Official Toronto Thread 1/28/10

Blaine_sixx

Guns N' Roses Lose 'Patience' in Toronto

Waiting for Axl Rose is a state most Guns N' Roses fans are well accustomed to by now. It famously took 15 years for Rose to release 'Chinese Democracy.' Then almost two more years for Axl and his hired Guns to take it on a tour which is currently crossing Canada.

Still, the mood was getting tumultuous in Toronto's Air Canada Center last night as the clocked crept towards 11:30pm and the boos let up only when a lady doffed her top for the jumbotron. It was starting to get worrisome. After all, GN'R has sparked two full fledged riots in Canada -- in Montreal in 1992 and in Vancouver a decade later.

Then Axl rolled out in a wheelchair and did something utterly unexpected. He apologized. "Sorry abut the time delay," he said with a sheepish grin beneath his new handlebar mustache. "I got carried away jumping off sh-- last night."

Alas, the two-hour delay meant songs had to be cut from Guns N' Roses setlist to finish by 2am -- ironically including 'Patience.'

But after a tepid response to 'Chinese Democracy' as the opening track, all seemed forgiven the second the Axl screeched, "You know where you are? You're in the jungle, Toronto, you're gonna dieeee." They then barreled headfirst into 'Appetite for Destruction' classics 'It's So Easy' and 'Mr Brownstone.'

Unlike their past two tours, this was Axl's chance to properly trot out his new songs – unfortunately, 'Chinese Democracy' resembles those 'Star Wars' prequels. Aside from a few flashes of greatness -- encore number 'Madagascar' is a 'November Rain' style epic purpose-built for stadium performances while aching ballad 'This I Love' provided nice counterpoint -- the songs just don't have much soul.

Same goes for Axl's band -- they're an extremely talented bunch, especially onetime Replacements bassist Tommy Stinson and new, Slash-esque guitar hero DJ Ashba -- but as fans discussed ad nauseum during the delay, they're not quite the same.

"We're gonna do this for our good friend J.D. Salinger, who passed away today," Axl said mid-concert, launching into 'Catcher in the Rye.' It was an interesting callout because of the similarities -- and differences -- the two men share. Both were reclusive artistic geniuses whose early work encapsulated the aimless anger of youth. But while Salinger holed up in his home and adamantly refused to follow-up his seminal work, Rose almost drove himself crazy trying to outdo his past. Ultimately, he failed and, in doing so, lessened his legend.

http://www.spinner.com/2010/01/29/guns-n-roses-tour-toronto/

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waiting for Axl Rose is a state most Guns N' Roses fans are well accustomed to by now. It famously took 15 years for Rose to release 'Chinese Democracy.' Then almost two more years for Axl and his hired Guns to take it on a tour which is currently crossing Canada.

Still, the mood was getting tumultuous in Toronto's Air Canada Center last night as the clocked crept towards 11:30pm and the boos let up only when a lady doffed her top for the jumbotron. It was starting to get worrisome. After all, GN'R has sparked two full fledged riots in Canada -- in Montreal in 1992 and in Vancouver a decade later.

Then Axl rolled out in a wheelchair and did something utterly unexpected. He apologized. "Sorry abut the time delay," he said with a sheepish grin beneath his new handlebar mustache. "I got carried away jumping off sh-- last night."

Alas, the two-hour delay meant songs had to be cut from Guns N' Roses setlist to finish by 2am -- ironically including 'Patience.'

But after a tepid response to 'Chinese Democracy' as the opening track, all seemed forgiven the second the Axl screeched, "You know where you are? You're in the jungle, Toronto, you're gonna dieeee." They then barreled headfirst into 'Appetite for Destruction' classics 'It's So Easy' and 'Mr Brownstone.'

Unlike their past two tours, this was Axl's chance to properly trot out his new songs – unfortunately, 'Chinese Democracy' resembles those 'Star Wars' prequels. Aside from a few flashes of greatness -- encore number 'Madagascar' is a 'November Rain' style epic purpose-built for stadium performances while aching ballad 'This I Love' provided nice counterpoint -- the songs just don't have much soul.

Same goes for Axl's band -- they're an extremely talented bunch, especially onetime Replacements bassist Tommy Stinson and new, Slash-esque guitar hero DJ Ashba -- but as fans discussed ad nauseum during the delay, they're not quite the same.

"We're gonna do this for our good friend J.D. Salinger, who passed away today," Axl said mid-concert, launching into 'Catcher in the Rye.' It was an interesting callout because of the similarities -- and differences -- the two men share. Both were reclusive artistic geniuses whose early work encapsulated the aimless anger of youth. But while Salinger holed up in his home and adamantly refused to follow-up his seminal work, Rose almost drove himself crazy trying to outdo his past. Ultimately, he failed and, in doing so, lessened his legend.

Where are all the hateful comments about this review? C'mon guys you know if someone doesn't give a 100% positive review, he is a complete asshole.

I just find it interesting how Lethal Weapon selects the bits he agrees with, and leaves out the positive stuff. From the very same review.

Not that it matters much to Axl, who ran around the stage like a young man. He was in far better shape than on his last two tours, both physically and mentally. Up there on an arena stage, in front of 21,000 fans, he's rarely looked happier.

And when the guitars chimed out the indelible opening riff to 'Sweet Child O' Mine' or the chorus to 'Paradise City' sparked a thousands-strong sing-along, the crowd looked just as content.

And why hate on a negative review? If you don't like the show, you don't like the show, but it seems that some reviewers go in with the mindset of it "not being the real GNR" and this gets in their way when they're reviewing the show afterwards. Common for many reviews is that they spend more time talking about what wasn't there instead of what was. We all know the story by now.

Edited by Demon Wolf

ITS STOOOOOPIDDD face facts people will not love this gnr all the time, i agree they doing awesome, but 8 good shows in 17 years is hardly going to make me go and have a wank !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love axl rose to bits but he has alot of making upto all his fans that have put up with his crap over the years

Is this the best you can do?! c'mon BBA keep diggin' !

I dont really ever post. i usually am checkin out the forum everyfew days keepin my self posted SINCE I HAVE BEEN A DIE HARD SINCE I LEARNED TO SPEAK!!!

This concert was the night of my life. The review is right about everything. Axl's voice was fuckn amazing. I must say, for the first time, i feel this band has not only held its own to the old guns, but surpassed them with the talent and the ability to make you feel like your still at a GUNS N' FUCKIN ROSES show!!!

DJ Ashba had completely gained my full respect and is now my favourite GNR guitarist. This guys interaction with the crowd is not only awesome but genuine at the same time.

I was at the front by the stage where Ashba was rockin out most. He was throwin us picks all night, Finally I caught one!!! it was a hard one with his signature on one side and the new official GNR logo with the stars on the back. It was fuckn awesome!!!!

When Ashba jumped off stage during the outro to Paradise City he came right to me and my uncle, hopped on the front fences and we held him up while he whaled away! this is a moment that felt so surreal I am still fuckin gettin goosebumps thinkin about it. HE WON MY ULTIMATE RESPECT AND in my opinion, he felled that gap with respects to his persona and character that slash had. I love slash but DJ has proved himself in my opinion. i gave Ashba an envelope with a Canada flag zippo and some note or something for this girl beside me since she couldnt throw it. she was estatic with the show as wel

Axl was fuckin amazing screaming his ass off with no flaws that i could hear. At the end of the show he saw me and my uncle going nuts waving at him so he gave the security guard a shot of tequila and nodded him over to us. I HAD A SHOT WITH AXL!!!!!!!!

i even caught that stupid bra the review was talking about! didnt keep it though. who evers that was though was fat, and had big titties for sure lol.

Anyways this was the night of my life and i could not let it go with out sharing even if i just blabbered on! GUNS N ROSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! rock3 rock3 rock3 rock3

I dont really ever post. i usually am checkin out the forum everyfew days keepin my self posted SINCE I HAVE BEEN A DIE HARD SINCE I LEARNED TO SPEAK!!!

This concert was the night of my life. The review is right about everything. Axl's voice was fuckn amazing. I must say, for the first time, i feel this band has not only held its own to the old guns, but surpassed them with the talent and the ability to make you feel like your still at a GUNS N' FUCKIN ROSES show!!!

