GNR now. The best ever?

Route66

this thread is just stupid, nothing compares to the old gnr NOTHING, im glad to see axl finally happy and pleased dj ash is good but the rest dont hold a candle to the old gnr AND also they cant play estranged u dumbasses even slash found it difficult to play so the chances of these playing it well is remote at best, but its a big improvement on the 2001-2007 performances for sure

Do you seriously think that this current band, the most technically talented of all GnR history, cant play Estranged?! They can play something as difficult as Better or Shacklers Revenge, but not Estranged which for any guitar player is 50 notches down in terms of difficulty. Okay, Slash is not that good of a guitarist. A good guitar writer sure, but as pure skill Bumble and Bucket are ages ahead Slash.

Thats complete and utter bullshit for a start. The word "Technically" gets thrown about a lot but its just a term people who know fuck all about good guitar playing use when they want to sound clever.

I'm not too sure in what you want to say. Are you saying that all those 8 finger tap sweeps are something Slash can easliy do?

*Sigh* When did an 8 finger tap sweep ever make a song sound better. Wanking off the neck does not make you a better guitarist. When your in a band it doesnt matter how many 8 finger fret sweeps :rofl-lol: you make its about what your playing brings to the song as part of the band. Sometimes less is more my friend.

And yeah i'd say Slash could probably pull off the 8 finger death move if that was what he was interested in doing. But its plainly not.

So if a basketball player can't make a dunk, he's still a good basketball player because he prefers to dance around the coart when he makes a shot? I never said I didn't like Slash's playing, on the contrary I prefer it . But he isn't a good guitarist, he doesn't have the skill. He plays his own thing, and that's cool, but I doubt he can play Eruption from Van Halen, something Bumble learned when he was 12.

Let me put it to you like this.My favorite meal is sausages and mashed potatoe with onion gravy. Now a technically better cook than me could add some different herbs to the sausage or maybe use a different typr of onion. But Its a simple meal, dont fuck about with it, its perfect as it is. Sausage and mash doesnt need someone fannying about to make it great. Sausages and mash is what it is, just like rock n roll.

what can i say this person has nailed it amen to you mate

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How exactly the onion and mashed potatoes thingie contradicts the message that started it all ?

Okay, Slash is not that good of a guitarist. A good guitar writer sure, but as pure skill Bumble and Bucket are ages ahead Slash.

It just says "I don't care about pure skill"...

How exactly the onion and mashed potatoes thingie contradicts the message that started it all ?

Okay, Slash is not that good of a guitarist. A good guitar writer sure, but as pure skill Bumble and Bucket are ages ahead Slash.

Slash is the best sausage and mash (and onion gravy) recipe youve grown up with.

Bumble, while his new herbs and fancy gravy are delicious and some might say superior, they dont quite taste like the one you grew up enjoying. And whose to say that adding some herbs makes it a better sausage? I like my sausages just as they are.

I'll agree that Axl is in his best form since '93 - but at this point it's all that matters. Whatever the other guys in the band do isn't really of any importance. They are professional musicians, so yes they can play all of tunes but again that is expected, and nobody's going to the shows to see anyone but Axl.

Yes.

And you are free to like the good ol' receipe better ! A lot of people do !

But the new receipe takes skills to make it right. People can like or dislike it, it's up to them !

But they just can't deny that the second cook has mastered the art of cooking...

:xmasssanta:

( This is going nowhere )

To sum it up : you like eating what tastes good so you don't really care about the receipe itself and I'm more into cooking than in eating so that's why I like it when cooks experiment with herbs.

Edited by The Glow Inc.

Yes.

And you are free to like the good ol' receipe better ! A lot of people do !

But the new receipe takes skills to make it right. People can like or dislike it, it's up to them !

But they just can't deny that the second cook has mastered the art of cooking...

:xmasssanta:

( This is going nowhere )

To sum it up : you like eating what tastes good so you don't really care about the receipe itself and I'm more into cooking than in eating so that's why I like it when cooks experiment with herbs.

Yeah man totally, I can respect people like different twists on the recipe. As long as we can all agree that we all love the same dish :thumbsup:

NO denying how great the chemistry is with this current line up. Who ever thought we even be having this debate? This line up is tearing it up enjoy and who cares about 22 years ago! I am a living in the now type and this is best hard rock band out there and hope they bring this live show to the U. S. A soon!

I don't know if Bruce Springsteen is touring, but he sells a lot too

Springsteen is pretty much the champ when it comes to touring acts. He sells out nearly everywhere he goes, plays for roughly 3 hours nightly (34 actual songs ...not solos....at his last show in November) and changes the setlist almost nightly. There really isn't much more you can ask of a musician.

this thread is just stupid, nothing compares to the old gnr NOTHING, im glad to see axl finally happy and pleased dj ash is good but the rest dont hold a candle to the old gnr AND also they cant play estranged u dumbasses even slash found it difficult to play so the chances of these playing it well is remote at best, but its a big improvement on the 2001-2007 performances for sure

Do you seriously think that this current band, the most technically talented of all GnR history, cant play Estranged?! They can play something as difficult as Better or Shacklers Revenge, but not Estranged which for any guitar player is 50 notches down in terms of difficulty. Okay, Slash is not that good of a guitarist. A good guitar writer sure, but as pure skill Bumble and Bucket are ages ahead Slash.

