Official Toronto Thread 1/28/10

Blaine_sixx

Guns N' Roses Prove Sometimes You Can't Go Back Home Again

Guns N' Roses circa 2010 can definitely cut it in technical proficiency — all are talented musicians. They're not exactly left in the background while Rose takes the spotlight (all three guitarists got their own instrumental solos). But the sense of menace and seething anger is missing from the current incarnation. It's what drew me to them as an impressionable 12-year-old.

While Rose still carries these qualities with him everywhere he goes, the rest of the band seem subservient to his whims. It's not that the original line-up didn't have to deal with his antics; they put up with quite a lot, in fact. But the group always felt like a unit who had lived the nihilistic lyrics of their songs and had come together to take on the world. It's a quality that you can't replicate and no matter how good this band gets, Guns N' Roses will never have that again.

http://www.chartattack.com/reviews/79008/guns-n-roses-prove-sometimes-you-cant-go-back-home-again

This guy put into words what I could "feel" after seeing the show, but somehow couldn't explain. The new band is great, the show was great, but this:"But the group always felt like a unit who had lived the nihilistic lyrics of their songs and had come together to take on the world. It's a quality that you can't replicate and no matter how good this band gets, Guns N' Roses will never have that again", is absolutely spot on. That being said, even if the "original" afd lineup was still together, it would likely be the same ie that "spark" would no longer be there imo. They're all older now, have lots of money, have passed all the original angst that drove them, etc. I love chi dem, so I do not agree with the part where the reviewer says the tunes were "snoozers" or whatever, but I do agree with the part about the band kinda just "whisking" through the afd tunes kinda like "hafta play em" sort of deal. If, for example, this new lineup, writes/records/tours a new album, that "they" created, the feeling might be different imo. And totally agree with YCBM kicking major ass (november rain also, even though Im not a big fan of it other than the solos).

Cheers

TV

I'm gonna be nice. Ya sound naive. It really sucks that you know the vibe haschanged but still buy a ticket. Axl thanks you...

Why the bashing? I think the new band is great, show was great, etc. and I don't want a reunion. Didn't bash Axl either, he was fantastic.....Maybe because my username is "Slashz28" you sort of misread what I meant. I went in with the mindset that it would be a great show (which it was imo, Baz included, cause I went just as much to see Baz as I went to see gnr), and came away feeling it was a great show. Probably just not explaining it right. Anyway, I do take offense to being called "naive", I mean wtf? I won't retort to name calling on here cause it 's just childish for no good reason.

Anyway,

Cheers

TV

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guns N' Roses circa 2010 can definitely cut it in technical proficiency — all are talented musicians. They're not exactly left in the background while Rose takes the spotlight (all three guitarists got their own instrumental solos). But the sense of menace and seething anger is missing from the current incarnation. It's what drew me to them as an impressionable 12-year-old.

While Rose still carries these qualities with him everywhere he goes, the rest of the band seem subservient to his whims. It's not that the original line-up didn't have to deal with his antics; they put up with quite a lot, in fact. But the group always felt like a unit who had lived the nihilistic lyrics of their songs and had come together to take on the world. It's a quality that you can't replicate and no matter how good this band gets, Guns N' Roses will never have that again.

http://www.chartattack.com/reviews/79008/guns-n-roses-prove-sometimes-you-cant-go-back-home-again

This guy put into words what I could "feel" after seeing the show, but somehow couldn't explain. The new band is great, the show was great, but this:"But the group always felt like a unit who had lived the nihilistic lyrics of their songs and had come together to take on the world. It's a quality that you can't replicate and no matter how good this band gets, Guns N' Roses will never have that again", is absolutely spot on. That being said, even if the "original" afd lineup was still together, it would likely be the same ie that "spark" would no longer be there imo. They're all older now, have lots of money, have passed all the original angst that drove them, etc. I love chi dem, so I do not agree with the part where the reviewer says the tunes were "snoozers" or whatever, but I do agree with the part about the band kinda just "whisking" through the afd tunes kinda like "hafta play em" sort of deal. If, for example, this new lineup, writes/records/tours a new album, that "they" created, the feeling might be different imo. And totally agree with YCBM kicking major ass (november rain also, even though Im not a big fan of it other than the solos).