DJ Ashba had completely gained my full respect and is now my favourite GNR guitarist. This guys interaction with the crowd is not only awesome but genuine at the same time.

I was at the front by the stage where Ashba was rockin out most. He was throwin us picks all night, Finally I caught one!!! it was a hard one with his signature on one side and the new official GNR logo with the stars on the back. It was fuckn awesome!!!!

When Ashba jumped off stage during the outro to Paradise City he came right to me and my uncle, hopped on the front fences and we held him up while he whaled away! this is a moment that felt so surreal I am still fuckin gettin goosebumps thinkin about it. HE WON MY ULTIMATE RESPECT AND in my opinion, he felled that gap with respects to his persona and character that slash had. I love slash but DJ has proved himself in my opinion. i gave Ashba an envelope with a Canada flag zippo and some note or something for this girl beside me since she couldnt throw it. she was estatic with the show as wel

Axl was fuckin amazing screaming his ass off with no flaws that i could hear. At the end of the show he saw me and my uncle going nuts waving at him so he gave the security guard a shot of tequila and nodded him over to us. I HAD A SHOT WITH AXL!!!!!!!!

i even caught that stupid bra the review was talking about! didnt keep it though. who evers that was though was fat, and had big titties for sure lol.

Anyways this was the night of my life and i could not let it go with out sharing even if i just blabbered on! GUNS N ROSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! rock3 rock3 rock3 rock3

Sounds like you had an awesome time man! Can't wait for a US tour!!

have to agree with you on most things but axl voice on catcher was awful too many late nights for the old geezer haha but he has imporoved to his credit

Great review! I was sitting above you and saw a lot of it. You'll have awesome memories of this forever. I agree with you, DJ has won me over and filled that Slash gap. You can tell Axl really likes the guy. He's energetic, great charisma, and into his fans. And he was having such a great time being part of GnR. I was so happy we were on that side of the venue. We had DJ most of the night.

ITS STOOOOOPIDDD face facts people will not love this gnr all the time, i agree they doing awesome, but 8 good shows in 17 years is hardly going to make me go and have a wank !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love axl rose to bits but he has alot of making upto all his fans that have put up with his crap over the years

He doesn't owe you or me fuck all. So what, he's been outta the spotlight. NO artist goes away that long only to return to superstardom in a few shows. Put yourself in check. I'm sure if you went away, no one would care. But Axl... Everyone cares. Enjoy whatcha got before it disappears. I hate people that bash Axl, yet will buy a ticket and download every fuckin' thing as soon as it comes out. I've always been an fan and support G N'R to the fullest extent. That includes defending their reputation against people like you. Don't take it personal. It's just how I see it.

Great review! I was sitting above you and saw a lot of it. You'll have awesome memories of this forever. I agree with you, DJ has won me over and filled that Slash gap. You can tell Axl really likes the guy. He's energetic, great charisma, and into his fans. And he was having such a great time being part of GnR. I was so happy we were on that side of the venue. We had DJ most of the night.

Who the fuck is Slash?

I don't get this. What does he owe you? He makes a record, you like it you buy it. You don't, you don't buy it. He doesn't owe you another record. He's touring, you want to go, go, you don't, don't go. He doesn't owe you another tour. He didn't ask you to love him to bits and he never asked anyone to put up with his crap. You could leave, you could stop listening. What does he owe you?

I don't get this. What does he owe you? He makes a record, you like it you buy it. You don't, you don't buy it. He doesn't owe you another record. He's touring, you want to go, go, you don't, don't go. He doesn't owe you another tour. He didn't ask you to love him to bits and he never asked anyone to put up with his crap. You could leave, you could stop listening. What does he owe you?

Amen. Nobody owes you. Not one goddamn thing!!!!

Edited by MicEffecT

Who the fuck is Slash?

One of the early guitar players who couldn't hack it.

Guns N' Roses Prove Sometimes You Can't Go Back Home Again

Guns N' Roses circa 2010 can definitely cut it in technical proficiency — all are talented musicians. They're not exactly left in the background while Rose takes the spotlight (all three guitarists got their own instrumental solos). But the sense of menace and seething anger is missing from the current incarnation. It's what drew me to them as an impressionable 12-year-old.

While Rose still carries these qualities with him everywhere he goes, the rest of the band seem subservient to his whims. It's not that the original line-up didn't have to deal with his antics; they put up with quite a lot, in fact. But the group always felt like a unit who had lived the nihilistic lyrics of their songs and had come together to take on the world. It's a quality that you can't replicate and no matter how good this band gets, Guns N' Roses will never have that again.

http://www.chartattack.com/reviews/79008/guns-n-roses-prove-sometimes-you-cant-go-back-home-again

This guy put into words what I could "feel" after seeing the show, but somehow couldn't explain. The new band is great, the show was great, but this:"But the group always felt like a unit who had lived the nihilistic lyrics of their songs and had come together to take on the world. It's a quality that you can't replicate and no matter how good this band gets, Guns N' Roses will never have that again", is absolutely spot on. That being said, even if the "original" afd lineup was still together, it would likely be the same ie that "spark" would no longer be there imo. They're all older now, have lots of money, have passed all the original angst that drove them, etc. I love chi dem, so I do not agree with the part where the reviewer says the tunes were "snoozers" or whatever, but I do agree with the part about the band kinda just "whisking" through the afd tunes kinda like "hafta play em" sort of deal. If, for example, this new lineup, writes/records/tours a new album, that "they" created, the feeling might be different imo. And totally agree with YCBM kicking major ass (november rain also, even though Im not a big fan of it other than the solos).

Cheers

TV

Guns N' Roses circa 2010 can definitely cut it in technical proficiency — all are talented musicians. They're not exactly left in the background while Rose takes the spotlight (all three guitarists got their own instrumental solos). But the sense of menace and seething anger is missing from the current incarnation. It's what drew me to them as an impressionable 12-year-old.

While Rose still carries these qualities with him everywhere he goes, the rest of the band seem subservient to his whims. It's not that the original line-up didn't have to deal with his antics; they put up with quite a lot, in fact. But the group always felt like a unit who had lived the nihilistic lyrics of their songs and had come together to take on the world. It's a quality that you can't replicate and no matter how good this band gets, Guns N' Roses will never have that again.

http://www.chartattack.com/reviews/79008/guns-n-roses-prove-sometimes-you-cant-go-back-home-again

This guy put into words what I could "feel" after seeing the show, but somehow couldn't explain. The new band is great, the show was great, but this:"But the group always felt like a unit who had lived the nihilistic lyrics of their songs and had come together to take on the world. It's a quality that you can't replicate and no matter how good this band gets, Guns N' Roses will never have that again", is absolutely spot on. That being said, even if the "original" afd lineup was still together, it would likely be the same ie that "spark" would no longer be there imo. They're all older now, have lots of money, have passed all the original angst that drove them, etc. I love chi dem, so I do not agree with the part where the reviewer says the tunes were "snoozers" or whatever, but I do agree with the part about the band kinda just "whisking" through the afd tunes kinda like "hafta play em" sort of deal. If, for example, this new lineup, writes/records/tours a new album, that "they" created, the feeling might be different imo. And totally agree with YCBM kicking major ass (november rain also, even though Im not a big fan of it other than the solos).

Cheers

TV

I'm gonna be nice. Ya sound naive. It really sucks that you know the vibe haschanged but still buy a ticket. Axl thanks you...

Cheers

TV

But that "come together to take on the world" thing that everyone loved about GnR wouldn't be gone now if they reunited just because they got older. It was gone even before Izzy left - 20 years ago. They felt that in the early years, when they all lived together in tiny apartments and had no money. It was actually only there for a couple of years. Then as Duff has said, the entourage got bigger, the drug dealers were on call... Besides, none of us would have seen much of that. We would see the comraderie on stage - and that's what we saw on this tour. And I really saw it in Toronto. I've probably watched every YouTube GnR video and I just don't see it any better with the AFD or UYI lineups. These guys on this tour appear to really like each other, and are having a great time.

And I thought DJ was pretty into the old tunes. He was psyching the crowd up for WTTJ and SCOM quite a bit from what I could see. I think sometimes people make their minds up before they go. I saw a band put everything into every song, and I'm glad that's the band that I experienced.