United Abominations vs Death Magnetic

GnRmaniac

You Decide  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Good question, I've been thinking about making a thread like this. I'll break down my thoughts like this:

United Abominations 8/10

The Good: Crystal clear production, great (if slightly familiar) songwriting, a nice balance of speed and aggressiveness, very good vocal presence.

The Bad: Two or three throwaway tracks, Mustaine's lyrics are overbearingly political on this one and occassionally miss the mark badly.

Death Magnetic 7/10

The Good: Aggressive and fast as hell, some spectacular Hammett solos, loose and distinct drumwork. Consistent in terms of concept.

The Bad: Muddy and loud production, Hetfield's lyrics feel more detached and vague, many songs still go on far too long without reason, half of the songs feel like reworked AFJA tunes.

Overall, I like United Abominations better. It's an easier listen in terms of sound quality, and Dave Mustaine's renewed fire and sense of purpose carries the day. Death Magnetic isn't bad at all, but it never quite reaches greatness despite the presence of some excellent songs strewn across the record.

Edited by EccoTides

I think The System Has Failed vs Death Magnetic would be a closer race.

Death Magnetic takes this one out in any case. United Abominations was mildly disappointing for me..

Exactly. TSHF was a landmark release for Megadeth, especially after Risk and The World Needs a Hero. Obviously, TSHF nails St. Anger, but in a race with DM, that would be a tough choice.

Yikes DM wins with ease. The only gripes I have with DM are the clipping and the day that never comes mimicing one structurally. Whereas DM was an attempt to bridge their old and new, UA was far too full of rehashed riffs and even a remake of an older song as the first single in an embarrassing attempt to say "hey look, we're old school again, see, see, here are old school riffs"

United Abominations

I got shivers during dave's solo during "never walk alone" when they launch into the new beat and the heavy ass solo

However, I do think Death Magnetic is the return to form that sould have been for soooooo long

infact, in an ideal world, death magnetic would have come after the black album, with metallica going "yeah, now after commerciality lets make the best metal album in us right now in the old style and see if we can sell it with the new popularity we have"

Lemme make my point on people who slam megadeth:

if you were to make a "best of..." album, who would have a better album if you pulled atleast 3 songs off ever single album they made?