Cheers

TV

I'm gonna be nice. Ya sound naive. It really sucks that you know the vibe haschanged but still buy a ticket. Axl thanks you...

Why the bashing? I think the new band is great, show was great, etc. and I don't want a reunion. Didn't bash Axl either, he was fantastic.....Maybe because my username is "Slashz28" you sort of misread what I meant. I went in with the mindset that it would be a great show (which it was imo, Baz included, cause I went just as much to see Baz as I went to see gnr), and came away feeling it was a great show. Probably just not explaining it right. Anyway, I do take offense to being called "naive", I mean wtf? I won't retort to name calling on here cause it 's just childish for no good reason.

Anyway,

Cheers

TV

Yeah, Baz was a surprise for me. I just thought of him as a retro 80's novelty, but I'm so impressed with how this guy can still perform, with a great voice and energy. I had pointed out to my friend that I had heard he was in this year's Celebrity Fit Club. I had thought that was a show about weight loss (don't know to be honest) but how could it be when you could bounce a dime off of Baz's gut. My friend, who was more aware of Skid Row back in the day than I was, said he looks exactly the same as he did back then. Good Canadian genes, I'd say. And certainly a great lead in for GnR.

I just find it interesting how Lethal Weapon selects the bits he agrees with, and leaves out the positive stuff. From the very same review.

Not that it matters much to Axl, who ran around the stage like a young man. He was in far better shape than on his last two tours, both physically and mentally. Up there on an arena stage, in front of 21,000 fans, he's rarely looked happier.

And when the guitars chimed out the indelible opening riff to 'Sweet Child O' Mine' or the chorus to 'Paradise City' sparked a thousands-strong sing-along, the crowd looked just as content.

And why hate on a negative review? If you don't like the show, you don't like the show, but it seems that some reviewers go in with the mindset of it "not being the real GNR" and this gets in their way when they're reviewing the show afterwards. Common for many reviews is that they spend more time talking about what wasn't there instead of what was. We all know the story by now.

Yeah, it's pretty pathetic on BBA's part considering the lengths he goes to and the fact that he wasn't even at the show to have his own opinion. Oh well. That's his tired act.

Ali

Cheers

TV

Anyway,

Cheers

TV

I understand what you're saying, but I'm not sure the original band couldn't get back what they had together that made them great.

The main problem with restoring the chemestry between Axl and Slash is that they don't like each other. That would be apparent in any performance and would need to be worked out long before.

Axl came out on a wheelchair? I need to see pictures/footage of this!

Oh and I hope their delay doesn't become a habbit.

I'm thinking it was a mistake to book two big shows like this back to back, plus some type of appearance at a club.

so the club musique musique rumour is true?

I don't know. I can't figure it out from what's been posted here.

The Club Muzique was official. Here's the ad... We told you before it was official in the other thread. Remember I said "admit gave me permission to mention it..."

Here ya go... http://www.montrealguestlist.com/images/news/2010-01-23/muziquegunsroses.jpg

MicEffecT, to be clear and not to mislead anyone on the Forum, wich admin are you refering to, because I don't recall discussing the Club Muzique with you or confirming anything.

Eric (admin)

I understand what you're saying, but I'm not sure the original band couldn't get back what they had together that made them great.

The main problem with restoring the chemestry between Axl and Slash is that they don't like each other. That would be apparent in any performance and would need to be worked out long before.

Wow, can you imagine the team of lawyers and psychoanalysts it would take to pull that off? I think in the end, they were always travelling in different directions and for a brief period of time their paths crossed and we benefited from it. And now this lineup's paths have crossed and we are benefiting again. Yay for us.

