Guns n Roses, Kelly's Pub, Chicago, 1989

7 hours ago, ludurigan said:

4075307639_9cee623059_b.jpg

Taken from here: https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/obituaries/ct-met-john-p-kelly-obituary-20190215-story.html

If anyone was ever part and parcel of the Lincoln Park community, it was John P. Kelly, a jovial city firefighter who was the longtime proprietor of the storied pub that bears his family name.

He lived his entire 82 years on the same block, just a short jaunt from Kelly’s Pub on Webster Avenue. But his reputation as a good-natured, quintessential Chicago archetype rippled across the city.

(...)

Kelly’s daughter, Megan Kelly Wolf, likes to tell the story about the time a trio of long-haired, tattooed men came into the pub, and some of the older regulars were talking about how the three men should be kicked out because they might cause trouble. But Megan recognized them as members of the Guns N’ Roses rock band and told her father.

“Just the biggest rock band on the planet, Dad,” she recalled saying. “No big deal.

“So he had bought them a shot of Jameson, Jameson 12 probably, and he goes through this whole spiel about how it’s this fancy Irish whiskey and you’re supposed to sip it, blah, blah, blah,” his daughter said. “And he says, ‘Cheers.’ And he just downed it. So they all thought that was very funny and they joined him, and they downed theirs as well.”

750x422

John P. Kelly, a Chicago firefighter who was the longtime proprietor of Kelly's Pub

Nice story !!

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

it was most likely in 1989 during the chicago sessions when the band "moved" there to write for the illusion albums.

it was most certainly slash, duff and steven

you can find an extraordinary amount of information about this on the extraordinary website THE HISTORY OF GUNS N ROSES IN THEIR OWN WORDS that @SoulMonster and @Blackstar are putting together

they have an entire topic dedicated to "SUMMER OF 1989 - RELOCATING TO CHICAGO"

http://www.a-4-d.com/t2847p60-the-history-of-guns-n-roses-in-their-own-words#12224

:headbang:

Ah ok, thanks for that, I had forgotten about the Chicago sojourn in '89.  Like you said, more than likely that's when it was.

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

too expensive? too far? too dangerous? too crowded?

None of those things, actually. I still live on the NW side in Chicago. Kelly's and the bar across the street always had really cheap drink deals cause they're considered unofficially just part of the DePaul campus. I don't go anymore because they are, or at least were, big college bars and I'm in my 30s. I don't have the desire to hang out with a bunch of drunk college kids. haha

Edited by GnR Chris

3 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

None of those things, actually. I still live on the NW side in Chicago. Kelly's and the bar across the street always had really cheap drink deals cause they're considered unofficially just part of the DePaul campus. I don't go anymore because they are, or at least were, big college bars and I'm in my 30s. I don't have the desire to hang out with a bunch of drunk college kids. haha

hahahaha, understood!