Is "Street Of Dreams" underrated?

GunsNRevolvers2

First off, I liked the name The Blues much much much better...considering it's used in the chorus at least.

Now, on topic, alot of people really dig Prostitute and This I Love, but where is the love for Street Of Dreams? I feel that it definitely surpasses Prostitute (which I love btw) and easily is on par with This I Love. Granted I have been listening to it since about 2004, and it has always been one of my favorite ChiDem songs...but overall it's a really catchy song, and I'm definitely surprised it was never released as a single, also considering the fact that it really features Axl's "mainstream recognized" voice and tone..unlike the title track "Chinese Democracy" which we all know was released as the first single, and was heavily criticized by mainstream fans saying, "it doesnt sound like Axl, it sucks" (even though the dual layer vocals in the verses had Axls higher pitched voice and his low tone -_-)

So yeah, any takers?

His vocals are awful on it, as he sounds old and whiney the first verse. Not to mention they ended up neutering the final version taking the guitar out of the intro. I think the song came off as too soft, there was just really no edge to it. When you compare it to something like don't cry, it just felt like it was missing something.

I still don't understand the hate for the final version, and I doubt I ever will. From a musical standpoint, the final version is vastly superior. More contour to the song, and it's a song that definitely benefits from contour. Granted Axl's vocals were better in '02, but all things considered I prefer the final version.

Pertaining to the topic, I think a lot of people sort of overlook it due to the fact that some of us originally heard it 9 years ago. Prostitute and This I Love, while having been known of for longer, are much fresher to our ears, with Prostitute leaking less than 2 years ago, and This I Love not leaking at all.

Street of Dreams is one of the strongest ballads Axl has written, his vocals on the studio version leave a bit to be desired but the song itself is great and from 01 - 06 it was one of the best songs they played live.

This I Love and Prostitute are waaayyy overrated on the message boards, but thats understandable since these are fan forums. I just hate how obvious it is that Axl was trying too hard with those ones, same deal with Estranged. November Rain will always be his best "over the top" ballad, that masterpiece can't be topped

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I liked it a lot when I first heard it. But that was one of these songs that you love in the beginning, but get tired of very soon. That's why I think it could do well in the radio.

Street of Dreams is one of the strongest ballads Axl has written, his vocals on the studio version leave a bit to be desired but the song itself is great and from 01 - 06 it was one of the best songs they played live.

This I Love and Prostitute are waaayyy overrated on the message boards, but thats understandable since these are fan forums. I just hate how obvious it is that Axl was trying too hard with those ones, same deal with Estranged. November Rain will always be his best "over the top" ballad, that masterpiece can't be topped

Pretty much agree 100%. SoD was an amazing song when played live in '01/'02. The new intro and all the little overproduction on the final version (for example, when Axl ends the song saying "inside of you", which is unnecessary and cringeworthy) really hurts the song. It's still a good song, but could've been way better. At least we have those old live versions. Less is more.

TIL and Prostitute, I must agree, they sound forced. There are many superior songs on Chi Dem. CITR is the big disappointment of the album, however. It was the best demo but they had to add all kinds of unnecessary guitar to a song that already worked. This to me is Axl's big problem, he writes great songs and then tries to make them larger than life but often loses the essence of the music. The highlights of the album to me are I.R.S., Riad, and ITW.

The only thing I disagree about is Estranged. I love that song.

To an extent. It's a great live song, but the studio version is lacking.

I agree about the studio version. I don't reach its full potential. I've always wanted to imagine that song more in the sound of estrange or breakdown or any other epic UYI song. The sound is to flat and overall produced in a way that doesnt fit my taste at all. The live version is sooooo much better. Though, the composition and combination of tunes are more than brilliant. The most brilliant song on CD. Axl really stretch his voice in a emotional way, and the song is overall far more interesting than TIL imo. Chord sessions and other stuff make it more potent.

It's hard.. really hard to make a song catchy and at the same time new and interesting. Street of Dreams is a successful example. It's the best song on CD without doubt. In my opinion of course..

Edited by shootingstar

His vocals are awful on it, as he sounds old and whiney the first verse. Not to mention they ended up neutering the final version taking the guitar out of the intro. I think the song came off as too soft, there was just really no edge to it. When you compare it to something like don't cry, it just felt like it was missing something.

Yep, but on recent live versions his vocals have been the strongest.. I would say ever? His voice is simply amazing on SOD this tour. The song have way more edge than the live version. It depends on how we want to define a song. Is it THE official studio version..? Or is it simply when its best? Judging on the last definition, I would say it's one of my top 5 songs of all time.

First off, I liked the name The Blues much much much better...considering it's used in the chorus at least.

The part you're speaking of:

And though as long as this road seems

I know it's called the street of dreams

But that's not stardust on my feet

It leaves a taste that's bittersweet

That's called the blues

Contains both "Street of Dreams" and "The Blues", so the title could have gone either way in all fairness. That's the only time in the song either title is spoken.

On topic, I think the studio version is far superior to the old live versions from 2002. I like how the guitar don't come in right away. It helps build the song up better instead of everything coming it at once. Great song and really great live!

I liked the live performances of this song when Axl sang them in his clean voice. the Leeds and Boston '02 versions come to mind.

The studio version contains for me great moments like when Axl screams 'is only memories' - that was a must for me and I'm glad

he chose to sing it that way for the studio version.

I don't like how Axl chose to end it with the 'inside of you' lyrics but I do like the 'what id tell you' lyrics. All in all, a great song, one of my favorites and not at all the studio let down Madagascar is.

i think so, i think there are several reasons.

i.e.

1.we are sick of it

2.the studio version wasnt quite what we expected and tainted it for several of us.

but when i put that aside and just listen to it, its really good. axls vocals are great, as is robins solo and i just like the vibe of the song in general. it seems every time i turn on q104 its playing lately, which is good to see.

Edited by Jackie Moon