Yeah, Baz was a surprise for me. I just thought of him as a retro 80's novelty, but I'm so impressed with how this guy can still perform, with a great voice and energy. I had pointed out to my friend that I had heard he was in this year's Celebrity Fit Club. I had thought that was a show about weight loss (don't know to be honest) but how could it be when you could bounce a dime off of Baz's gut. My friend, who was more aware of Skid Row back in the day than I was, said he looks exactly the same as he did back then. Good Canadian genes, I'd say. And certainly a great lead in for GnR.

Baz is by far my favorite rock vocalist ever. The dude can sing. If you've never heard the album Slave To The Grind, pick it up. That album, AFD , and Too Fast For Love (Motley Crue), are tied as my favorite all time albums. Still can't get enough of them 20 + years later. Glad he threw in Monkey Business (only cut off Slave he played), but the rest of his list was stellar as well. He does look exactly the same as back then, just older (obviously). Great energy, rocks, wails like a banshee. Awesome. Angel Down is a very good album also, but I find Baz is only as good as his band is ie most of the skid row songs were penned by Bolan/Snake if I'm not mistaken. He could turn a turd to gold with his vocals, but the music's gotta be solid as well. Hopefully he writes/records a new disc with his new guitarist as well (19 years old I think? that's how old Baz was on the first Skid Row record as well if I'm not mistaken). Danko was solid as well I must say, although not a fan really.

TV

Anyone else find it interesting that the ChartAttack reviewer tied his opinion of "Street of Dreams" and "Sorry" directly into the fact that he was missing his train?

I understand the frustration. I've dealt with GN'R coming on late myself. But, that is an issue apart from the performances of the songs themselves.

Ali

Anyone else find it interesting that the ChartAttack reviewer tied his opinion of "Street of Dreams" and "Sorry" directly into the fact that he was missing his train?

I understand the frustration. I've dealt with GN'R coming on late myself. But, that is an issue apart from the performances of the songs themselves.

Ali

The Chart Attack journalist went into the show hating CD, He must of missed on his ticket "Chinese Democracy World Tour".

He also says he's wanted to see Guns since he was 12, did he forget it's just Axl and he hates Chinese Democracy.

The guys sounds like an idiot,

I saw this posted on the ETS (NIN forums) WTF?

Axl "dedicated" (not a word he used) the song "Catcher in the Rye" to JD Salinger. There were cheers while Axl (looking totally unperturbed) announced that he'd died that day.

People cheered when Axl said that he would play CITR (not that most of them actually knew the song). Or perhaps they cheered the mention of JD Salinger because he was respected by many in the crowd. I don't think they cheered that he was dead! Axl did look unperturbed though. He said Salinger died and kind of shrugged his shoulders with a look on his face like it wasn't a big deal. But I wouldn't read anything into it. Axl did mention him after all, and pretty much dedicated the playing of CITR to him. I don't think he used the word but he said, since Salinger passed away they would play this song, so it's pretty much the same thing. And it's not like Axl is going to cry about it on stage, or for that matter at all. I don't believe he actually knew Salinger.

Edited by KBear

No sure if this review has been posted.....just found it

My link

Guns N’ Roses defy logic in Toronto (1/28)

By Gilles Leblanc on January 30th, 2010

When you go to a Guns N’ Roses concert, like I did on Thursday, January 28 at Air Canada Centre in Toronto, there are a couple of things you can count on. Seeing copious of bandanas and tasselled leather, for one. The possibility of a riot breaking out any night. And whatever the incarnation, the near-ironclad guarantee that the band will take the stage later than anticipated.

Even knowing all this going in, I wasn’t expecting what the guesstimated 15,000 or so fans at the ACC did when it became obvious that GN’R weren’t going to start until 11:30 PM at least, something I can’t say I’ve EVER heard at a concert before.

