Official Toronto Thread 1/28/10

Blaine_sixx

I literally just woke up from a dream that Estranged was played. All the comments on the forum lately are getting to me. :lol:

Solid setlist considering the late night, I know a lot of us were getting worried they'd have to really cut it down but they still did a good two and a half hours. Good see to Catcher back!

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he's getting blasted in the comments! obviously not fans, just people that go to the show for something to do.

comments are at the bottom of the page.

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/entertainment/music/article/69018--guns-n-roses-show-up-hours-late-to-acc-show

jeez what a stupid thing to say they spend 80 dollars to go to a gnr concert just for something to do really get real, lets hear the truth ok rather than a one sided gnr fan side, lots of people are saying last nights concert was a poor one, lets hope axl rests up better for next one

Great show. Hamilton had better sound from where I was sitting (ACC sucks up in the rafters) but that was my choice to get cheap seats.

Had a blast, gave high fives to everyone around me, didn't hurt that me and my buddy went to the GnR preshow party at the Loose Moose and drank 5 pitchers of beer, plus a few more large, yet expensive drafts, at the ACC. Good times. Enough about me.

Axl coming on late was hilarious, fuck em if they can't take a joke. Love the wheelchair...I was like, holy shit, he's gonna do the entire show from his chair WTF??? and then he jumped out of it, funny as hell.

Catcher was great to hear, wished they would have played TWAT and Prostitute, but the show was awesome nonetheless. Toronto crowd could have been livelier but eh, what can you expect from us conservative folks. Next show in Ottawa, see you all there!!!

Posted this on HTGTH also:

Great show. Axl was chatting all night. Talked about basically going to Asia without management and more or less how it's the same on this tour. Mentioned partying in Montreal. Fortus speaks! Never heard him on the mic before, he was joking with Axl about Axl dancing drunk the night before. Axl also referenced jumping off shit (the piano in Montreal the night before?), being late, and in a really nice moment in Knockin' On Heaven's Door, talked about really wanting to play in Canada and how hard it was to get the tour together (this is where he mentioned management).

Also, he had an awesome Bubbles story - said a friend of Bubbles really wanted to be at the Toronto show but had to be in Europe on business. Bubbles texts Axl this story - the friend walks into a bar and meets Jimmy Page. Says she's from Canada and Page says "really? Do you know this show with these three trailer trash guys?" and she says "yeah I'm texting Bubbles right now" and Page got all excited

The band looked like they were having a blast! A lot of jokes. To quote Axl, "Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke"

Played Catcher and dedicated it to J.D. Salinger.

The Bras on guitars were cute - there was actually two I believe and one got passed around.

Great crowd. Slaughtered Hamilton - I thought the Hammer was a rock n' roll town?

This I Love goes over great live. So does DJ.

Ron playing two guitars on If the World is cool, and surprisingly - since I'm not a big fan of it on the album - it goes over really well live also.

I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff. Everyone I went with had a great time. In fact a few non-fans who were tagging along really had a good time with the shows I've been to this tour.

The Sun posted attendence at 21,000 - it wasn't, I know why they put that, it's the hockey/full venue capacity so they were like "this looks sold out" and posted the first capacity they found. The show was 95% sold out. Nothing tarped off, a few sections at the back upper levels a bit thin but great showing. Probably about 15,000 or so.

Again, awesome crowd! No complaints other than - security/pay duty cops were DICKS! The guys and gals checking tickets were super nice! But the security inside in the bar areas were complete tools on power trips. Hassling people, rude, threatening - I know a few people got dragged off the floor and I'm sure some deserved it (one dude was passed the fuck out) but that's no reason to hassle the rest of us. ACC has quickly become my least favorite venue... hopefully next time the band is here it's summer and they play the Ampitheatre!

Back from the show too. Yeah, I would've liked Axl to start at 10:30, but why all the shock that he came on at 11:30? I remember back in 2006, I think both shows I saw he started well after 11pm. GN'R fans should be conditioned by now to realize that they may be waiting around a while. But yeah, the crowd was getting a bit restless and started booing every time one of the songs playing on the PA ended and GN'R didn't take the stage.

