Black Panther

ZoSoRose

I didn't see a thread for this one, so I thought I'd make one. 

I know there are a hundred MCU movies and a lot of people (including me) are getting superhero fatigue a bit, but I liked it quite a bit. I think Wakanda was really neat (but would have liked to see more of it street- side) and I thought Killmonger was a really cool character. Usually MCU villains are one note, but I thought he was quite a bit more developed. One of my upper MCU villains with Loki and The Vulture. Marvel really nails their casting, although I think I liked T'challa a bit more in Civil War. Obviously, this movie is a big deal and its good to see its success. I do have to say, the third act was a bit flat for me. I don't always like big, dumb, lame CGI battles, but I think something a little more personal or emotional would have been better for this film. Of the recent Marvel Cinematic movies I'd say I liked this more than Guardians 2 and Doctor Strange but I think I liked Spider-Man Homecoming and Thor Ragnorak a little more. Crazy how Marvel hasn't put an outright terrible movie out, yet.   

I hope Infinity War isn't a disappointing follow up. 

27 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I do have to say, the third act was a bit flat for me. I don't always like big, dumb, lame CGI battles, but I think something a little more personal or emotional would have been better for this film.

I thought the same. The entire final 3rd was very disappointing and predictable from the moment 

Spoiler

Michael B. Jordan's character shows up in Wakanda and they pretend Black Panther's dead. The CGI silliness with the Rhyno and contrived battle got cringy for me. 

That's the point when it went from a pretty good film, to just a better than average Marvel film.

It's not a bad film, it's good and it's awesome that this is a rare big blockbuster where the cast is mostly Black. Kudos on that, cool. Still doesn't make it Citizen Kane. The people calling it the greatest movie off all time, suggesting that it should win best picture at next year's Oscars are out off their minds.

Not sure why Martin Freeman's character was necessary tbh as well. Though I've never read the comics.

From the recent Marvel films that I've seen, I enjoyed Ragnarok better. It wasn't a better film on paper, but it was very fun and didn't feel like the same old. I did enjoy Black Panther more than Guardians 2 though.

Edited by AtariLegend

38 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

I thought the same. The entire final 3rd was very disappointing and predictable from the moment 

Reveal hidden contents

Michael B. Jordan's character shows up in Wakanda and they pretend Black Panther's dead. The CGI silliness with the Rhyno and contrived battle got cringy for me. 

That's the point when it went from a pretty good film, to just a better than average Marvel film.

It's not a bad film, it's good and it's awesome that this is a rare big blockbuster where the cast is mostly Black. Kudos on that, cool. Still doesn't make it Citizen Kane. The people calling it the greatest movie off all time, suggesting that it should win best picture at next year's Oscars are out off their minds.

Not sure why Martin Freeman's character was necessary tbh as well. Though I've never read the comics.

From the recent Marvel films that I've seen, I enjoyed Ragnarok better. It wasn't a better film on paper, but it was very fun and didn't feel like the same old. I did enjoy Black Panther more than Guardians 2 though.

I agree with this. I still think its awesome the film is doing so well, and think a movie like this is long overdue (ditto to last year's Wonder Woman). I think some of the themes, although a little superficial and shallowly touched at times) were really great for a Marvel movie. I can't expect Marvel to get super deep into race and economics, so I think the way they were presented were solid. It elevated this from a typical MCU movie into something more. Its ranked higher in the MCU for me because of those and because Killmonger is a solid villain for once. 

Ragnorak was fun as fuck and too good a combination of a lot of things I love so I like it more, but that doesn't mean I didn't really enjoy this one. 

I think that this wasn’t the best Marvel movie and some of it’s fame came from the mostly black cast. I’m not saying it was a bad movie (I personally liked it) but I think that it has been put up as one of the best movies because of it dealing with race. I really enjoyed the characters in this movie. The characters were, in my opinion, the best part of the film. There weren’t any characters that I didn’t really like. The action is all things I’ve seen before in other Marvel movies and Dragon Ball. Over all I think it’s a decent movie, but a bit over hyped.

Wasn't there already a thread for this?

I really liked this movie. Third-favorite of the MCU behind Spiderman Homecoming and Captain America: Winter Soldier. With the first Guardians being a very close fourth.

Killmonger is my second-favorite MCU villain, behind Keaton's Vulture.

I saw it opening night in IMAX. Theater was nearly sold out, which is always cool.

It was quite good. Not the best MCU movie, but certainly better than Captain America 1, Thor 2, Iron Man 3, and Age of Ultron (probably the best of those four; good, not great).

I've never exactly tried to rank the MCU movies, but this one is up there. If people go into it with a clear mind and don't let the hype sway their opinion prior to seeing it, most will enjoy it of course.

Can't wait for Infinity War.