They began booing. LOUDLY.

And I’m talking vicious, Maple Leafs-winless-in-six-games catcalls. Not even quick shots the two video screens kept displaying of women flashing their bras and thongs were enough to keep the restless crowd entertained.

Once Axl Rose and his new friends emerged through the pyrotechnics accompanying opener “Chinese Democracy”, all seemed forgiven. It was fleeting, though, as fatigue had definitely set in. The familiar riff to ‘Welcome to the Jungle’ that followed kept folks awake, but it was only for one more song.

I give “Guns N’ Roses 2010” full marks for trying their darness to put on a good show despite everyone in the building going comatose all at once. They were very good, better than I thought they’d be. I KNOW I would have enjoyed them a heck of a lot more had they gone on an hour earlier!

What guitarists Richard Fortus, DJ Ashba, and Ron “Bumblefoot” Thal may be lacking in live recklessness compared to the original lineup is more than made up for in musical professionalism. (Late start time aside!)

Not only did they breathe new life into “classics” such as “You Could Be Mine” and even “Sweet Child o’ Mine”, each was given an opportunity to shine in the spotlight while Axl changed outfits more times than Beyoncé or Céline Dion combined!

Ashba, in particular, was on fire during his solo. (Seriously, there seemed to be some kind of smoke emitting off of him as he rocked out!)

I didn’t even mind listening to most of the songs from Chinese Democracy, although nine out of a setlist of 25 songs was a little too much for my liking. A nice touch was when Axl dedicated “Catcher in the Rye” to the author he named the track after, J.D. Salinger, who had passed away earlier in the day at age 91.

Not to be outdone, Axl provided a seriously highlight of the night (Or would that be morning?) by covering Elton John’s “Someone Saved My Life Tonight” on piano before segueing into “November Rain”, complete with oversized sparklers!

While certainly impressive at times, I couldn’t help saying to myself repeatedly how this just wasn’t worth staying up for. Sorry Axl; I know you probably don’t care that my kids had school the next day, or that I’d have to take a cab because the buses and subway in Toronto stop running at 1:30. Not many of us get to sleep in like you do, you know?

Mercifully, we DIDN’T get a 3 hour performance, as the band has been doing with surprising frequency since embarking on this Canadian tour a few weeks ago — Making my way out as “Paradise City” sent us all home into the night just before 2 AM as confetti and streamers went off was MORE than enough for this old-time rocker, thank you very much!

I was really, really hoping that I would be convinced that Axl Rose’s “new and improved” version of GN’R deserved my support. I’ve been a fan since 1988, but I’m not someone who continuously pines for the names of yore, the ones we all know and love — Slash…Izzy…Duff…Adler… Get over it folks; a reunion with Axl ain’t never gonna happen, and not for all the money in the world, apparently.

Maybe it’s my tiredness that’s still talking, but the payoff just wasn’t there for me. That’s not to say there isn’t potential — Get your $#!% together, Axl, stop jerking us around, and start your shows at a decent time. You have a lot of fans who’d be willing to give you one more chance, myself included.

Setlist:

Chinese Democracy

Welcome to the Jungle

It’s So Easy

Mr. Brownstone

Sorry

Better

Richard Fortus Guitar Solo (James Bond Theme)

Live and Let Die

If the World

Dizzy Reed Piano Solo

Street of Dreams

Rocket Queen

Catcher in the Rye

DJ Ashba Guitar Solo

Sweet Child o’ Mine

Axl Rose Piano Solo (Someone Saved My Life Tonight by Elton John)

November Rain

Bumblefoot Guitar Solo (The Pink Panther Theme)

You Could Be Mine

Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door

Nightrain

Encore:

Shackler’s Revenge

Madagascar

This I Love

Paradise City

http://thestar.blogs.com/.a/6a00d8341bf8f353ef012877272a0a970c-pi

Looks like Axl has been stretching and stuff.. I can't kick that high anymore lol.