All in all the show lasted about how long I expected, 2.5 hours. Perhaps we got short changed on a few songs. Hamilton was the better show for me. Not that the band performed better there, actually I felt that they were probably better tonight. Axl was moving around more than he was at the Hamilton show, not that he wasn't moving lots there, but tonight it was almost like watching Axl in his prime. I guess with every show his conditioning improves. In Hamilton though, we were so damn close to the stage and just had a fantastic view, while tonight I was much further away.

Pretty good sound tonight, though there were times that Axl's vocals weren't loud enough. Not sure what the problem was there. The wheelchair, I think it was just Axl kidding around after he showed up late. Like lay off, I've got a good reason, I'm in a god damn wheelchair!

Ron Thal is the fucking man. He is stealing the show on guitar, IMO. And those guitars of his are so damn sexy. Watching DJ is like watching Slash, the top hat and the way he moves, I'm sure he's emulating the man. Never been a huge Fortus fan, but he's got tons of energy up there and is pretty fun to watch too, and the man can play. Can't really complain about these guys, other than to say none of them is Slash (:shrugs:), but Axl's assembled a pretty kick ass group of performers.

I'm starting to like TIL more and more, Axl just belts out those lyrics. Sounds amazing in a live setting. Paradise City was the best sounding I've heard the new band play it, ever! CITR, fuck yes! Love the song. The album version is an abomination, however. Hopefully we get to hear a great quality live version in bootleg form, because it sounded really great tonight. It still won't be up to par against the demo though. All that said, many fans were clearly not there to hear new material. As more and more new songs got played and the night started to drag on I think the late start hurt in this respect as many people cut out early.

The show was closer to capacity than Hamilton. I pegged Hamilton at 75% sold out of available seats, while the ACC may have been at 90%. It's pretty hard to tell just by looking though. In any case, more people were at this gig for sure. They had the upper bowl of seats open tonight, and there were a decent number of fans there. At Hamilton those seats were totally closed off and covered up. The lower bowl was much more filled out than in Hamilton.

Great review from KBear so quoting that to ensure it gets seen.

I have not seen mention of the comment that someone made, I assume about Slash? Just before they kicked into Sorry, Axl stated something along the lines of So I was talking with an older guitar player from Sebs band and I am speculating that someone yelled SLASH! because Axl then turned to the the crowd on that side and said something like No assswipe, I said Sebs band or something to that effect. Anyone hear that?

Ashba, Ron and Fortus were ALL great. They all did a great job and made their presence known. In 06 I thought that Fortus took a bit of a back seat but last night he was much more involved. Maybe it was optics, maybe he just moved around more., Whatever - it was a great show.

No Whole Lotta Rosie, but a great show.

Ok I'll field that one - about the Slash comment.

Axl told a story that sounded like "So, this old guitarist..."

and someone yelled out SLASH??

It wasn't a cheer for Slash, to me I think the guy assumed Axl was going to talk about him

and Axl was still finishing when the guy said it. "... from Baz's band"

And I guess Axl heard him and said "whoever the asshole is, stick it in your ass."

Actually though I don't think the guy yelling it had any intent behind it. It's just that when you hear "old guitarist" - but yeah it was yelled out somewhere near where I was unless someone else yelled the same thing elsewhere.

Axl supposedly came out in a wheel chair

That's pretty weird. Where would he get one of those? Maybe he spent the day at the hospital after last night?

IDK, they are illegal in Canada.

Are you fucking retarded? Wheelchairs illegal?

It's true. Axl had to pay a fine.

Amazing Show!

