GNR now. The best ever?

Route66

The best GN'R line up ever! Has this new line up actually wrote a song together? Sure they play songs wrote by Axl and past members very well.

I don't deny that their appears to be good chemestry onstage with this line up and that Ashba has given them something that was missing but to say this tops the legendary GN'R is beyond a joke.

When they produce songs that top Sweet Child O' Mine, Welcome to the Junge,Paradice City,Patience,Mr Brownstone,Nightrain & Rocket Queen I'll then admit that Slash, Duff, Izzy & Steven have been buried & that Axl & his very talented new friends are the best.

They've produced songs which rival most of those... apart from maybe SCOM.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, we can all agree that Axl has made progress. He sounded shit in 02, great in 06 and amazing in 10.

Yes. I could give a fuck about who's in the band (unless its Slash and co.) as long as Axl sounds the way he does now, I can't wait to see him! U.S. tour please!

The best GN'R line up ever! Has this new line up actually wrote a song together? Sure they play songs wrote by Axl and past members very well.

I don't deny that their appears to be good chemestry onstage with this line up and that Ashba has given them something that was missing but to say this tops the legendary GN'R is beyond a joke.

When they produce songs that top Sweet Child O' Mine, Welcome to the Junge,Paradice City,Patience,Mr Brownstone,Nightrain & Rocket Queen I'll then admit that Slash, Duff, Izzy & Steven have been buried & that Axl & his very talented new friends are the best.

They've produced songs which rival most of those... apart from maybe SCOM.

No...Axl's produced those songs. Remember, CD is his 'fuck you' album to everyone who he claimes went against him. All the other 10+ members are along for the ride, doing as he says.

Nobody is denying that these guys are taoented. The problem is, that each and every one of them seem to be easily replaceable. If anyone left this version of GNR ,would anyone outside of these boards care? Probably not. The old band caught lightning in a bottle. Before people bring up that these guys are better musicians than the old lineup.well big deal.The old band was never trying to be RUSH or Steve Vai or Dream Theater. Will I see this version?Of course but I have seen most lineups of GNR live and if Axl cans these guys and hires the Blue Man Group to back him up,well,I'll still be there.

It is more than a bit silly to even consider this lineup the best ever when so many have come and gone ,and we have no clue what songs written by these eight will sound like.

I think that you would be hard pressed to find anyone who was around for AFD/UYI (and by around I mean aware of GNR or at the shows, not a 6 year old kid who was listening to his parents UYI's in 1991) that considers this the best GNR ever simply because they were lucky enough to witness the magic firsthand.

self-de⋅lu⋅sion

–noun

the act or fact of deluding oneself.

That pretty much explains everything.

Edited by Nintari

Um, no.

The new lineup is solid and they're putting on good shows, but quite frankly, the original GN'R was more of a legitimate "band." Any time a band becomes highly popular and starts playing to stadiums, it loses something special. That's why the Stones, U2, etc., were all better in the early days. The new band is putting on some fun shows but will never live up to the pure awe of the Ritz show, for example.

That being said, don't accuse me of being some kind of prejudiced fan. I think the Illusion tours suffered from the same problem. Solid performances, but they had nothing on the '88/'89 band.

Edited by Estranged Reality

Um, no.

The new lineup is solid and they're putting on good shows, but quite frankly, the original GN'R was more of a legitimate "band." Any time a band becomes highly popular and starts playing to stadiums, it loses something special. That's why the Stones, U2, etc., were all better in the early days. The new band is putting on some fun shows but will never live up to the pure awe of the Ritz show, for example.

That being said, don't accuse me of being some kind of prejudiced fan. I think the Illusion tours suffered from the same problem. Solid performances, but they had nothing on the '88/'89 band.

This is probably the most legitimate argument I've seen in this whole thread.

Um, no.

This is probably the most legitimate argument I've seen in this whole thread.

Um no...this is

self-de⋅lu⋅sion

–noun

Nobody is denying that these guys are taoented. The problem is, that each and every one of them seem to be easily replaceable. If anyone left this version of GNR ,would anyone outside of these boards care? Probably not. The old band caught lightning in a bottle. Before people bring up that these guys are better musicians than the old lineup.well big deal.The old band was never trying to be RUSH or Steve Vai or Dream Theater. Will I see this version?Of course but I have seen most lineups of GNR live and if Axl cans these guys and hires the Blue Man Group to back him up,well,I'll still be there.