Wow. You have to be in pretty good shape to kick that high.

So, this pic should silence some of the people who claim he's not in shape.

I heard a lot of years ago that Axl practised Kick Boxing ...

The guy brings up a good point about enjoying the show alot more if it started an hour earlier..I remember having to wait about 2 hours in Worcester in 06...it was dreadful, and I wasn't even on the floor!

For sure. I worked from 9am til 8pm that day, then went to the show. The Toronto show was less fun for me due to where we sat compared to Hamilton, but I think the long day and late start also had an impact. You can pretty much have an entire concert in the time spent waiting after Baz was done. 10:30 til 1am is pretty much perfect as far as timing goes. I'm not complaining, I'd go again and wait, that's no problem. But it definitely sucks a bit of the life out of things.

The guy brings up a good point about enjoying the show alot more if it started an hour earlier..I remember having to wait about 2 hours in Worcester in 06...it was dreadful, and I wasn't even on the floor!

For sure. I worked from 9am til 8pm that day, then went to the show. The Toronto show was less fun for me due to where we sat compared to Hamilton, but I think the long day and late start also had an impact. You can pretty much have an entire concert in the time spent waiting after Baz was done. 10:30 til 1am is pretty much perfect as far as timing goes. I'm not complaining, I'd go again and wait, that's no problem. But it definitely sucks a bit of the life out of things.

Yes, it´s completly understable. When i went to the Madrid concert i had to work next day and they started two hours later ... people were really angry ...

Axl came out on a wheelchair? I need to see pictures/footage of this!

Oh and I hope their delay doesn't become a habbit.

I'm thinking it was a mistake to book two big shows like this back to back, plus some type of appearance at a club.

so the club musique musique rumour is true?

I don't know. I can't figure it out from what's been posted here.

The Club Muzique was official. Here's the ad... We told you before it was official in the other thread. Remember I said "admit gave me permission to mention it..."

Here ya go... http://www.montrealguestlist.com/images/news/2010-01-23/muziquegunsroses.jpg

MicEffecT, to be clear and not to mislead anyone on the Forum, wich admin are you refering to, because I don't recall discussing the Club Muzique with you or confirming anything.

Eric (admin)

I have sent ya a PM on this. Don't wanna rattle chains lol.

Edited by MicEffecT

Yes, it´s completly understable. When i went to the Madrid concert i had to work next day and they started two hours later ... people were really angry ...

Yeah they went on at 11:56 in Worcester in 06...played about 2 hrs 45 minutes, we had an hour long drive home, and my brother in law had to be at work at 6 the next morning, that just sucks haha, but at least the show was killer

Looks like Axl has been stretching and stuff.. I can't kick that high anymore lol.

He still does

He still does

How do you know?

Yeah they went on at 11:56 in Worcester in 06...played about 2 hrs 45 minutes, we had an hour long drive home, and my brother in law had to be at work at 6 the next morning, that just sucks haha, but at least the show was killer

I dargged my wife to the show. She had a great time but was freaking pissed in the morning when she woke up to go to work. She was cursing Axl the whole time getting ready. I was partying in a private box during the wait. I asked an event coordinator who stoped by what the delay was. Apparently Axl refused to go until he saw a physiotherapist. They were scrambling trying to find him one. I believe it. Makes sense considering the comments in his apology. That he jumped off some shit the night before. But what I don't get is why the hell do you wait til show time to ask for a physiotherapist, you had all freaking day. Oh well I didn’t care well worth the wait. What can I say that's why I love our arrogant red headed freak show Axl, if he didn’t give fuck well it just wouldn’t be Axl.

He should start wearing the little shorts again, so he can feel more comfortable dong his thing... Plus is candy for the eyes... :rolleyes:

He still does

How do you know?

Because he is his sparring :rofl-lol:

:xmassrudolph: