The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

7 minutes ago, Gavin82 said:

Its happening ItvBoxOffice 23rd Feb going too be a great punch up

I reckon Little Chris has got a good chance.  I mean he ain't all that but quite frankly I think DeGale is extremely overrated, lost to Groves, lost to Truax, struggled against Molina.

Canelo v Danny Jacobs, May 4th.  If he does Jacobs, there's only Billy Joe Saunders (and possibly Andrade) and it'll be difficult to not put Canelo in the conversation with the greatest middleweights of all time, I mean he'll've done everyone in his generation (except Floyd of course).  I'm not sure if he's quite Marvin Hagler or Carlos Monzon but fuck, what else can a man do but beat the best that are around?  And its not as if they are slouches on his record either, this is his 9th year now of fighting solid competition and he's only lost once.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gavin82 said:

Does Amir Khan know what hes signing up too.......

I've been asked for predictions, I don't think it goes 8 rounds...and thats me being extremely charitable.  In his last fight this guy nearly got clipped by Samuel Vargas for crying out loud.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Yeah to be fair to him he has turned down fights that would have been " Easier Money " for fights where he as been totally banged in sorts ruined any legacy he may of had however.

Guess his legacy is that bloke who got banged out by X and Y fighters 

The trouble is he has a tendency to get banged out through his own fault.  Breidis Prescott, he got dropped and just stormed right back into the fray, thats just not intelligent, same with Danny Garcia fight, no one has handled Garcia the way Khan was early doors but he just boxes like a hyper-active kid, gets a little success and then gets sloppy.  For example, he gets into 5, 6 punch exchanges, if you're doing him with ones and twos that don't mean that he's a fraggle and you need to go toe to toe with him, thats asking to get knocked out, sometimes you need to just stick with what you're doing...and thats what he should have been doing with Garcia, to this day no one has been fuckin' Garcia up like Khan was, it was mental, the guys got blinding handspeed but no boxing brain, he doesn't know how to react to getting hit, he makes schoolboy errors like circling across his opponents field of vision instead of away from it, I've never boxed in my life, amateur or pro and I can tell you those things are fucking deadly errors.  He fights like a woman, he gets hit and just starts going for it, like bitches swinging handbags.  And the Canelo knockout, well, that was clean as a whistle.  Point being a bit of boxing brain could've avoided that other shit cuz Garcia was tailormade for his, give Garcia movement and he dunno where he is. 

So yeah, Amir Khan, world class qualities but world class flaws as well. 

Edited by Len Cnut

16 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Len do you reckon Myweather is going to come back and fight Pacman or Khabib?? 

No.  Ellerbe made a statement yesterday saying Floyd doesn't have the desire anymore.  He's what, 41, 42?  I hope he doesn't either, nice to see a man retire health and wealth in tact. 

29 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Got a feeling he is going to become one of them money hungry idiots.

What'cha mean 'become'? :lol:  Nah, look, end of the day my feeling is respect to him.  There's a lot about his personality that is off putting but his personality ain't really none of my business, he ain't no relation to me, he ain't in my life, his personality is his own look out, what I am is a fan of boxing and I watched just about all his fights live since the late 90s, it would be a little lame of me after all that entertainment I got out of the bloke to turn around and cunt him off, my relationship to him is a fighter/sports fan one and as a sports fan he's given me the only thing a fighter is obliged to give...and thats good fights or rather good performances, can't ask nothing more from him than that and I wish him well, I ain't one of those that goes 'oh i can't wait til this cunt spunks all his money, that'll bring him down a peg or two', thats just bitch behaviour, more power to him, I wouldn't wish that on a stranger let alone someone I've got all that entertainment from.  As far as personality, what boxer is a nice person, what, Nigel Benn?  A fuckin' yobbo from Ilford that used to hang out with those Essex Boys twats?  Or how about Chris Eubank, the tea leaf from Peckham?  Or Mike Tyson, a man with more fuckin' crimes to his name than Al Capone and a fuckin' tendency for irrational violent behaviour?  Boxing is the arena of street lads and by and large these are not the sort of people that are to be found working for the Samaritans or sipping cocktails at the Regatta, they are fuckin' nutters with often deeply unpleasant natures. 

