GNR now. The best ever?

Route66

Best touring band right now? Maybe, I dunno. Would prefer if they switched up the setlist more, to be honest. Thought they were gonna do it more than they are based off of the Asia shows. Best band in the world period? They'd have to make an album with this line-up to prove this. It's impossible to say who's the best anyways.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the best band out there hands down, I saw 4 shows on this tour and they light it up every night

mind you people say that every time they tour.

They said it in 02, and 06 also.

Well good for them..fans supporting the band at all times :thumbsup:

the new stuff is terrible and has always been. the best of chinese democracy, doesn't come close to the worst of the illusions.

and that is all i have to say about that......

That is one of the most RETARDED posts I have ever read.

Just out of interest, how many of those saying that the current line up is better, have actually been lucky enough to see all the line ups? I never got to see Adler, as I didn't get into Guns until the Illusions came out. My honest feeling is that from a techincal ability viewpoint, this current incarnation is the best. Old Guns were fairly sloppy live to be honest. But Axl sounded a lot better back then live. He didn't seem so out of breath before 2001. In terms of stage performance, that also goes to pre-2001. Slash Duff and Axl were the coolest guys I ever saw playing music together. They just had the perfect image for the music being played. But to be fair, DJ has given the band a good image boost, he certainly looks the part, and plays very well.

I am looking forward to the current line up making their own music, and playing their own music. Then we can truly make a fair comparison.

YES! I think that GNR now is better than ever!!!

Axl, DJ, Bumblefoot, Richard, Tommy, Frank, Dizzy and Chris - This is how GNR should be! Better than ever!

You're 16. All you have to compare are youtube clips.

I'm 35 and I saw the original line-up live and I think this band sounds better LIVE, even talking about when they cover the old stuff. Now, if you're talking about which album is better or which line-up is better for RECORDED music that's a whole different thread but a video of SCOM isn't anything to compare to the live show of today. The live shows from the old band were not as tight, the new band is rock solid. So yea, I agree the new band is the best live version in my opinion. Also, don't kid yourselves, Axl was out of breath back in the early 90's as well. The guy runs around on stage a LOT, how could you not be? Anyway, compare live shows to live shows not videos using studio recorded tracks to live shows....then feel free to disagree, it's all opinion but let's compare apples to apples at least. My opinion, the current line up is the best sounding live version of GNR.

Well for starters "tight" doesn't mean you're "better". And also, you have to factor in energy,danger and attitude.

This new band, no matter how technically "tight" they are will never match THAT. That band was sort of like the Sex Pistols live. Violent, dangerous and always on the edge. You never knew what the fuck was about to happen which made it a genuine rock show IMO. Maybe Slash fucked up a solo or Axl had trouble with his voice but goddamn the energy, intensity and passion was there.

The new band feels sterile and corporate by comparison.

That Perfect crime video proves everything. The old GNR was superb, unique, full of energy and some extremely creative music. It is difficult to admit but almost all the bands in the history were better during their young age. This is the same with GNR, Metallica and even Elvis was much better during his young age. Listening to old GNR concerts I always hear a much versatile, stronger, more interesting Axl voice. I would be the happiest if the new reincarnation could surpass the talent, fame and uniqueness of the old lineup.

I could not be more pleased with current events. The only way it could possibly be any better is if Slash, Duff, and Izzy were in the band. But, thats my opinion, so dont jump on me for it. I love that Axl is doin the twitter thing, that no shows have been cancelled, that his voice is sounding probably the best it has in concert since the UYI tour. I like Axl's voice, style, and stage presence so much more on this tour than I did when he did RIR3, or the VMAs in 2002, or the entire 02 tour. The 06 tour was a big step forward as far as his voice/vocals and his style( braids looked more "normal" on him, unlike 2002 when he looked like the Predator, and the baggy shit and jerseys seemed so ridiculous like he was trying too hard to be current, trying to show he was changing along with the whole hip hop culture becoming more mainstream in the late 90's early 2000's). His style was alot cooler in 06, and of course he regained his rasp for the first time since the old band if i remember correctly. All the shows post rock and roll HOF w/Springsteen featured helium Axl aka Mickey Mouse voice. So I was stoked to hear I believe it was Nightrain for Rock Am Ring in 06, with a good deal of rasp and Axl just kicking ass. I feared on this latest tour that maybe he would have lost the rasp he had gained back, just because of the fact that he is getting to the point where age starts to really alter and take away the vocal capacity/range. Ive noticed it quite a bit with other lead singers. Between 45-55 it seems like there is a real noticeable dropoff. No names are coming to mind right now, but I know I really noticed a trend once when I looked into it. So I am very very pleased to hear Axl's voice sounding so good. Of course on the current tour performances I have on my iPod there are some cringeworthy moments, but this is Axl. He's always been off and on. The main thing I notice is that he doesnt have the effortless power and control over his voice that he had from 87-94. But thats age. I expect that to happen. Overall Ive been so stoked listening to these shows every night on the ipod the last couple weeks. Its been awesome. Ill admit, I focus mainly on Axl, and dont pay as much attention to the other guys. They do a damn good job, Ill say that. I dont really have any complaints. They fuckin nail the old tunes as well as the new. Its just that for many reasons I prefer the old guys, the ones I grew to idolize when I was younger. And thats the reason I cant say this version is the best. I like to think the best(my favorite) incarnation of GNR would be about 1989. Of course they didnt really tour that year or anything. But I just say 1989 because its a mix between AFD/Lies era, and the very beggining of the UYI era. Axl was starting to sing with his more definied voice a little bit. They were fucking badass, and they were taking over the world. Anyways, that being said, Im way happy about the current state of affairs in "GNR". Im just happy Axl is out doin what he does best. What we all are constantly wanting him to do. He is out there touring the world, fronting GNR, and putting in every ounce of his energy into each performance. He doesnt sound as perfect as 1988, but until a time machine is invented, that voice aint comin back. Im more than happy to settle with the 2010 Axl. I just hope he continues to be active. Whether its touring, recording, writing, hell, even producing if he gets into that. Anything other than just hiding out in Malibu. Of course its his life and he can do whatever the fuck he wants, but hey, I just think he has a lot to offer. And I would think it would be healthier/more beneficial for him to be out working/recording/touring. Alright, I know, Im sounding like a weird celeb obsessed stalker now, talking about his wellbeing and health and shit. But hey, I just love to watch and hear the fuckin guy perform. He's my favorite singer of all time, from my favorite band of all time. If you read this entire long ass post, thank you. Many times I just skip ovre peoples posts if theyre too long. I got on a roll and couldnt stop lol

This is the best band out there hands down, I saw 4 shows on this tour and they light it up every night

That's called progress!

how is it progress if they do the same thing every time?

I was reffering to the band, not the fans...

That's called progress!

you're crazy if you think this band is gaining more fans then it is either losing or making "meh."

That's called progress!

you're crazy if you think this band is gaining more fans then it is either losing or making "meh."

The band since 2001 becomes better and better. Is that clear now? I am not talking about gaining or losing fans. The band itself and only the band...

That's called progress!

The band since 2001 becomes better and better. Is that clear now? I am not talking about gaining or losing fans. The band itself and only the band...

The "band" hasn't made progress because the "band" isn't the same "band" that we saw in 2001. There's been three different "bands" since RIR3. So technically, there can't be any progress since it's completely new.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Well, we can all agree that Axl has made progress. He sounded shit in 02, great in 06 and amazing in 10.

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

Well, we can all agree that Axl has made progress. He sounded shit in 02, great in 06 and amazing in 10.

I wouldn't say amazing because if he sounds amazing, then what did he sound like in 88? I'd say he sounds the best since 1993, without a doubt. Now if only he'd drop some weight and get in shape. Can you imagine how good he'd sound live? If he can sound this good in the shape he's in you just know he'd blow everyone away if he got on a treadmill.

That's called progress!

The "band" hasn't made progress because the "band" isn't the same "band" that we saw in 2001. There's been three different "bands" since RIR3. So technically, there can't be any progress since it's completely new.

So why do 3 different bands, have the same name?

I wouldn't say amazing because if he sounds amazing, then what did he sound like in 88? I'd say he sounds the best since 1993, without a doubt. Now if only he'd drop some weight and get in shape. Can you imagine how good he'd sound live? If he can sound this good in the shape he's in you just know he'd blow everyone away if he got on a treadmill.

wow. dude he's dropped quite a bit of weight since the taipei show, and its definately showing in his vocals and overall performance. he sounded good in taipei, but holy shit.... its like he's 20 years old again now....

---------

i think this is the best live lineup this band has ever had. granted, i never saw any of the AFD/UYI/'pre-cd' CD tours.... but ive seen the videos and heard the audios and whatnot. The show this band is putting on blows all the other tours away, and sound-wise i'd say they rival, maybe even surpass the original band. no joke. i still cant believe how fucking amazing this band is....

That's called progress!

So why do 3 different bands, have the same name?

I don't know...you'd have to ask Axl.

wow. dude he's dropped quite a bit of weight since the taipei show, and its definately showing in his vocals and overall performance. he sounded good in taipei, but holy shit.... its like he's 20 years old again now....

---------

i think this is the best live lineup this band has ever had. granted, i never saw any of the AFD/UYI/'pre-cd' CD tours....

So wouldn't it be fair to say, that you can't make a reasonable conclusion; since by your own admission, you've never seen the old band.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I'm sure we can find a fitting superlative. ;)

---------

i think this is the best live lineup this band has ever had. granted, i never saw any of the AFD/UYI/'pre-cd' CD tours....

So wouldn't it be fair to say, that you can't make a reasonable conclusion; since by your own admission, you've never seen the old band.

i think i can make a reasonable conclusion. even if it were just comparing bootlegs, i still think this lineup is the best. i dont care if you agree, if you check the original post it says "i think...". my opinion is that this is the best theyve sounded.

Todays band is, in my opinion, the best band in the "New GNR" era. With the guitar playing of DJ Ashba and Bumblefoot to Axl Rose's voice and image being back to the early 90's, I have to say this line up is awesome. The videos I saw of the tour are just awesome because the whole band in its entirety sounds awesome. I really want to see them live.

Now to this band being the best ever, no. Because the best 5 band members this band ever has will and always be Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, and Steven. That was the band that got the name GUNS N' ROSES huge. Of course I love the new band, the Appetite era line up will always be the best.

Until they make a album that sells 28 million worldwide (Appeite) they (todays GN'R) aren't the best but their really good.

The best GN'R line up ever! Has this new line up actually wrote a song together? Sure they play songs wrote by Axl and past members very well.

I don't deny that their appears to be good chemestry onstage with this line up and that Ashba has given them something that was missing but to say this tops the legendary GN'R is beyond a joke.

When they produce songs that top Sweet Child O' Mine, Welcome to the Junge,Paradice City,Patience,Mr Brownstone,Nightrain & Rocket Queen I'll then admit that Slash, Duff, Izzy & Steven have been buried & that Axl & his very talented new friends are the best.