Film Thread

ssiscool

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone else think this year has been one of the best years for films in a long time?

Shutter Island

Inception

Toy Story 3

Four Lions

Kick Ass

Have all been a delight to watch and well worth the money to go see in a cinema.

Does anyone else think this year has been one of the best years for films in a long time?

IMO, it's been the worst since at least 2002. :rofl-lol::shrugs: I have high hopes for The Social Network, The Black Swan, Somewhere, etc redeeming it somewhat, but it's been pretty horrible.

Edited by Angelica

IMO, it's been the worst since at least 2002. :rofl-lol::shrugs: I have high hopes for The Social Network, The Black Swan, Somewhere, etc redeeming it somewhat, but it's been pretty horrible.

You kidding?

Inception and Shutter Island were two of the best films over the last ten years. Toy Story 3 was excellent. Four Lions was brilliant (if you're American you've probably never seen this, but I highly recommend it. It's a comedy/drama about four British Islamic extremists).

Kick ass was also a nice addition too. Hot tub time machine had a few good moments.

Beats shit from last year anyways. The Hangover :vomit:

You kidding?

Inception and Shutter Island were two of the best films over the last ten years. Toy Story 3 was excellent. Four Lions was brilliant (if you're American you've probably never seen this, but I highly recommend it. It's a comedy/drama about four British Islamic extremists).

Kick ass was also a nice addition too. Hot tub time machine had a few good moments.

Beats shit from last year anyways. The Hangover :vomit:

Agree on propers for Toy Story 3 and Hot Tub owning Hangover, disagree on almost everything else (haven't seen Four Lions, but not on account of being American). Shutter Island = a Hitchcock tribute without a sense of humor, which is like a Russ Meyer tribute without cleavage. I loathed it. Inception was good. Not great, and not The Prestige or Memento.

Great (or almost great) - The Ghost Writer, Toy Story 3, The Killer In Me, I'm Still Here, Animal Kingdom, Greenberg, How to Train Your Dragon

Good to reasonably good - Hot Tub, Kick-Ass, Piranha 3D, The Runaways, The Crazies, Salt, Exit Through the Gift Shop

...slow year, hope it turns around.

The Black Swan

I'm so gonna watch it :wub:

Edited by Angelica

The Other Guys - Hilarious. One of the funniest films I have seen recently.

best part, hands down:

at the crime scene, LOL

good tweet!"

i also loved hot tub time machine. it was fun and silly. am i going to be the asshole who says we got in that thing and went back in time?

JOHN LENNON GETS SHOT!! wait did that already happen?

Edited by Jackie Moon

I'm looking forward to The Black Swan, but something tells me that The Social Network could potentially bomb. The trailer looks great, but I have the feeling they crammed all the best bits into it....

I'm looking forward to The Black Swan, but something tells me that The Social Network could potentially bomb. The trailer looks great, but I have the feeling they crammed all the best bits into it....

Bomb in the sense of not making $...almost certainly, people are stupid. But the post-Toronto critical buzz was raptuours, and Fincher's been pretty steady with his one masterpiece, one interesting failure model since Se7en and The Curious Case of Benjaminzzzzzzzz was most certainly not a masterpiece so everything's very much on track. Plus Aaron Sorkin screenplay! :heart: No doubts here.

Edited by Angelica

Bomb in the sense of not making $...almost certainly, people are stupid. But the post-Toronto critical buzz was raptuours, and Fincher's been pretty steady with his one masterpiece, one interesting failure model since Se7en and The Curious Case of Benjaminzzzzzzzz was most certainly not a masterpiece so everything's very much on track. Plus Aaron Sorkin screenplay! :heart: No doubts here.

Well, whatever you do - don't read the book before you see the film. The book is tabloid, and the film takes it to a even higher level.

It's like watching A Beautiful Mind, knowing most of it is not true - but it is being sold to you as such.

Edited by SunnyDRE