Boxing has always had this honest ''American'' relationship with money. Ali was as canny a negotiator as any (the fact that he squandered much of it on hangers-on being besides the point). I read an interview with Bellew awhile ago and all he talked about was the money he'd made from the sport, not his sporting accomplishments.

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Boxing has always had this honest ''American'' relationship with money. Ali was as canny a negotiator as any (the fact that he squandered much of it on hangers-on being besides the point). I read an interview with Bellew awhile ago and all he talked about was the money he'd made from the sport, not his sporting accomplishments.

It's the hip hop generation filtering into boxing, they are arch-capitalists, every step is a business decision.  I say it smells, the whole thing.  Reeks even.  

8 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

It's the hip hop generation filtering into boxing, they are arch-capitalists, every step is a business decision.  I say it smells, the whole thing.  Reeks even.  

But the older boxers talked as such also. I'll give you an example of what I mean,

If a cricketer joins some tin-pot Twenty20 franchise he'll say things like, ''yes, it is good to test your skills among the best, to sit in the same changing room as people like Kohli and Warner, to play in front of the big crowds etc etc''.

It doesn't matter that this is twaddle, that there real reason is they are being offered x amount of money from a dodgy sheikh, sufficing to say they feel the need to say it.

In boxing it is, ''yes, the money was excellent''. 

They actually derail big fights, in which fighters can clean up divisions, achieve brilliant things which will go down in history and cement their place in history, simply because they are haggling about cash!

Boxing has always had this very open un-British relationship with money. What I mean by that is if somebody makes lots of money in Britain the British go, ''what a tosser''. If an American makes money the Americans go, ''great bruv, I'm glad for you''.

7 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

But the older boxers talked as such also. I'll give you an example of what I mean,

If a cricketer joins some tin-pot Twenty20 franchise he'll say things like, ''yes, it is good to test your skills among the best, to sit in the same changing room as people like Kohli and Warner, to play in front of the big crowds etc etc''.

It doesn't matter that this is twaddle, that there real reason is they are being offered x amount of money from a dodgy sheikh, sufficing to say they feel the need to say it.

In boxing it is, ''yes, the money was excellent''. 

They actually derail big fights, in which fighters can clean up divisions, achieve brilliant things which will go down in history and cement their place in history, simply because they are haggling about cash!

Boxing has always had this very open un-British relationship with money. What I mean by that is if somebody makes lots of money in Britain the British go, ''what a tosser''. If an American makes money the Americans go, ''great bruv, I'm glad for you''.

It's a bit different because they're not on contracts earning a wage like footballers and cricketers. They can negotiate their wages once every few years then get on with it and pretend like money isn't important. Boxers theyre like self employed sub contractors so in that respect it makes perfect sense to make each "job" about the money and they have to negotiate a price with the boss who could be the promoter or t.v. network for each one a couple of times a year. 

1 hour ago, spunko12345 said:

It's a bit different because they're not on contracts earning a wage like footballers and cricketers. They can negotiate their wages once every few years then get on with it and pretend like money isn't important. Boxers theyre like self employed sub contractors so in that respect it makes perfect sense to make each "job" about the money and they have to negotiate a price with the boss who could be the promoter or t.v. network for each one a couple of times a year. 

So are Twenty20 mercenaries. 

These competitions sometimes last as little as a couple of weeks and you can basically make that your career, globetrotting among twenty20 teams - not to mention that T10 farce, and presumably the upcoming ''The Hundred''. Some of that has filtered through to the county game also whereby overseas players - you're only allowed one - are on incredibly short-term contracts: counties can sometimes have upwards to about four successive overseas players!

But there is a lot of truth in what you say. Boxing is organised more like pop-rock gigs, or more like a big pop-rock specifically, whereby a promoter is involved.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Also boxers don't really earn a lot of money unless they are in the upper percentile.  For example someone like Dave Allen, I'd say he'd be getting like 20,000 a fight, all told.  Now lets say he fights twice or three times a year, 40 to 60,000 a year, its hardly Arab money is it?  Just about enough to furnish oneself with a comfortable middle class lifestyle I suppose, I bet there's people on this forum on more than that. 

Keith 'One Time' Thurman vs Josecito Lopez on ITV4 free tommorow night.  Quality fighter, done Danny Garcia, Shawn Porter, it'd be nice now to see these boys step up, Thurman, Spence and Terence Crawford all need to fight each other...could throw Pacman in the mix too since he's got the WBA regular.