Film Thread

ssiscool

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i watched the new nightmare on elmstreet. i never watched the first so i was not familiar with the storyline.

best part was when i realized the main characters were supposed to be in high school. i loled.

The new NMOES wasn't a total crash-and-burn. Had great atmosphere and Haley gave Freddy way more credibility than Englund.

You should see the original for the sheer fact that it's now kind of a cultural statement. I don't know if Wes Craven was hip to it at the time, but he was making a movie about the nineteen-eighties and the secret troubles of youth hidden behind this kind of suburban facade. The neighborhoods are all crisp and green with these huge white homes. The dad is a sheriff right out the Regan-era, the mom is a hopeless alcoholic who never leaves her house..Nobody is really paying much attention to the kids, but the surface illusion is immaculate.

Plus, you can watch Johnny Depp in a performance that's as unremarkable as Rooney Mara's Nancy.

Edited by appetite4illusions

I watched The Hunter with Steve McQueen today, an ok film but it reminded me how much actors of his quality are missed now.

I thought it was pretty good. I think he had cancer at the time as he did in the film before or after, i can't recall which, called Tom something or other about an old indian tracker, bounty hunter/old west guy on the turn of the century, one of my all time favorite movies, i you should really check it out, it's called Tom Horn.

I would guess so on the cancer front sug, The Hunter was hist last role.I'll check the other one out though.

Watched Couples Retreat, an ok film with a decent cast but the only time i laughed was during the yoga scenes, they had me pissing myself but there were not enough laughs through the whole film

Oliver Stone raped what Natural Born Killers could have been. Interesting looking up Quentin Taratino's opinion of the matter and how he completely changed the message QT was trying to deliver.

I give the flick a 7/10

Quentin never has a message beyond how much he digs whatever movies he's paying homage too in any given film he's making. And he never will.

Stone was considerably more qualified to make a movie about the narcotic quality of violence (whether committing it or watching it for entertainment). He's dependably obvious and over does the political rhetoric, but it's a piece of virtuoso filmaking.

Oliver Stone raped what Natural Born Killers could have been. Interesting looking up Quentin Taratino's opinion of the matter and how he completely changed the message QT was trying to deliver.

I give the flick a 7/10

Tarantino put his own twist on the movie, and it was damn good IMO.

But of course, I like all of Quintens movies.

Edited by Forsaken

Overrated is an opinion.

Jackie Brown? Pulp Fiction? Reservoir Dogs? The Kill Bills? Man.... all those movies are written and directed perfectly. Especially Jackie Brown... my personal fav Tarantino movie.

Really, there was me thinking because i thought it, it was a fact :rofl-lol:

Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs i'll give you as great films, Jackie Brown was a good film but the Kill Bills were mind numbingly average films.Its just a taste thing

I give the flick a 7/10

Quentin never has a message beyond how much he digs whatever movies he's paying homage too in any given film he's making. And he never will.

Stone was considerably more qualified to make a movie about the narcotic quality of violence (whether committing it or watching it for entertainment). He's dependably obvious and over does the political rhetoric, but it's a piece of virtuoso filmaking.

You'd be the first person I'd come to for an educated opinion on movies or a suggestion for a good flic in general; saying that, I think the movie was far from virtuoso. The movie felt entirely obvious and in your face. I enjoy movies with messages from all over the political spectrum, but the movie was cheap in it's delivery and use of violence.

I should watch the movie again.

Edited by AbominableHoman

Quentin Tarantino's NBK script is nothing to write home about. People that think he was more qualified to direct that movie ought to actually read his draft. It's boring.

Tons of additional stuff on Wayne Gale (Quentin always fancied he would play the role) and way more pseudo-documentary exposition. It's stagnant and unpromising.

Oliver Stone saved that movie by bringing Mickey & Mallory to the forefront and giving them some dimension. As a piece of storytelling, it was much more solid in Stone's hands.

Quentin Tarantino's NBK script is nothing to write home about. People that think he was more qualified to direct that movie ought to actually read his draft. It's boring.

Tons of additional stuff on Wayne Gale (Quentin always fancied he would play the role) and way more pseudo-documentary exposition. It's stagnant and unpromising.

Oliver Stone saved that movie by bringing Mickey & Mallory to the forefront and giving them some dimension. As a piece of storytelling, it was much more solid in Stone's hands.

Having read QT's script, I agree entirely (although most of what gives Mallory dimension as a character I suspect owed more to Juliette Lewis's then ferocious talent than Stone's writing - he's never had any use for multi-dimensional female charcters). The movie is a tract on violence, and Stone was more qualified to tackle that (Vietnam vet) than Tarantino (violent movie fan).

Abs - all Stone's work is obvious and in your face. Sometimes it works, sometimes (especially in the last fifteen years) it doesn't. In NBK, it's an entirely intentional obviousness which was genuinely subversive.

Having read QT's script, I agree entirely (although most of what gives Mallory dimension as a character I suspect owed more to Juliette Lewis's then ferocious talent than Stone's writing - he's never had any use for multi-dimensional female charcters). The movie is a tract on violence, and Stone was more qualified to tackle that (Vietnam vet) than Tarantino (violent movie fan).

Abs - all Stone's work is obvious and in your face. Sometimes it works, sometimes (especially in the last fifteen years) it doesn't. In NBK, it's an entirely intentional obviousness which was genuinely subversive.

Hey! You forgot Rodney Dangerfield's cameo. :tongue2: