The unhealthy American patriotism

SoulMonster

4 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

Was hockey on in the background?  If so, that would explain it.  :P

:lol: This was back in the day, so no doubt that gang had just finished up a game on the frozen lake when they headed to the pub.  Probably came up with some political reason to justify invading the village that just beat them on the rink!

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Yeah, there's a show of his I like that I'll try and find now, hold up.

(God damn that sounds good, I would slaughter you all immediately for some chocolate chip pancakes.)

Here it is:

thanks so much!  Gonna check these out now

19 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

I really don't see the point in people trying to make others feel bad for being patriotic :shrugs:

I really like you and the last thing Id ever want is that we are finding ourselves on a different side of a sensitive issue.  But to speak to what you've said, Id point to all the content of the article at start of thread, all the comments and the media and videos in this thread. 

And Im sure no one is trying to make anyone feel bad.  I know Im not.  Its bigger then peoples feelings anyways. 

Edited by soon

3 minutes ago, soon said:

I really like you and the last thing Id ever want is that we are finding ourselves on a different side of a sensitive issue.  But to speak to what you've said, Id point to all the content of the article at start of thread, all the comments and the media and videos. 

And Im sure no one is trying to make anyone feel bad.  I know Im not.  Its bigger then peoples feelings anyways. 

Just admit it, you're a Canadian super patriot....found this pic of you floating around the net....

Image result for guy with canadian flag

:lol:

38 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Yeah, there's a show of his I like that I'll try and find now, hold up.

(God damn that sounds good, I would slaughter you all immediately for some chocolate chip pancakes.)

Here it is:

First one was hilarious , trying to get 2nd to work. 

The country has moved on from the innocent fun of choc chip pancakes , now people wait in 2 hr lines for some foul creature called the kronut, they also deep fry snicker candy bars and eat burgers with 4-5 beef patties inside. 35% of American adults are obese and 20% of children are obese. I didn't say overweight or fat, then the percentages double .

Edited by Pishy

1 minute ago, Whiskey Rose said:

This whole thread turned into why people (mostly Americans) should not feel patriotic toward their country, so I stand by my words.

I think people here are talking about a particular brand of patriotism, at least the author and I am, and not the regular, low-key patriotism that helps to glue citizens together. No one is opposed to the latter, at all, just the extreme version that can be exploited and misused.

For the record, to all Americans reading: Please continue to be patriotic about your country. Just don't be all moronic about it. Thank you.

I think a certain amount of patriotism is okay within a context, but it is very easy to be patriotic to the point that you become blind to your own country's fallacies. Also, I think the people get excessively offended when others don't behave "appropriately" during a national anthem are dangerously close to groupthink. That is when patriotism becomes "unhealthy". 

With regards to americans - I find their brand of patriotism to be really annoying as it often slips into american exceptionalism. Although, theirs isn't the only country in which their citizens are indoctrinated to have such a mindset...

Edited by KiraMPD
can't fucking type
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Good old Harry.  He had the first million selling album yknow.  

No I had no idea - a well earned distinction.  I wish that the celebrated artists of today were as informed and well spoken.  And that popular discourse in traditional media wasnt so base now.

Like in this The Tonite Show clip guesting host Belafonte interviews RFK and prompts this response about the foundational lie of America: equality 

No I had no idea - a well earned distinction.  I wish that the celebrated artists of today were as informed and well spoken.  And that popular discourse in traditional media wasnt so base now.

Some of them are.  Interviews nowadays are a cocksuck though, it's all just fuckin' commercial telly shit, wheel out Keith Richards tale of 'that time when Chuck Berry smacked me in the mouth' or asking Roger Daltrey 'what was Keith Moon REALLY like?', or Paul McCartney wheeling out some old chestnut about how that arrogant acerbic scouse bastard Lennon was really 'a lovely guuy, y'know'.  And the younger artists are even worse, awful shrill voiced little rats moaning about their 'brand' or how they've 'tried to do something different with this album' when they blatantly fuckin' haven't.