Were to start, went to the Looses Moose around 7 pm unfortunately I didn’t meet any board members. Had a great time there. The place was jammed they where blasting GNR and playing their video. Got to the venue around 8:30 had chills seeing the huge screen outside light up with GNR tonight .Went to buy a shirt $45 OUCH! No thanks. Got to our seats and Baz was rocking it. Got excited when he played I remember and Youth gone wild...Baz was funny too I remember him saying something to the effect of “Remember when Much Music played actual rock songs”…then the lights went on and the waiting began don’t remember the time exactly but somewhere around 9:30. So my wife and I are dinking beers in the platinum area chatting with this event staff guy really nice guy use to play in the CFL…he had an ear piece communication thingy…He was hooked up to all the goings of the ACC...I asked him around 10:15 so is Axl in the building he said he has been here for about half hour…Anyways head back to the seats close to 10:30. While waiting wife makes friends with the people in a private box right under our section. I proceeded to get drunk of free Heineken till the show started. While there I talked to another Event Staff guy, apparently the hold up was that Axl would not go on stage unless he saw a physical therapist so people where running around trying to find one for him. True or not, I believe it especially in light of Axl’s comments at the show:

"Sorry about the delay, Got a little carried away jumping off stuff last night, Getting ready was like what the fuck? anyways im here now"

The show finally starts and I was blown away. I got major chills seeing Axl for the first time in my life. By the end of WTJ my voice is gone. I tell you I was going freaking nuts the whole show. High-lights include Better, TIL, CITR and YCBM. I have to say YCBM really floored me they nailed that one. I was like I can’t belive I’m seeing this shit. As for the new stuff off CD I have to say its totaly different live way better. Also I was really surprised how much I loved NR. The overplay of this song back in the 90’s ruined NR for me. But wow it was really freaking good live.

Other comments I felt the crowd sucked balls! When looked around at other pepole they seemed borded at time. Anything off the new CD was completley foreign to them. Also a lot of ppl left early. There are variy opions out there if the place was sold out. IMO the place was nowhere close to sellout lots and lots of room everywhere.

Was great show what else can I say. I thoughly enjoyed myself.

Edited by bp240

this is another show where he mentions the problems with their management, i would assume azoff and the other guy would be top dog and work alot of this shit out, idk why, i assume axl might be wanting his way done or something but im starting to think its not all his fault haha

They showed up one hour late. Many people were pissed off and left, lots of empty seats, the show was nowhere close to being sold out. The floor was not even packed. Yes I enjoyed the show but maybe they came early they could have played more songs. We didn't get patience, irs, civil war or something. Only 27 songs...

I ended up taping video and audio. Got full audio but there was so much security that I missed the first few songs on video. Other than the first 4 songs I taped the whole video but its from nose bleeds.

Loved the show don't get me wrong but I would really have loved it if they played more songs, maybe even 32 would have been good. This is Toronto, the biggest city in Canada, I was expecting a long night with at least 30+ songs

My first time seeing them but they didn't leave a good impression. Danko Jones was on time, Sebastian Bach was on time, why can't axl rose be on time? Anyways, it was fun, thanks GNR for a great night but I wish they played more songs. I will upload something on youtube

Shut the fuck up man, you sound like a whining bitch. Honestly, don't even deny that this show was good. Based on all your critisism it sounds like you were dissapointed. The place was packed, spare seats were taken up immediatly when Axl came on. (But yes, the floor wasn't that full). He sang well over the standard showtime of bands. Suck it up.

I have the right to be pissed off. He was one hour late. I do have work early but I still stayed up. And yes it was pretty empty, I don't know where you were but there were tons of empty seats. I took video and photos so I know. I've been to ACC many times and I know what a sold out show looks like. I love GNR but thats doesn't mean I will always defend them and say great things about them, just listing the facts. People left, people were pissed cause he was late and it was NOT close to being sold out.

Anyways here's a video for you all to enjoy

You realize, that there is a difference between PAID attendance and how many people actually attend the show. The fact that people weren't there doesn't mean that the seats weren't paid for.

Ali

Did anyone else notice last night that Bumblefoot did not come out with the band at the end for the final bow?? Not starting any rumors... just posting what I saw.

Or was it the angle I was sitting at (or too many beers) - I am pretty sure he was not there.

Maybe because...

Ron 'Bumblefoot' Thal Doped up on flu meds. Every step on stage was like squatting 400 pounds on a tightrope. Peeled off the backstage floor & sent to hotel...

