The old Axl!

Yeah, thats because there are TONS of videos of that "old Axl era" full of insights and interviews in lost of concert backstages, right? Nope. There aren't.

They guy was reclusive and he still is. You are idealizing an Axl that never existed. Simply as that.

I take it you weren't actually around during those times?

GnR was as media friendly as any band out there back in the 87-93 years.

Axl had no problem doing interviews for magazines or tv.

Heck, you probably don't know this, but for the Illusion albums, GnR did every major magazine, they released 10 music videos, and they released two behind the scenes documentaries - just for those two albums. Mind blown, right?

So no offense - but you don't know what you are talking about. But good luck with your Axl protection mode - it's fun to watch.

No, its not an Axl protection mode at all. I don't think Axl needs no one protecting him. It is called reality. Do I know what I am talking about? Well I bought appetite when I was 14. I am in my 40's now. So yeah, I have known the band for quite long...

Axl has always been reclusive. If there were more videos of him doing interviews and things like that back in the day is because there were media and companies interested in that kind of things happening.

Now this GNR incarnation is not so relevant, or at least it is not as relevant as Old Gnr used to be. (and those media are not relevant any longer too, and the musical companies in crisis and a lot of different things...)

Axl explained it a lot time ago in an interview when someone made a question that was something like " Where have you been all this time?" and he asked something like: "Well, last week I was in that street buying some clothes but nobody gave a fuck about it" (Its not literal, but thats what I remember he meaned)

For gods sake, this guy is in a contract with a company that doesn't seem to have any interest in releasing ANY product of this actual incarnation of the band, hell, even the best buy deal and promotion from the company seemed like a forced failure to try to set pieces for a reunion...

So no, its not about old or New Axl, its about a bussiness model that has changed A LOT and GNR not being SO relevant.

Axl has always been reclusive.

Okay, can you give us your definition of the word, please?

I don't really see how there's any way to deny that Axl is reclusive. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with being that way. :shrugs:

Really? From Appetite through to the end of the UYI tour? Examples?

You basically don't know one single fact of a normal day in the life of Axl. You don't know what he things of political matters. You don't know what he is doing now. You don't know anything about the real life of the guy. (nor do I, neither of we all do) and this has always been like this.

He doesn't like media too much. When he attends to a party it is NEWS in the media because he normally doesn't do this kind of things. You doesn't know who is he in love or who is his fiancé (or if he has one) Which book is reading. Or which movie he saw yesterday.

You know all this king of things from the rest of the Rockstars of the planet, via facebook, twitter or wathever. And Axl has always been like that. We all knew knew very little from him back in the day even from the interviews. The guy is a mistery. And by the way, I like it that way.

(No, I don't mean reclusive as a Howard Hughes kind of reclusion, if thats what you are asking, I mean it in the way the guy has always been very closed when referring to show that private part of his life)

The 2006 Eddie Trunk interview was awesome. Laid back and fun, the Kimmel one wasn't too bad either. He just needs the right sorta people round him and to let his guard down.

Thats the best interview and one of the best media Axl has done in his entire career and it was not made by an "old Axl".

I don't really see how there's any way to deny that Axl is reclusive. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with being that way. :shrugs:

Really? From Appetite through to the end of the UYI tour? Examples?

Oh maybe not back then. Apologies

You basically don't know one single fact of a normal day in the life of Axl. You don't know what he things of political matters. You don't know what he is doing now. You don't know anything about the real life of the guy. (nor do I, neither of we all do) and this has always been like this.

He doesn't like media too much. When he attends to a party it is NEWS in the media because he normally doesn't do this kind of things. You doesn't know who is he in love or who is his fiancé (or if he has one) Which book is reading. Or which movie he saw yesterday.

You know all this king of things from the rest of the Rockstars of the planet, via facebook, twitter or wathever. And Axl has always been like that. We all knew knew very little from him back in the day even from the interviews. The guy is a mistery. And by the way, I like it that way.

(No, I don't mean reclusive as a Howard Hughes kind of reclusion, if thats what you are asking, I mean it in the way the guy has always been very closed when referring to show that private part of his life)

Now I'm going to need your definition of 'always', because while that's true now, it really wasn't until the band disappeared (and then dissolved) after the UYI tour. He used to speak (sometimes too) frankly about all kinds of personal stuff, and was prone to making videos about personal stuff and explaining the personal stuff in documentaries about the videos in case you didn't understand the personal stuff that was in the videos. He also used to rant about personal stuff on stage. A lot. Everyone knew who he was dating and what clubs he favored and what other musicians he wanted to punch on any given day. If anything he was sort if innocent and guileless in his openness, which was part of his charm back then. He lacked a filter and would all kinds of wacky stuff, then be startled when it caused trouble for him. He was not mysterious or closed off at all, especially during the Appetite era. Edited by Angelica
  • Like 1

Now I'm going to need your definition of 'always', because while that's true now, it really wasn't until the band disappeared (and then dissolved) after the UYI tour. He used to speak (sometimes too) frankly about all kinds of personal stuff, and was prone to making videos about personal stuff and explaining the personal stuff in documentaries about the videos in case you didn't understand the personal stuff that was in the videos. He also used to rant about personal stuff on stage. A lot. Everyone knew who he was dating and what clubs he favored and what other musicians he wanted to punch on any given day. If anything he was sort if innocent and guileless in his openness, which was part of his charm back then. He lacked a filter and would all kinds of wacky stuff, then be startled when it caused trouble for him. He was not mysterious or closed off at all, especially during the Appetite era.

