story being a tape watched by someone in the framework. Some are better than others; 10/31/98 is by and far the best IMO, while Second Honeymoon is the weakest. Some are a bit predictable, other have larger twists towards the end. The one warning I will give, and I don't really consider this a spoiler, but the whole movie I was waiting for something to tie all the stories together - nothing does other than the framework story being the genesis of the other 5. But well worth a watch :popcorn:

Just went on an Amazon spree buying up some discounted BRs:

Se7en

John Q. / The Pelican Brief / Training Day

Resevoir Dogs

Pulp Fiction

Dumb and Dumber

The American

Blood Diamond

American Psycho

Diabolique

All under $10, except for the last one (Criterion Collection).

Yeah, I've got a Comedy list lined up in my cart right now that I'm tempted to get :lol:

Nice picks, though. I've still yet to grab Reservoir Dogs.

You bought Magic Mike and don't have Reservoir Dogs? It's on sale everywhere for 5 bucks or less...god I hate you sometimes.

Hey, you nag me long enough about making the switch to Bluray, I reserve the right to give you shit for buying a movie about a male stripper and not take advantage of good deals.

That being said, Just bought MacGruber, Tropic Thunder, Collateral, Wayne's World, Truman Show, and Iron Man 2 (4.99!). Tropic Thunder was the most expensive at 7.99.

Se7en

Resevoir Dogs

Pulp Fiction

Dumb and Dumber

The American

Blood Diamond

American Psycho

Diabolique

Great prices in the USA, problem is I live in Canada can someone enlighten me why it costs so much more considering the dollar is strong here?

Se7en amazon.com: $7.99 amazon.ca: $12.87

John Q. / The Pelican Brief / Training Day amazon.com: $9.99 amazon.ca: $22.49

Resevoir Dogs amazon.com: $4.96 amazon.ca $4.99 (CLOSE!)

Pulp Fiction amazon.com:$8.00 amazon.ca $9.99

Dumb and Dumber amazon.com $7.50 amazon.ca $24.98

The American amazon.com $6.49 amazon.ca $32.09

Blood Diamond amazon.com $7.99 amazon.ca $11.99

American Psycho amazon.com $6.93 amazon.ca $16.98

Diabolique amazon.com $25.22 amazon.ca $39.68

in the USA this collection of blurays would cost you $85.07 +taxes in Canada the same blurays would be $176.06 + taxes !!!!!!!!!!! WTF??? that is a difference of $90.99

There is not a person on the planet that can justify this price dif, there is no way shipping 9 blurays costs the company $90.99, no way in hell.

Perhaps it costs more to ship here but then would the difference in price not remain the same (say like $2.00 more) the prices are all over the map

I can see why people download the movies, the companies involved are doing it to themselves IMO

Edited by gunsguy

Truth be told, ANY movie not in. 3-D, no matter how new, should never be more than 19.99. Example, The Dark Knight trilogy was just on sale at Fry's for 19.99, The Dark Knight Rises is 24.99 everywhere else. Also, if Best Buy isn't ever going to bother changing the price tags on their movies, they really need those UPC scanners like WalMart and Toys R Us. Sick of seeing a movie online for 5.99 and going to the store and it still says 29.99 on it. How am I supposed to know what it will ring up as?

Se7en

Resevoir Dogs

Pulp Fiction

Dumb and Dumber

The American

Blood Diamond

American Psycho

Diabolique

Great prices in the USA, problem is I live in Canada can someone enlighten me why it costs so much more considering the dollar is strong here?

Se7en amazon.com: $7.99 amazon.ca: $12.87

John Q. / The Pelican Brief / Training Day amazon.com: $9.99 amazon.ca: $22.49

Resevoir Dogs amazon.com: $4.96 amazon.ca $4.99 (CLOSE!)

Pulp Fiction amazon.com:$8.00 amazon.ca $9.99

Dumb and Dumber amazon.com $7.50 amazon.ca $24.98

The American amazon.com $6.49 amazon.ca $32.09

Blood Diamond amazon.com $7.99 amazon.ca $11.99

American Psycho amazon.com $6.93 amazon.ca $16.98

Diabolique amazon.com $25.22 amazon.ca $39.68

in the USA this collection of blurays would cost you $85.07 +taxes in Canada the same blurays would be $176.06 + taxes !!!!!!!!!!! WTF??? that is a difference of $90.99

There is not a person on the planet that can justify this price dif, there is no way shipping 9 blurays costs the company $90.99, no way in hell.

Perhaps it costs more to ship here but then would the difference in price not remain the same (say like $2.00 more) the prices are all over the map

I can see why people download the movies, the companies involved are doing it to themselves IMO

I live in Canada too. I paid $50 for shipping on the above order! Still worth it as I got 11 movies. That is $12.35 a movie (after all charges have been applied, i.e. I shouldn't get dinged for taxes or duties on top of what I've paid, and I may in fact get some money back as Amazon pre-charges this based on an estimate). And that's with one movie on the list that cost $25 which skews the average price a little.

As to why .ca is so expensive, i'm not sure. It has something to do with the size of the market I'm sure, and that it may simply not be profitable to give Canadians the same deals as they give Americans because the volumes are so much lower.

Here in Canada I pretty much buy movies from HMV as I work close to the downtown Superstore. Lots of selection and pretty good prices on many items. The occasional purchase is made at Wal-mart and Best Buy.

In the long run I plan to go with Netflix for all my movie purchases as it's tough to justify spending so much money on discs. I've been saying that for a long time though.

Here's another place to check out. They are based in Canada and it looks like they may have some good prices, though I have not checked extensively. http://www.buycdnow.ca

Edited by KBear

If they want to fight file sharing they need to come up with reasonable prices for a simple piece of mass produced plastic IMO

at least on par with the USA pricing. Perhaps they don't give a fuck, that is a thought too. After making millions at the theater they likely could care less about illegal files. the prices reflect that

It sucks though I like to support good stuff, it becomes hard when I see the price difference.

Edited by gunsguy

I hear you. But personally, I refuse to download. There are plenty of affordable and legal options out there, including Netflix, B&M stores that have good prices, and buying from the States. Honestly, there is no shortage of movies and albums that you can buy for at or below $10, assuming you don't need to own something the second it is released.

Another good option we have up here: Deja Vu Discs. The problem is only four locations. I buy lots of stuff from them as three of the locations are pretty near where I am. The discs are always in tip top shape. They have a 25% off boxing week sale now. That's 25% off used music and movies (so the prices are generally already good).

Edited by KBear

Got Magic Mike

I liked it. -_-

Back on topic, blind-bought V/H/S yesterday. I've heard great things so I'm excited to watch it!

Let me know how was it!

Pretty good. Can't justify the $20 I spent on it, so I'd wait for it to go on sale. There's 6 short stories in the movie, each directed by someone else:

- Tape 56

- Amateur Night

- Second Honeymoon

- Tuesday The 17th

- 10/31/98

The first of those is the framework story, with each subsequent story being a tape watched by someone in the framework. Some are better than others; 10/31/98 is by and far the best IMO, while Second Honeymoon is the weakest. Some are a bit predictable, other have larger twists towards the end. The one warning I will give, and I don't really consider this a spoiler, but the whole movie I was waiting for something to tie all the stories together - nothing does other than the framework story being the genesis of the other 5. But well worth a watch :popcorn:

Nice, I'm intrigued so I'll be watching it this weekend! :D

Got Magic Mike

I liked it. -_-

Let me know how was it!

- Tape 56

- Amateur Night

- Second Honeymoon

- Tuesday The 17th

- 10/31/98

Nice, I'm intrigued so I'll be watching it this weekend! :D

Cool! I'll be interested to hear someone else's take on it! :thumbsup:

I just can't wait to buy DREDD.

Same here, man. Can't wait to watch it again!

Seriously, man. I went and saw it again recently at the discount theatre out here and was just as stoked on it the 2nd time. It's the most no-bullshit, straight to the point, action movie in years. I put only Django Unchained and the Avengers in front of it for top movies this year.

So I spent several hours trying to figure out my system today, before I finally gave up and called Sony. Long story short, turns out the TV we got a year ago doesn't have any HDMI ports that support an Audio Return Channel. What the actual fuck?!?

The Onkyo 2012 receiver I bought this year has a hdmi audio return input from t.v., but the LED t.v. does not have hdmi audio return (older model).

The way I got around it was with my pvr..it has hdmi audio out.

I just turned the tv speakers off and use the pvr as the hdmi audio source for t.v.

P5 I think you mentioned you pvr'd the Stones concert?

If a pvr is your audio source from t.v., check the back of the pvr for an hdmi audio out.

Regardless, it comes down to what CR said. The blu-ray player has to be "told" what the audio "in" format is for that input on the blu-ray deck.

ie: if it's labelled input 2 (for example) you have to go into system tools (or whatever it might be called ) on the blu-ray deck and look for the audio settings section and /or settings for "input 2". Whatever cables you are using... rca, digital optical, hdmi etc. you have to select that option for that input.

You also mentioned the t.v. has a receiver audio setting...check in the t.v. system menus to see if the receiver audi setting has been selected (and the t.v. speakers shut off).

Also, if you can find us links to online manuals for that blu-ray deck (and the t.v.) we might be able to help you sort it out.