Thats complete and utter bullshit for a start. The word "Technically" gets thrown about a lot but its just a term people who know fuck all about good guitar playing use when they want to sound clever.

I'm not too sure in what you want to say. Are you saying that all those 8 finger tap sweeps are something Slash can easliy do?

*Sigh* When did an 8 finger tap sweep ever make a song sound better. Wanking off the neck does not make you a better guitarist. When your in a band it doesnt matter how many 8 finger fret sweeps :rofl-lol: you make its about what your playing brings to the song as part of the band. Sometimes less is more my friend.

And yeah i'd say Slash could probably pull off the 8 finger death move if that was what he was interested in doing. But its plainly not.

+1

The greatest guitarists out there aren't figuring out ways to make guitar playing a technical feista, its more about playing somthing that is right for the song.

Case and point, first and second solo in better. First is an wankfest of guitar licks that don't go anywhere, while the second is simple but still gives me goosebumps.

Springsteen is pretty much the champ when it comes to touring acts. He sells out nearly everywhere he goes, plays for roughly 3 hours nightly (34 actual songs ...not solos....at his last show in November) and changes the setlist almost nightly. There really isn't much more you can ask of a musician.

Never considered Springsteen hard rock not even fair to compare

Never considered Springsteen hard rock not even fair to compare

I know, Scaramouche just said that Gn'R is the best band touring now and I brought Bruce to the table. He's a genius, play sold out shows in Stadiums across the world with 3 hours of varied setlist. Well, Axl is doing that too, but not in Stadiums (except South America) :thumbsup:

Edited by marlon_brando15

I saw him in Buffalo on November 22/2009. All I can say is WOW. 34 friggin songs and 3 hours and 32 minutes of rock. The dude is an absolute tank. Too say it doesnt matter because he doesnt player harder rock is just stupid. He is the ultimate live performer without a doubt

Edited by NightProwler

I saw him in Buffalo on November 22/2009. All I can say is WOW. 34 friggin songs and 3 hours and 32 minutes of rock. The dude is an absolute tank. Too say it doesnt matter because he doesnt player harder rock is just stupid. He is the ultimate live performer without a doubt

I've always considered Springsteen to be overrated.

Yes, he puts on long, energetic shows, but sometimes quality is better than quantity. I've seen him live, but would much rather see GNR, in any incarnation, any day of the week.

So, I stand by my earlier comment that GNR is the best touring show right now.

Slash is the best sausage and mash (and onion gravy) recipe youve grown up with.

Bumble, while his new herbs and fancy gravy are delicious and some might say superior, they dont quite taste like the one you grew up enjoying. And whose to say that adding some herbs makes it a better sausage? I like my sausages just as they are.

I was just about to put a similar analogy.

+1

The greatest guitarists out there aren't figuring out ways to make guitar playing a technical feista, its more about playing somthing that is right for the song.

Case and point, first and second solo in better. First is an wankfest of guitar licks that don't go anywhere, while the second is simple but still gives me goosebumps.

See for me I actually prefer the first solo! It gives so much energy into the breakdown that I just want to jump around and go crazy when it does come. Not taking anything away from the Robin solo, that is very brilliant as well.

I've always considered Springsteen to be overrated.

Yes, he puts on long, energetic shows, but sometimes quality is better than quantity. I've seen him live, but would much rather see GNR, in any incarnation, any day of the week.

So, I stand by my earlier comment that GNR is the best touring show right now.

To each their own I suppose. I was raised listening to his music so I can't help but love everything he does, because to me he is truly brilliant.

As for quality or quantity I wouldnt say he throws away quality by playing 3 hours. Hes been playing that length consistantly since '78 so its almost a comfort zone. He did play upwards into 4-4in a half hours in the 80's which was pushing it.

Springsteen's music sucks. That's definitely something more you could ask of a musician.

Springsteen's music sucks. That's definitely something more you could ask of a musician.

Lmfao coming from an Iron Maiden fan that doesn't mean much.

Lets not go nuts.

AFD and UYI lineups were much better.

No

Lets.

This lineup is a better live band than both of those.

Well maybe its just me then, but the vids I've seen of the old band are 10x better than what I've seen of the new band. I know you'll say "but you can't get the feel from a video, blah blah blah", but in my opinion, pretty much any of the performances off both the AFD and UYI tours top anything this incarnation has done live.

Fuck off, Steve Harris is five times the songwriter Springsteen could ever hope to be.

Fuck off, Steve Harris is five times the songwriter Springsteen could ever hope to be.

ahaha what are you high? Harris can't touch Springsteens songwriting at all. Born To Run is superior to everything Maiden has or ever will do