Does any other big name band operate in such a dysfunctional way?

Guest NGOG

Is there any other community out there as frustrated by the actions of their favourite band as we are? Is anybody else aware of other bands who go beyond AC/DC's major fault (which is playing the same setlist) and actually disappoint their fans on a consistent basis with dozens of empty promises?

Are any other big name bands guilty of failed projects similar to; the Better video, Las Vegas 2001 DVD, a dire merch store, a dreadful and extortionate online 'fan club', London 2012 DVD, trilogy of Chinese Democracy records, alternate Chinese Democracy booklets, Las Vegas residency 3D DVD, repeated hints of playing new songs live by band members, 'laying songs on Facebook', gradually reducing the presence of old GNR in the sets etc. etc. etc.

As GNR communities are the only place I dwell, I can't answer my own question. So is anybody else aware of similar fraught relations between band and fans?

Edited by NGOG

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Deep Purple

Deep Purple have endured way more changes in personnel and yet, they will have a new album out this year.

Velvet Revolver

Two records, an EP and eight videos. All with a manic singer who has since been released by his own band Stone Temple Pilots.

What about Deep Purple and Lynard?

Skynyrd? It's more of a country rock tribute band that Rossington keeps it going, in some ways, they were the prototype for GNR, esp, when it comes to attitude and taking no shit. Ronnie got into far more fights than Axl, including with bandmates, which Axl rarely ever did. They even had a Hell House in the Jacksonville area, but it was literally a rehearsal shack with a tin roof. They were dysfunctional offstage but it didn't affect the shows, but the fights were pretty brutal.

Deep Purple's still going, Blackmore seems to be mending fences with past band members, but I don't think the rift between him and Ian's been mended. The Mark II lineup that reunited in the 80s lasted for almost a decade, and when Ritchie met Candice when she was the background singer, he wanted to move on and not deal with DP anymore, esp. Ian, so Gary Moore's been the mainstay ever since.

Van Halen, without a doubt.

Yes, but not to the degree of GnR. Especially since David Lee Roth is back and they did release a new album in 2012. If it were up to Dave they would be touring every year, but Eddie doesn't seem to want to do that.

NO, IM AFRAID NOT! this is the worst case I can imagine. Its kind of a Tim Burton surreal nightmare. Its imposible to top this

situation and stupidity!!

For what it seems in the US people dont give much credit to this version of GNR and so the label. It seems they want to clean the damage

and get a better perception fo the band so next release is way fair for the album and gets better feedbacks.

By now we should have the whole Chinese trilogy in our hands!!!

Its a long journey of silence from now till get something new 1-3 years minimum.

FUCKKKKKKKKKK

Van Halen, without a doubt.

Yes, but not to the degree of GnR. Especially since David Lee Roth is back and they did release a new album in 2012. If it were up to Dave they would be touring every year, but Eddie doesn't seem to want to do that.

Van halen fans will always be miserable. Half like David Lee Roth and the other half like Sammy Hagar. It's either one or the other and they can't both be in the band.

I was a big fan of a cult british rock group who kind of had their own little chinese democracy period. but no.

also, I think most bands even though what they do or dont do resemble one another, I also hold a firm belief that at their core bands are creative entities and they are supposed to be, and are supposed to be lookd at, as separate entities and that they have no clear "right" way to function or not function.

It's not like I would ever be interested in a band anyway that goes in with a 9-17 mentality and most likely neither would you, so I don't understand why you are trying to provoke negative commentary against GNR just by playing it out like this.

and yeah im not trying to say anything else that the 2000's for gnr have been quite pathetic apart from some live shows/tours . . . . :(

Being a MJ fan was a particularly disheartening experience from 1998 till the day he died. We had one mediocre album, one clusterfuck anniversary concert, record label disputes, Martin Bashir documentary, baby dangling controversy, fresh child molestation allegations, years of inactivity, topped off by a series of comeback concerts which resulted in his eventual death.

Bet NuGNR doesnt seem so bad now, eh?

Edited by Towelie

Being a MJ fan was a particularly disheartening experience from 1998 till the day he died. We had one mediocre album, one clusterfuck anniversary concert, record label disputes, Martin Bashir documentary, baby dangling controversy, fresh child molestation allegations, years of inactivity, topped off by a series of comeback concerts which resulted in his eventual death.

Bet NuGNR doesnt seem so bad now, eh?

So sad about MJ :(

This is more about dysfunctional bands over feuding bands.

Prince has a history of disappointing fans and WTF decision making.

Sly and the Family Stone, Sly didn't show up for his own concerts back when they were headlining arenas (Prince's bassist Larry Graham came from The Family Stone, funny enough)

Usually the ones with siblings have their share of dysfunction - Jacksons and Beach Boys.

No, there is no other big name band that operates with such stupidity as GNR does. As soon as something is announced one can almost presume it will never happen. Ever. Interviews by any members (Axl being the exception) are worthless. I have seen the Rolling Stones in Hyde Park two weeks ago. With 70 years of age Mick Jagger easily outsings and outruns Axl by now. And he knows how to run this business: You can download the whole gig from iTunes by now and I'm sure a DVD is on the way and will come out this year (not in 2030). GNR has become a cruel and ridicoulus nightmare of obscourities for every fan by now. At this point all one can do is one thing: Smile and shut up!

GNR either is so increadibly wealthy that they dont need to release anyhthing or they are unmercifully stupid. The DVD alone would go platinum just from those who want it in thier collection.

I got sick of Axls half truths and silence about 1999. Yes im sure hes hell bent on making sure no one makes a dime off of his name and sweat equity..but for gods sake is there even an official band picture out there? Not some shot taken when they all happen to be in the same room togehter but an official one?

complaint complaint complaintS TRANSLATED MEANS:FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU.

Faith No More just did reunion tour for the money then diappeared. Blur come back sporadically. Oasis broke up. Nirvana milk the legacy. Zepp cant even write a new album or tour.

Only The Stones get the fully potential out of their pussies.