Edited by Butliz

Did anyone else notice last night that Bumblefoot did not come out with the band at the end for the final bow?? Not starting any rumors... just posting what I saw.

Or was it the angle I was sitting at (or too many beers) - I am pretty sure he was not there.

Maybe because...

Ron 'Bumblefoot' Thal Doped up on flu meds. Every step on stage was like squatting 400 pounds on a tightrope. Peeled off the backstage floor & sent to hotel...

Fair enough... just woke up after reaching home at 4... so still catching up on the action!

Loved the passing around the bra bit... you could hear Axl comment on the mic - "DJ's is bigger"

Went last night, my first GNR show ever.

Awesome time.

Show was *not* sold out, the upper level opposite the stage had whole sections with only like 10 people in them.

Crowd was pretty subdued to the point where I wasn't sure they were even going to do an encore. Before "Nightrain" I think they were going to do "Out Ta Get me", but Axl vetoed it, maybe because the crowd wasn't going crazy like they should have been. After "Nightrain" alot of people left.

I think people were pissed off because of the late concert due to the fact that it was a Thursday and most people had to work the next morning.

Saw a guy filming near me, but he only got a few songs because security kept coming up by him and looking for his camera, so he had to hide it.

Baz is an *amazing* performer and knows how to get a crowd into anything.

its cool that he is partying with his bandmates but by the end of this tour he will sound like a shit. you cant drink and sing too often

I disagree. Completely. This might be true if you're an opera singer. But from my own experience, I used to sing in pubs and places like that. Mostly forgiving vocals (Floyd, Petty, etc.). But, when I was drinking, doing a few shots, I could pull off Axl's rasp almost perfectly. Especially if I had a few smokes too. Would do patience, used to love her, OIAM (mixing some verses up as to not offend anybody) and sweet child. W/O the booze, I could pull it off for 20 seconds or so before my throat would begin to itch and I'd cough uncontrollably. So, at least in my own personal experience, drinking some booze before trying to sing like that actually helps. I don't know if it gets your mucas glands going or something to coat your throat to keep it from getting irritated, but for me, I could sing with an almost identical rasp to Axl the whole night after doing a few shots of Jack. And no, it's not that I was drunk and only THOUGHT I sounded like him, it used to take a lot to get me loaded and the patrons would ask me to do some GNR because they loved the fact I could pull Axl off. But I'd only do it every now and then because I didn't want to drink everytime I performed!

I don't think it coincidence that Axl sounds pretty much just like he did in the early 90's and he's on stage drinking at the same time.

Makes perfectly good sense from my perspective.

I just hope he doesn't take it too far. Alcohol isn't something to play around with every night (I must be getting old).

its cool that he is partying with his bandmates but by the end of this tour he will sound like a shit. you cant drink and sing too often

I disagree. Completely. This might be true if you're an opera singer. But from my own experience, I used to sing in pubs and places like that. Mostly forgiving vocals (Floyd, Petty, etc.). But, when I was drinking, doing a few shots, I could pull off Axl's rasp almost perfectly. Especially if I had a few smokes too. Would do patience, used to love her, OIAM (mixing some verses up as to not offend anybody) and sweet child. W/O the booze, I could pull it off for 20 seconds or so before my throat would begin to itch and I'd cough uncontrollably. So, at least in my own personal experience, drinking some booze before trying to sing like that actually helps. I don't know if it gets your mucas glands going or something to coat your throat to keep it from getting irritated, but for me, I could sing with an almost identical rasp to Axl the whole night after doing a few shots of Jack. And no, it's not that I was drunk and only THOUGHT I sounded like him, it used to take a lot to get me loaded and the patrons would ask me to do some GNR because they loved the fact I could pull Axl off. But I'd only do it every now and then because I didn't want to drink everytime I performed!

I don't think it coincidence that Axl sounds pretty much just like he did in the early 90's and he's on stage drinking at the same time.

Makes perfectly good sense from my perspective.

I just hope he doesn't take it too far. Alcohol isn't something to play around with every night (I must be getting old).