Yeah but what I am telling is that nowadays this is not because Axl has changed one bit, Its because Axl is in a band that does not matters anymore, and the public exposure is 1 million times lower. If GNR had the "relevancy" of Metallica or U2 ior fucking Coldplay in the media we would be having all the things you say. In fact, and even when the exposure of the band is way way less bigger than in the old times, we have had Axl speaking (IN THIS SAME FORUM) too frankly about all kinds of personal stuff, doing interviews in tv, talking with fans, signing autographs and showing himself backstage having fun. The only thing I really miss (though we had some great ones on 2001 and 2006) are the rants, but I guess we have a happy Axl now.

Lacked a filter? Come on', you are talking about a guy that defined in his first interview in a long time, his old former mate the band as a CANCER, this guy obviously lacks a filter, and I love it! :D

I used to have this, it's from a Hard and Heavy home video. I dubbed it onto a GNR VHS compilation I made and must've watched it a 100 times. Damn, I can still practically recite it, LOL!

Do you still have that VHS tape?

I'm pretty sure they're somewhere in my parent's house. I hope! :headbang:

• Like 1

Now I'm going to need your definition of 'always', because while that's true now, it really wasn't until the band disappeared (and then dissolved) after the UYI tour. He used to speak (sometimes too) frankly about all kinds of personal stuff, and was prone to making videos about personal stuff and explaining the personal stuff in documentaries about the videos in case you didn't understand the personal stuff that was in the videos. He also used to rant about personal stuff on stage. A lot. Everyone knew who he was dating and what clubs he favored and what other musicians he wanted to punch on any given day. If anything he was sort if innocent and guileless in his openness, which was part of his charm back then. He lacked a filter and would all kinds of wacky stuff, then be startled when it caused trouble for him. He was not mysterious or closed off at all, especially during the Appetite era.

Yeah but what I am telling is that nowadays this is not because Axl has changed one bit, Its because Axl is in a band that does not matters anymore, and the public exposure is 1 million times lower. If GNR had the "relevancy" of Metallica or U2 ior fucking Coldplay in the media we would be having all the things you say. In fact, and even when the exposure of the band is way way less bigger than in the old times, we have had Axl speaking (IN THIS SAME FORUM) too frankly about all kinds of personal stuff, doing interviews in tv, talking with fans, signing autographs and showing himself backstage having fun. The only thing I really miss (though we had some great ones on 2001 and 2006) are the rants, but I guess we have a happy Axl now.

Lacked a filter? Come on', you are talking about a guy that defined in his first interview in a long time, his old former mate the band as a CANCER, this guy obviously lacks a filter, and I love it! :D

And why are those bands you mention relevant? Because they still make music. Add that to the list of what has changed and what people miss about the old Axl.

Axl did more self promotion from '87-'92 than he has in the last 22 years combined since then. He was a high profile, in your face, internationally renowned rock star. He provided more interviews, more music, more band photos, more videos, more rants, in those few years, than he has in over 2 decades. He didn't get to his level of fame by behaving the way he does now. He's there because of what he WAS. He can still tour because of what he DID. It's all about the past. The old Axl. People either loved him or hated him, but at least there was a time when they knew him.

Nah, you dont miss the old Axl, you miss the old you. The golden times of our own.

Thats what we all miss. And we project it on Axls figure.

An aging (normally I say) rockstar only represents an evidence of one thing: We all age.

And we don't fucking like it.

I think this is exactly what's going on with a lot of people.

but it is possible to age gracefully.Axl doesn't seem to give a fuck about appearance ,music or anything really.

it's time to move on,people.

even if we're fucking 40 years old or whatever.

Nah, you dont miss the old Axl, you miss the old you. The golden times of our own.

Thats what we all miss. And we project it on Axls figure.

An aging (normally I say) rockstar only represents an evidence of one thing: We all age.

And we don't fucking like it.

I think this is exactly what's going on with a lot of people.

but it is possible to age gracefully.Axl doesn't seem to give a fuck about appearance ,music or anything really.

it's time to move on,people.

even if we're fucking 40 years old or whatever.

Quoting this, which simply ignored pages of responses to that absurd claim, resulted in a game of Special Olympics leap frog. Good job!

Old Axl used his piss and vinegar as a muse to create and knocked the audience to their knees.

Nu Axl uses his sadness for woe is mes and as a pawn for the blame game instead of getting off his ass and doing something about it. Boo hoo hoo. Pwoor widdle Waxl. The most victimized person the worlds ever laid it's cruelties upon.

That's the difference.

• Like 1

around the 0:16:17 mark Axl goes "I'll tell you a little bit about this show. There might be a delay between different songs because we just have this big fucking list and we pick which song we're gonna play next as we go to see how it feels best with you. That way we don't get bored and you don't go 'I saw that show in Toledo.' Fuck that shit! Also we'll be playing a lot of new stuff seeing as you people have been waiting a long time for the new album to come out, and it'd be kind of a really pussy thing to do to just come up here and play Appetite For Destruction, it's kinda like jerking off.

Hearing this guy say this in 1991 and evaluating how he is in 2014 (at least for now) has pretty much confirmed to me that he no longer has the passion he did in his youth.

• Like 1

I think with the old lineup it was more of a partnership. There were people to lean on if everyone hated the song or show. With the new band it's Axl taking the credit and the blame. The pressure of people hating new songs or a performance has moved him towards complacency.

That and the fact that it makes going on on time easier if the setlist is the same. The lightning and video crew must have had hell during the illusions tour. Probably something he didn't really care about in the early 90's.