It is more than a bit silly to even consider this lineup the best ever when so many have come and gone ,and we have no clue what songs written by these eight will sound like.

I think that you would be hard pressed to find anyone who was around for AFD/UYI (and by around I mean aware of GNR or at the shows, not a 6 year old kid who was listening to his parents UYI's in 1991) that considers this the best GNR ever simply because they were lucky enough to witness the magic firsthand.

self-de⋅lu⋅sion

–noun

That pretty much explains everything.

Well,that and as BBA says we have a ton of kids on here who are now GNR educators. Basically they weren't around for AFD/UYI (which is not a dig at them,you can't control when you were born,Fuck,I wish I was around when The Doors [not the 21st century doors either] were touring. However, I don't go around trying to educate those who were around then about the band) yet they will come on here and worship whoever is in the band currently.I prefer Brain and Bucket over Ron and Frank. If Ron and Frank are out then the GNR -Educators will be on here praising the newest additions to the band. All they know are the ever changing lineups and that is why they find it hard to understand that some people "can't let go" of Slash,Duff,Izzy,Steven,etc.

To whoever brought up 8 finger tapping,who gives a fuck? I don't hear any of that in SCOM ,yet it is a timeless song.

I don't think this is a case of innocent youth, mistakenly putting the current band over the original. No, not by a mile. I think this is no different then the people who claim Elvis is alive simply because they can't handle the truth. When people love something dearly they don't want to let go and the fact that this band shares the same name and lead singer gives them their justification. Putting the new band below the old, even if it's painfully obvious to them, would be accepting that their worship is, in fact, false.

What overly obsessed person would want to do that? It's better to believe what you want then to deal with what you don't.

Edited by Nintari

I suppose each line up was perfect at the time. This new one seems to working great for now.

Bringing a more devil may care party vibe to the live shows is really appreciated in the new depression era. Axl is like John Dillinger of the 21st century.

I suppose each line up was perfect at the time. This new one seems to working great for now.

Bringing a more devil may care party vibe to the live shows is really appreciated in the new depression era. Axl is like John Dillinger of the 21st century.

i love you man~

Um, no.

Agree to that...

This is the best band out there hands down, I saw 4 shows on this tour and they light it up every night

mind you people say that every time they tour.

They said it in 02, and 06 also.

That's called progress!

how is it progress if they do the same thing every time?

I was reffering to the band, not the fans...

you're crazy if you think this band is gaining more fans then it is either losing or making "meh."

The band since 2001 becomes better and better. Is that clear now? I am not talking about gaining or losing fans. The band itself and only the band...

The "band" hasn't made progress because the "band" isn't the same "band" that we saw in 2001. There's been three different "bands" since RIR3. So technically, there can't be any progress since it's completely new.

What are you trying to say? We're comparing GNR in all forms, from 1985 till today. The band someone saw in 19887, is fifferent than the line up in 1992. Can't we compare them?

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Um, no.

Agree to that...

This is the best band out there hands down, I saw 4 shows on this tour and they light it up every night

mind you people say that every time they tour.

They said it in 02, and 06 also.

That's called progress!

how is it progress if they do the same thing every time?

I was reffering to the band, not the fans...

you're crazy if you think this band is gaining more fans then it is either losing or making "meh."

The band since 2001 becomes better and better. Is that clear now? I am not talking about gaining or losing fans. The band itself and only the band...

The "band" hasn't made progress because the "band" isn't the same "band" that we saw in 2001. There's been three different "bands" since RIR3. So technically, there can't be any progress since it's completely new.

What are you trying to say? We're comparing GNR in all forms, from 1985 till today. The band someone saw in 19887, is fifferent than the line up in 1992. Can't we compare them?

Someone said that this band has made alot of progress from RIR3 and I was just pointing out how that's technically impossible considering that it's a different group of guys.

Someone said that this band has made alot of progress from RIR3 and I was just pointing out how that's technically impossible considering that it's a different group of guys.

Yes but they have improved a lot from 2007 too and the only new guy is DJ Ashba...

Axls voice was pretty awesome in 2007

I would say Axl's voice was very similar to now

The only difference being Axl is in a better mood

Edited by ThinkAboutYou

Yes but they have improved a lot from 2007 too and the only new guy is DJ Ashba...

Axls voice was pretty awesome in 2007

I would say Axl's voice was very similar to now

The only difference being Axl is in a better mood

I disagree.

I think this is the strongest I've heard Axl's voice since the Illusions days. It's way better than in 2007.