Axl uses to drink a lot during his tours-nights. I remember listening histories about his after concert parties, or when he hangs out with people like Kimi Raikonen ,,, a fucking alcoholic guy :rofl-lol:

I think that won´t affect his voice cause he always improve it during the tours (remember 2006)

Ok just thought I'd add in a few things

Whoever said the floor was empyty wasn't on it.

Floor was packed and everyone crammed forward throughout the show. It probably looked smaller at the end as everyone wound up packed in like sardines going to the front.

I can't speak for the stands because I wasn't looking at them but the floor was really into the show. Got some moshing going. Was tons of fun. If the World, Better, Street of Dreams, and This I Love went over best from the new songs. Jungle, Easy, Sweet Child, NR, YCBM, Nightrain and PC for the old stuff.

This show should put the Slash shit to rest - a guy right at the front had a big Slash flag. No one took it, no one spoke to him. I dunno what his reasons were - if he was trying to get a reaction, he failed. Just kinda looked silly and he put it away shortly after GNR took the stage.

Axl threw roses into the crowd at the end.

The sections at the back being empty - those were the sections right under the boxes at the back. They had people but not a lot, but there aren't even many rows. There was probably abot 1000 emptry seats in a place that holds about 16,000 for a concert. That's a guesstimate. That's upper deck only I might add. Lower bowl was full (I'm sure there was the odd seat), floor packed, upper bowls sides were packed, corners and back thinned out but those are the smallest sections. If you're bitching about the size of the show, a lot of bands don't get that kind of turnout these days. Billy Talent - huge here - didn't even try to sell as many tickets, they used a smaller venue configuration.

Some poor girl looked like she really wanted to flash. Like when the cameras were on the chicks she stood up, started dancing, she was smoking fucking hot, and no one put a camera on her! :P Just thought I'd point that out as a warm-blooded male... they kept going back to the same two girls - who were cute but there was lots of other lovely ladies in the arena last night.

I still can't get over the security overkill. Hamilton was much more laid back - but Toronto was the better show.

Back from the show too. Yeah, I would've liked Axl to start at 10:30, but why all the shock that he came on at 11:30? I remember back in 2006, I think both shows I saw he started well after 11pm. GN'R fans should be conditioned by now to realize that they may be waiting around a while. But yeah, the crowd was getting a bit restless and started booing every time one of the songs playing on the PA ended and GN'R didn't take the stage.

All in all the show lasted about how long I expected, 2.5 hours. Perhaps we got short changed on a few songs. Hamilton was the better show for me. Not that the band performed better there, actually I felt that they were probably better tonight. Axl was moving around more than he was at the Hamilton show, not that he wasn't moving lots there, but tonight it was almost like watching Axl in his prime. I guess with every show his conditioning improves. In Hamilton though, we were so damn close to the stage and just had a fantastic view, while tonight I was much further away.

Pretty good sound tonight, though there were times that Axl's vocals weren't loud enough. Not sure what the problem was there. The wheelchair, I think it was just Axl kidding around after he showed up late. Like lay off, I've got a good reason, I'm in a god damn wheelchair!

Ron Thal is the fucking man. He is stealing the show on guitar, IMO. And those guitars of his are so damn sexy. Watching DJ is like watching Slash, the top hat and the way he moves, I'm sure he's emulating the man. Never been a huge Fortus fan, but he's got tons of energy up there and is pretty fun to watch too, and the man can play. Can't really complain about these guys, other than to say none of them is Slash (:shrugs:), but Axl's assembled a pretty kick ass group of performers.

I'm starting to like TIL more and more, Axl just belts out those lyrics. Sounds amazing in a live setting. Paradise City was the best sounding I've heard the new band play it, ever! CITR, fuck yes! Love the song. The album version is an abomination, however. Hopefully we get to hear a great quality live version in bootleg form, because it sounded really great tonight. It still won't be up to par against the demo though. All that said, many fans were clearly not there to hear new material. As more and more new songs got played and the night started to drag on I think the late start hurt in this respect as many people cut out early.

The show was closer to capacity than Hamilton. I pegged Hamilton at 75% sold out of available seats, while the ACC may have been at 90%. It's pretty hard to tell just by looking though. In any case, more people were at this gig for sure. They had the upper bowl of seats open tonight, and there were a decent number of fans there. At Hamilton those seats were totally closed off and covered up. The lower bowl was much more filled out than in Hamilton.

Great review from KBear so quoting that to ensure it gets seen.

I have not seen mention of the comment that someone made, I assume about Slash? Just before they kicked into Sorry, Axl stated something along the lines of So I was talking with an older guitar player from Sebs band and I am speculating that someone yelled SLASH! because Axl then turned to the the crowd on that side and said something like No assswipe, I said Sebs band or something to that effect. Anyone hear that?

Ashba, Ron and Fortus were ALL great. They all did a great job and made their presence known. In 06 I thought that Fortus took a bit of a back seat but last night he was much more involved. Maybe it was optics, maybe he just moved around more., Whatever - it was a great show.

No Whole Lotta Rosie, but a great show.

IMO, Axl does the best WLR after Bon Scott, better than even Brian Johnson and that's saying a lot, because I think that Brian is awesome.

I heard it the same way you did. Actually, what I heard was Axl say "So I was talking with an older guitar player from this band". So right away I think Slash or Izzy. Then I heard Axl say the second line about him being from Baz's band, so I must've misheard him when I heard him say "this band" in the first line.

Anyhow, I got to see two great shows so I'm pretty happy. Only wish I could've seen them play I.R.S and also Dead Horse and The Garden (but it looks like the latter two will not be happening, unless there is a reunion, which means we will probably never hear them again).

Axl supposedly came out in a wheel chair

That's pretty weird. Where would he get one of those? Maybe he spent the day at the hospital after last night?

IDK, they are illegal in Canada.

Are you fucking retarded? Wheelchairs illegal?

:lol: We don't like to coddle our handicapped people. Otherwise, how can you expect them to walk ever again? So never mind all the people you see in Toronto just dragging themselves along on our sidewalks, it's just the handicapped!

Edited by KBear

Ummmm just got home from Toronto,well to say the least it was a very intersting night almost thought it was'nt gonna happen for awhile there phewww.It was tense there for awhile,I met Jarmo,and Mike and a couple other members from here and jarmo's site.Me and mike headed to the ACC together,never did meet Crowebar but we did talk but he called me in the middle of Baz and i could not hear them my phone dies.Anyhow i see there are enough posts that i don't need.It was pretty damm late night i can say that glad i got a room.I had a great seat i was right in front to the left side catwalk Axl stood in front of me alot and looked at me and wiked a couple time,made my night,i never took any pic's as i seen a few people get tossed for taking pic's and video,there was alot of fucked up people there lol.passing out falling down etc,overall i had a great time I was wore out by 1am to fucking old for these all nighters anymore.All I can say is i am so happy Axl showed up,

Ummmm just got home from Toronto,well to say the least it was a very intersting night almost thought it was'nt gonna happen for awhile there phewww.It was tense there for awhile,I met Jarmo,and Mike and a couple other members from here and jarmo's site.Me and mike headed to the ACC together,never did meet Crowebar but we did talk but he called me in the middle of Baz and i could not hear them my phone dies.Anyhow i see there are enough posts that i don't need.It was pretty damm late night i can say that glad i got a room.I had a great seat i was right in front to the left side catwalk Axl stood in front of me alot and looked at me and wiked a couple time,made my night,i never took any pic's as i seen a few people get tossed for taking pic's and video,there was alot of fucked up people there lol.passing out falling down etc,overall i had a great time I was wore out by 1am to fucking old for these all nighters anymore.All I can say is i am so happy Axl showed up,

hey dude. it was a crazy night indeed. sorry we didn't end up meeting @ the moose. we had a lot of fun trying to get a cab back to the hotel!!

Edit:-I'm getting old too. Gotta go and take a nap. :sleeper:

Edited by Crowebar