And part of it is to do with the interviewers.  Like Jimmy Fallon is an awful fawning weasel of a man.  Its a reciprocal relationship though, the 'artist' is there to sell you a product and the 'interviewer' (cuz they've never journalists now) is there to facilitate the sale of that product, which often is part of a twin interest between the corporate entity that promotes said talk show and said product artist is trying to flog you.  So they lick each others arses, pause in all the right spots to invite applause and everything keeps ticking over nicely.

But then we as fans don't like tough searching interviewers anyway, just go on youtube and click on any interviewer from back in the day, ones who pressed on certain question or put forward vaguely challenging propositions and you see a swarm of youtube fanboys going 'OHMIGOSH, that interviewers being such a dick!'.  Its a fuckin' agreed upon thing though...ever see that interview with Martin Bashir and Tarantino and Tarantino goes off about how 'this is a commercial for my movie!'?  Its all that sort of thing now.  Shame.  But hey, the product reflects the people it comes from, what do you expect but wank from wankers?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, soon said:

Agreed.  I havent seen the Tarantino thing but not surprised.  

The RFK clip is The Tonight Show in 1968

This is The Tonight Show in 2016:

Compare that to Nixon Frost.  And y'know whats funny, even Frost wasn't considered among the weighty interviewers of the day, people like William F Buckley and so forth, David Frost was like an ambitious TV satirist...and yet he was so into the job that he got that amazing piece of work done, considered like a defining moment in TV journalism.  

25 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Compare that to Nixon Frost.  And y'know whats funny, even Frost wasn't considered among the weighty interviewers of the day, people like William F Buckley and so forth, David Frost was like an ambitious TV satirist...and yet he was so into the job that he got that amazing piece of work done, considered like a defining moment in TV journalism.  

Makes me sad to think about.  But that said, I did just happen to listen to a great interview on our Canadian public broadcaster this morning with comedian Judah Friedlander that was, imo, really engaging and thoughtful.  Friedlanders new netflix special is called "America is the Greatest Country In the United States."  But its few and far between these days.

If anyones interested it can be found here by clicking in the blue "Listen" link under the Picture of the two of them.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/q/judah-friedlander-is-trying-to-find-comedy-in-uncommon-places-1.4395295

14 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

I really agree with what you're saying, I fucking hate phonies like Kimmel and Fallon but I think that guy interviewing Tarantino was a snide chill, he wasn't challenging him he was bringing out the same tired question Tarantino has been asked over and over, so I don't blame him for reacting like that.

I kind of do because...by getting all agitated like that you kinda let them win.  Like why are you losing your cool?  And just the entire arrogance of 'this is a commercial for my movie', it kinda makes the whole process sort of like an empty walk through.  Bashir is a snide but see we all meet them in life, I just don't think reacting like that is of any value ultimately.  I totally get the idea that he thinks, probably rightly, that Bashir is trying to frame the whole thing into an argument about violence and thereby make it about something else but come on, you're an intelligent guy, you can circumvent that pretty easily.  I guess I'm just being nit picky a bit.  And ultimately what did it achieve, it kind of did exactly what Bashir wanted, if we're to look at him in the worst light, it did kinda become a thing of big online hits for Bashir.  

I guess its easy for me to say, I'm not the guy thats had to qualify is cinematic choices for the last 20 plus years in the way he has.  I just think the dick in Tarantino came out there...and he is a massive dick.

On 11/14/2017 at 10:00 PM, Oldest Goat said:

Yeah, well, I guess I'm defending it because I might react like he did haha. I understand what you're saying, but it's basically in the 3rd person lol.

What do you think of Paxman? Is he well-liked over there? He seems fucking dreadful.

He assumes the accent and manners of a haughty southern aristocrat yet he was actually born in Leeds! I do like him on University Challenge which is the only television show I watch.