What's with all the abhorrence of So Fine?

So FIne reminds why GNR was so great... they played songs all over the place. Got the countryfied twangs of Dead Horse... the epic long ass songs like Coma... the introspective ballads of November Rain and the in your face fuck yous of Back Of Bitch for just a few examples.

So Fine was a good song.. simple.. straight forward.. earnest.. believable. I imagined it as if you were kinda fucked up and were writing to someone.. you just pick up the guitar and get the job done.. no over the top productions.. no huge backing orchestra...so fucking simple that it just works at a level that makes it real.

Wait. This song isn't liked by fans? Since when? I never knew that.

I knew it was regarded as one of the more 'filler' tracks on the Illusions along with the likes of Dead Horse, You Ain't the First, etc., but I never knew it was singled out with detest.

I like it (and I like those other songs too).

The worst Illusions tracks are Get in the Ring, Shotgun Blues and My World. I think Shotgun Blues is the worst song GN'R has ever written, actually. My World is so throwaway and short and reviled and tacked on at the end of the album - it's an easy target but ultimately easy to forget about or skip and inconsequential. It's a gimmick track. Get in the Ring is awesome instrumentally but undermined by the childish lyrics and over-the-solo rant from Axl. As Lenny alluded to though, sometimes if I'm in a nasty mood it puts me back in the spirit of being a young kid pissed off at nothing in particular, and I find myself connecting with it. I still think the actual riff and the solo by Slash are great, it's just those lyrics that kind of ruin it.

Shotgun Blues is the worst of both worlds: shitty hook, shitty lyrics, vulgar, ugly, and right dab in the middle of the record. A real drag.

Fair enough, but I'd punt Get In The Ring, Shotgun Blues and My World before So Fine.

That's just me though.

Keep it DOOMY :drevil:

All cringeworthy songs, but So Fine is, imo, the worst of them. So Fine, Shotgun Blues (Seriously Axl?), Get In The Ring (Cool instruments but awful lyrics) then My World, which I don't really count as a GNR song but Axl's one and only solo song.

I like it and always have. There is a really diverse range of opinions when it comes to GnR material...maybe more so than with any other band. For example, some folks love CD and think it's better than the old stuff...other folks think CD is garbage. I've noticed that some of my favorite songs/albums, are the least favorites of others. Most folks seem to think 'Don't Cry' is a great song, but 9 times out of 10 I will actually skip that song and I'd much prefer to listen to 'So Fine' over 'Don't Cry'. I also think 'November Rain' is way over-rated but realize that I'm in the minority on that one also. So opinions are all over the place...

Shotgun Blues is the worst of both worlds: shitty hook, shitty lyrics, vulgar, ugly, and right dab in the middle of the record. A real drag.

:no:

Get better taste.

It's a complete throwaway.

I dunno man. Had the classic lineup of Guns N' Roses been able to keep it together I think the best thing they could have possibly done to follow TSI would have been to put out a full length of original punk influenced songs in the vein of Right Next Door To Hell, Get In The Ring, Shotgun Blues, Garden of Eden, Don't Damn Me, Perfect Crime, and Its So Easy. Of course this is totally hypothetical but I believe they could have put together an album that might have challenged the success and mystique of Appetite For Destruction if they stayed on the aggressive yet simple path they seemed to be on with UYI2 and TSI. No other rock band was making music like that at the time, especially not any band that had a singer and guitar player like Axl and Slash. I'm positive it would have been a hit.

The songs I listed earlier are some of their most underappreciated songs among GNR fans for some reason. With the majority of them being written and released in the later part of their career together I feel like they're the best examples of when the band as a whole was still on the same page. We know Slash and Duff weren't particularly "on-board" with tracks like Estranged, Breakdown, and November Rain, but with those "heavy hitters" from the UYI albums I really felt that the chemestry was as strong if not stronger than anything they recorded and released on AFD or Lies. You could really tell the band was having a lot of fun with those songs, yet among the majority of fans they sort of live in the shadow of these overblown "epics" that generally seem to rule UYI I & II .

Gotta love the diversity of Guns N' Roses music as an all around rock band.

Edited by sweetness

Is it me or a large number of GnR fans seem to detest So Fine? Why though? I won't say it's a great song, because it's not, but it's certainly not that bad and I just don't see why it elicits such a negative response, at least here.

:question:

So Fine

YEAH THAT MADE ME HAPPY!!!

• Like 1

I dunno man. Had the classic lineup of Guns N' Roses been able to keep it together I think the best thing they could have possibly done to follow TSI would have been to put out a full length of original punk influenced songs in the vein of Right Next Door To Hell, Get In The Ring, Shotgun Blues, Garden of Eden, Don't Damn Me, Perfect Crime, and Its So Easy. Of course this is totally hypothetical but I believe they could have put together an album that might have challenged the success and mystique of Appetite For Destruction if they stayed on the aggressive yet simple path they seemed to be on with UYI2 and TSI. No other rock band was making music like that at the time, especially not any band that had a singer and guitar player like Axl and Slash. I'm positive it would have been a hit.

The songs I listed earlier are some of their most underappreciated songs among GNR fans for some reason. With the majority of them being written and released in the later part of their career together I feel like they're the best examples of when the band as a whole was still on the same page. We know Slash and Duff weren't particularly "on-board" with tracks like Estranged, Breakdown, and November Rain, but with those "heavy hitters" from the UYI albums I really felt that the chemestry was as strong if not stronger than anything they recorded and released on AFD or Lies. You could really tell the band was having a lot of fun with those songs, yet among the majority of fans they sort of live in the shadow of these overblown "epics" that generally seem to rule UYI I & II .

Gotta love the diversity of Guns N' Roses music as an all around rock band.

From your lips to God's ears! Too bad it didn't turn out like this.

Everytime i hear Get in the Ring it's like i'm 11 years old again and Axls stickin' up for me, 'you been rippin' off the fuckin' kids while they been paying their hard earned money to read about the bands they wanna know about!' it was like 'yes, yes, YES!! He's talkin' about me, he's talkin' about me! :lol:

that was Duff...

Guest Len B'stard

:no:

Get better taste.

I know, right? i think it's great, i really like all of it, the hook is great, it has a real, for want of sound desperately unimaginative in my description, really punk rock. Not even that so much, just frenetic. And it's just like...broken down to like...base emotion. The chorus is great, I can imagine it just working so well with some not-quite-in-sync backing vocals when done live, the chorus seems so crammed inthere, like he had to say it fast just to fit all the shit in.

Yeah it's vulgar, yeah its ugly, it's supposed to be, it's addressing an ugliness. Can you seriously tell me that the bit on the tail-end of the solo where it's raging through it and it comes back round to the riff and a voice goes 'C'MON!' before it kicks back into the main bit doesn't get your fuckin' heart pumpin'? It's weird, these were some of the early songs i got into with GnR.

Is it me or a large number of GnR fans seem to detest So Fine? Why though? I won't say it's a great song, because it's not, but it's certainly not that bad and I just don't see why it elicits such a negative response, at least here.

:question:

Pretty simple..........lots of people just don't like it?

"But it's certainly not that bad".............music is all about personal preference. Not everybody has to love or hate the same songs.

ER needs to get better taste because he doesn't like Shotgun Blues? Lol. What a fucking idiotic post.

Could be worse. I could be that guy who frequents a Guns N' Roses forum yet constantly acts like he's too cool to still listen to "dadrock" :jerkoff:

• Like 1