Film Thread

ssiscool

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3:10 to Yuma was fuckin' great. I really liked Russell Crowe in it and I was impressed by Ben Foster, he really fits the crazy nutcase role. Christian Bale was his usual self, but in a good way and not in a "Hey guys, I'm John Connor, for realz!" way. I liked the atmosphere and suspense, so yeah, a good 8.5 / 10.

Recently watched/re-watched

The Basketball Diaries

Meet Joe Black

I Love You, Man

The 40 Year Old Virgin

Knocked Up

Forgetting Sarah Marshall

The Hangover

Blood Diamond

Ghosts of Mars

A Beautiful Mind

Mulholland Drive

Tekken

The Bridge over the River Kwai

Festen

Thank You for Smoking

What Women Want

The Birds

City of God

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Sleepers

Grown-Ups

Guest Len B'stard

Third World Cop - a guy in jamaica comes back to his hometown as a cop to find out his best buddy is now a gangstaaaaaaaaaa

The Jokers - Oliver Reed and Michael Crawford are two nutty brothers who contrive to steal the crown jewels of England as a "gesture". Groovy Swinging 60s London movie that's HUGELY entertaining.

Burnt Offerings - Oliver Reed, Karen Black, Bette Davis, a sort of pre-Amityville/The Shining weird creepy fucked up satanic house movie, really well done actually, horror with class, the power of suggestion etc.

The Three Musketeers - Michael York, Oliver Reed, Raquel Welch, Charlton Heston, Dick Lesters semi comic take on the Dumas classic.

Haha, omg...

This is actually going to be a trilogy of films they're calling the Night Chronicles. The premise of this one sounds ridiculous.. Some people are stuck in an elevator and one of them is not who they say they are - The Devil. It almost sounds like a fucking parody.

The thing is Shyamalan isn't even directing these... and directing is the only thing he's actually decent at. So these films actually have the potential to be his worst yet.

Watched The Happening for the first time- and really wished I hadn't.

I was hoping to see gore and more rediculous deaths. People reactions to seeing the deaths were pathetic. And it bugged me that at the start and end of the film, there was one person that didn't get infected right away, even though everyone else around them had been.

I loved it when the guy shot those two kids though. I like it whe kids die in movies. Littles bastards that they are.

Then I watch Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs.

Loved it, I didn't know what to expect so I was pleasantly surprised and there were many laugh out loud moments. Especially the snowball fight scene. And the Mokeys thought box.

Lick... lick.. lick..

That film made up for the abomination I had just witnessed.

And just to add, I was going to see The Expendables at the cinema, but tickets are £9.50. That's almost $15. No fucking wonder people download films.

Movies were £7.50 last month.

Rediculous.

It won't even cost that much to buy it on DVD when it's out.

Guest Apollo

Watched Brothers. Wow. I had no idea that Tobey Maquire could actually act. The scene at the table with his daughters, and the scene where Tobey freaks out at the end (from the kitchen to the lawn)......amazing drama. Gut wrenching. And I forgot how pretty natalie portman is. The overall movie wasn't quite as good as I hoped, but I thought the acting was incredible.

After death...I think that was the name. Liam Nielson, Justin Long and Christina Ricci.....terrible, terrible movie. But Christina is naked all the way through it.

The Usual Suspects. Convoluted, pretentious, Hollywood cinema that is completely full of itself and just ends feeling totally contrived.

The acting was atrocious. Del Toro playing a quasi-latino, babbling constantly in his too-cool-to-speak-coherently accent. Stephen Baldwin tries so inconceivably hard and consequently fails just as much. One scene where he's wearing glasses at night and holding two pistols aimlessly and firing in front of the camera leaves him looking less like an intense stoic-badass and instead just looks like the spastic Baldwin with a spray-on goatee. Kevin Pollak, really? Half his lines felt as if he was staring directly at a teleprompter.

Kevin Spaceys dialog/narration was just cringe worthy and felt like a blatant Tarantino'esque rip off (as did most of the film). I like him as an actor, but I cannot understand how he received an Academy award for supporting actor in this film.

I watched this movie a few times over the last six months trying to figure out it's appeal and just couldn't do it. 3/10

The Usual Suspects. Convoluted, pretentious, Hollywood cinema that is completely full of itself and just ends feeling totally contrived.

The acting was atrocious. Del Toro playing a quasi-latino, babbling constantly in his too-cool-to-speak-coherently accent. Stephen Baldwin tries so inconceivably hard and consequently fails just as much. One scene where he's wearing glasses at night and holding two pistols aimlessly and firing in front of the camera leaves him looking less like an intense stoic-badass and instead just looks like the spastic Baldwin with a spray-on goatee. Kevin Pollak, really? Half his lines felt as if he was staring directly at a teleprompter.

Kevin Spaceys dialog/narration was just cringe worthy and felt like a blatant Tarantino'esque rip off (as did most of the film). I like him as an actor, but I cannot understand how he received an Academy award for supporting actor in this film.

I watched this movie a few times over the last six months trying to figure out it's appeal and just couldn't do it. 3/10

Ah, but Redfoot was very cool!

Been on a bit of a Christopher Nolan kick after seeing Inception last weekend, rewatched The Dark Knight the other night then have watched The Prestige and Memento today.

Honestly, can this guy do no wrong? Great director, Bale is fantastic in The Prestige and Memento had some great twists to it.